Author Topic: UNI-T UTG932/UTG962 200MSa/s Function Arbitrary Waveform Generator  (Read 111516 times)

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UNI-T UTG932/UTG962 200MSa/s Function Arbitrary Waveform Generator
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2021, 12:12:14 am »
Few days ago, I received my UTG962E ...

Here are the results of my first investigations

1)  could confirm the video-loop from IAmBack (Replay #236 June 25, 12:50 pm)
    - second reference was my old MHS5200A  (26bit DDS-core claim 200MHz, but running at 176MHz)
    - next step was a frequency measurement over time (10s gate time)
        -> observed instable results
        -> did time sequence for UTG962 and MHS5200A   picture: 20MHz_frequency_drift_comparison
           what can we see
           - frequency counter is good enough
           - MHS5200A is showing smooth frequency drift during heating up
           - UTG962 WTF ... ???

====snip====

That's very reminiscent of the vcxo jitter in an SDG1032X I'd purchased last November and returned for a full refund.

I'd submitted plenty of screenshots and movies as evidence of the issue but there was a seeming complete and utter lack of understanding by all those involved so, in the end, I simply insisted on a full refund and return of the FG so I could go elsewhere for my SDG2042X I'd decided to upgrade to.

I've attached a short movie file demonstrating the issue, using my FY6600-60M outputting a 10MHz sine and a Sinc wave on channels 1 and 4 respectively with the LPRO 101 thrown in for good measure on channel 3 as an independent source to show that neither that nor the FY6600 are responsible for this low frequency instability. The FY6600 was running from its internal 10MHz OCXO, not locked to anything.

Actually, after checking the video again, It looks like I'd had my gpsdo reference plugged into it. I just spotted the BNC Tee adaptor. I think I'd have been comparing the GPSDO's output against the 10MHz sine output of the FY6600 and had simply borrowed the bnc patch lead that had been going to the 'scope anyway in order to run this test. Mind you, that's still two separate and independent reference sources to positively identify the guilty party, namely in this case, the brand spanking new SDG1032X (specifically its internal VCXO - connecting it to an external 10MHz reference whether the LPRO 101 or the gpsdo would completely eliminate this low frequency jitter).

BTW eevblog's file type restrictions have obliged me to tack the .zip extension onto the end of the filename. Just rename it to get rid of this spurious extension before trying to play it. :)

John

Offline BugCatcher

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: October 02, 2021, 09:44:40 pm »
Found a bug!

My version is:   SW 1.09, HW 1.01, FPGA 1.07
Problem is the "start frequency" for the sweep mode.
In both modes ("line" and "log") the entered value for "start frequency" is always ignored. HW starts at 0Hz!

Offline BugCatcher

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2021, 12:25:30 pm »
I did further investigations regarding the 50MHz oscillator. The attached diagram shows the frequency deviation during a cold-start (4h observation period).
The measured frequency was a generated 4MHz sine.
What could I see:
- error for the final frequency is about -0.8ppm (my first measurement after unboxing:  -2.3ppm ... 4 weeks ago)
- deviation during the 4h is in the interval -0.96ppm ... -0.74ppm  -> total range for the cold-start  0.22ppm
=> that's excellent! There is at least a TCXO in the box.
   Could it be a factory calibrated VCTCXO?

I opened the box and investigated the suspect pin 1 of the oscillator:
- there was a 4k7 pull up connected to the power supply
- a measurement confirmed 3.3V
=> it's only a TCXO

The time diagram shows more details:
(please keep in mind: we are discussing sub 0.1ppm effects!)

1) oscillation with a peak-peak amplitude of 0.05ppm
   frequency of oscillation is slowing down
2) "noise" with +/- 0.01ppm

My interpretation for the first effect:
- TCXO internal temperature compensation is a digital implementation
  -> quantization (steps) for the measured temperature
  -> quantization (steps) for the generated frequency  -> I observed approx. 0.05ppm/step
  -> the frequency of the applied frequency steps is related to the amount of temperature drift (high rate after switching on)

My interpretation for the second effect:
- introduced by the algorithm for enhanced frequency resolution (dithering -> noise like deviation)

Summary:
- impact of TCXO is bigger ...                                             but with much lower probability!
- impact of algorithm for enhanced frequency resolution is smaller ...     but always present!
- both impacts are for 99.9% of all "Function Generator Applications" invisible!
- the bug with the lower frequency of the sweep range is more annoying ...

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2021, 06:41:48 am »
@ Bugcatcher

Did you run the tests with the supplied cheapo power supply ?
I found running my UTG962 from an Agilent 6612A power source removed 99% of all the noise .  (5.000v,  amps set to 1.5A . UTG962 draws about 990ma to 1.108 amps stabilizing @ 1.088v after about 20 minuets

I found that it's about 99% accurate .  Taking into account that's its $100 equipment .

25MHZ sine reads 24.999894 MHZ on a calibrated HP5385A only the last digit fluctuates .
 4MHZ sine reads 3.9999831 MHZ  @ 1vpp   +- 3 -7 (last digit)
 10MHZ sine Reads  9.9999580 MHZ @ 1vpp   +- 3 -7  (last digit)
My one is nearly a year old and I haven't seen any changes as such. 
 I think you are looking for a perfect  $10 TCXO ( probably more like $1 )
Personally I think it would be hard to find something as good that just works OUT the BOX .
For around $100 / $120
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 06:47:17 am by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline BugCatcher

• Contributor
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2021, 10:00:52 pm »
@ Labrat101

I used the original power adapter @230V/50Hz.  Do you have 115V or 230V? 115V could be closer to the limit of the adapter.

My intention is not a perfect TCXO ... I'm eager to understand the root cause for the "unwanted jitter". Now we know two potential contributions ...
Reading the "reply#275 from Johnny B Good" we know that this is not a specific UTG962 problem.
I checked the data sheets for the SDG1032X and the SDG2042X. The cheaper one is not showing a measured spectrum
... the better one is showing a clean spectrum!

Repeated a few tests with a linear power supply (5V, 1008mA @ 100% brightness,  5V, 890mA @ 30% brightness)
- cold start frequency drift           (cold_start_linear_ps)
- spectrum for 10MHz sine (5-15MHz). This time I used the ADALM2000 device with scopy SW.
  b.t.w. This is a very exciting device:  2 channel 12bit ADC/DAC @ 100MHz, FFT up to 256k, averaging, ...
   - with the original power adapter   (spec_orig_pa_3500mVpp_50R)
   - with a linear power supply        (spec_linear_ps_3500mVpp_50R)

I could not see any relevant differences!

Update regarding "start frequency" for "sweep mode":

Tried to document this for UNI-T (they are asking for a video). Big surprise: bug was gone ??!!
During my first investigation I tried everything to start at > 0Hz ... nothing helped (power off/on, changing mode, changing frequencies, ...).
I missed documenting this with a video ...

Then I tried the same game with "log" instead of "line" ... BINGO! A log sweep from 5 to 6MHz should be close to a linear sweep.
Looks like the SW is interpreting 5MHz as a frequency close to 0Hz!  -> I took a video for UNI-T

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2021, 10:31:13 pm »
I am on 250 VAC  50hz .  well it reads 249vac to be exact .

There was some guy that did a full break  down of 4 models UTG962 the Rigol ,Siglent , and I forgot the other   :palm: .
I will try and find the link he did a really good comparison very long from what I recall 20 pages on a PDF.
and compared the UTG against some of the way more expensive and from I recall the UTG came very close
to second place . I will search for the document I am sure I downloaded it . it was last year so I have thousands
of PDFs to search .
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:40:37 pm by Labrat101 »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2021, 02:07:59 am »
There was some guy that did a full break  down of 4 models UTG962 the Rigol ,Siglent , and I forgot the other   :palm: .
I will try and find the link he did a really good comparison very long from what I recall 20 pages on a PDF.
and compared the UTG against some of the way more expensive and from I recall the UTG came very close
to second place . I will search for the document I am sure I downloaded it . it was last year so I have thousands
of PDFs to search .

Perhaps it was these blog posts on element14:

https://www.element14.com/community/groups/roadtest/blog/2020/05/17/tektronix-afg31052-verification-tests

https://www.element14.com/community/groups/roadtest/blog/2020/05/17/tektronix-afg31052-verification-tests-part-2

The following users thanked this post: Labrat101

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2021, 07:10:57 am »
of PDFs to search .

Perhaps it was these blog posts on element14:

https://www.element14.com/community/groups/roadtest/blog/2020/05/17/tektronix-afg31052-verification-tests

https://www.element14.com/community/groups/roadtest/blog/2020/05/17/tektronix-afg31052-verification-tests-part-2
Thanks, Yes this looks like the review . saved me the search  :-+
 This guy did some really good reviews and well laid out covering most of the spectrums .
 This was one of the reasons that made me go for the UTG962 .  $120 or  $2k Plus   :phew:
 Even the big boys equipment has Bugs . with updates to firmware . Though the UTG962 I don't think it will get this privilege.
But its big brother does .
 If any one is looking for a Bug free life . Sorry it won't happen . It inheritance in the human behaviour   :palm:

:popcorn:  Live long & happy  :-+
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:15:51 am by Labrat101 »

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2021, 02:03:45 pm »
I received my UTG932E yesterday. I am impressed by the build quality for the price !  :-+

The CPU is a Gigadevice GD32F207ZCT6 (crazy what you can do with isopropanol and a good view angle).

The firmware is not protected... I could not resist ... >:D

After dumping the code I was able to extract the SCPI commands that are recognized by the device. That could come handy when trying to remote control the device.
Some of them still need to be identified.

The commands are:
Code: [Select]
*IDN
*RST
CHANnel<n>:AMPLitude:UNIT
CHANnel<n>:ARB:INDex
CHANnel<n>:ARB:SOURce
CHANnel<n>:BASE:AMPLitude
CHANnel<n>:BASE:DUTY
CHANnel<n>:BASE:FREQuency
CHANnel<n>:BASE:HIGH
CHANnel<n>:BASE:LOW
CHANnel<n>:BASE:OFFSet
CHANnel<n>:BASE:PERiod
CHANnel<n>:BASE:PHASe
CHANnel<n>:BASE:WAVe
CHANnel<n>:FM:FREQuency:DEV
CHANnel<n>:FSK:HOPPing:FREQuency
CHANnel<n>:INVersion
CHANnel<n>:LIMit:ENABle
CHANnel<n>:LIMit:LOWer
CHANnel<n>:LIMit:UPPer
CHANnel<n>:LOAD
CHANnel<n>:MODe
CHANnel<n>:MODulate:ARB:INDex
CHANnel<n>:MODulate:ARB:SOURce
CHANnel<n>:MODulate:DEPTh
CHANnel<n>:MODulate:FREQuency
CHANnel<n>:MODulate:SOURce
CHANnel<n>:MODulate:WAVe
CHANnel<n>:OUTPut
CHANnel<n>:OUTPut:SYNC
CHANnel<n>:PM:PHASe:DEV
CHANnel<n>:PULSe:FALL
CHANnel<n>:PULSe:RISe
CHANnel<n>:SWEep:FREQuency:STARt
CHANnel<n>:SWEep:FREQuency:STOP
CHANnel<n>:SWEep:TIMe
CRC
CVER
DISPlay
DISPlay:Data
IDN
KEY:<k>
KEY:<k>:LED
RP<n>:ADDR<a>
SCPI
SYNC<n>:CMD<a>
SYSTem:BEEP
SYSTem:BRIGhtness
SYSTem:CONFigure
SYSTem:CYMometer
SYSTem:CYMometer:DUTY
SYSTem:CYMometer:FREQuency
SYSTem:CYMometer:PERiod
SYSTem:ERR
SYSTem:INFo
SYSTem:LANGuage
SYSTem:LOCK
SYSTem:NUMBer:FORMat
SYSTem:PHASe:MODe
SYSTem:SLEEP:TIMe
UPDate
WARB<n>:CARRier
WARB<n>:MODulate
WFILE
WP<n>:ADDR<a>

You will find more details in the pdf attached to this post.

I also monitored the traffic between the CPU and the 24LC64 eeprom and dumped the eeprom. Interesting as my UTG932E turned now to be a UTG962E. :)

The 496 first bytes of the eeprom are used to store the current configuration. The model definition is store at the end of the eeprom (see print screen). I did not find the serial number in it.
As the model type (30 or 60Mhz) is stored in the eeprom and the eeprom is only connected to the CPU, there might be a possibility that a SCPI command could change the model. I modified it the hard way with my TL866 programmer but this would of course be more convenient via SCPI.

Enjoy!

Edit: Reduced pictures size

Thank you! Also works 100% with UTG932 not E model, programmed with cheap Ch341A
Note: with this programmer you need to select 24C64. If you select 24LC64 or 24CL64, you'll get a "success writing message" but the contents are corrupted!!! Beware!

Freemen67, can you advise me of what version of TL866 should I get? I'm planning on buying one. Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my ch341A programmer is the black edition with the 3.3v mod done. Do not connect your 24LC64 without the 3.3v mod otherwise the chip will be supplied with 5v, may or may not burn.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 03:29:12 pm by ptluis »

Offline g2

• Contributor
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2021, 12:33:22 pm »
Hello, I have a few questions, I hope to get an answer.

When you fine tune the frequency output by turning the knob on the UTG662, do the output waveform glitches ? 
Occurs there glitches at all ?
Thanks in advance.

I have attached a PDF document ProgrammingGuide_UTG900E.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2021, 02:45:22 pm »
Hello, I have a few questions, I hope to get an answer.

When you fine tune the frequency output by turning the knob on the UTG662, do the output waveform glitches ? 
Occurs there glitches at all ?
Thanks in advance.

I have attached a PDF document ProgrammingGuide_UTG900E.

Not on mine, always smooth transition, but mine is a UTG932 converted to UTG962, I think this doesn't matter because they are the same hardware.

The following users thanked this post: g2

Offline g2

• Contributor
« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2021, 05:43:29 pm »
To ptluis
Thanks for reply.
How did you get the UTG932 converted to UTG962 ? Is it easy.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2021, 10:12:01 pm »
To ptluis
Thanks for reply.
How did you get the UTG932 converted to UTG962 ? Is it easy.

I follow the fremen67 tips here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-utg932utg962-200msas-function-arbitrary-waveform-generator-220394/msg3561559/#msg3561559

If you use an CH341A programmer read the end of my post here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-utg932utg962-200msas-function-arbitrary-waveform-generator-220394/msg3753497/#msg3753497

For me it was easy, you loose your warranty if you do this (void the warranty seal)

The following users thanked this post: g2

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2021, 08:36:27 pm »
Also Amazon had a 10Ah USB battery pack on sale, so I decided to have a go at making my UTG portable.
Works great - I'll have to do some noise measurements to see if the cheap regulator inside the battery pack is making any noise.
Can you provide a link for that battery pack? Looks really cool solution!
Also, where did you get the USB to barrel cable from?
Battery pack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXV6N1B/
Right-angle cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075112RM6/
Anker typically makes good stuff so I'm fairly confident it's a quality pack. The cable I just found by searching "right angle usb to 5.5 2.1"
Almost any regular USB power bank will do. Nice compact cable is more difficult to find - there some options on eBay and AliExpress:
USB to Barrel Cable USB to 5.5mm/2.1mm Angled 5V DC Power Cable (Right Angled)
Angled USB DC Plug Barrel Power Jack Cable 5.5/2.1mm 5.5x2.1mm Right Left USB 2.0 5V Adapter Converter Charging Cable 1ft/30cm

Offline Rich S

« Reply #289 on: November 19, 2021, 10:18:02 pm »
I also just bought UTG962.
Did a quick check only at this time -- so far, I'm very satisfied.  :)

For the record, As far as I can see, it seems all the settings are retained (are saved) if the device is powered off, and on.  :-+
(removing the power cord did not change this).

SW version: 1.09
HW version: 1.01
FPGA version: 1.07
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 10:09:26 pm by Rich S »

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2021, 12:04:05 am »
Found a bug!

My version is:   SW 1.09, HW 1.01, FPGA 1.07
Problem is the "start frequency" for the sweep mode.
In both modes ("line" and "log") the entered value for "start frequency" is always ignored. HW starts at 0Hz!

Did you still have this bug? I tried on my unit UTG932 modified to 60MHz and didn't notice any issue.
My version is:   SW 1.08, HW 1.01, FPGA 1.07

Offline Rooster Cogburn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: November 20, 2021, 12:19:37 pm »
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but can this generator be damaged by driving a low impedance load or by shorting its output? The manual talks about overvoltage protection, but not overcurrent. If it has a current limiter to protect it, what is the limit? Like, can it be used to blink an LED :)

Also, are there any firmware updates for this device yet? Can't seem to find anything on UNI-T's site, so I assume the answer is no.

Thanks!

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: November 20, 2021, 12:32:07 pm »
All "mainstream" AWGs have a voltage output (nowadays often a current-feedback opamp) followed by a 50 ohms series resitor, providing both current limitation and the conventional 50 ohms output impedance. If the AWG provides a high-Z output voltage range of +-10V (20Vpp), the maximum short-circuit durrent to ground will be limited to 200mA. If the AWG will survive a short to an external power rail is another question, if the over voltage protection is fast enough, it should actually keep the instrument from being damaged, but as always, YMMV  ;)

Offline Rooster Cogburn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #293 on: November 20, 2021, 04:18:14 pm »
That's very helpful, thanks!

Offline Rich S

« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2021, 10:31:08 pm »
re damage from shorted output
It was common practice to put a "L" or "T" pad on the inputs & outputs of expensive equipment.
Of course, then your readings have to be adjusted to take into account the attenuation.
But if you use, say, a 10dB pad, the math is easy.

Offline absolute

« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2021, 10:48:59 am »
I finally had enough of the terrible BNC connectors in this thing and replaced them. I used 3 times BKL Electronic part nr.:0401111. These aren't as low profile as the ones the unit comes shipped with, but they do fit under the shield and only the case needs a little filing on the flat part of the openings where the connectors protrude.

Before, if I only slightly wiggled an attached cable the signal would glitch and rocking the cable side to side would give different noise levels. The connection is stable now, with less noise as well. Big improvement :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: December 04, 2021, 11:27:43 am »
I am not impressed. The generator is utterly useless.
My 2 FY6900's are light years cleaner that this piece of junk.
The trash that this thing produces is off the scale. :-BROKE
I use the FY6900 to align vintage radios and it is fairly clean.
This thing when just the ground is attached to chassis ground causes the DUT radio to receive trash. Hooking the thing up to the antenna or other points obliterated the fundamental generated frequency. Now...how do I get a refund?

Check your power supply.

Offline Dandymon

« Reply #297 on: January 14, 2022, 04:28:24 pm »

The firmware is not protected... I could not resist ... >:D
"I also monitored the traffic between the CPU and the 24LC64 eeprom and dumped the eeprom. Interesting as my UTG932E turned now to be a UTG962E. :)"
The 496 first bytes of the eeprom are used to store the current configuration. The model definition is store at the end of the eeprom (see print screen). I did not find the serial number in it.

So, I actually buggered up the first few bytes in my EEPROM but fortunately like fremen67  said, they are settings for the device - I put the module into Chinese amongst other things :D. I did however, manage to avoid buying an EEPROM programmer since this 24LC64 is read/written using i2c.

I got my trusty arduino uno out and started playing!
First, I soldered two wires onto the IC on pins 5&6 (SDA and SCL respectively) and then used wire jumpers onto the uno (5V not 3.3v). The UTG has pullup resistors already in it. Then I proceeded to corrupt my settings!
I didn't think, I coded like I always have done before using the standard Wire library, and only addressing ONE byte. I realised my mistake and made a working program to access the full EEPROM. A0 was tied high on the PCB, so the address is 0x51.
Then I bit the bullet and wrote the EEPROM...... and then I smiled!

Thanks to fremen67  for doing the initial discovery. I too could see the processor clear as day when I rotated it in the light (no acetone needed), but the ICs under the signal generator PCB in the back of the unit (under the shielding), were well and truly lasered off. I can't comment what's in here other than a few relays and opamps.

Code: [Select]
#include <Wire.h>

#define ADDR_Ax 0b001 //A2, A1, A0
#define ADDR (0b1010 << 3) + ADDR_Ax

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Wire.begin();
}
#define line_length 16
#define rows 32
void loop() {
      //Serial.print((char)readEEPROM(0x1F0B));
      //writeEEPROM(0x1F0B, 0x36);  //make 60MHz
      //writeEEPROM(0x1F0B, 0x33);  //make 30MHz
      //Serial.print((char)readEEPROM(0x1F0B));
      dump(0x1EA0);
  while(1);
}
void dump(int base_addr){
    for (long i=0;i<(rows*line_length);i+=line_length){
    Serial.print(i+base_addr, HEX);
    Serial.print(":\t");
    for (long j=0;j<line_length;j++){
      Serial.print(readEEPROM(j+base_addr+i),HEX);
      Serial.print(" ");
      }
    Serial.print("\t");
    for (long j=0;j<line_length;j++){
      Serial.print((char)readEEPROM(j+base_addr+i));
      Serial.print(" ");
      }
    Serial.println();
  }
}
void writeEEPROM( int eeaddress, uint8_t data )
{
  Wire.beginTransmission(ADDR);
  Wire.write((eeaddress >> 8));   // MSB
  Wire.write((eeaddress & 0xFF)); // LSB
  Wire.write(data);
  Wire.endTransmission();

delay(5);
}

byte readEEPROM( unsigned int eeaddress )
{
  byte rdata = 0xFF;

Wire.beginTransmission(ADDR);
  Wire.write((eeaddress >> 8));   // MSB
  Wire.write((eeaddress & 0xFF)); // LSB
  Wire.endTransmission();

Wire.requestFrom(ADDR, 1);

if (Wire.available())
  {
    rdata = Wire.read();
  }

return rdata;
}

Dan
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 04:38:36 pm by Dandymon »

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, Fungus, bffargo, JOSM

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #298 on: January 17, 2022, 08:51:06 pm »
EEPROM mod was discovered and showed to work thanks to forum members. Next step is to find SCPI commands which would do that as well.

UTG900E program manual has a comment
Notes:The returned model number should be consistent with the nameplate information.
This hints at possible SCPI command to change UTG932/UTG962 setting. Checks on documented and semi-documented commands so far were not successful.

Offline Dandymon

« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2022, 09:51:17 pm »
I think I might have broke my utg932 by poking around a bit too much in the eeprom

Would you mind attaching your bin file for me to re flash mine please?
I can’t seem to activate the FM modulator  :(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 10:05:37 pm by Dandymon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf