Author Topic: Textronix TDS724A firmware update  (Read 171 times)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Textronix TDS724A firmware update
« on: September 23, 2021, 06:35:40 pm »
Hello everybody,
it seems that after almost 10yrs in my possession I've finally got a ceramic section for the AUX2 channel that was broken on TDS724A and prevented SPC to ever complete  |O.
The Chinese  >:Dbayer that had one for sale all this time, didn't sold it but it only slightly increased the price, this is real commitment  :-DD.
Anyways, I've got a "for parts" TDS520A and I hope the seller didn't totaled ALL the attenuators and left one for me.

All the other parts, buttons and stuff will be up for grabbing later if someone is interested !!!

But now that I will reopen it and re-calibrate I wish to also do the sample memory and bandwidth upscale and I was wondering if someone has a firmware newer than the 4.1 that I have and is willing to share.

If so, please let me know.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline HighPrecision

• Supporter
Re: Textronix TDS724A firmware update
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 03:18:54 pm »
Hi again,

today I've successful upgraded the firmware of my very old TDS744A, with old flash chips (28F020), I was in the same boat as you wondering if the CPU board is compatible with new firmware...  a big jump from v1.0.1e to v4.2.1e. Also the SPC calibration procedure passed OK.

Now I have two cosmetic parts that I want to replace, if available from your parts unit, the rear plastic panel, my panel is broken in one corner at top side. The second part are the rubber buttons on right side of display (soft-keys), on my unit one button is missing on the external part.

For your doubt on firmware I think you can try to install the 4.2.1e, 'tektool' software can backup the original firmware, also the NVRAM content, in case of incompatibility it's possible to reflash from backup and fully restore the unit. There are internal jumpers to define the instrument model.

Best,  Stephano

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Re: Textronix TDS724A firmware update
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:22:21 pm »
Hi again,

today I've successful upgraded the firmware of my very old TDS744A, with old flash chips (28F020), I was in the same boat as you wondering if the CPU board is compatible with new firmware...  a big jump from v1.0.1e to v4.2.1e. Also the SPC calibration procedure passed OK.

Now I have two cosmetic parts that I want to replace, if available from your parts unit, the rear plastic panel, my panel is broken in one corner at top side. The second part are the rubber buttons on right side of display (soft-keys), on my unit one button is missing on the external part.

For your doubt on firmware I think you can try to install the 4.2.1e, 'tektool' software can backup the original firmware, also the NVRAM content, in case of incompatibility it's possible to reflash from backup and fully restore the unit. There are internal jumpers to define the instrument model.

Best,  Stephano

Thanks for the answer, after fiddling with my units I've decided to sell them both for what I thing is an acceptable price (not really just parts, but also not in that condition ;) ), see the TEA thread.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf