Author Topic: Unlocking/Hacking The Rigol DS2000A Series Scope - THE SHORT POST  (Read 118030 times)

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi Guys, I've been asked to Post a SOLUTION to...

HACKING THE RIGOL DS2000A SERIES OSCILLOSCOPE and to explain to everyone HOW TO GET

70MHz Unlocked/Upgraded to 300 MHz Bandwidth  and
All the Trial Options Unlocked/Upgraded to fully Licensed Options

I had purchased a DS2072A a few months ago with 70MHz and Trial options
My Scope Currently Has 300MHz Bandwidth Unlocked, and all the Trials including 56 Mpts  Memory Depth

So.. Here we go,  I'm going to try to be as short as possible,  However i want to do the respect of Giving Credit to those who made this Possible and to briefly give background
as to what's going on,  so that you don't have to read and sift through, The Currently 229 page Monster Post, Known as

[Sniffing the Rigols Internal I2C Bus]
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol_s-internal-i2c-bus/

if your a tech junkie, like me and you want to know how it all came about and you want to know every step that was taken in the troubleshooting,     be my guest,
I've read it 3 Times, and i still like it

but.. for some, information is hard to find and it's all over the place.  so...

My intention for this post is to Provide a Smaller , Easier to read Post,  So.. Here goes.

THIS POST IS ONLY INTENDED FOR YOU IF YOU OWN OR ARE BUYING A DS200A SERIES RIGOL OSCILLOSCOPE
it is not For DS2000 Series (Although some of the instructions can be used)
it is not for the DS1000 Series

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THIS POST YOU CAN JUST EMAIL ME AND WE'LL DO A SKYPE SESSION AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO DO IT... OK

Now.. The Whole thing Started like this...

- Rigol Made a bunch of scopes and with all their scopes they decided that instead of Making 1 Scope, eg. DS2072A 70 Mhz  then Making another scope that was capable of 100 MHz
   then making another that was capable or 200MHz then another for 300MHz,
   They took the easy road and Created the DS2000A Series to be capable of 300MHz, HOWEVER, THE FIRMWARE WAS THE LIMITATION.
   This Firmware Meant that the scope could be locked to a Certain Bandwidth and hence they would charge you for differing bandwidths.
   so.. if you wanted 70MHz you paid about $1000  and if you later want to upgrade to 300 MHz you would pay around $3000

All that is required to be done by the techie at Rigol or Emona Instruments is that he pops in a USB stick and Unlocks the Firmware Option to 300 MHz  (it's piss easy and Takes about 5 Mins to
   do, Very tidy profit margin in that 5 Mins , wouldn't you agree  LOL)

So are we clear on this, All the DS2000A Scopes are capable of 300MHz Bandwidth,   Not 200MHz   it's 300MHz Definitely.  So don't keep asking ok,   YES.. IT'S 300MHZ

- Now andyturk became a curious little chappy, butchered his scope FOR ALL OUR BENEFITS (so, let's all show the respect that is deserved), and discovered that the Rigol I2C Bus
  Had Decodable information..

- With the help of CYBERNET (Most Notably) and Many others, and about 299 Pages of Posting later and Dave Freaking out over how huge this Post became, and let's give a thanks to dave
   for the Side by Side Comparion of the DS1000 and the DS2000 Blog.
   so.. after all that  WE HAVE A SOLUTION     [and i have to admit, if you followed it, it was a really cool journey of discovery]  Trust me,  Read the entire post sometime from start to finish.

anywhoo...

it all started with the DS1000 Series, then it went to the DS2000Series then to the DS2000A Series,  each series has it's own Max Bandwidth,  i think with the DS1000 it was 200MHz

Anyway, this post is Dedicated to the DS2000A    incidentally , it's not the DS2000A-S  i haven't tested this on that platform.

So.. thats the History lesson and how it all came about,   OH
   on other thing we need to show respect to, madcrow  Even though he doesn't feel he is worthy of it,.. in my eyes , He is.

After the solution came about, it was still complicated, madcrow was responsible for simplifying everything into one solution he called the  DS2000A Upgrade Utility.

because.... before it
a) You had to Request the Drivers from Rigol, it's not like Just downloading a Graphics card driver
b) Then there was the NiVisa software,  Man that was a Headache,  the NiVisa Site does not have a stable server, i tried 7 Times with a 115Mbps connection before i finally got a proper uncorrupted download
c) there were dependancies that had to be installed
d)There was a Public key and you had to know how to Modify the Firmware in order to make it compatible to your meter

BOTTOM LINE,  if you care to know how it all progressed... be My Guest
Read the Post  229 Pages, and still out of control

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/3420/

SO.. then    MADCROW takes all this information and using his Software Programming skills  [Thanks mate for making life that much easier, appreciate it]
Madcrow creates his

DS200A - UPGRADE UTILITY

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/

Thanks to him  YOU DON'T NEED TO DO A SINGLE THING,

SO NOW.. MOVING FORWARD TO THE SOLUTION

There are 2 Ways you can attack this

1. The Easiest Way... Contact me on martin@btotechnicalexperts.com.au  and i will arrange a skype session time with you and we'll get it done.

2. Start here and follow the steps (Nothing to be scared off, no viruses, and the steps are really easy, YOU JUST NEED TO READ IT)
     https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/

at the bottom of the first post by MADCROW  there are THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS

Standard edition (with installer) ------------------------------------------ NOT THIS ONE
Portable edition
VirusTotal analysis of the Portable edition

Mirrored on http://gotroot.ca, courtesy of VE7XEN:
Standard edition (with installer) ---------------------------------------------------YOU SELECT THIS ONE
Portable edition

Quick note on this
YOU MAY get a message from your Antivirus Program saying that there is a Suspicious Pythia or Trojan or some bullshit (and it's just that,  ... bullshit)
 it's a false positive, Ignore it and deactivate your Antivirus for the process

However that only happens if you download the top one,  You shouldn't have the issue with the bottom one.

GUIDELINES TO FOLLOW TO AVOID TROUBLE

1. YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING - a) a Windows Environment of Windows Vista or better,   (i don't think Windows 8 is supported, i could be wrong), i did it with Windows 7, worked fine.
                                                                 a Linux Solution does exist, However its not automated,  this Utility Runs of a .exe file, therefore it won't run under Linux

b) if you skyping me, You will obviously need Skype and a Webcam with Microphone

c) You will need to start with your Scope at a Min Software Version of 1.0
                                                                   Most Scopes will now come out with 2.0, so your ok,  the Current Firmware Version is 3.0 FYI

d) to ascertain your Hardware Version follow the following steps on your Scope
                                                                   d1) Find the Orange "HELP" Button at the top left of your DS2000A Scope

d2) now that you've done look to the LEFT of that button, You will see 6 Buttons as follows..
                                                                         MEASURE / AQUIRE / STORAGE /CURSOR /DISPLAY /UTILITY             these are your top level buttons, everything starts from here.

d3) Press the "UTILITY" button and you will find that a Menu will pop out

d4) Press the GREY UNMARKED BUTTON  to the Right of the word "SYSTEM"                You see how this works....... good

d5) Press the GREY UNMARKED BUTTON to the Right of the Word "SYSTEM INFO"

You will get something that looks like this

SYSTEM INFORMATION
                                                       -------------------------------------------------------
                                                             Manufacturer:               Rigol Technologies
                                                             Model:                           DS2072A
                                                             Serial:                            DS2D160000000            (THIS IS YOUR SERIAL NUMBER, DON'T POST IT ONLINE, It won't have zeros, it will have numbers .. OK)
                                                             Software Version:          00.02.01                    (This is what you want, this is Version 2.01)
                                                             Hardware Version:         2.0

Now.. FYI    before the upgrade  your System Info will Look Like this

SYSTEM INFORMATION
                                                             Model:                           DS2072A
                                                             Serial:                            DS2D160000000
                                                             Software Version:          00.02.01

AFTER IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS

SYSTEM INFORMATION
                                                             Model:                           DS2302A            -----------------Notice the Model Number Change
                                                             Serial:                            DS2D160000000
                                                             Software Version:          00.02.01           ------------------ Maybe the version will also Change

Now, if you use the same Navigation Method as above

Go to the following Directory level

UTILITY / OPTIONS / INSTALLED
My Scope Looked Like this BEFORE THE HACK  (i took photos, therefore the information is accurate)

option Type                              Option Name            Option Edition           Time Left

ADVANCED TRIGGER                Windows                   Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Nth Edge                   Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                HDTV                         Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Delay                         Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Timeout                     Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                Dur                            Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                                USB                            Trial Version                 861 Minute

DECODE                                  RS232                           Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                               SPI                                Trial Version                 861 Minute
                                               I2C                                Trial Version                 861 Minute

PROTOCOL ANALYSIS             CAN                                Trial Version                 861 Minute
MEM_DEPTH                           56M/28M                        Trial Version                 861 Minute

[Where's the bandwidth option , You may ask..... Be Patient My Young Jedi]

so.. these are all the Trials that we also will Unlock, and further to it, we will unlock 300MHz Bandwidth and IT WILLSHOW UP UNDER    MEM_DEPTH

Check back here after the upgrade

e) Here are some things that will give you headaches
  1) THE UPGRADE UTILITY WILL TAKE ABOUT 20 MINS TO INSTALL,   so.. Don't sit there and be like   ... is it frozen,   Chances are , it's not,  Just be patient, Make a cup of coffee and sit back and be
     thankful to Madcrow for the priviledge of NOT HAVING TO DO ANYTHING DIFFICULT and the fact that he just saved You $2000   
      [Once again, madcrow,  Massive Respect to you and Cybernet, thanks Dude and everyone else who participated who are too numerous to name, everyone put in a piece to the puzzle]

2) Once all that is installed    RESTART YOUR COMPUTER  (No, it's not all bullshit,   ACTUALLY RESTART YOUR COMPUTER NOW....it is important

3) When following Madcrow's instructions on the utility, and when you plug in your Scope to the USB port on your computer, YOU MAY GET AN ISSUE OF NON DETECTING OF THE USB DEVICE
        Troubleshoot as follows :
       3a) ENSURE THAT THE SCOPE IS PLUGGED INTO YOUR COMPUTER AND HAS A USB CABLE FROM COMPUTER TO SCOPE (Front USB Port)
       3b) Go to DEVICE MANAGER, and Confirm that the Driver has been installed for the scope
              if you don't know how..  do this
          START BUTTON /
         right Click on COMPUTER
         Select MANAGE
         Select DEVICE MANAGER

THE DRIVER WILL SHOW UP AS   "USB VIRTUALISATION DEVICE"  (if there is NO Yellow Question Mark, Your Good to go)
       3c) if it still doesn't detect,  THAT MEANS THE FOLLOWING

Your Scope has 2 USB Ports,  1 USB (A Type) in the Front and a USB (B Type) in the Rear
the front one is Defined as the PictBridge Port,
the Rear is defined as the Computer Port

You can only use one at a time, so.. if you have the rear one selected and your plugged into the front one.. it logically, won't work.. Right
ON YOUR SCOPE
go to this menu

UTILITY / IO SETTING / USB DEVICE

When you have your USB A Cable end plugged into the front of the scope,
this Value has to be set to PictBridge

DO THAT AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THE SCOPE WILL DETECT IN THE UPGRADE UTILITY SOFTWARE.

f)  YOU WILL NEED A USB STICK FORMATTED TO FAT32, it has to be completely blank, Basically any size will do , the file is really small

g) NOW.. HERE'S THE TRICKY PART
   YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO PUT THE SCOPE INTO FIRMWARE UPDATE MODE

The Utility Explains it very clearly,  But let me make it even clearer
   The instructions are
    g 1) Turn OFF the Scope
    g2) PRACTICE THIS BEFORE YOU TURN ON THE SCOPE
    g3)Don't worry if you stuff up, , worst case scenario, you go back to step g1 and start over
   g4) Put Your LEFT THUMB on the POWER BUTTON
   g5) Put Your RIGHT THUMB on the "HELP" button

GOT THAT

Now, this is what you do
   from the moment that you press the Power button, You have HALF A SECOND to press the HELP BUTTON FIRMLY DOWN

so.. it's
    Press the Power Button and let go
    Press the Help Button Firmly and let go

IF YOU DID IT CORRECTLY,     the   "SINGLE"  Button will be SOLID ORANGE
if you didn't,  the scope will just boot up as per normal

if it does start up normally,   TUN OFF THE SCOPE AND REPEAT THE PROCESS .........DO IT FASTER

Once you got that down pat

Run Your Upgrade Utility software
with the scope connected
Have the USB Stick IN THE COMPUTER TO BEGIN WITH

Follow the Instructions

the Software will create the .GEL file for the firmware that you need

The software will Detect your USB stick and do this
the Software will detect your Scope as well

After the .GEL file is created you need to put the USB stick into your Scope
and put the scope into upgrade mode

ONCE YOU PUT IN THE USB STICK

if the scope detects the .GEL file and reads it correctly

YOU WILL SEE THE    "CH1"  Button Flash   GREEN   (This is normal, it means that communication is taking place and it's upgrading your meter)
be patient   it takes about 2-3 minutes  (This is the part where you will be saying "How do i know when it's done")

YOU WILL KNOW BECAUSE ....  All of the lights on the Scope will come ON
at that point, Keep Your Scope Connected to the Computer and Restart Your Scope

then the software will bring you to a page that will ask you to select OPTIONS

Obviously this is a No Brainer

Select the option that says something like

300MHz + All Options  (something to that effect)

after all that is done and you hit the finish button
Restart your scope and check the system info to see the following

Trial options should change to   OFFICIAL VERSION
The Model Number will Change
Possibly the Software Version will change
You will See a BANDWIDTH      300M BandWidth    official Version option

and that's that

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW, I'M HERE TO HELP

Sorry for the long Post, But at least it's not 229 Pages Until you get to a solution and Get Totally confused by the end of it

Be Cool Guys and Enjoy Your Scopes

And Remember

That the following people Saved you approx $2000 Perhaps more, if you consider all the options unlocked

so.. Let's Give Credit and Thanks to the following (if i missed someone i apologise)

Top of the List has to go to

CYBERNET (bloody good work mate)

Then
Zombie28
Madcrow  (for putting it all into 1 Easy container as you like to put it  :)  )
andyturk  (for Sacrificing his Scope   LOL)
Ve7xen
Studio25
marmad

and all the rest who contributed.

THAT'S IT... THAT'S THE SUMMARY OF THE LONG POST

BE COOL GUYS

« Last Edit: Today at 09:04:31 am by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: Jacek_Paw, ssaenek

Offline bnred777

Re: Unlocking/Hacking The Rigol DS2000A Series Scope - THE SHORT POST
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:17:28 am »
Hey guys, I just bought the DS2072A-S and I wondering if anyone ever got the 300Mhz hack working with full options? If so, does the DS2000A Upgrade Utility work for getting the options/bandwidth? I see in the post above that it hasn't been tested ny BTO but I'd like to know if someone out there has done it and how.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:16:14 pm »
Hello and thanks for the guide.
I have followed it, but still can't get it to work on my new scope.
For some reason, the boot loader does not accept any .GEL versions other than the latest.

This version (DS2000-03_00_01_03) gets loaded fine and the boot loader does what it's supposed to do (loading the file for a minute or so), but the other files just don't work.
I have the scope with SINGLE light on, waiting for the USB stick, I insert it, but after a second or so all the lights are turned on, the same it does when the boot loader has completed loading the file, except that the actual loading is skipped.

The MCU version shows 00.06, which is the newest and I suspect it has something to do with this behavior.
I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Offline bnred777

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:41:53 am »
Hey Adi101, I received a reply from AintBigAintClever on this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2072a-s-hackable-or-not/

You should check it out and see if this fixes your problem. I haven't received my scope yet but I'd love to know if this works for you so that I know what I'll be up against. Keep me updated! :)

Thanks,
Brandon

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:36:31 pm »
My problem was that the latest version of the firmware doesn't accept older firmware with the bootloader.
The solution is to get a memory dump with a JTAG adapter, use rigup 0.4 to get keys, then simply input the wanted key.

And so I have the latest firmware and all options + 300MHz bandwidth.
The info is here, you just have to be bold and use it.

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:42 am »
That's Strange i didn't have that issue and i am able to downgrade to versions even though my scope is at the latest hackable version,, i did even try to load the latest version of firmware, IT DIDN'T WORK for the hack, and i was successfully able to install the previous version, Dave, i think is still on version 1.1 so i'm not sure why it's not working for you,
if you like we can skype and see if we can work it out together, Maybe you have a corrupted GEL file or something,

let me know what' you would like to do
Be Cool
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 04:01:19 am »
@ BNRED77
apparently it is possible to hack the DS2000A-S

Read this post from AintBigAintClever

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2072a-s-hackable-or-not/

QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:51:04 am »
@BNRED777
Even though it is a fact that i have not tested this Working solution with a DS2000A-S, but i have with a DS2000A

the idea behind, how the whole solution is possible is because Rigol Manufactured the Models to be identical within an entire series, but.. Limited
by Firmware

on that basis, there is not a big difference between the 2000A and the 2000A-S
so i would take a strong bet to say that My solution would work for you

i would be willing to to say that i'm more confident that this solution would work on your DS2000A-S  as opposed to working on a DS2000
which , i think, has a different procedure,  I'm not 100% Sure on that

i would try it if i was in your shoes,
Worst case Scenario, Just Reflash the unit back to the Lower Firmware, No Biggie
I've done it several Times
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:46 am »
Hi All.
 I've copied this question from another thread. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here!
Now that I have "hacked" the scope (Now reports as a DS2302A)  is it still possible to do a firmware upgrade
to the latest version to fix the i2c decoding issue? It now shows firmware version 00.02.01
There is a much newer version available.
Or will the "revert" the scope back to a DS2072A with limited options?
Cheers
Neddie

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:10 am »
I cannot do any update. My is an MSO2102A with fw 00.03.00 sp1; as i connect USB key, less than half second after, this is result; all lights less "single" lit and after reboot no change

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:35:16 am by conte_vlad »

Offline MarcelM

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:15 am »
I cannot do any update. My is an MSO2102A with fw 00.03.00 sp1; as i connect USB key, less than half second after, this is result; all lights less "single" lit and after reboot no change
Read this : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg476833/#msg476833
(As far as I am aware, with the latest (00.03.00 sp1) installed you WILL HAVE TO GO THE JTAG MEMORY DUMP route)

I think this works out very well for Rigol:
- They have effectively blocked the all-too-easy upgrade path (which I guess will hurt their bottom line)
- They retain their reputation for hackable hardware, you'll just have to do a little more work for it...

So, just bite the bullet and get a USB-JTAG dongle, open up your scope and get the memory dump.
Then run rigup 0.4 on that dump, and you'll have your upgrade keys.
The best part: since you are NOT changing the firmware in any way, you don't risk bricking your scope.
Plus, you should be okay for future official firmware updates, without losing your options.

(And since there is only one firmware version for DS2000A, DS2000A-S and MSO2000A series, this should work for all versions)

YMMV,
Regards,
Marcel
--------------------------------------------
Electronics is FUN !
If you want me to take it seriously,
... Call, and we'll talk consultancy rates ...
--------------------------------------------

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:32:09 am »
I want thanks you a lot for the indication, if I cannot solve in other way I wiil open scope and perform the memory dump but before do it, I have ordered already the jtag dongle, I would like to try in other way, and if it can help someone is a result, not sure it could be possible but just spent some time working around

So...after lot of try I found that DS2000-03_00_01_03.7z file got from http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/ is the only that "react" on loading procedure, CH1 flash for a minute or bit more. But after rebooting same firmware, old 00.03.00, is on
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:51:48 am by conte_vlad »

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:19 am »
Hi All.
 I've copied this question from another thread. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here!
Now that I have "hacked" the scope (Now reports as a DS2302A)  is it still possible to do a firmware upgrade
to the latest version to fix the i2c decoding issue? It now shows firmware version 00.02.01
There is a much newer version available.
Or will the "revert" the scope back to a DS2072A with limited options?
Cheers
Neddie

There's one way to find out, grit your teeth and try it.

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:49 am »
Got a PM from BTO. Apparently you loose the bandwidth and options after the upgrade :0(
Have to wait and HOPE that some genius creates a modified .gel file out of the latest firmware version.(03.00.01.03)
Beyond my capability I'm afraid :0(
Will stick with the hacked /upgraded version. It's still a GREAT hack!!
Thanks to all involved!!
Neddie

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:41 pm »
Guys. I can't help but think this is going to turn again into a 50 page post. Can't we have a separate post for questions (somehintg like "Rigol DS2000A hack Questions & Answers thread") and have this locked?  :-// After a couple of months importants answers are going to be deep inside this thread. Why not just have it locked but allow the original poster to add information as it becomes necessary?

The idea is:
-Keep the original 229 page thread for hacking and research comments
-Keep madcrow's thread for questions and problems with his software, downloads and such
-Keep this as a guide, keep it locked and short, but updatable, maybe a sticky, but I don't decide this sort of stuff
-Make a questions and answers thread for all compatibility questions, helping newbies, questions about the process, and that sort of stuff

But the main thing is to keep the short post short

Just my 2 cents  :-+
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:13:19 pm by ivan747 »

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 04:13:43 pm »
One a thread is locked, the OP (or any other poster) will not be able to update their posts.

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 07:45:34 pm »
Read this : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg476833/#msg476833
(As far as I am aware, with the latest (00.03.00 sp1) installed you WILL HAVE TO GO THE JTAG MEMORY DUMP route)

I think this works out very well for Rigol:
- They have effectively blocked the all-too-easy upgrade path (which I guess will hurt their bottom line)
- They retain their reputation for hackable hardware, you'll just have to do a little more work for it...

So, just bite the bullet and get a USB-JTAG dongle, open up your scope and get the memory dump.
Then run rigup 0.4 on that dump, and you'll have your upgrade keys.
The best part: since you are NOT changing the firmware in any way, you don't risk bricking your scope.
Plus, you should be okay for future official firmware updates, without losing your options.

(And since there is only one firmware version for DS2000A, DS2000A-S and MSO2000A series, this should work for all versions)

YMMV,
Regards,
Marcel
I confirm.

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:31 am »
My DS2072A came with firmware version 00.03.00.sp1 and it was hacked with the utility , no problem whatsoever.
Cheers
Neddie

Offline mackmc

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 03:04:39 pm »
Works great with firmware version 00.03.00.sp1 on a DS2000A.

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 07:17:18 am »
IVAN i appreciate your 2 Cents worth, and i agree,
this was the main reason i created this post, because it seemed no one from the big post did

i also have no control over stickies and things as such,  Maybe PM dave for an idea

i think , let's see how it goes and how big it gets, and we'll just create a smaller one when the time comes

Yes, it's doubling up, but it seems to be the only way to keep it short from our Permissions point of view
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 07:27:02 am »
Sorry guys for my lack of appearance on the POST, i"ve been really busy with work

it would seem that Rigol brought our Version 3.0 and no one is able to upgrade the meter to get the Trials converted to Licenced versions

so.. I suggest as follows:

Let's wait for someone to bring out a hack that will get past this as well
in the meantime

Roll back to version 2.01

I've put the .GEL file that i used on a cloud for everyone

Let me know if it works for all you guys

https://mega.co.nz/#F!EgRCzbjI!npObOMkOYY931Z6hJUsJ6g

if it doesn't then that must mean that the file contains my serial key
and in that case you would need to request from Rigol Directly

that they Supply with a Firmware Version 2.01 for your meter with your serial number
considering that you bought it,  i don't see why, LEGALLY SPEAKING this should be a problem

they can't force you to stay on a firmware version

you could tell them that you had issues and you would just feel better if you reverted to the previous version.

Let me know how it goes
thanks guys
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:40 am »
does not load, as I told as file is less than 8.992 kB. The only file accepted to loading, but it is not patched, it seems, is the DS2000-03_00_01_03.7z from http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:05:01 am by conte_vlad »

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 08:39:27 am »
Sorry guys for my lack of appearance on the POST, i"ve been really busy with work

it would seem that Rigol brought our Version 3.0 and no one is able to upgrade the meter to get the Trials converted to Licenced versions

so.. I suggest as follows:

Let's wait for someone to bring out a hack that will get past this as well
in the meantime

Roll back to version 2.01

I've put the .GEL file that i used on a cloud for everyone

Let me know if it works for all you guys

https://mega.co.nz/#F!EgRCzbjI!npObOMkOYY931Z6hJUsJ6g

if it doesn't then that must mean that the file contains my serial key
and in that case you would need to request from Rigol Directly

that they Supply with a Firmware Version 2.01 for your meter with your serial number
considering that you bought it,  i don't see why, LEGALLY SPEAKING this should be a problem

they can't force you to stay on a firmware version

you could tell them that you had issues and you would just feel better if you reverted to the previous version.

Let me know how it goes
thanks guys

There is something strange about this file, it seems it is patched in some way on several locations. It's for sure not the file that was posted long time ago in

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg158659/#msg158659
See the third post, it contains all correct firmware files.

This file is not recommended

Offline adi101

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 10:30:54 am »

I did it with the old way of dumping the memory and then use rigup on it.
The bootloader doesn't work with older .GEL files though.

All the best.

Offline Beeblebrox

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:57 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, the procedure works like a charm with FW ver. 00.03.00.SP1 on my DS2072A. Now I have DS2302A with all options in.

My the only question is related to the newest firmware. The Upgrade Utility downgraded the original FW 00.03.00.01.03 to version 00.02.01.00.03. Can I upgrade back to ver. 3.00 without loosing all sweets?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:29:56 pm by Beeblebrox »

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 12:20:57 pm »
hi Beeblebrox

as I cannot downgrade from 00.03.00 sp1 to 00.02..... can I ask you wich hardware version have you? mine is 2.2

Thanks

Offline Beeblebrox

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:16 pm »
Hi conte_vlad,
it says HW version: 2.0, extended System Info says HW version: 1.0.2.0.2 (see 2nd picture in my previous post).

Good luck.

...After a while.....

OK, I tried to upgrade FW and ..... SUCCESS !!! Now I have DS2072A converted to DS2302A with all options and newest firmware 3.00.SP1

FYI, here is the recap of what I've done:
  • I followed the original upgrade procedure in this thread (see my previous post). Worked great but downgraded my FW from 3.00 to 2.01.
  • Then I downloaded 3.00 FW (file DS2000-03_00_01_03.7z) from www.gotroot.ca/rigol/
  • Flashed 3.00 FW using USB stick (you know the drill - POWER, HELP, plugging in the USB stick, hypnotizing the blinking CH1 for about 3 min.)
  • Rebooted the scope (this time I didn't hold F6 button on the scope during reboot)

That's it, the new firmware accepted all previous changes made by the DS2000A Upgrade Utility  :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:13:18 pm by Beeblebrox »

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »
thanks  :)

Offline Neddie

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 06:22:40 am »
I've followed conte_vlad's method.
My scope was hacked for full bandwidth / features , but firmware version was 00.02.01. Now is 00.03.00.SP1.All features/bandwidth still enabled.
I assumed it would go to 00.03.01.03 , which is the name of the firmware file , but this is good enough as the
protocol decoding is now working properly.
Neddie

Offline conte_vlad

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 07:07:48 am »
 :-//

I suspect that downgrade is not possible on hardware 2.2 Someone with same version can confirm?

Offline donkey77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:02 pm »
I've just received my DS2072A-S. It says its got F/W 00.30.00 on it and Hardware 2.0.
I tried to use the Upgrade Utility but it doesn't seem to do anything when I insert the USB stick after turning on and pressing help. Maybe it's not just Hardware 2.2 that hampers things.

EDIT - I should have tried a different memory stick, although the first one I used worked with saving screen shots I have managed to load the Custom F/W with a different stick, however as mentioned earlier the Upgrade utility doesn't see the Scope via USB to download the keys.

It first said there was a problem installing drivers but now seems to recognise in Device Manager a USB Test Measurement Device (IVI Foundation inc.) and can see the Scope as an unspecified device in devices and printers (and called DS2072). It also connects to Marmads utility ok and USB mode is set to Computer NOT Picbridge.

EDIT AGAIN!! - After not getting the utility to work I used the instructions at http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/ (D2072 Unlocking Guide) with the Hex editor etc and it all worked fine.

Many thanks to Teneyes for the shove in the right direction!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:58:56 pm by donkey77 »

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 09:20:33 pm »
I am also very interested, if downgrade to a special "serial dumping firmware" is possible starting from SW  00.03.00.SP1  and  HW  2.2  ?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 11:28:06 pm »
I have an MSO2072A on the way, unless someone tells me otherwise, I plan to use the JTAG memdump + Rigup route.  It would be cool if the USB connection system was modified to work with the MSO2072A too but hey, I'm a happy chappie.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:48 am »
Hi,
i received my DS2072A with FW 00.03.00SP1 (00.03.00.01.03) and Hardware 2.0. (1.0.2.02)
I testet few USB-Sticks with 128MB, 256MB and 4GB, but i can'r flash the mod-FW.
I turn the DSO on, 0,5sec later press the HELB Button an then is only the SINGLE Light on (orange).
When i put the stick in the frond USB, the USB-Stick light short on and all light on the DSO are on, but the Ch1 LED ca 0,5sec single on, then all light on, thats all.

What can i do without the JTAG methode? Some guys here tell, thats run with the DS2000A Upgrade Utility Tool
and the Firmware flash with my FW Version. It's the USB Flash only the problem?
many thanks

Edit: When i copy the Version DS2000-03_00_01_03.7z on the 128MB Stick, the CH1 lamp blink for 3min, but it's the same version from factory. I'm confused
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:22:58 pm by Dorfteich »

Offline Slappy_g

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 01:57:55 pm »
Hi,
i received my DS2072A with FW 00.03.00SP1 and Hardware 2.0.
I testet few USB-Sticks with 128MB, 256MB and 4GB, but i can'r flash the mod-FW.
I turn the DSO on, 0,5sec later press the HELB Button an then is only the SINGLE Light on (orange).
When i put the stick in the frond USB, the USB-Stick light short on and all light on the DSO are on, but the Ch1 LED ca 0,5sec single on, then all light on, thats all.

What can i do without the JTAG methode? Some guys here tell, thats run with the DS2000A Upgrade Utility Tool
and the Firmware flash with my FW Version. It's the USB Flash only the problem?
many thanks

If the basic method does not work for you, there's not a lot of other choices. People are working on it, but they seem to have slowed down a bit since the JTAG method is known to work perfectly.

Just bite the bullet and go for the JTAG route. Trust me, it's not that scary. Just follow my MSO2000 series hacking thread for detailed instructions.
Unlocked the Rigol MSO2072A to a MSO2302A via JTAG.  Read about how here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 04:22:03 pm »
thanks for reply, but the JTAG method is to big for me.
Bud i read here, that some guys , like https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg499722/#msg499722 have exat the same FW Version and it's run.  |O
I call with a user in my same country, my DSO is only 2 weeks later buy, same type and dealer.
I can flash same same version, not older, it works like in the HowTo in the Tool Program.
So, i think, i wait few days for more answer's.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:22:51 pm by Dorfteich »

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »
Hi Guys
i apologise for my lack of presense on my own topic

i have been very busy with work

Reading through all your posts

@ Neddie - I'm glad you got it worked out

AS FOR THE REST OF YOU GUYS

obviously , it seems that rigol has decided to try and put up counter measures in the new firmware version 3.0.1

I've heard a few stories here

Story 1 - Some people are having success with the upgrade using the utility - This has been verified
             we are still not sure why everyone is not able to do it

Story 2 - as dumb as this sounds ..... Apparently Certain USB stick brands won't be detected during upgrade.
              so.. let's start mentioning what brand of USB stick we are using and see if a pattern emerges
              keep in mind we only want to hear from those of you who have a meter that started on Version 3.0 and Upgraded  successfully using the Utility

Story 3. THIS IS VERIFIED
              The JTAG Method
            Bite the bullet and just do it

here's the link to a step by step procedure

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol%27s-internal-i2c-bus/msg365951/?topicseen#msg365951

Story 4.  this is verified    YOU CANNOT ROLL BACK TO A VERSION PRIOR TO Version 3, if you are on Version 3

I'm still happy to help anyone who is having trouble and has Firmware below version 3.0

Thanks for all your participation guys
I'm watching in the background , don't worry

i don't always have time to reply though
if you email me, i will answer quicker

BE cool Guys
and keep the posts coming

thankfully this has not turned into a 200 Page monster............. not yet anyway
so, let's just roll with it
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 04:59:59 pm »
Story 1 - Some people are having success with the upgrade using the utility - This has been verified
             we are still not sure why everyone is not able to do it

According to some post here I came to a conclusion  that DS 2072 A model (without a logic analyzer) has SW 3.0.SP1 and HW 2.0 - this is hackable via software utility. MSO 2072 A model (having logic analyzer) runs on HW 2.2 and is hackable only via JTAG.

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 06:26:55 pm »

According to some post here I came to a conclusion  that DS 2072 A model (without a logic analyzer) has SW 3.0.SP1 and HW 2.0 - this is hackable via software utility. MSO 2072 A model (having logic analyzer) runs on HW 2.2 and is hackable only via JTAG.

so, i must also testing more USB-flash Sticks, i tested 7 pcs without success (256MB to 4GB, FAT32), to be continued :)

Edit:
When i put the stick in normal DSO Modus with the same Firmware, will i see this
in the picture.
(see pic in this post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/msg501658/#msg501658 )
It's the FW older, i see not this text in the scope.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:52:21 pm by Dorfteich »

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 02:05:20 pm »
Story 4.  this is verified    YOU CANNOT ROLL BACK TO A VERSION PRIOR TO Version 3, if you are on Version 3

It's true, today i received a 100% testet USB-Stick with other DS2072A and flashing was ok with older hack-Firmware AND
00.03.00.01.03 firmware from factory default.
But my new DSO can't flashing the dump hack version (.02) from .03 versions number, it's fact.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:07:14 pm by Dorfteich »

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:37 pm »
But my new DSO can't flashing the dump hack version (.02) from .03 versions number, it's fact.

It is time to order some JTAG device  :)

Offline Dorfteich

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »

It is time to order some JTAG device  :)

After the warranty  :-BROKE

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 05:00:05 pm »
After the warranty 

It is very easy to remove warranty sticker and it is not possible to detect, if you hacked the scope via JTAG way. You do not re-flash a firmware, you simply enter activation codes, which can be deactivated before sending the scope to repair.

Offline Slappy_g

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:37 pm »
I put this in the monster thread, but wanted to cross post here. These are the Windows instructions that have worked for many...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:59:44 am by Slappy_g »
Unlocked the Rigol MSO2072A to a MSO2302A via JTAG.  Read about how here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Offline JSE009

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 11:40:58 am »
Hello All,

I received my DS2072A last week and hacked it today  8)
Now it is a scope with all options and with a bandwidth of 300MHz.

Unlocking was a very easy job:

Step-1: Installed software "Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB"   :-+

Step-2: Make a memory dump with SCPI Command, :SYST:UTIL:READ? 1,33554432

Step-3: Use software Rigup to extract the correct license keys options

Step-4: With software UltraSigma and use SCPI command, SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall

After that looked at my scope and it think it is a DS2302A version  :-DD :-DD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »
No need for Ultra Sigma, just use the same program as on Step 1.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ChronoGuy

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2015, 12:13:58 pm »
Hello,

I just saw these posts on hacking the Rigol DS2072A to run at 300Mhz. I was looking at purchasing one of these but thought the pricing was a bit too much for my budget (the 200Mhz or 300Mhz versions) and was investigating other options when I stumbled on the hack threads.

For the most current firmware (00.03.03.00.00 SP1?) and hardware versions (2.2?), would we be using the Bildschirmkopie sw to get the firmware dump via LAN connection and then using the rigup 0.4 tool to find the lock codes (just as the prior 2 posts indicate)?

I just wanted to check to see if that was the most up to date method for hacking the DS2072A.

Thanks!

Offline Björn

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »
Hello All,

Same here,

Came with v3.01 and bootloader v2.0

Got the memory dump with Bildschirmkopie, runned rigup, entered the code via keys on scope itself.. and voila fully unlocked :)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 08:01:23 pm »
Haven't hacked my DS2072A yet, got it a few weeks ago, but the problem I have with it is that it keeps locking up occasionally. I read a few people having this issue, so I am wondering if it's down to the firmware I am running, or if I should send this unit back.

Sometimes it will lock up every 5 minutes or so, and sometimes it will work without issues for 20+ minutes.

My Sw version is: 00.03.00 SP1
Hw version: 2.0

Anyone else having lock up issues with their DS2000 ?

edit: I requested the 00.03.03 firmware from Rigol to see if that resolves my issue.

edit2: So I just upgraded to 03.03 SP1, been running it for the last 10 minutes, so far so good. Time to start looking into applying the hack.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:15:36 pm by Muxr »

Offline vladbrat

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2015, 07:54:57 am »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :-DD
My English is very bad.

Many thanks for your forum.
I have successfully activated your  DS2072A----> DS2302A
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:14:02 am by vladbrat »

Offline gadeev

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 01:29:26 pm »
anyone know if this hack works on the MSO2000 line? MSO2102?

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
anyone know if this hack works on the MSO2000 line? MSO2102?
See here
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:25:48 pm by Teneyes »
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline gadeev

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 05:51:22 pm »
thanks

Offline n40

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:08 am »
For what it's worth, I had a DS2072A with 00.03.00 SP1 H/W version 2.0 which refused to downgrade its OS, and therefore wouldn't work with the DS2072AUpgrader, but I was able to upgrade following the steps from JSE009's post (page 3 of this thread).

One note, I found that RigolBildschirmkopie application was quite buggy both on Windows and OSX, so although it eventually worked to dump the memory, it crashed every time I tried to paste the key SCPI command window. I assume that this is the same reason that JSE009 used UltraSigma to upload the new keys.

After this, my scope now shows all of the options unlocked, the bandwidth set to 300MHz and the model number now shows DS2302A.

Thanks to everyone who put such a lot of effort into getting all this to work.

Offline ARESRACES

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2015, 09:37:15 pm »
I just ordered my Rigol DS2072A and am NOT a geek. I would like to be able to upgrade the scope in the future but only if there is a way to restore it, if the upgrade goes bad (I have had this experience in the past with flash memory, BIOS's etc.). Is there a way of copying the existing firmware off the scope and saving it? I understand there is a "dongle" that can do this. Can anyone point me toward said "dongle" and give me basic instructions on how to do the copy/save? Thanks for ANY help. P.S. I'm 77 and on a limited income. This is the first decent scope I have ever owned and do not want to trash it.
Bill

Offline ARESRACES

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2015, 03:12:11 am »
BTO, Hi. I just purchased a Rigol  DS2072A. I definitely am NOT a computer geek (I'm 77 now) This is my first REAL scope ownership and do not wish to destroy it before I learn how to use it. At the beginning of your article you state
"THIS POST IS ONLY INTENDED FOR YOU IF YOU OWN OR ARE BUYING A DS200A SERIES RIGOL OSCILLOSCOPE
it is not For DS2000 Series (Although some of the instructions can be used)
it is not for the DS1000 Series"
So right off the start you have me confused. Is it for the DS2072A or not? I would like to do the hack in the future, when the trial period runs out. Is there a way to restore the scope if the hack should go badly? I can follow instructions well, so I'm not concerned with that aspect of the hack. Thank you for your reply.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2015, 03:52:35 am »
BTO does not appear to be active on the forum.

I suspect that the DS200A was a typo, and what he was saying was DS2000A versions ie the 'A' revision was required for this modify instruction.
If you had just the non 'A' revision it would not be as easy.
 I would guess you will have an 'A' revision scope.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2015, 03:54:32 am »
DS2000A is shorthand for all the DS2xxxA scopes (where x is some number). DS2072A is one of them. Just keep in mind the utility doesn't work with DS2072, it only works with the A version. So if you have a DS2072A then this procedure should apply to you.

Offline Doc38343

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 10:54:30 pm »
Hello All,

Same here,

Came with v3.01 and bootloader v2.0

Got the memory dump with Bildschirmkopie, runned rigup, entered the code via keys on scope itself.. and voila fully unlocked :)

Just did mine successfully using this method. I had to enter the key thru the scope also but it worked like a dream, no troubles so far.
Thank you to all. You guys freaken ROCK!  O0  :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline Amonra

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2015, 10:19:40 pm »
Greetings All.
Wanted to let people know that I was able to get my 2072a upgraded with the RigolBildschirmkopie utility only after using lan rather than usb to connect with the update utility to get the dump. Rigup worked great once I remembered all the command line stuff I never use anymore.
I started with 00.03.00.SP1 HW 2.0.

Thank you to Madcrow, BTO and all of the others who have made this possible. Its people like you who make cultures great.
Also thank you Rigol

Offline ARESRACES

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2015, 12:59:39 am »
I found the " DS 2072A unlocking guide V1" instructions on http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/D2072A%20Unlocking%20Guide.pdf.  Zombie28 showed a link for the modified firmware file " DS2000Update.GEL "  at https://mega.co.nz/#!MdcEWTgL!0EEmSr-Q6TxaFSsyEmjhRrgqDvFCoXg9K49BalL5Uxc.  :-//Unfortunately the file is no longer there  . Can anyone help me with finding this missing file? Does the "DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer" create the missing file itself?
Using the JTAG MEMORY DUMP route is definitely not for this computer ill literate dummy.

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2015, 01:25:33 am »
send me your email address.

Offline yashi

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2015, 04:47:27 pm »
I am a bit confused. As of know I found two different tutorials to unlock a Rigol DS2072A

1. which seems to be very simple:

via this unlock guide:  http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/D2072A%20Unlocking%20Guide.pdf
it seems to require a special firmware etc. Why would i choose this route when there is a much simpler way?

Offline george2002

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
Hello all eevblog users :)
Is there any news for unlocking DS2072A with 00.03.03.02.06 (00.03.03 SP2) installed ? i'm asking because i buyed oscilloscope installed with that version and as for today i tried hack him it with instructions:

^- oscilloscope says that license is wrong ...

via this unlock guide:  http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/D2072A%20Unlocking%20Guide.pdf

^- no luck to downgrade firmware ... as everyone says that firmware can't be downgraded to older than 00.03.....

and have no luck to hack it :( and i don't want to mess with jtag for now because osciloscope has varranty ...

If someone knows something i would be very grateful for any info because i bought this equipment with think of more capabilites and  i need them for measurments ...

Best Regards
George2002
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:33:16 pm by george2002 »

Offline Shavik

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2015, 04:03:39 pm »
Hello all eevblog users :)
Is there any news for unlocking DS2072A with 00.03.03.02.06 (00.03.03 SP2) installed ? i'm asking because i buyed oscilloscope installed with that version and as for today i tried hack him it with instructions:

^- oscilloscope says that license is wrong ...

^- no luck to downgrade firmware ... as everyone says that firmware can't be downgraded to older than 00.03.....

and have no luck to hack it :( and i don't want to mess with jtag for now because osciloscope has varranty ...

If someone knows something i would be very grateful for any info because i bought this equipment with think of more capabilites and  i need them for measurments ...

Best Regards
George2002

I am also curious about this. I was just about to purchase the DS2072A from Tequipment with their discount (which would be nice if someone could PM that code. :)) but would only do so if I could for sure upgrade it to 300Mhz w/ the extra SW options.

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2015, 12:32:56 am »
Can you overclock the chips for fast waveform update rates and such? Furthermore, if you mod up the bandwidth and memory does the unit use more power? What are the fan CFM ratings on the 2072A and 2302A?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2015, 11:09:37 am »
Shavik - PM Sent

Offline bineteri

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2015, 05:11:45 am »
I am also curious about this. I was just about to purchase the DS2072A from Tequipment with their discount (which would be nice if someone could PM that code. :)) but would only do so if I could for sure upgrade it to 300Mhz w/ the extra SW options.

I bought a DS2072A from Tequipment last week. It arrived today. Using Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB and rigup.exe, I was able to unlock every option and 300MHz. ;D

The scopes they are selling now are at firmware version 3 and that makes it a little bit harder to unlock everything.  :'(

If anyone worries about the hack possibly damaging the scope, it won't. You can pay Rigol to get official license keys for your scope to unlock the same features.

Offline george2002

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2015, 11:20:06 am »

I bought a DS2072A from Tequipment last week. It arrived today. Using Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB and rigup.exe, I was able to unlock every option and 300MHz. ;D

The scopes they are selling now are at firmware version 3 and that makes it a little bit harder to unlock everything.  :'(

If anyone worries about the hack possibly damaging the scope, it won't. You can pay Rigol to get official license keys for your scope to unlock the same features.

Hello Bineteri, could you be so kind and write how do you done unlock step by step for me :) ? Until today i have not luck to get it done :( also as i mentioned i have firmware 00.03.03.02.06 and wanted to know if someone done hack with that version of firmware, because i nor then maybe it is blocked somehow to not do the hack and can't be done in that ways mentioned on that friendly forum :)
Best Regatds
Grzegorz
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:22:54 am by george2002 »

Offline bineteri

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2015, 01:39:09 am »
Alright, here are more details as I guess people will find this post and will be eager to upgrade their scopes. ;D
  • Connect your oscilloscope to your LAN
  • Find out its IP address:
     Utility button, IO Setting, LAN Set.
  • Download and install Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB
  • Go in the Device/Select... menu and connect to your scope.
  • Use the program to perform a memory dump.
     This is done through the Device/SCPI-Command... menu
  • Do not forget to press "save" to write the memory dump file
     (name it DS2072A_sdram.bin)
  • Install the DS2000A Upgrade utility.
     I got it from http://gotroot.ca/rigol/DS2000A_Upgrade_Utility_1_0_0_1_Installer.exe
  • Copy the memory dump file to the upgrade utility install folder
    (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\DS2000A Upgrade Utility)
  • In a windows command prompt, cd to the upgrade utility folder.
  • Run the rigup command to extract your scope's private keys:
    rigup scan DS2072A_sdram.bin > EC-keys.txt
  • Run the rigup command again to generate your option keys:
    rigup DS2072A DS2072A_sdram.bin > Options.txt
  • Open the Options.txt file and choose a key that you want to use. You can either use your scope's interface to enter the key or use Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB to send an SCPI command to install the options. I used the program to save time as the Rigol's onscreen keyboard is slow. If you opt to use the SCPI command, remove the dashes from the chosen key.
  • Return to Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB and create a new SCPI command:
    :SYST:OPT:INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES

This worked for me. Tell me if it worked with your scopes and what software/hardware version you had. :)

The other methods didn't work. I couldn't downgrade my firmware so the upgrade utility failed and for some reason, ncat couldn't connect to my scope and timed out. :o

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:22:47 pm by bineteri »

The following users thanked this post: BiggieJohn

Offline lifili

« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2015, 10:20:34 am »
bineteri, thank you! Today recieved DS2072A and now it DS2302A!  :-+ ;D
Software version: 00.03.03.SP1
Hardware version: 2.0

P.S. at 11 step have to write DS2072A instead DS2072:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:23:43 am by lifili »

Offline bineteri

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:38 pm »
P.S. at 11 step have to write DS2072A instead DS2072:

I corrected the post, glad I could help :)

Offline arabesc

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »
13. Return to Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB and create a new SCPI command:

This worked for me. Tell me if it worked with your scopes and what software/hardware version you had. :)
This doesn't work for me. I got unlock code but device doesn't accept it.
Model: MSO2302A
S/W version: 00.03.03.SP2
H/W version: 2.2

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2015, 11:43:03 am »

This doesn't work for me. I got unlock code but device doesn't accept it.
Model: MSO2302A
S/W version: 00.03.03.SP2
H/W version: 2.2

Here's what I would do:
First try with code NSER (this is the 100Mhz code with all options) if that does work, also try the NS8N code. If both codes are accepted, your DS2072A is unlocked.

However if non of the above codes work, it is possibly blocked by the SP2 firmware. Try to downgrade to the 03.03.SP1 firmware, and apply the same codes from above again.

The downgrade process is best invoked with the help button during power-on of the scope.

If downgrading is not possible, RIGOL has blocked the license submission via SCPI, and can only done via a .LIC file.

Offline arabesc

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2015, 12:28:00 pm »
First try with code NSER (this is the 100Mhz code with all options) if that does work, also try the NS8N code. If both codes are accepted, your DS2072A is unlocked.
It's originally the MSO2302A device, thus DS2072A would be the downgrade.

Try to downgrade to the 03.03.SP1 firmware, and apply the same codes from above again.
I already tried to downgrade to one of the previous firmware versions and it was not possible.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2015, 01:26:30 pm »
It's originally the MSO2302A device, thus DS2072A would be the downgrade.

Try to downgrade to the 03.03.SP1 firmware, and apply the same codes from above again.
I already tried to downgrade to one of the previous firmware versions and it was not possible.
Not so many experience here with unlocking an 300MHz DS2302A model. Most people here buy the 70MHz model. I'm not even sure if the NSEH code has ever been tested on a MSO2302A.

RIGOL now sells the DS2000A series with all options installed for free. After purchase you can apply a .LIC file via the  USB key and unlock all options. They say you need the 03.03.SP2 software to make this work. See for instance Batronix or Eleshop or AR benelux.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:33:00 pm by Orange »

Offline Jonson.poisk

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2015, 07:49:12 am »
Hello
Please tell me you can hack the firmware DS2072A
Software vers 00.03.03.sp1
Hardware vers 2.0
If so, how?
Thank you in advance

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2015, 07:55:31 am »
Hello
Please tell me you can hack the firmware DS2072A
Software vers 00.03.03.sp1
Hardware vers 2.0
If so, how?
Thank you in advance

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/msg759941/#msg759941

Offline Jonson.poisk

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2015, 01:27:38 pm »
Thank you very much. I do not know how not to noticed   ::)

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2015, 10:30:06 pm »
another unit 'upgraded'. FW 00.03.03.SP2; HW 2.0
do as explained here by bineteri https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/msg759941/#msg759941
No problem with SP2.
Hint: I had a problem first at step 13, as I did not recognize the word "INSTALL"
(thought it would be part of 'INSTALL A_KEY_FROM_OPTIONS_WITHOUT_DASHES' and did not see the missing underscore)
@beneteri: maybe you can differentiate this optically by using italics and/or color such as:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:48:51 am by Pinkus »

Offline rebucklives

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2015, 04:56:27 am »
Upgraded a new unit today too following the procedure that bineteri posted above.  Unit was purchased 12/7/15 with a SW 00.03.00.SP1 and HW 2.0. from TE.  For the most part very straight forward procedure.   No real issues besides a couple little things that I ran into.  Make sure you have a good solid connection to your LAN when downloading the 32Mb memory dump.  For some reason I would get about half way through and my WiFi on the laptop would drop out and would have to start over.  Problem went away as soon as I connected in with the cable.  Also make sure you have administrative privileges when you open the windows command prompt for steps 9 to 11.  Great work guys and thanks again for all who were involved!   

Offline EdoFede

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »
Hi everyone!

I've received my new DS2072A an hour ago.
My unit comes with:
- HW version 2.0
- SW version 00.03.01

I've read the methods suggested here in the thread to hack/unlook the scope, and the "old" method hosted by gotroot.ca.

I understand that the actual procedure is that:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlockinghacking-the-rigol-ds2000a-series-scope-the-short-post/msg759941/#msg759941

I'm a little bit confused about the firmware version that I got and the one that I've to use to do the hack.
Could you help me?

Is there a maximum firmware version that allow to do the "all options + 300MHz" hack?
Do you suggest me to update the firmware (...how?  :-[ ) before to do the hack?
Could you confirm that the hack is reversible, in case of HW damage that needs for Rigol support?

Thanks in advance!

Bye,
Edoardo

Offline EdoFede

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2015, 09:01:09 am »
Meanwhile I've requested the new firmware to Rigol.
They sent me the 00.03.04.02.01 version (stated as 00.03.04 SP2 on Rigol's firmware page).

It was released on Dec 14, just few days ago.

I've made a search on the forum with fw version (also truncated), without success
But found one user that tried this new version with success:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg823688/#msg823688
with all options installed?

Yes, I have official options exept one. All are still there.

Bye,
Edoardo

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2015, 01:09:14 pm »
I have DS2202 not DS2202A!

Offline EdoFede

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 09:54:47 am »
whoops... thanks for your correction  :-+

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 11:27:11 am »
EdoFede,

I bought a DS2072A-S (identical to non -S version, just has the builtin generator) a little over a year ago and did the upgrade at that time to 300MHz + All Options. I installed the newest firmware you just got from Rigol yesterday and and still have all options activated. The guide you linked to from earlier in the thread is the correct one, and you can uninstall all the options and bandwidth upgrade with a single command ":SYSTEM:OPTION:UNINSTALL" at any time. I have been playing around with the different codes recently and so have uninstalled, reinstalled, changed to different ones quite a few times over the last couple of months. As far as I know it does not matter what version of the firmware you have installed, the hack will work. Early on in the search for how to unlock the options you would have to have a specific firmware to do the unlock, but that was because it was the firmware itself that had been modified to allow the unlock to work, with the procedure you linked to that is no longer the case. You can install the new firmware, then do the hack. Or do the hack then install the new firmware, it doesn't really matter. When you do install new firmware upgrades you do not need to uninstall the hack first, you can do the upgrade with the hack in place. The procedure really is as simple as it sounds, I have not heard of anyone have problems with it. Go forth with confidence!

Hardware Ver: 2.0
Software Ver: 00.03.04.02.01 AKA 00.03.04SP2

Edit: Corrected rigol model I own.

Edit 2: Wanted to add that Rigol have been aware of the "upgradeability" of their scopes for a long time now, if they wanted to stop it I'm sure they would have by now. Or at least patched the hole that allows it to work, but they have not.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:32:40 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline EdoFede

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2015, 01:02:20 pm »
Thank you very much!  :-+ :)

Got my DS2072A with all options installed,
then I've upgraded the firmware.

No problem at all, following the procedure and your suggestions.

Now, next mod... silence the noisy fan!
I think that it's just a matter of air turbolence due to the fan position (strictly close to the fan grid), because the air flow it's very low.

Bye,
Edoardo

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2015, 07:57:02 pm »
Bineteri's method worked without problems for me.
Software 00.03.03.sp1
Hardware 2.0

With a 1 GHz signal generator I get these responses before and after upgrade:

The following users thanked this post: materialsguy

Offline algorhythm

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2016, 11:40:30 pm »
DS2072A
Hardware: 2.0
Software: 00.03.00.SP1

Another successful unlock using the method below:

Step-1: Installed software "Rigol Bildschirmkopie LAN/USB"

PM me if you need the makefile to build rigup 0.4 in os x...

The following users thanked this post: HK3R

Offline Deusjevoo

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:01 pm »
Would this still work on the Scopes coming from Rigol now?
No stock supply, dealer gets new shipment in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Annihilata

« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2016, 04:47:07 am »
Just recently purchased the DS2072A and it came with all the upgrades for free, but would really like the higher bandwidth. Should I do the free upgrades before the hack? Not sure if it matters, but figured I would ask.

Offline Annihilata

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2016, 01:52:02 am »
Could not get the easy way to work, but the solution posted by Bineteri worked for me. To simplify things just need the memory dump then everything is straightforward from there. I really hate command prompts and avoid them whenever possible, but not this time.

SW 00:03:01
HW 2.0

Thanks to everyone that made this possible you guys rock.

Offline vdsl

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2016, 06:47:28 pm »
Sucessfully hacked my Scope to 300 MHz and all Options!

MSO2072A (70MHz with Logic Analyzer)
SW: 00.03.00.SP1
HW: 2.2

I used the sequence from bineteri  (Reply #69 on: September 21, 2015, 11:39:09 AM).
Although I had to enter the key directly into the scope. SCPI Command from Bildschirmkopie did not work.
First I entered the key to unlock all options, to check if this works.
Then I entered the key for the 300MHz + all options, and that worked also.

Thanks alot guys and have a nice day!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:50:56 pm by vdsl »

Offline EmbeddedTec

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2016, 02:46:31 pm »
Successfully unlocked 300 MHz Bandwidth and all options using the bineteri method (Reply #69) :

DS2072A
SW: 00.03.03.SP2
HW: 2.0

Adding the key via Bildschirmkopie worked like a charm.  8)

Thanks a lot to all the people who put so much effort into reverse engineering and scripting! :-+

Offline Gismo

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2016, 01:39:16 am »
I have a question: I wand to buy a MSO2072a-s. Is the hack still working in march 2016?

Offline jixe

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2016, 03:23:02 pm »
I have a question: I wand to buy a MSO2072a-s. Is the hack still working in march 2016?

Do you have software version 00.03.04.SP2 on your MSO2072a-s ?  If so, that's the same as my DSO2072A and I have yet to find a post claiming success with that software. In one post someone talks about a "latest hackable version" . I would quote it but have been unable to find it again.
If anyone has successfully unlocked 300MHz and options on 00.03.04.SP2 or they know why it would not work ( eg Rigol clampdown?? ) please post.
I'm very much a novice at these things, and it would be great to get confirmation that madcrows utility would work for  00.03.04.SP2.
Thanks very much.

Offline Gismo

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2016, 10:29:45 pm »
I'am not buy one. But if i do i wand this Options. I see the Posts end in February in the WWW who People hacks this scope. I think i was too late  :-// |O

Offline Veketti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2016, 06:15:35 am »
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to bineteri as his method still works (post #69). And thanks to everybody who made this upgrade possible. Scope DS2072A f/w 00.03.03.SP2 h/w 2.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:09:08 am by Veketti »

Offline me5647

« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2016, 04:52:43 am »
Signed up to claim success on a DS2072A with factory installed 00.03.04.SP2 and hardware version 2.2 

Scope was just delivered today. 
After a little research I followed this guide (http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=60018.0 post #2)

The guide I followed is essentially the same as post #69 in this thread up to the point where you actually install the keys.  You install the 200mhz-all option key first, followed by the 'NS8N' 300mhz key.
Honestly I have no idea if this is required or not, but I tried it and it worked the first time. I have also seen this mentioned in another thread somewhere without step by step instructions.

Went smoothly, didn't have to mess with the firmware at all.  Just hook the scope up to LAN, a couple downloads, copy and paste, and some cmd prompt.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:54:34 am by me5647 »

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2016, 05:04:33 pm »
For the DS2000As its not required to install the 200MHz key before the 300MHz. You can go straight to the 300MHz.

Congrats, glad it worked for you. Hope you enjoy the scope.

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2016, 07:42:33 am »
Good job here. Just see this forum has some good hacking. Worth to try new things.
Always on a trip....

Offline zor01

« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2016, 04:26:37 pm »
Hello.
I would like to thank everyone involved in the unlocking procedure who contributed here. So, I will also give my contribution and tell my story.

A few days ago while updating the DS2072A firmware for the first time, there was a power failure and when I turned the oscope on again, it simply did not boot. Either the old firmware was corrupted of there was no firmware at all anymore. So I began to panic because tough the device was purchased in the US, it was taken to my Country and there is no RIGOL dealer around here. In the probable worst scenario, I would have to send it back to US for a reprogramming. I tried to boot with a firmware installed firmware, but it did not work.
But then, things started to get brighter for me.
Frustraded by not finding any documentation on the RIGOL side about this, and also by finding very, very few information in the internet, after days of searching, I found a post by some guy somewhere I do not remember now, in which he mentions about a procedure involving pressing the 'help' button twice for a reset. Guess what, I did it and when I inserted the pendrive, it began go flash channel 1 for about 5 to 10 minutes. And after that, I removed the pendrive, restarted the oscope and voilá... Back to life again with a new firmware!

So, I got excited in trying something I had avoided for all this time for a complete lack of time and little interest... Unlocking the hidden features to hack the oscilloscope.
In about 3 days, I could read all information about this, coming from this forum and also from SONSIVRI.
The procedures in reality were not rocket science but they were not easy either.
In fact the procedure desccribed in the sonsivri site regarding the command prompt got me stuck when I followed step 7, going back to 'rigup' to send/receive  the license and codes info I got from the command prompt.
As I had read tons of documents and visited several sites reading the posts by many people, I decided to post the procedure that worked for me and it's shorter and simpler than the one posted in the sonsivri site. Only a few steps need to be followed instead of the several listed there.

1 - Get the german app 'RigolBildschirmkopie' (sorry I have no link at hand right now, but do a google search and it will be easily found).

2 - Connect your oscope in the LAN or better, connect it to your computer via USB. (I spend like forever, trying to make the oscope visible in windows net only to find after more than 10 hours that this is actually not needed. The rigup app only needs the IP address to 'sense' your oscope. But I think using the USB procedure is more practical).

3 - Go to SCPI dump option and make the memory dump by copying the command which is featured in the app list. It will take about 1 to 2 minutes to dump the 32MB of information. Some member in a forum reported this would take 5 to 10 minutes. This is incorrect.

4 - Once you have the data, save it with whatever name you like, but make sure that you save in the same folder where the 'RIGUP ' version 0.4 is intalled.

5 - Then comes the only tricky part. DO NOT START THE RIGUP APP. It will call a command prompt and will be gone in 2 seconds. You need to call the windows command prompt and GUIDE THE COMMAND PROMPT TO EXACTLY WHERE YOUR RIGUP APP IS INSTALLED. So for instance <C:\Users\JohnDoe\Downloads\rigup-0.4\rigup-0.4> in this case, this is featured twice because the app when unzipped builds two folders.
Right after this you insert the command "rigup 2072A <your saved file.scpi>. In my case, the command was 'rigup 2072A memoryDump.scpi'.
Then a lot of data is displayed and all the codes appear with its corresponding licence keys.

6 - Now simply get the code you want and write down the licence key to later insert in the oscope editor. In my case it was NS8H which corresponds to a full upgrade with all features turning it in a 300MHz machine. Copy the four groups of 7 digits.
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO GET THE IMPLEMENTATION. NO NEED TO FOLLOW ANY OTHER 7 TO 8 STEPS LISTED IN THE SONSIVRI FORUM.
Start you oscope, go to system>system info>editor and insert the licence key you copied. When you are done, hit 'apply' and in less than 2 seconds a message informing it was intalled shows up in the screen. And finally go to 'intalled' option. All features show up there.
And when you return to system info, there is no DS2072A no more. NOW DS2302 IS FEATURED AS THE CURRENT MODEL.

Hope this helps a lot of people.
In case you need more details, go to the orignal sonsivri post and stop in step 7. You do not need any other steps.
Regards.

The following users thanked this post: Daruosha, thememo

Offline zor01

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2016, 04:28:12 pm »
ooops... forgot to include the sonsivri forum link:

http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=60018.0

Offline whotopia

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2016, 11:59:18 am »
Cross posting from the old big thread.....

Can someone help me out to restore the serial number of a DS2072A ?
I tried to do some of the hacks in the distant past and this lead me to a unit with serial number DS2A0000000001.
The MAC address on the LAN interface is also screwed up.  It's 46:46:46:46:46:46.  I assume this must be uniquely generated from the serial number somehow.
The device is currently at firmware DS2000(DSP)Update_00.03.04.01.00

I think if I could get hold of a memory dump from someone with a working unit (and what their serial number is) I could write back correct values into the scope with my own number.   Hopefully the other keys in my system's memory are not screwed up.   Thanks!

Offline Slappy_g

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2016, 02:05:30 pm »
Keep in mind guys that even if the process is a royal pain to do, the memory dump via JTAG cannot be blocked by the firmware.

Therefore, you can *always* do the upgrade, but you'll have to open your scope and use a JTAG interface to your PC.  I posted an instruction guide a while back for how I unlocked my MSO2072 to a MSO2302 with all options.  Honestly, the hardest part is carefully unsticking the warranty sticker without damaging it.

Offline Power Designer

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2016, 05:46:57 am »
Hi guys,
About 18 months ago I followed (the long version) of this post and ultimately hacked my DS2202A Rigol scope successfully. This hack has worked for me very impressively, however of late (no doubt due to parameter changes I have made on the scope) the scope has now encountered a known bug (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1054z-freeze-up-bug/25/) that causes the user interface to routinely lock up. I thought it high time to upgrade the firmware on my scope, which presently sits at 00.03.00.SP1. My question is, will I be able to upgrade my firmware successfully, without disrupting my presently unblocked features, or will I have to run through the whole process once again? And if I can safely upgrade the firmware, where do I get a copy of it from (aside from contacting Rigol, which I seem to remember before was a bit troublesome and not as simple as downloading a copy of the latest firmware from their website)?

Again, many thanks for your work here guys. Very impressed.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2016, 08:32:29 am »
Hi guys,
About 18 months ago I followed (the long version) of this post and ultimately hacked my DS2202A Rigol scope successfully. This hack has worked for me very impressively, however of late (no doubt due to parameter changes I have made on the scope) the scope has now encountered a known bug (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1054z-freeze-up-bug/25/) that causes the user interface to routinely lock up. I thought it high time to upgrade the firmware on my scope, which presently sits at 00.03.00.SP1. My question is, will I be able to upgrade my firmware successfully, without disrupting my presently unblocked features, or will I have to run through the whole process once again? And if I can safely upgrade the firmware, where do I get a copy of it from (aside from contacting Rigol, which I seem to remember before was a bit troublesome and not as simple as downloading a copy of the latest firmware from their website)?

Again, many thanks for your work here guys. Very impressed.
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/ct/1579/p-001a/Bct/-/-/ct1_0/1?sid=TV2%3AMThO8uNxL

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2016, 10:40:55 pm »
Yes, the unlocked options will remain through a firmware upgrade. You will not need to go through the unlock process again.

The following users thanked this post: Power Designer

Offline Power Designer

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2016, 12:19:42 am »
Yes, the unlocked options will remain through a firmware upgrade. You will not need to go through the unlock process again.

To confirm, I ran an upgrade (from 3.00 to 3.05) and it ran perfectly. As you mentioned, I did not need to repeat the process of hacking my 'scope, all additional features remained unlocked as they were prior to the upgrade. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

The following users thanked this post: sorin

Offline fab13

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »
Good morning , did you ever get a solution I also have a 2102A and so far I was not cable to upgrade , did you found a solution for your scope ?

my firmware version is :" 00.03.04.SP2 "

thx for any info

Fab

Offline horga83

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2016, 07:19:13 pm »
I want to buy a DS20172A and upgrade it.  This video: https://youtu.be/_TSr9nFN1GU?t=154 claims that the bandwidth is not software upgradeable.  Is a new November 2016 DS2072A upgradable and unlockable still?

Thanks

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:09 pm »
I want to buy a DS20172A and upgrade it.  This video: https://youtu.be/_TSr9nFN1GU?t=154 claims that the bandwidth is not software upgradeable.  Is a new November 2016 DS2072A upgradable and unlockable still?

Thanks

He meant "officially". Read a few posts above and you will find the idiot proof instructions.

Hello.
I would like to thank everyone involved in the unlocking procedure who contributed here. So, I will also give my contribution and tell my story.

A few days ago while updating the DS2072A firmware for the first time, there was a power failure and when I turned the oscope on again, it simply did not boot. Either the old firmware was corrupted of there was no firmware at all anymore. So I began to panic because tough the device was purchased in the US, it was taken to my Country and there is no RIGOL dealer around here. In the probable worst scenario, I would have to send it back to US for a reprogramming. I tried to boot with a firmware installed firmware, but it did not work.
Frustraded by not finding any documentation on the RIGOL side about this, and also by finding very, very few information in the internet, after days of searching, I found a post by some guy somewhere I do not remember now, in which he mentions about a procedure involving pressing the 'help' button twice for a reset. Guess what, I did it and when I inserted the pendrive, it began go flash channel 1 for about 5 to 10 minutes. And after that, I removed the pendrive, restarted the oscope and voilá... Back to life again with a new firmware!

So, I got excited in trying something I had avoided for all this time for a complete lack of time and little interest... Unlocking the hidden features to hack the oscilloscope.
In about 3 days, I could read all information about this, coming from this forum and also from SONSIVRI.
The procedures in reality were not rocket science but they were not easy either.
In fact the procedure desccribed in the sonsivri site regarding the command prompt got me stuck when I followed step 7, going back to 'rigup' to send/receive  the license and codes info I got from the command prompt.
As I had read tons of documents and visited several sites reading the posts by many people, I decided to post the procedure that worked for me and it's shorter and simpler than the one posted in the sonsivri site. Only a few steps need to be followed instead of the several listed there.

1 - Get the german app 'RigolBildschirmkopie' (sorry I have no link at hand right now, but do a google search and it will be easily found).

2 - Connect your oscope in the LAN or better, connect it to your computer via USB. (I spend like forever, trying to make the oscope visible in windows net only to find after more than 10 hours that this is actually not needed. The rigup app only needs the IP address to 'sense' your oscope. But I think using the USB procedure is more practical).

3 - Go to SCPI dump option and make the memory dump by copying the command which is featured in the app list. It will take about 1 to 2 minutes to dump the 32MB of information. Some member in a forum reported this would take 5 to 10 minutes. This is incorrect.

4 - Once you have the data, save it with whatever name you like, but make sure that you save in the same folder where the 'RIGUP ' version 0.4 is intalled.

5 - Then comes the only tricky part. DO NOT START THE RIGUP APP. It will call a command prompt and will be gone in 2 seconds. You need to call the windows command prompt and GUIDE THE COMMAND PROMPT TO EXACTLY WHERE YOUR RIGUP APP IS INSTALLED. So for instance <C:\Users\JohnDoe\Downloads\rigup-0.4\rigup-0.4> in this case, this is featured twice because the app when unzipped builds two folders.
Right after this you insert the command "rigup 2072A <your saved file.scpi>. In my case, the command was 'rigup 2072A memoryDump.scpi'.
Then a lot of data is displayed and all the codes appear with its corresponding licence keys.

6 - Now simply get the code you want and write down the licence key to later insert in the oscope editor. In my case it was NS8H which corresponds to a full upgrade with all features turning it in a 300MHz machine. Copy the four groups of 7 digits.
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO GET THE IMPLEMENTATION. NO NEED TO FOLLOW ANY OTHER 7 TO 8 STEPS LISTED IN THE SONSIVRI FORUM.
Start you oscope, go to system>system info>editor and insert the licence key you copied. When you are done, hit 'apply' and in less than 2 seconds a message informing it was intalled shows up in the screen. And finally go to 'intalled' option. All features show up there.
And when you return to system info, there is no DS2072A no more. NOW DS2302 IS FEATURED AS THE CURRENT MODEL.

In case you need more details, go to the orignal sonsivri post and stop in step 7. You do not need any other steps.
Regards.

Offline horga83

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »
This worked great thanks.  Rigup under Linux is run as ./rigup ds2072a <file> NOT rigup 2072a <file>
I did not require Windows or Mac for anything, all worked great under Linux.

Offline nabardwell

« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2016, 08:53:40 am »
This is sort of random but I had not seen any postings on it the DS 2072 non A as far as Ive seen can only be upgraded to DS 2202.  I tested if i could do all options enabled with key gen DSHH from http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/.  This unlocked to fully optioned DS2302. Got this scope on ebay for $450 so woo hoo $2500 scope for $450. 

Offline radiotech9409

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2017, 07:59:09 am »
I received the DS2072A today.  It came with sw 03.05 and hw 2.3.  I have not tried the jtag option.  However, rigolbildschirmkopie's dump does not contain the keys.  Rigup won't be able to extract the keys, since the dump does not contain the keys.  Any help is appreciated.

I finally got the following keys:  RC5KEY1, RC5KEY2, XXTEAKEY, PUBKEY AND PRIVKEY.  Rigolbildschirmkopie provides good memory dump.  The problem is with rigup 0.4.2.  It does not provide the keys.  I used rigup o.1 and it provides the mentioned keys.  You just need to run rigup license yourkeys.txt NSxx.  replacing yourkeys.txt with the name of the file that has all the keys in it.  also replace xx in NSxx with the options that you want.

All well.  Finally, my DS2072A, sw 03.05, hw 2.3, was unlocked.  Now i can have my B&K precisions 2160 (analog, only 60 mHz, 2 channels) to retire after 25+ years.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:23:31 pm by radiotech9409 »

Offline Kritter

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2017, 09:18:39 pm »
Just did my scope today, after a year in the box from new due it too many countries move I finally have time to play and upgrade my DS2072A 03.04.SP1. The process is strait forward. Now I will enjoy my 300Mhz with all possible tools.

Thanks for all involved in this forum and for the amazing tools developed.

:clap:
Mr. K.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »
 :-BROKE

I tried to apply the latest firmware to my MSO2072A (MSO2302A) today - I inserted the USB drive with the .gel file and it was recognized with an offer to upgrade - I pressed the [OK] button but the progress bar got about 10% of the way across and then stopped so, after about 30 minutes, I gave up and removed the USB drive and cycled power.  Now it seems to be bricked, I get the RIGOL / Ultravision splash screen displayed continuously and that's it.  I've tried the 5th button down on the left pressed repeatedly and double-press of the help button, with and without a new USB drive with the gel file on it.  Any ideas?

[EDIT] I recovered it, here's the steps to follow...
1. With the USB drive removed... press the [Help] button several times immediately as you switch on and before the Rigol screen appears - if the Rigol screen appears you failed to get into 'Update' mode and need to repeat this step. 
2. If you're successful in getting into 'Update' mode, you will have a black screen and the top right [Single] button will be illuminated.
3. Now insert the USB drive with the new .gel file on it and watch the [Ch1] button, it should flash and, if your USB drive has an activity LED, it should start flashing too.
4. After about 10 minutes, the [Run-Stop] Button will light up in addition to the [Single] button but there are no messages on screen
5. Now turn power off, remove USB, and power on - scope should boot up normally - I saw the new version was 00.03.05, previously it was 00.03.00.SP1

I think my original issue was that I originally used a flakey USB drive.  I also performed a self-cal.  The instructions I followed are the second link on this page... http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-001a/t/page/fm/0

I can also confirm that the upgrade licenses have all been preserved through all of the above.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:11:42 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline BC109C

Had my DS2072A for just over a year and about to unlock.
I am on FW 00.03.03.SP1 and Hardware 2.0

I have captured the memory dump and rigup has generated my unlock code.
Looking at Zor01's post

The scope editor is missing from the System, System Info, editor screen.

I'm sure this screen is the same editor, now found under Utility, (scroll down
to options) then setup:
(For some reason couldnt attach the file so posted on imgmur)

I'll just wait for someone to confirm before I enter codes.
Thanks to everyone involved with this thread.

Edit:
OK, Thought if the code was wrong it would reject it, so entered
the unlock code, result another successful unlock on Linux Mint.
Thank you all ! :-+
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:10:29 pm by BC109C »

Offline Marinel

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2017, 08:20:36 am »
I just flash a new firmware 00.03.05.00.01 to my DS2072A, the old one was 00.03.03.sp1, hack remained active, everything is fine. :-+
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:40:28 am by Marinel »

Offline peo007

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2017, 10:32:45 am »
I upgraded my DS2072A to DS2202A :D
S. W. 03.04.SP2
H. W. 2.3

Read the instructions carefully, and read again
Memory dump (bildschirmkopie) + rigup 0.4 and I get the key, I chose the 200MHz option

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2017, 03:14:34 pm »
Unlocked MSO2072A
memory dump via network, no problem just on rigol go to system/IO, setup network or read IP if you have DHCP,
then use bildschirmkopie with this IP.
rigup 0.4 refused to take MSO2072A as a parameter, but was satisfied with DS2072A :)

Big thanks to community for another happy Rigol owner.

Offline stuboy

Rigol DS2000 Series Scope UPGRADE PROCEDURE in 6 easy steps :-)
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2017, 11:38:40 pm »
Just bought a second hand DS2072 hardware 1.0 firmware well out of date!

1) Updated to latest firmware:- http://int.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3 
Load the .GEL file onto a fat 32 usb key and insert into front of machine when its running, it will then ask you if you want to update, say yes and it takes a few minutes then it reboots, remove key and check its worked in the system menu.

2) Went onto:- http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/ entered serial and went for the full monty "DSHH" wrote the key down CAREFULLY!

3) Went to Utility, Options, Setup pressed "Editor On"

4) On the pop up keyboard i entered the key AND THEN TRIPLE CHECKED IT!

5) Press Apply

6) Crack open a can of beer and celebrate your success :-)

Cheers
Stu

Offline Genie

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2017, 10:41:03 am »
Hum Interesting....

I have purchased a DS2072A went through the rig 0.4 used the RigolBildschirmkopie send command through lan, I was able to bring the scope all feature at 200MHZ.
 But the 300MHZ says the license is not available... |O

Anyone got this and found a turnaround?
Soft version 03.05.SP1 Hardware version 2.3

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2017, 02:24:35 pm »
Are you saying you installed the 200MHz option then tried to install the 300HMz option afterwords? Try removing all options (:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall) then reinstall with the correct 300MHz plus all keys option (DSHH I think, check earlier in this thread to know for sure).  And to be clear, you don't need to install separate options for bandwidth and keys, there is a single option key that you install and it enables everything at once.

Edit: For anyone else that finds this, at this point I'm pretty sure the code I struck through above is not the correct one for the DS2000A scopes. Pretty sure it should be the NS8H for all options plus 300MHz. You can also find this code mentioned on one of the first replies on this page (pg 5?) above.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:21:22 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2018, 12:04:08 pm »
Was able to successfully update to 03.05.SP3 with all installed licenses preserved. Ran self Cal and all is good :D

Offline Steps

• Contributor
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2018, 08:16:49 am »
Was able to successfully update to 03.05.SP3 with all installed licenses preserved. Ran self Cal and all is good :D
The same. Everything done, successfully.
Sergey

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2018, 10:17:22 am »
The same. Everything done, successfully.
Firmware version 00.03.05.04.00?
Аll installed licenses preserved?

Offline geebd214

« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2018, 06:48:10 pm »
Encountered an issue with the utility where my scope showing up and I can't select next.  The device manager has the scope categorized as "USB Test and Measurement Devices --> USB Test and Measurement Device (IVI)".  Anyone have any ideas?

Firmware version update was successful
Firmware version 00.02.01

Offline Breizh13

« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2018, 12:35:58 pm »
Hello,

I bought my DS2072A last year in September from Batronix (Excellent seller, I recommend heartily this company!!). Yesterday, after many reading  on this forum and others, I decided to unlock my DS2072A to a DS2302A. With succesfull on a DS2072A SV 00.03.05.SP1 and HV is 2.3.
I used RigolBildschirmkopie to make the MemoryDump. After that with Rigup 0.4 I found the four keys from the scpi file.
I choosed to enter manually the NS8H key to unlock my Oscope to a 300MHz version. Tested with a generator, it works fine.

It remain me to thanks all the people involved in this procédure. This a very great job for the community. Thanks also to RIGOL !

Thanks a lot to all..........

Offline astra

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2018, 11:16:29 pm »
@geebd214
I had the same USB info:

and me too are not prompting any device.
I solved just detaching and attaching again the USB cable.
So i could proceed and now..it's "updated"..
thank you to all the people involved in this..
Astra.

per aspera ad astra..

Offline clytle374

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2018, 05:09:38 pm »
New guy here.  Just wanted to share my frustrating experience.  I have a 2072A HW ver 2.0  just bought it used and tried the keygen at gotroot.ca.  I followed the advice about updating firmware first and got myself into the situation where your firmware is too new to load the firmware that dumps the ROM.  I finally followed https://www.bambach.biz/projects/elektro/upgrade-rigol-ds2072a-to-ds2302a/ howto to get it done.  Honestly seems to be the easiest route, if only I hadn't found it last. The scope accepted all options and 200Mhz, the 300Mhz fails though. 

Cory

Offline kenche

« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2018, 06:42:25 pm »
BTO, are you still available for advice regarding Rigol scopes? I can't seem to get a valid key to change the scope features and options. Has Rigol plugged that loophole?

Ken

Offline clytle374

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2018, 12:29:44 am »
It appears to be known that newer firmware won't allow you to use the easy method in the beginning of this post. 

Offline thememo

« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2018, 02:19:43 pm »
 I follow this instrunctions on my new rigol Ds2072a... everyhing is OK in 5 minutes.  :)

Hello.

Regards.

Offline RAQU19

• !
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2018, 04:31:25 pm »
Hello  :)

I' ve followed the instruction showed above but problem appeared an i have no idea how to solve it. Would you like to help me?
The problem is that, after i've generated codes via RIGUP and tried to type it into the scope error message appeared "used serial number!".
Every option is still in trial version so it is impossible  that the code was applied earlier. I've tried every code genetated by app.
S v:03.05.SP3
H v : 2.3

thanks for help :)

Offline tatz

« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2019, 03:33:25 pm »
Напишите точно что нужно писать в командной строке со всеми знаками припенания

Offline darebgd

« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:20 am »
Too bad that this topic goes old already, just got my DS a few months ago... Another success story to report, even with the latest 03.06 software version  8)
Thanks to the all hard working ppl here  :-+ 

2102A -> 2302A

I've used rigup 4.0 (I wonder why 4.2 wouldn't work tho). I couldn't make the scope accept my license file (although it was labeled correctly - used the old .lic as a template), so I ended up punching in the characters manually. Surprisingly, it worked flawlessly that way.

I wonder how the future firmware updates will affect us... :-\
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:40:41 am by darebgd »

Offline BiggieJohn

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2020, 11:09:18 pm »
worked for me,
Model: MSO2102A
S/W version: 00.03.05.SP4
H/W version: 2.3

came with latest FW installed, but options were not unlocked as some are
now its a MSO2302A with all options unlocked.
Thank You
aspiring time nut, datacenter tech, HAM general class

Offline BiggieJohn

« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2020, 11:22:09 pm »
2102A -> 2302A
(Attachment Link)

how did you get SW 03.06? did yours come with it installed, that version isnt on the Rigol website.
Mine appears to have been very old stock from Amazon, cal was 2018-05-01, but had 03.05sp4 installed out of the box
aspiring time nut, datacenter tech, HAM general class

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2020, 01:05:06 am »
According to its released notes, firmware version 00.03.05.SP4 was first released on 2018/04/02.

You can get firmware version 00.03.06.00.00 from the Rigol Chinese web site:
https://supportcn.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:10:02 am by JDubU »

The following users thanked this post: BiggieJohn

Offline Gostek

« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2020, 10:23:43 am »
Hi guys,

I unlocked my DSO2302A some time ago and all works fine, but now got MSO2302A and the "OPTIONS/INSTALLED" soft button is grayed out, so I can't check it's current state.
Any ideas why it is like that ?

UPDATE:
There was no options installed... After entering the unlocking key, menu is accesible and shows all installed options  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:37:18 am by Gostek »

Offline stantibbs1

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2020, 04:36:09 pm »
Hi I'm new to this blog. but any who...
I bought a Rigol DS2202E Software version 00.03.05.SP3 Scope little over a year ago, It came with a free 1 yr.
Bundle Option software upgrade.
Bundle Option BND-DS2000A Included all the advanced trigger and decoding options. This option has since expired.
I'm looking to get this option back. Might this procedure help me with my quest

I see there are some unit inclusions and exclusions to this firmware upgrade presented here.
I have searched this post to find the compatibility with the DS2202E scope. Not found.
What do you think?

Foremost:
Also I was wondering is there a way to backup the original firmware before making a change like this?
Murphy's law is often close by when I'm doing something important.
Thanks in advance

Offline antiquant

« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2020, 11:31:43 am »
Last week I decided to update the firmware of my DS2072A (was 03.05.03) to the latest available version 03.05.04.

Update process went successfully, except one thing: now the oscilloscope in its Help menu doesn't show the pictures with graphical description of measurement functions meas-F-buttons for HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL automated measurements (on the left side from the LCD). The oscilloscope did show these graphical descriptions with previous firmware version. After upgrading it shows only greenish or reddish rectangles instead of pictures.
The thing is that the oscilloscope could be hacked (to obtain optional stuff) by the previous owner - and I don't know by what method it was done. Seems that all options stay, but the pictures (which could be useful for educational purposes, for "young players") are gone.

Can I do something with it to bring that pictures with the descriptions back? Lack of them is kinda upsetting.
Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:48:44 am by antiquant »

Offline seronday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2020, 12:19:57 pm »
There is a later FW version which fixed this problem.
Ver  00.03.06.00.00  is available from here
      https://int.rigol.com/SUPPORTS/software-firmware-download_3.html

The following users thanked this post: antiquant

Offline antiquant

« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2020, 02:49:07 pm »
seronday, thank you so much! Everything is Hunky Dory now!

Sorry, I've forgot to say hi.

Hi everyone!

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2020, 10:14:32 pm »
rigup 4.2 didn't work for me, but http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/rigup-0.4.zip worked like a charm

Online robca

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2020, 10:29:46 pm »
There is a later FW version which fixed this problem.
Ver  00.03.06.00.00  is available from here
      https://int.rigol.com/SUPPORTS/software-firmware-download_3.html
I was unsure about installing 03.06, given that there is no release notes for that one. Good to see there is at least a change explained (fix the broken help images, which happens for my 03.05.SP4, too)

Does anyone have the 03.06 release notes? Safe to use, I assume, given that at least 2 people here seem to have it...

Offline darebgd

« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2020, 10:27:34 pm »
I remember seeing the 3.06 on the official site, but only after you punch-in your serial number and do a proper log-in into your Rigol account. I was always wondering why I don't see my version on the official web page, thought it was a "special threat" for those who actually bought the thing. At least now I know... I have a Chinese scope regardless of the fact that I live on the opposite side of the planet :-DD or the opposite END of the planet, for those who believe in flat earth - gotta be respectful and politically correct, right ? :-//

Anyway, if I manage to remember my credentials, I'll try to dig up some release notes. I am almost 100% positive I've seen them. If it helps, I've got mine with the 3.06 preinstalled. I bought it recently, unboxed it myself.

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2020, 01:46:04 am »
You can download 3.06 without a serial number or login from Rigol's Chinese site:
https://supportcn.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3

The download links are accidentally covered by a transparent tech support window on the right side of the page but, if you reduce the horizontal size of the browser, the transparent window disappears and the download links are then clickable.

The ds2000 3.06 download only includes the .gel file though.  No release notes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:48:37 am by JDubU »

Online robca

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2021, 10:21:30 pm »
Just in case someone in the future bumps into this thread, the Rigol USA website now has the 3.06 firmware and readme https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/

Here's what the readme says for the last 3 releases. Interestingly the readme file inside the ZIP archive is timestamped June 2020, even if the GEL file is from January 2019

[Supported Model]    All the MSO/DS2000A Series Digital Oscilloscopes
[Latest Revision Date]  2019/01/29

[Updated Contents]
--------------------

v00.03.06.00.00  2019/01/29
     - Fixed the bug of wave displaying after AUTO

[History]
-------------
v00.03.05.04.00  2018/04/02
     - Inproved the wave updating

v00.03.05.03.03  2017/06/26
     - Add new models of DS2102E and DS2202E
     - Fixed the error of some Traditional Chinese menu
     - Fixed the bug of EDU version
     - Fixed the bug of wave stop updating

v00.03.05.00.01  2016/07/20
     - Modified the naming rule for saving screen snap
     - Fixed the bug of the wave stop updating
     - Fixed the bug of Math expression

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2021, 09:45:59 am »

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2021, 11:17:02 pm »
Had a previously hacked 2072 hw 2.0 that I just updated to this firmware (3.06), kept all the options and bandwidth.
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline listowka

« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2021, 07:31:18 pm »
Hello,

I want to ask if I buy a DS2072A now ... I guess it will come with the latest version of the software.
https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/             -        I see that it is   03.06.00.00

Will it be possible to unlock as described above?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:37:14 pm by listowka »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2021, 07:46:36 pm »
Will it be possible to unlock as described above?

Yes.

Offline listowka

« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2021, 10:22:30 am »
Thanks for the reply. I ordered .... I expect it to arrive :-)

p.s I want to thank you all. The oscilloscope has arrived ..... and it's already DS2302А :-).
I first uploaded the latest version of firmware. Then I did everything as described.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:23:32 pm by listowka »

Offline thegentdev

« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2022, 07:37:58 am »
Hello everyone,

I bought a new ds2072a and I want to upgrade it. On this page, http://gotroot.ca/rigol/ should I go through the pdf and do the installation with these two files DS2000-03_06_00_00.7z , rigup-0.4.2.zip

Offline from_the_north

« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2023, 01:23:46 am »
Hi everyone

I have a DS2072A that does not have the hack

Ive read through and tried each hack listed here and have no luck

Ive updated the scope to firmware 00.03.06 hardware ver 2.0

I installed the latest NI software and Ultra Sigma links up with the scope just fine over USB cable

I could only find a copy of RigolBildschirmkopie from march 2016...but when I run that it does not see the scope over
the USB cable connection even thou Ultra Sigma and Ultra Scope see the Scope over the cable just fine

If anyone has any advice to give im all ears...

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:28:25 am by from_the_north »

Offline from_the_north

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2023, 08:40:35 pm »
If anyone has any advice to give im all ears...

The 'RigolBildschirmkopie' only works with the WinUSB driver, which can be installed with e.g. Zadig. Otherwise you can use the LAN connection, which does not need a driver.

An archive of the website is here:
https://www.dreisiebner.at/temp/rigol-bildschirmkopie.zip

Peter

Thank you for the quick reply...after many hours of messing around....Success

I tried to install new usb drivers but it was still not seeing the scope....probbaly something I was doing wrong or missed

I gave up on trying to get it to connect over usb and hooked it up over the lan and bildschirmkopie saw it right away...was able to download the memory dump and save it in the same folder as rigup

ran rigup using windows CMD command line .......look at the rigup read me file it was very helpful..also another post on here with complete instructions was very helpful
using rigup

Thanks to all who posted I would not have been able to do this without the help of 10 other people who poated in this and other threads on this topic
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:44:40 pm by from_the_north »

Offline stewart.nz

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2023, 06:38:45 am »
Hi folks, successfully upgraded my DS2072A to a DS2302A today, all options shown as "official version" and the BW -3dB point went from 110 MHz to 390 MHz. Tested with a calibrated Antritsu S412E GPS locked. Scope set to 50 Ω input. Winner winner 😊.

BUT I then went to upgrade the firmware from 03.00.SP1 to 03.06.00.00 from here... https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/ (no login and no serial number required) and it's stuck FFS! The progress bar is about 10% along its way and it's been like that for 2 hours! 😥

HELP; What to do?

best regards
Stewart
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:48:35 am by stewart.nz »

Offline stewart.nz

« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2023, 01:11:18 am »
It’s all good now; I eventually found a couple of ancient treads on EEVblog from 2013 which described the firmware update procedure using the help button for another model scope; so fingers crossed that it would work for this model and it did...
I put the same USB drive in the scope with the same 3.06 firmware file, powered on the scope while hitting the help button.
Only the CH1 light came on (which was a change from previous; YA! 😊) so I left it a while, eventually a whole lot more lights came on so I left it a while longer.
There was never anything displayed on the screen the whole time (well not that I saw anyways); which was concerning!
Anyway, eventually I powered it down and took out the USB drive and turned it back on; expecting for it to be still stuck!
But to my surprise and huge relief it actually booted and is working fine now; all options and frequency upgrade are reporting for duty 100%.
AND even better it’s reporting software version: 00.03.06. So, I am very happy about that. 😊
Screenshot of 300 MHz sinewave from Anritsu. The sinewave starts to get pretty ugly above 300 MHz TBH but 300 MHz it's all good given it was a 70 MHz scope a few days ago.
I'm so inspired by all of this I might just splash out on another RIGOL scope; a lot of things work better than my other "K" brand scope and it's a 1/4 of the price.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 01:12:54 am by stewart.nz »

Offline ause

« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2023, 07:14:19 am »
Hi All, successfully upgraded my DS2072A to a DS2302A today, software 3.05, Hardware 2.0. Only real problem was finding the 'RigolBildschirmkopie', as I needed to get the 32Mb bin download, the other methods only seemed to get ~16Mb so the rigup complained of not finding any keys.

An archive of the website is here for'RigolBildschirmkopie' :
https://www.dreisiebner.at/temp/rigol-bildschirmkopie.zip

Many thanks to those who blazed this trail and it seems to work better on the menus as well, as they were way too sensitive before the upgrade.

Offline BTOTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2024, 09:47:59 pm »
Hi Guys,
Firstly my apologies for my long absence (A Lot of has happened, Family Issues, People passing away etc) Sometimes life just deals you a really crap hand that lasts for a very long time.
What do you do.

ANYWAY, I'M BACK! (And happy to help anyone who needs a hand through the upgrade process)

Moving forward...
I've read the entire topic over again to catch up and seen that some of you needed my help, Again apologies, but i'm glad you guys ended up upgrading your scope.

I think it's been 10 years since my DS2000A Purchase .

I WANT TO TRY AND UPGRADE MY SCOPE FROM MY SCOPES CURRENT VERSION 00.02.01 TO THE LATEST VERSION 03.06.00.00

I can confirm that
- My scope was unlocked 1 year ago with the full options and 300MHz Bandwidth Successfully (as per the first post on this topic).
- Currently my scope is on the following version (Same as 1 year ago)

SYSTEM INFORMATION
     Model:                          DS2302A
     Serial:                          DS2D160000000
     Software Version:          00.02.01

I am currently planning on updating through 11 Versions to see if they all retain the software unlock options.
I plan to go through all the versions 1 by 1 (The idea is to the confirm that they can all be upgraded without losing the options)
NOTE : I do not know if you can upgrade straight from 00.02.01 to 03_06_00_00, I'm going through them incrementally 1 by 1.

I OBTAINED THE FILES FROM THIS URL.
https://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/[/color]]https://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/

I Plan to update through the following versions.
the name of the left is the file name , the name on the right is what actually appears in your scope after the update

FILE NAME           -  ACTUAL VERSION NAME
DS2000-03_00_00_00 - 00.03.00
DS2000-03_00_01_03 - 00.03.00.SP1
DS2000-03_01_00_04 - 00.03.01
DS2000-03_03_01_00 - 00.03.03.SP1
DS2000-03_03_02_06 - 00.03.03.SP2
DS2000-03_04_01_00 - 00.03.04.SP1
DS2000-03_04_02_01 - 00.03.04.SP2
DS2000-03_05_00_01 - 00.03.05
DS2000-03_05_03_03 - 00.03.05.SP3
DS2000-03_05_04_00 - 00.03.05.SP4
DS2000-03_06_00_00 - 00.03.06

At the bottom of this post i will post the release notes for each version (if you're interested).
And i have attached instructions on how to factory default the scope (should you need it to downgrade)

HERE WE GO...

UPGRADE   1 - FROM 00.02.01       TO 00.03.00       - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   2 - FROM 00.03.00       TO 00.03.00.SP1 - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   3 - FROM 00.03.00.SP1TO 00.03.01        - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   4 - FROM 00.03.01       TO 00.03.03.SP1 - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   5 - FROM 00.03.03.SP1 TO 00.03.03.SP2 - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   6 - FROM 00.03.03.SP2 TO 00.03.04.SP1 - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   7 - FROM 00.03.04.SP1 TO 00.03.04.SP2 - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   8 - FROM 00.03.04.SP2 TO 00.03.05       - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE   9 - FROM 00.03.05       TO 00.03.05.SP3 - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE 10 - FROM 00.03.05.SP3 TO 00.03.05.SP4 - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED
UPGRADE 11 - FROM 00.03.05.SP4 TO 00.03.06       - SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED, ALL OPTIONS INTACT AND PRESERVED

I have attached
- A Photo of the options After the first upgrade to version 00.03.00 to show they have been preserved
- A Photo of the upgrade screen at version 00.03.00

I have not bothered to upload each and every version picture , However

- A Photo of the last Upgrade , The Options list has been preserved at Version 00.03.06
- A Photo of the upgrade screen at Version 00.03.06

IN SUMMARY - So long as the scope is unlocked , it appears that you can upgrade through all the upgrade versions without losing the installed Options.
I didn't have any problems other than 1.

Initially i used a USB Stick that was 16GB and formatted FAT32,  this didn't detect.
I then changed to a USB Stick that was 8GB and formatted FAT32 and this worked without a problem

So Guys, Feel free to upgrade to the latest version

Lastly, of course i did a restart
and i did a system calibration

========================================================
                                    HERE ARE THE RELEASE NOTES
========================================================

[Supported Model]    All the MSO/DS2000A Series Digital Oscilloscopes
[Latest Revision Date]  2019/01/29

[Updated Contents]
--------------------

v00.03.06.00.00  2019/01/29
     - Fixed the bug of wave displaying after AUTO

[History]
-------------
v00.03.05.04.00  2018/04/02
     - Inproved the wave updating

v00.03.05.03.03  2017/06/26
     - Add new models of DS2102E and DS2202E
     - Fixed the error of some Traditional Chinese menu
     - Fixed the bug of EDU version
     - Fixed the bug of wave stop updating

v00.03.05.00.01  2016/07/20
     - Modified the naming rule for saving screen snap
     - Fixed the bug of the wave stop updating
     - Fixed the bug of Math expression

v00.03.04.02.01  2015/12/14
     - Fixed the sensitivity in EXT trigger mode

v00.03.04.01.00  2015/10/10
     - Supporting the EDU models for education market
     - Standard with 28/56M memory depth and advance triggers options in EDU
       models
     - Opening the interface for replacing the Logo by AE in EDU models

- Fixed the scope freeze when changing the timebase in high-resolution mode

v00.03.03.02.06  2015/06/17
     - Added the persistence of XY wave
     - Added the French language menu
     - Supporting the license file installed by U DISK
     - Supporting the installation of bandle option
     - Optimized the SCPI command system
     - Supporting the remote access to decoded data

- Fixed the bugs of waveform reading
     - Fixed image storage
     - Improve the stability the LAN interface communication

v00.03.03.01.00  2014/12/25
     - Only Setups data can be saved without UDISK inserted
     - Update the library of PictBridge
     - Update the library of LXI

- Modified some SCPI commands
     - Fixed the bugs of picture data saving in the SINGLE trigger mode

v00.03.02.00.00  2014/09/03
     - Fixed the invalid measurement when the trigger status is Wait

v00.03.01.00.04  2014/08/22
     - The Ultra Station can't download the wave table data
     - Fixed the crash issue of using "AUTO" function in decode mode

v00.03.01.00.03  2014/04/15
     - Added phase and delay measure of different edge
     - Added the setting of power status
     - Upgrade LXI driver

- Optimized the storage menu operation

v00.02.01.00.03  2013/11/04
     - Added the AUTO disable command
     - Added multi-language (German/Korean/Poland/Janpa etc.)

- Fixed offset error when the amplitude of source is over 1.6v
     - Fixed the bugs in trigger when it is Pass/Fail mode
     - Fixed the bugs in waveform reading
     - Optimized the AUTO trigger mode in every horizontal scale
     - Fixed bugs in FFT operation

v00.01.01.00.02  2013/06/06
     - Added file name when printing screen
     - Optimized source setting for DS2000-S series

- Fixed trigger delay in 500uV/div
     - Fixed trial license lost when do self-calibration

v00.01.00.00.03  2013/04/01
     - Added SCPI command for decoding data