Author Topic: Unlocking/Hacking The Rigol DS2000A Series Scope - THE SHORT POST  (Read 117925 times)

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
Re: Unlocking/Hacking The Rigol DS2000A Series Scope - THE SHORT POST
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2016, 07:42:33 am »
Good job here. Just see this forum has some good hacking. Worth to try new things.
Always on a trip....

Offline zor01

« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2016, 04:26:37 pm »
Hello.
I would like to thank everyone involved in the unlocking procedure who contributed here. So, I will also give my contribution and tell my story.

A few days ago while updating the DS2072A firmware for the first time, there was a power failure and when I turned the oscope on again, it simply did not boot. Either the old firmware was corrupted of there was no firmware at all anymore. So I began to panic because tough the device was purchased in the US, it was taken to my Country and there is no RIGOL dealer around here. In the probable worst scenario, I would have to send it back to US for a reprogramming. I tried to boot with a firmware installed firmware, but it did not work.
But then, things started to get brighter for me.
Frustraded by not finding any documentation on the RIGOL side about this, and also by finding very, very few information in the internet, after days of searching, I found a post by some guy somewhere I do not remember now, in which he mentions about a procedure involving pressing the 'help' button twice for a reset. Guess what, I did it and when I inserted the pendrive, it began go flash channel 1 for about 5 to 10 minutes. And after that, I removed the pendrive, restarted the oscope and voilá... Back to life again with a new firmware!

So, I got excited in trying something I had avoided for all this time for a complete lack of time and little interest... Unlocking the hidden features to hack the oscilloscope.
In about 3 days, I could read all information about this, coming from this forum and also from SONSIVRI.
The procedures in reality were not rocket science but they were not easy either.
In fact the procedure desccribed in the sonsivri site regarding the command prompt got me stuck when I followed step 7, going back to 'rigup' to send/receive  the license and codes info I got from the command prompt.
As I had read tons of documents and visited several sites reading the posts by many people, I decided to post the procedure that worked for me and it's shorter and simpler than the one posted in the sonsivri site. Only a few steps need to be followed instead of the several listed there.

1 - Get the german app 'RigolBildschirmkopie' (sorry I have no link at hand right now, but do a google search and it will be easily found).

2 - Connect your oscope in the LAN or better, connect it to your computer via USB. (I spend like forever, trying to make the oscope visible in windows net only to find after more than 10 hours that this is actually not needed. The rigup app only needs the IP address to 'sense' your oscope. But I think using the USB procedure is more practical).

3 - Go to SCPI dump option and make the memory dump by copying the command which is featured in the app list. It will take about 1 to 2 minutes to dump the 32MB of information. Some member in a forum reported this would take 5 to 10 minutes. This is incorrect.

4 - Once you have the data, save it with whatever name you like, but make sure that you save in the same folder where the 'RIGUP ' version 0.4 is intalled.

5 - Then comes the only tricky part. DO NOT START THE RIGUP APP. It will call a command prompt and will be gone in 2 seconds. You need to call the windows command prompt and GUIDE THE COMMAND PROMPT TO EXACTLY WHERE YOUR RIGUP APP IS INSTALLED. So for instance <C:\Users\JohnDoe\Downloads\rigup-0.4\rigup-0.4> in this case, this is featured twice because the app when unzipped builds two folders.
Right after this you insert the command "rigup 2072A <your saved file.scpi>. In my case, the command was 'rigup 2072A memoryDump.scpi'.
Then a lot of data is displayed and all the codes appear with its corresponding licence keys.

6 - Now simply get the code you want and write down the licence key to later insert in the oscope editor. In my case it was NS8H which corresponds to a full upgrade with all features turning it in a 300MHz machine. Copy the four groups of 7 digits.
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO GET THE IMPLEMENTATION. NO NEED TO FOLLOW ANY OTHER 7 TO 8 STEPS LISTED IN THE SONSIVRI FORUM.
Start you oscope, go to system>system info>editor and insert the licence key you copied. When you are done, hit 'apply' and in less than 2 seconds a message informing it was intalled shows up in the screen. And finally go to 'intalled' option. All features show up there.
And when you return to system info, there is no DS2072A no more. NOW DS2302 IS FEATURED AS THE CURRENT MODEL.

Hope this helps a lot of people.
In case you need more details, go to the orignal sonsivri post and stop in step 7. You do not need any other steps.
Regards.

The following users thanked this post: Daruosha, thememo

Offline zor01

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2016, 04:28:12 pm »
ooops... forgot to include the sonsivri forum link:

http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=60018.0

Offline whotopia

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2016, 11:59:18 am »
Cross posting from the old big thread.....

Can someone help me out to restore the serial number of a DS2072A ?
I tried to do some of the hacks in the distant past and this lead me to a unit with serial number DS2A0000000001.
The MAC address on the LAN interface is also screwed up.  It's 46:46:46:46:46:46.  I assume this must be uniquely generated from the serial number somehow.
The device is currently at firmware DS2000(DSP)Update_00.03.04.01.00

I think if I could get hold of a memory dump from someone with a working unit (and what their serial number is) I could write back correct values into the scope with my own number.   Hopefully the other keys in my system's memory are not screwed up.   Thanks!

Offline Slappy_g

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2016, 02:05:30 pm »
Keep in mind guys that even if the process is a royal pain to do, the memory dump via JTAG cannot be blocked by the firmware.

Therefore, you can *always* do the upgrade, but you'll have to open your scope and use a JTAG interface to your PC.  I posted an instruction guide a while back for how I unlocked my MSO2072 to a MSO2302 with all options.  Honestly, the hardest part is carefully unsticking the warranty sticker without damaging it.
Unlocked the Rigol MSO2072A to a MSO2302A via JTAG.  Read about how here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Offline Power Designer

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2016, 05:46:57 am »
Hi guys,
About 18 months ago I followed (the long version) of this post and ultimately hacked my DS2202A Rigol scope successfully. This hack has worked for me very impressively, however of late (no doubt due to parameter changes I have made on the scope) the scope has now encountered a known bug (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1054z-freeze-up-bug/25/) that causes the user interface to routinely lock up. I thought it high time to upgrade the firmware on my scope, which presently sits at 00.03.00.SP1. My question is, will I be able to upgrade my firmware successfully, without disrupting my presently unblocked features, or will I have to run through the whole process once again? And if I can safely upgrade the firmware, where do I get a copy of it from (aside from contacting Rigol, which I seem to remember before was a bit troublesome and not as simple as downloading a copy of the latest firmware from their website)?

Again, many thanks for your work here guys. Very impressed.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2016, 08:32:29 am »
Hi guys,
About 18 months ago I followed (the long version) of this post and ultimately hacked my DS2202A Rigol scope successfully. This hack has worked for me very impressively, however of late (no doubt due to parameter changes I have made on the scope) the scope has now encountered a known bug (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1054z-freeze-up-bug/25/) that causes the user interface to routinely lock up. I thought it high time to upgrade the firmware on my scope, which presently sits at 00.03.00.SP1. My question is, will I be able to upgrade my firmware successfully, without disrupting my presently unblocked features, or will I have to run through the whole process once again? And if I can safely upgrade the firmware, where do I get a copy of it from (aside from contacting Rigol, which I seem to remember before was a bit troublesome and not as simple as downloading a copy of the latest firmware from their website)?

Again, many thanks for your work here guys. Very impressed.
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/ct/1579/p-001a/Bct/-/-/ct1_0/1?sid=TV2%3AMThO8uNxL

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2016, 10:40:55 pm »
Yes, the unlocked options will remain through a firmware upgrade. You will not need to go through the unlock process again.

The following users thanked this post: Power Designer

Offline Power Designer

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2016, 12:19:42 am »
Yes, the unlocked options will remain through a firmware upgrade. You will not need to go through the unlock process again.

To confirm, I ran an upgrade (from 3.00 to 3.05) and it ran perfectly. As you mentioned, I did not need to repeat the process of hacking my 'scope, all additional features remained unlocked as they were prior to the upgrade. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

The following users thanked this post: sorin

Offline fab13

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »
Good morning , did you ever get a solution I also have a 2102A and so far I was not cable to upgrade , did you found a solution for your scope ?

my firmware version is :" 00.03.04.SP2 "

thx for any info

Fab

Offline horga83

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2016, 07:19:13 pm »
I want to buy a DS20172A and upgrade it.  This video: https://youtu.be/_TSr9nFN1GU?t=154 claims that the bandwidth is not software upgradeable.  Is a new November 2016 DS2072A upgradable and unlockable still?

Thanks

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:09 pm »
I want to buy a DS20172A and upgrade it.  This video: https://youtu.be/_TSr9nFN1GU?t=154 claims that the bandwidth is not software upgradeable.  Is a new November 2016 DS2072A upgradable and unlockable still?

Thanks

He meant "officially". Read a few posts above and you will find the idiot proof instructions.

Hello.
I would like to thank everyone involved in the unlocking procedure who contributed here. So, I will also give my contribution and tell my story.

A few days ago while updating the DS2072A firmware for the first time, there was a power failure and when I turned the oscope on again, it simply did not boot. Either the old firmware was corrupted of there was no firmware at all anymore. So I began to panic because tough the device was purchased in the US, it was taken to my Country and there is no RIGOL dealer around here. In the probable worst scenario, I would have to send it back to US for a reprogramming. I tried to boot with a firmware installed firmware, but it did not work.
But then, things started to get brighter for me.
Frustraded by not finding any documentation on the RIGOL side about this, and also by finding very, very few information in the internet, after days of searching, I found a post by some guy somewhere I do not remember now, in which he mentions about a procedure involving pressing the 'help' button twice for a reset. Guess what, I did it and when I inserted the pendrive, it began go flash channel 1 for about 5 to 10 minutes. And after that, I removed the pendrive, restarted the oscope and voilá... Back to life again with a new firmware!

So, I got excited in trying something I had avoided for all this time for a complete lack of time and little interest... Unlocking the hidden features to hack the oscilloscope.
In about 3 days, I could read all information about this, coming from this forum and also from SONSIVRI.
The procedures in reality were not rocket science but they were not easy either.
In fact the procedure desccribed in the sonsivri site regarding the command prompt got me stuck when I followed step 7, going back to 'rigup' to send/receive  the license and codes info I got from the command prompt.
As I had read tons of documents and visited several sites reading the posts by many people, I decided to post the procedure that worked for me and it's shorter and simpler than the one posted in the sonsivri site. Only a few steps need to be followed instead of the several listed there.

1 - Get the german app 'RigolBildschirmkopie' (sorry I have no link at hand right now, but do a google search and it will be easily found).

2 - Connect your oscope in the LAN or better, connect it to your computer via USB. (I spend like forever, trying to make the oscope visible in windows net only to find after more than 10 hours that this is actually not needed. The rigup app only needs the IP address to 'sense' your oscope. But I think using the USB procedure is more practical).

3 - Go to SCPI dump option and make the memory dump by copying the command which is featured in the app list. It will take about 1 to 2 minutes to dump the 32MB of information. Some member in a forum reported this would take 5 to 10 minutes. This is incorrect.

4 - Once you have the data, save it with whatever name you like, but make sure that you save in the same folder where the 'RIGUP ' version 0.4 is intalled.

5 - Then comes the only tricky part. DO NOT START THE RIGUP APP. It will call a command prompt and will be gone in 2 seconds. You need to call the windows command prompt and GUIDE THE COMMAND PROMPT TO EXACTLY WHERE YOUR RIGUP APP IS INSTALLED. So for instance <C:\Users\JohnDoe\Downloads\rigup-0.4\rigup-0.4> in this case, this is featured twice because the app when unzipped builds two folders.
Right after this you insert the command "rigup 2072A <your saved file.scpi>. In my case, the command was 'rigup 2072A memoryDump.scpi'.
Then a lot of data is displayed and all the codes appear with its corresponding licence keys.

6 - Now simply get the code you want and write down the licence key to later insert in the oscope editor. In my case it was NS8H which corresponds to a full upgrade with all features turning it in a 300MHz machine. Copy the four groups of 7 digits.
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO GET THE IMPLEMENTATION. NO NEED TO FOLLOW ANY OTHER 7 TO 8 STEPS LISTED IN THE SONSIVRI FORUM.
Start you oscope, go to system>system info>editor and insert the licence key you copied. When you are done, hit 'apply' and in less than 2 seconds a message informing it was intalled shows up in the screen. And finally go to 'intalled' option. All features show up there.
And when you return to system info, there is no DS2072A no more. NOW DS2302 IS FEATURED AS THE CURRENT MODEL.

Hope this helps a lot of people.
In case you need more details, go to the orignal sonsivri post and stop in step 7. You do not need any other steps.
Regards.

Offline horga83

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »
This worked great thanks.  Rigup under Linux is run as ./rigup ds2072a <file> NOT rigup 2072a <file>
I did not require Windows or Mac for anything, all worked great under Linux.

Offline nabardwell

« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2016, 08:53:40 am »
This is sort of random but I had not seen any postings on it the DS 2072 non A as far as Ive seen can only be upgraded to DS 2202.  I tested if i could do all options enabled with key gen DSHH from http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/.  This unlocked to fully optioned DS2302. Got this scope on ebay for $450 so woo hoo $2500 scope for $450. 

Offline radiotech9409

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2017, 07:59:09 am »
I received the DS2072A today.  It came with sw 03.05 and hw 2.3.  I have not tried the jtag option.  However, rigolbildschirmkopie's dump does not contain the keys.  Rigup won't be able to extract the keys, since the dump does not contain the keys.  Any help is appreciated.

I finally got the following keys:  RC5KEY1, RC5KEY2, XXTEAKEY, PUBKEY AND PRIVKEY.  Rigolbildschirmkopie provides good memory dump.  The problem is with rigup 0.4.2.  It does not provide the keys.  I used rigup o.1 and it provides the mentioned keys.  You just need to run rigup license yourkeys.txt NSxx.  replacing yourkeys.txt with the name of the file that has all the keys in it.  also replace xx in NSxx with the options that you want.

All well.  Finally, my DS2072A, sw 03.05, hw 2.3, was unlocked.  Now i can have my B&K precisions 2160 (analog, only 60 mHz, 2 channels) to retire after 25+ years.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:23:31 pm by radiotech9409 »

Offline Kritter

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2017, 09:18:39 pm »
Just did my scope today, after a year in the box from new due it too many countries move I finally have time to play and upgrade my DS2072A 03.04.SP1. The process is strait forward. Now I will enjoy my 300Mhz with all possible tools.

Thanks for all involved in this forum and for the amazing tools developed.

:clap:
Mr. K.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »
 :-BROKE

I tried to apply the latest firmware to my MSO2072A (MSO2302A) today - I inserted the USB drive with the .gel file and it was recognized with an offer to upgrade - I pressed the [OK] button but the progress bar got about 10% of the way across and then stopped so, after about 30 minutes, I gave up and removed the USB drive and cycled power.  Now it seems to be bricked, I get the RIGOL / Ultravision splash screen displayed continuously and that's it.  I've tried the 5th button down on the left pressed repeatedly and double-press of the help button, with and without a new USB drive with the gel file on it.  Any ideas?

[EDIT] I recovered it, here's the steps to follow...
1. With the USB drive removed... press the [Help] button several times immediately as you switch on and before the Rigol screen appears - if the Rigol screen appears you failed to get into 'Update' mode and need to repeat this step. 
2. If you're successful in getting into 'Update' mode, you will have a black screen and the top right [Single] button will be illuminated.
3. Now insert the USB drive with the new .gel file on it and watch the [Ch1] button, it should flash and, if your USB drive has an activity LED, it should start flashing too.
4. After about 10 minutes, the [Run-Stop] Button will light up in addition to the [Single] button but there are no messages on screen
5. Now turn power off, remove USB, and power on - scope should boot up normally - I saw the new version was 00.03.05, previously it was 00.03.00.SP1

I think my original issue was that I originally used a flakey USB drive.  I also performed a self-cal.  The instructions I followed are the second link on this page... http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-001a/t/page/fm/0

I can also confirm that the upgrade licenses have all been preserved through all of the above.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:11:42 am by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline BC109C

Had my DS2072A for just over a year and about to unlock.
I am on FW 00.03.03.SP1 and Hardware 2.0

I have captured the memory dump and rigup has generated my unlock code.
Looking at Zor01's post

The scope editor is missing from the System, System Info, editor screen.

I'm sure this screen is the same editor, now found under Utility, (scroll down
to options) then setup:
(For some reason couldnt attach the file so posted on imgmur)

I'll just wait for someone to confirm before I enter codes.
Thanks to everyone involved with this thread.

Edit:
OK, Thought if the code was wrong it would reject it, so entered
the unlock code, result another successful unlock on Linux Mint.
Thank you all ! :-+
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:10:29 pm by BC109C »

Offline Marinel

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2017, 08:20:36 am »
I just flash a new firmware 00.03.05.00.01 to my DS2072A, the old one was 00.03.03.sp1, hack remained active, everything is fine. :-+
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:40:28 am by Marinel »

Offline peo007

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2017, 10:32:45 am »
I upgraded my DS2072A to DS2202A :D
S. W. 03.04.SP2
H. W. 2.3

Read the instructions carefully, and read again
Memory dump (bildschirmkopie) + rigup 0.4 and I get the key, I chose the 200MHz option

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2017, 03:14:34 pm »
Unlocked MSO2072A
memory dump via network, no problem just on rigol go to system/IO, setup network or read IP if you have DHCP,
then use bildschirmkopie with this IP.
rigup 0.4 refused to take MSO2072A as a parameter, but was satisfied with DS2072A :)

Big thanks to community for another happy Rigol owner.

Offline stuboy

Rigol DS2000 Series Scope UPGRADE PROCEDURE in 6 easy steps :-)
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2017, 11:38:40 pm »
Just bought a second hand DS2072 hardware 1.0 firmware well out of date!

1) Updated to latest firmware:- http://int.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3 
Load the .GEL file onto a fat 32 usb key and insert into front of machine when its running, it will then ask you if you want to update, say yes and it takes a few minutes then it reboots, remove key and check its worked in the system menu.

2) Went onto:- http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/ entered serial and went for the full monty "DSHH" wrote the key down CAREFULLY!

3) Went to Utility, Options, Setup pressed "Editor On"

4) On the pop up keyboard i entered the key AND THEN TRIPLE CHECKED IT!

5) Press Apply

6) Crack open a can of beer and celebrate your success :-)

Cheers
Stu

Offline Genie

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2017, 10:41:03 am »
Hum Interesting....

I have purchased a DS2072A went through the rig 0.4 used the RigolBildschirmkopie send command through lan, I was able to bring the scope all feature at 200MHZ.
 But the 300MHZ says the license is not available... |O

Anyone got this and found a turnaround?
Soft version 03.05.SP1 Hardware version 2.3

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2017, 02:24:35 pm »
Are you saying you installed the 200MHz option then tried to install the 300HMz option afterwords? Try removing all options (:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall) then reinstall with the correct 300MHz plus all keys option (DSHH I think, check earlier in this thread to know for sure).  And to be clear, you don't need to install separate options for bandwidth and keys, there is a single option key that you install and it enables everything at once.

Edit: For anyone else that finds this, at this point I'm pretty sure the code I struck through above is not the correct one for the DS2000A scopes. Pretty sure it should be the NS8H for all options plus 300MHz. You can also find this code mentioned on one of the first replies on this page (pg 5?) above.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:21:22 am by CustomEngineerer »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2018, 12:04:08 pm »
Was able to successfully update to 03.05.SP3 with all installed licenses preserved. Ran self Cal and all is good :D
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf