Author Topic: Keysight EL30000 DC load buyers warning / mini review  (Read 8078 times)

Offline niner_007Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Keysight EL30000 DC load buyers warning / mini review
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2021, 08:15:47 pm »
Sorry for the delay, took a few days off and am catching up!

@niner_007 the R&D team would love to chat if you're willing, I'll send you a PM.

The SCPI lockup issue is something we haven't seen before, we've been doing nonstop / no delay commands without issues, so the team would like to take a look / chat and see if there's a bug, but we suspect it's just your load and we want to get it replaced.

Regarding battery testing, from R&D:
"
The EL30000 Series does not currently have a dedicated battery test feature, but we are considering adding it through a future firmware release.  Meanwhile, you will need to use a PC to control the load and stop the discharge before the battery reaches its cutoff voltage.
"

Obviously we'll need to get the comms issue worked out for your unit.

From Bill Griffith, one of our power folks:
"- The current definition for undervoltage better is for testing power supplies. The latch mode assumes the input voltage starts low, and rises toward the undervoltage limit at which point the load turns on and stays on regardless of voltage. E.g. once live stay alive.

- I wrote a simple program to test batteries with an undervoltage cutoff: https://blogs.keysight.com/blogs/tech/bench.entry.html/2021/05/03/battery_and_celltes-HXQ1.html

- Loads potentially have two sets of ranges, one for the load and one for the measurement system. You do not want to auto-range the load as it would affect the source. It might be beneficial in some cases to auto-range the measurement system. However, it is much simpler just to tie the load and measurement system together. I personally, prefer the ease-of-use of a single setting for high, medium, and low range.

- For lower power BNC connections – I cut off a dual banana plug. You used two of them in this video: https://youtu.be/FM7dWAC6wok?t=22 I personally like the front connectors – we used them to test the 20 A output of the power supply

(Attachment Link)
"
Feel free to PM. I returned the unit I purchased for a refund, I don’t have access to one. If you provide a demo unit, I’d be happy to retest and report the findings here, in case it was only my unit, there might be weird interaction with network equipment, I don’t know.

Regarding battery discharge, I am not comfortable driving it via PC, too many things can go wrong in such a setup, unless you have a mode in the load where you check “keep alive” messages from the PC,  and in their absence you disconnect the load. 

For auto-ranging, it doesn’t need to work while the load is connected, you can restrict it only when the load is disconnected. This is a usability issue as implemented today. Can record a video and illustrate it if I had access to a load.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:18:19 pm by niner_007 »

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 01:34:48 pm »
I was just bitten by this bug. Here I thought this $4,000 DC load would be better than the BK Precision and it just ignores the under voltage setting.

My understanding was this could be used to stop when discharging batteries etc.

Also no Wh reading on the display. @Daniel - I would be happy to test any updated firmware if you can provide it. My email is michael@inertialbox.com.

I purchased this through a local agent for Farnell UK as I live in Colombo, Sri Lanka so yeah I’m pretty screwed.

The following users thanked this post: niner_007

Offline H_Zhang

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 02:45:10 pm »
I bought E36232 and EL34143 at the same time, the experience is very bad! They both have serious anti-human logic in their basic operations. The device has knobs but noway to adjust voltage or current by bit. Only 0.001V per turn of the knob, which makes the knob useless! And even when benchvue is used, EL36232 is often disconnected, and USB has to be replugged to reconnect the instrument. Very, very bad experience. :( :( :( :( :( :(

The following users thanked this post: bsodmike, paulbt

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 04:09:37 pm »

The following users thanked this post: bsodmike

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 06:38:46 pm »
I bought E36232 and EL34143 at the same time, the experience is very bad! They both have serious anti-human logic in their basic operations. The device has knobs but noway to adjust voltage or current by bit. Only 0.001V per turn of the knob, which makes the knob useless! And even when benchvue is used, EL36232 is often disconnected, and USB has to be replugged to reconnect the instrument. Very, very bad experience. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Yes, I ran into this same issue.  The knob is practically hopeless.  I've also got a R&S NGP814 - that UI is amazing in comparison.

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 06:41:55 pm »
I've tweeted to Keysight about this https://twitter.com/DanielBogdanoff/status/1458148062241587203?s=20 but based on their approach of sending me to blog post, and the fact that they've also seen this thread, it looks like there isn't going to be a fix for us current owners.

Sadly, I'm pulling my hair out for wasting $4,000/- and having missed this thread before shelling out  |O |O |O |O

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2021, 07:31:23 am »
I'm in touch with the product teams and will give them this feedback, hoping we can work on some things here.

I put it on Twitter as well, but there is a workable option using Excel that one of our power folks put together:
https://blogs.keysight.com/blogs/tech/bench.entry.html/2021/05/03/battery_and_celltes-HXQ1.html

Personally, I'd also like to see it integrated in to the load itself.

The following users thanked this post: bsodmike

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 07:32:50 am »
Thanks Daniel. I look forward to hearing from your engineering team. Happy to assist where possible.

Cheers M

Offline ImSparticus

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2022, 10:01:13 am »
Hi Guys, although I have read many an article here its my first post.

I was interested in the EL34143A DC load responses as I was looking to purchase. Just arranging a demo and dont want to waste time if the units have any issues being controlled by software etc.
BK Precision being my other choice simply on accuracy spec (at the time).

Does anyone know if any of the issues were resolved by Keysight, firmware updates etc as I can see resolutions may only have started in November/December ?

Many Thanks 

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2022, 10:19:47 am »
I got an email where they expect to have new firmware ready by middle of this year. That’s all I’m aware of at the moment.

Thanks M

The following users thanked this post: ImSparticus

Offline ImSparticus

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2022, 10:53:03 am »
Many Thanks for the quick reply. I may still get one on loan but will discuss with the sales engineer regards known issues.

I have just been looking at the BK 8601 and downloaded the software to take a peek.

Thanks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2022, 05:49:44 am »
Any update from anyone regarding this DC load? Has the issues been fixed?

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2022, 06:12:33 am »
I was sent this firmware by Keysight a while back, and unfortunately have not had any time to test it.  You can grab it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IkAMjMfkPTkOfbA56MVlp3Nq419CQ1iz/view?usp=sharing

I've also verified the MD5 checksum provided by Keysight
Code: [Select]
[11:36] M1MaxMacBookPro.local:keysight_EL3000_beta_khew_13MAY2022 | md5 Jati750B_9.2.7_1.0.6_17_114_dfd9d5d1396b24671c2adaa64d85875e.dfu
MD5 (Jati750B_9.2.7_1.0.6_17_114_dfd9d5d1396b24671c2adaa64d85875e.dfu) = dfd9d5d1396b24671c2adaa64d85875e

Instructions sent from Keysight:
Please find the beta file and checksum attached.

The instruction can be found from the firmware page.

https://www.keysight.com/us/en/lib/software-detail/computer-software/el30000-series-bench-electronic-loads-firmware.html

Download and install the firmware utility
Connect the instrument to the PC
Load the firmware file with the utility tool and perform the firmware upgrade

Note: Please note that I am simply passing on this firmware received and anyone attempting to flash their device is doing so at their own risk.

Offline dkonigs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2023, 06:46:41 am »
As I just got one of these electronic loads myself, I'm curious what the current state of the firmware is...

My unit shipped with the following version:
1.2.5-1.0.6-17-114
The website shows this as the latest version, with a release date of 2022-01-04.

(the previous release is 1.2.3-1.0.6-17-114, listed with a release date of 2021-03-16)

The beta image file shared by the previous post shows a first number that is so far ahead of what I see officially, that I can't help but assume its special numbering for beta releases. So I'm not sure if its actually older or newer than what I have.

So in any case, I guess I'm just wondering whether a new release is around the corner, and what the current state of things is past what's been discussed so far.

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2023, 07:00:48 am »
I've just pinged the Keysight team on your behalf.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to test the beta, although I've used the electronic load in a basic manner.

Offline mburger82

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2023, 08:24:14 am »
Anyone already tested the beta firmware?
I mean i would have no hesitation if there are some bugs and i can downgrade to a official firmware again.
But if the beta firmware would be broken completely, this would be kind of bad...

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2023, 10:53:50 pm »
(I don't have a EL30000 - cross-shopped a couple of years ago but was turned off by the lack of Wh or Ah counting and lack of battery test features in general).

There is a new firmware on the Keysight website: 1.2.9-1.0.6-17-114
https://www.keysight.com/us/en/lib/software-detail/computer-software/el30000-series-bench-electronic-loads-firmware.pv.html

Release notes say: "Added new battery test features."

There is no new Instruction Manual that may describe these. Anyone with an EL30000 that would know what these are?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 08:52:08 pm by LaurentR »

Offline dkonigs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2023, 06:30:03 pm »

I just went ahead and installed the firmware update on my EL34143A.  The "Mode" menu now has a new option called "Battery Test."  I've attached a screenshot of what's displayed when you select it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 06:31:45 pm by dkonigs »

The following users thanked this post: niner_007, J-R

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2023, 08:53:18 pm »

I just went ahead and installed the firmware update on my EL34143A.  The "Mode" menu now has a new option called "Battery Test."  I've attached a screenshot of what's displayed when you select it.

Thank you!

Too bad it's a completely separate mode, but at least it should do the job for batteries now.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2024, 10:16:03 pm »
any ideas how that works with models that have 2 inputs? can it work in parallel mode?

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2024, 10:27:27 pm »
any ideas how that works with models that have 2 inputs? can it work in parallel mode?

The battery testing function is described in the new manual, but it's not clear how or even if you can have 2 battery tests in parallel.

https://www.keysight.com/us/en/assets/9921-01404/user-manuals/EL34243-90000-User-Guide.pdf

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2024, 04:26:12 am »
Interesting that this thread has gotten some activity suddenly.

I've been looking for a good deal on the EL34243A dual channel model for the last year or so but had no luck.  The added battery test feature mentioned here increased my interest recently.  A few weeks back I noticed some EL34143A mid-level single channel units on the Keysight used site for right at $1k and I couldn't resist picking one up.  The extra 5% off and easy purchase process sealed the deal.  Shortly after I bought mine, another one showed up and I see it's now sold as well.

The battery test feature is something I'm really looking forward to, but also the additional features and accuracy compared to my Kunkin KL283 will be welcome.  I had experimented with a battery capacity test setup a while back but due to my lack of time and skill never got it going.

I can see the point of Keysight wanting you to run this via their software, but I also see the point of wanting to just be able to walk up and hit a few buttons to run the battery test for example.  I have a dedicated machine with the Keysight software and have not had any issues with it.  Keysight is also offering PathWave BenchVue Basic for free now, which I admit I haven't tried out yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf