Author Topic: Upgrading DSLogic Basic to Plus without EEPROM modification  (Read 15579 times)

Offline webhdx

• Contributor
Re: Upgrading DSLogic Basic to Plus without EEPROM modification
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2021, 08:58:00 am »
The firmware file is in HEX format and the file itself is 44kB: https://github.com/podonoghue/LogicAnalyser/blob/master/Software/fx2lafw_eeprom_loader/bin/DsLogicPro Most of the contents are 0xFF's so it will probably just write first 16kB of the file. This is what worked for me.

I think you are right and it's just a firmware for USB stuff, not actual bitstream for FPGA. Yes I've heard about the drama between sigrok and DsView. The UI in DsView is terrible on Mac, there are lots of issues - I can't really zoom with mouse scroll etc. PulseView is what it is but at least I can comfortably use it on macOS.

Offline robca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2021, 01:18:07 am »
Great. I can confirm that this file  https://github.com/podonoghue/LogicAnalyser/blob/master/Software/fx2lafw_eeprom_loader/bin/DsLogicPro is, indeed, identical to the DsLogic Plus Cypress firmware, so it can be used to convert a U2Basic to Plus. And th eone you found is easier to find than all other semi-hidden files

What confused me in your reply, is that actually in the DsView distribution there is a file called DsLogicPro.bin (334K) and a DsLogicPro.fw (8k). The bin file is the hdl that DsView uploads upon initialization (and so does PulseView when manually adding those files), and the fw file seems to be a Cypress firmware, but very different from the one used on the Plus. There is an utility hex2bin that can easily convert between hex and bin formats and makes it easy to compare the different formats.

If anyone does a search for DsLogicPro.bin, they will find the wrong file, and that was the source of my confusion. I would suggest that you edit your great summary, and add the github URL of the actual file you used, to help future readers.

Offline Prehistoricman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2021, 11:47:58 pm »
Thanks to everyone in this topic who worked this stuff out.
I just bought a U2Basic and completed the upgrade to Plus. I used hot air, a microscope, and scalpel to lift that FPGA pin. Still not a difficult mod IMO. Here's a pic of the board after lifting the pin and adding a wire.

I dumped the memory from the EEPROM and found it to be different to what sigrok says on their wiki: https://sigrok.org/wiki/DreamSourceLab_DSLogic_U2Basic
Mine has 7000 bytes instead of 6977.
I didn't use the USB utility to reflash the EEPROM, though I now realise that would have been the easier option. I used an Arduino-based programmer and one of those SOIC clips which had a surprisingly dicky connection.

Also I noticed that, after changing the EEPROM, I couldn't capture any waveform in DSView until I added that missing address wire.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline elBundinio

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2021, 02:19:39 am »
Hi,

I just dismantled my DSLab Basic that I bought a long time ago and discovered that it doesn't have any ram at all. Might this explain why I've had such difficulty getting it to work or were some of these things actually supposed to ship with no ram?

Anyway, I've ordered a MT48LC8M16A2P-6A from rs-components so I'll solder that on when it turns up and see how I get on from there.

Offline robca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2021, 02:41:52 pm »
Hi,

I just dismantled my DSLab Basic that I bought a long time ago and discovered that it doesn't have any ram at all. Might this explain why I've had such difficulty getting it to work or were some of these things actually supposed to ship with no ram?

Anyway, I've ordered a MT48LC8M16A2P-6A from rs-components so I'll solder that on when it turns up and see how I get on from there.
You have one of the older Basic, not the U2Basic which is discussed here. In your case, soldering the RAM and changing a few bits in the EEPROM is all you need, no FPGA surgery. Much easier than converting the U2Basic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf