Author Topic: Upgrading DSLogic Basic to Plus without EEPROM modification  (Read 32356 times)

Offline DavidA

• Contributor
Re: Upgrading DSLogic Basic to Plus without EEPROM modification
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 01:25:23 am »
There seems to be an issue with AliExpress supply of MT48LC16M16A2P ICs at the moment - some feedback suggests that only the 133 MHz variant is being supplied even when the -6A 166 MHz part number is requested.

Is this an issue for upgrading the DSLogic Basic? Can it make effective use of the slower 133 MHz part? It looks like obtaining confidence in getting the exact -6A part is going to cost significantly more, if it's required.

Offline hhyytt

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 10:38:55 am »
I got a new DS Logic U2B, update sdram to 256Mbit, but modify the usb vid & pid to plus(u2b is 29, change to 20) in eeprom, but it can not work.
The PCB look like this.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2019, 10:31:21 pm »
I got a new DS Logic U2B, update sdram to 256Mbit, but modify the usb vid & pid to plus(u2b is 29, change to 20) in eeprom, but it can not work.
The PCB look like this.

Same here but have not received SDRAM yet. It came with 64Mbit(?) ram installed, so you removed that one and soldered the new one?
You may want to check some of those solder joints on the top under a microscope if you can.

Not working, as in after you changed the VID/PID in two places it no longer works at all or it still shows as a U2B?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2019, 10:51:51 pm »
I have a DSlogic and didn't use it in the last few years.  This months I tried it with the latest PulseView (Sigrok) which was already installed in Ubuntu, and DSLogic was not recognized.

Does the upgraded DSlogic works with a generic PulseView, too, or is it working only with DSView (which is nothing but a PulseView by DreamSourceLab)?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 12:25:24 am »
I have a DSlogic and didn't use it in the last few years.  This months I tried it with the latest PulseView (Sigrok) which was already installed in Ubuntu, and DSLogic was not recognized.

Does the upgraded DSlogic works with a generic PulseView, too, or is it working only with DSView (which is nothing but a PulseView by DreamSourceLab)?

Did you follow the installation procedure yet? https://sigrok.org/wiki/DreamSourceLab_DSLogic#Firmware

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline hhyytt

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 04:08:30 am »
Yes, 64Mb -> 256Mb
Using U2B origin eeprom firmware, use buffer mode, test new SDRAM(256Mb) is ok.
Modify pid/vid, DSView shows Plus, but push start, only wait, not work.
I use other plus firmware from this post, DSView shows Plus, also not work.

Change DSView from latest 1.0.1 to 0.9.9, work ok. Because DSLogicPlus.bin changed, not work good with U2B version, you can copy older to latest 'res' folder.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:21:36 am by hhyytt »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 05:26:19 pm »
Took another look yesterday.  Turned out my DSlogic already has 256Mbit SDRAM, and it is not a clone, it was made by DreamSourceLab in 2015.  On the box is written DSLogic Pro.

881982-0

881978-1

When it is recognized, it appears as DSLogic Pro, so nothing to upgrade.  VID:PID of the device is 2a0e:0003, with no device description.

I don't recommend to use PulseView, try to use DSView instead.

DSView has way more acquisition modes, triggers and features than PulseView has, also DSView works properly, while PulseView sometimes returns fake signals or works erratically.  The easiest way would be to make a virtual machine with Windows 7 and install DSView in the virtual machine.

To run PulseView instead of DSview, it will need to install the DSlogic firmware files and to create a udev access rule.  Even after installing the firmware files and giving access to the device, PulseView / Sigrok will still have only a fraction of the DSView features and settings.  However, the latest PulseView might have some extra protocol decoders that were not yet ported to DSView.

However, if one insists to use PulseView in Linux:

1. Download PulseView from https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads

2. Make the downloaded AppImage file executable

3. Install the firmware files for DSlogic as described in https://sigrok.org/wiki/DreamSourceLab_DSLogic#Firmware

- download the firmware install script https://sigrok.org/gitweb/?p=sigrok-util.git;a=blob;f=firmware/dreamsourcelab-dslogic/sigrok-fwextract-dreamsourcelab-dslogic

- make the downloaded script executable and run it as root
Code: [Select]
sudo ./sigrok-fwextract-dreamsourcelab-dslogic

- by default the script will download the firmware files from github, then copy them into /usr/local/share/sigrok-firmware and from now on, any version of PulseView will find them when necessary

4. Make a new udev rule to grant access to the USB device, or else PulseView/Sigrok will throw the error "sr: dreamsourcelab-dslogic: Failed to open potential device with VID:PID 2a0e:0003"

- create a file named /etc/udev/rules.d/99-dslogic.rules with the following content
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2a0e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE:="0666"this will grant access to the USB device with ID 2a0e:0003, which is the USB ID for my DSlogic Pro

- re-run all the udev rules, so the newly created rule file 99-dslogic.rules will be taken into account with the command
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
5. Start the PulseView by running the AppImage file, and the DSlogic should now work.
./PulseView-NIGHTLY-x86_64.AppImage
6. After connecting to DSlogic, the LED will turn from orange to green.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 06:03:13 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline DavidA

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2019, 09:49:12 pm »
Has anyone successfully upgraded a DSLogic Basic with SDRAM IC MT48LC16M16A2P-75, -7D or -7E?

Offline hhyytt

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 01:54:32 am »
Has anyone successfully upgraded a DSLogic Basic with SDRAM IC MT48LC16M16A2P-75, -7D or -7E?
best is 6A. I bought  -75 first, after welded, not work.

Offline pgo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 03:50:18 am »
Hi,
The one I used was Element-14 (Farnel)    
MT48LC16M16A2P-6A

https://au.element14.com/micron/mt48lc16m16a2p-6a/sdram-256mbit-167mhz-54tsop/dp/2253737

bye

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2019, 03:51:35 am »
Yes, 64Mb -> 256Mb
Using U2B origin eeprom firmware, use buffer mode, test new SDRAM(256Mb) is ok.
Modify pid/vid, DSView shows Plus, but push start, only wait, not work.
I use other plus firmware from this post, DSView shows Plus, also not work.

Change DSView from latest 1.0.1 to 0.9.9, work ok. Because DSLogicPlus.bin changed, not work good with U2B version, you can copy older to latest 'res' folder.

That works with DSView, thanks. I used the eeprom from fx2lafw_eeprom_loader linked above and its working with pulseview as well.
From what I can see the only difference between U2B and Pro is the memory chip. The board looks the same. But then why would they behave differently and have a quite different EEPROM loaded (see attached)?

Also of note, the cables may be improved over before but the Basic and Pro cables are still very different. You can see here the Plus cables have a heatshrink section, presumably for the shield of the coax:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32905798335.html

The Basic and U2B are just plain wires.
From the specs the adapter board and component values appear to be the same. So I may try in the future replicating their design with some RG178.

Offline BH3XON

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2019, 02:58:33 pm »
The PCB look like this.

Me too. Like the attachment, the PID becomes different. What can I do?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2019, 10:44:39 pm »
Me too. Like the attachment, the PID becomes different. What can I do?

Did you try 0.9.9 dsview as recommended?

You can either modify the eeprom to change the PID to pro. Or you can simply re-flash with the Pro eeprom file that has been uploaded by pgo.

Offline BH3XON

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2019, 12:40:55 am »
so,you mean using the old version of dsview, I try, thanks!

btw, new version has two UIs,i like this

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2019, 01:30:26 am »
so,you mean using the old version of dsview, I try, thanks!

btw, new version has two UIs,i like this

You can either use the old version, or copy the 'res' folder from 0.9.9 to the new version, as hhyytt has discovered above.

Offline BH3XON

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 03:15:36 am »
Great!  I try,thank you reply!

Offline BH3XON

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2019, 06:12:49 am »
I tried the method of hyyytt, covering the res of 1.0.1 with the 0.9.9 version of the res file.

but, opening 1.0.1 is still recognized as the u2b version。

my modification:

1. 64M --》 256M;
2.EEPROM  edit PID;
3.DSVIEW 0.9.9  res  replace--》 1.0.1 res
   File from  https://github.com/miniwave/DSview_v0.99
4.open DSVIEW 1.0.1   Identified as U2B     fail!

Attached is the HEX file after modifying the PID

tell me what is wrong?

Offline Enginerding

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2019, 03:24:23 am »
Can the U2Basic be upgraded to the same specs as the Pro, just like the previous Basic?

I got sent a U2B from Aliexpress w/ out the shielded fly wires, instead of the Basic.  Poop.  Filed a claim and got offered to ship it back (>$20) or take a 50% refund.  7 days to appeal.  I can buy the fly wires separate for $~25.
Keithley 147/148, 196, 181, 236, 260, 616.  HP 3457a, 4274a, 6626A.  EDC MV106g, 501j.  LeCroy LC574AL/LC584AL 1GHz, 9354C.  Tek AWG610. Fluke 5200A.  And of course the ubiquitous 1054z.  Former Army Medic - IZ 3x

Offline Crazy_Fox

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2020, 01:13:05 pm »
Got the crappy DSLogic U2Basic

There are at least absent PCB trace from FPGA to RAM chip, so according to the MT48LC16M16A2 datasheet A12 pin (last pin of address bus) is not connected, so at least 16x16 DRAMs cannot be addressed fully.

Seems we can add some wire with the same length as another traces for address bus, but I'm not sure that this is the only change in the PCB design.
900950-0

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, ceres-c

Offline Crazy_Fox

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2020, 02:54:30 pm »
Hi, Team

As my 256Mb chip still in transit, I decided to play a little with EEPROM.

I'm pretty lazy, so decided to connect 4th and 7th pins with small wire instead of desoldering EEPROM chip. But unfortunately, fx2lafw_eeprom_loader.exe unable to find my U2Basic due to 0029 PID, so I've modified .exe file to enable support U2Basic instead of Basic (just replaced 21 to 29 in offset 0x00008472).

After that I was able to load Basic firmware to the U2Basic and now it works as old good DSLogic Basic (with 400MHz sample rate and 256Kb buffer).

If you are interested in - feel free to use it. In the archive - fx2lafw_eeprom_loader with 0029 PID instead of 0021, .hex dump of DSLogic U2Basic EEPROM, and .hex dump of DSLogic Basic EEPROM.

Offline Mrkvak

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2020, 02:10:45 am »
Are you able to verify it actually works above 100MHz?
I've just changed the source code of DSView: libsigrok4DSL/hardware/DSL/dsl.h, added | (1 << DSL_BUFFER200x8) | (1 << DSL_BUFFER400x4), after (1 << DSL_BUFFER100x16) and changed samplerates100 to samplerates400 in DSLogic U2B definition (around line 532).

Now it seems to work up to 400MHz with 64MB buffer, but I have no way of verifying that since I don't have a working generator above 100MHz.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2020, 02:14:21 am »
Use the generator at 100 MHz, and should see about 4 samples for each period of signal.

Offline Mrkvak

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2020, 07:28:18 pm »
Well, it shows 40 samples for 10MHz signal. So I guess this part works - however, the question is whether it will really work at 400MHz or if it'll do just some weird interpolation or something like that.
I have my doubts about DSL (whichever version) working reliably with 100MHz+ signal anyways...

Offline DrTune

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2020, 07:57:09 am »
My experiences:
a) Bought U2 Basic.
b) Opened it up, wires pin 4 to 7 on the SPI flash
c) Reflashed with the "Basic" hex using the modified fx2lafw_eeprom_loader_u2b.exe  - replugged, works (with current latest DSView 1.0.1) recognized as Basic model that does 400Mhz (appears to work fine, but obviously no real buffer memory)
d) Replaced SDRam with 48LC16M16A2-75 (hot air and microscope. I think I did it ok, we shall see..)
e) Booted again (still as 'Basic'), still works (as it's ignoring the SDRam)
f) Flashed this "Basic" version with https://raw.githubusercontent.com/podonoghue/LogicAnalyser/master/Software/fx2lafw_eeprom_loader/bin/DsLogicPro hex file using the 'unmodified' fx2lafw_eeprom_loader.exe
g) DSView 1.0.1 recognizs it as DSLogic Plus, but hangs ("waiting for trigger") when capture starts
h) DSView 0.9.9 does work:  Streaming mode: works but oddly I see periodic one-sample zero glitches (e.g. every 16 samples are zero) on all channels. Self-test doesn't even work right. Ack. Stuff is all half-broken, lots of bad samples and stuff. Dammit.
i) Put board back under microscope and redid the SDRam soldering, it wasn't a great job the first time
j) Plug it back in and... lots of it works! (on V0.9.9) I fed in a 25mhz clock to the first four channels and sampled it at 400mhz (buffered mode) and it's fine!
e.g.
j1) Buffered mode, 4 channel, 400mhz sampling, with 167.77ms buffer (max available; not using RLE) == 400M*0.5*0.167 = 32MBytes = 256MBit.  The data (25mhz clock on all channels) looks great.  Adjustable input voltage threshold is working too.
j2) NOTE: RLE modes do _not_ seem to work reliably for me at >100Mhz speeds:
    8 CH @ 100mhz, 200ms RLE sampling works ok, but stepping same thing to 200mhz gets me garbled results, channels shifted around, general half-crap.   
    However, if I do the same 8CH/200mhz buffered without RLE, the data (superficially) looks good.

So.. almost fully working... 

The RLE crapping out at 200Mhz and up may imply sporadic SDRam errors (that are perhaps returning a few wrong samples not visible to the eye in non-RLE mode; obvs errors in RLE would cause large ripple effects on the data, like what I'm seeing)
This may well be memory access time problems (I am using a -75 chip).

I may swap the SDRam for a faster one, or just not use RLE modes on this and treat it with a bit of suspicion over 100mhz.

V1.0.1. note:
You can (kinda) use this with 1.0.1 software too - you just have to use the bitstreams from 0.9.9 (as pointed out on here);
in the "DSView/res" folder you can replace the "DSLogicPlus.bin" xilinx bitstream file with the one from 0.9.9
(Note that the firmware is only loaded if the device has not been programmed since it was plugged in, so you can (for example) run v0.9.9, do a capture, then quit and run V1.0.1)

I assume the 1.0.1 bitstream is superior, but it hangs on start on a hacked unit. Pehaps my RLE errors are actually something they fixed in the new bitstream.. ? More likely they are that my SDRam is too slow. We shall see...

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2020, 06:10:59 am »
Got the crappy DSLogic U2Basic

There are at least absent PCB trace from FPGA to RAM chip, so according to the MT48LC16M16A2 datasheet A12 pin (last pin of address bus) is not connected, so at least 16x16 DRAMs cannot be addressed fully.

Seems we can add some wire with the same length as another traces for address bus, but I'm not sure that this is the only change in the PCB design.

Thanks, this seems to be working well. Made a small attempt at trace length matching.
edit: the 1.0.1 bitstream is working as well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:16:43 am by thm_w »

The following users thanked this post: DrTune, ceres-c, Crazy_Fox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf