Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 168923 times)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #700 on: October 17, 2020, 10:00:46 pm »
After writing my last forum post, i stepped back and reflected if I am using the wrong drivers. I re-read the forum thread and concluded that I have to switch to v2 of DXL driver set (with the unmodified frontpanel driver) ... should have read the forum beforehand ...
if you are using multicore cpu in WinXP, you may search ZtiLecroyFPanelFix driver from ingowien in earlier page, his driver is much better and stable.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: georgo

Offline georgo

• Contributor
« Reply #701 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:49 am »
I did reverte to the original D865 and the Frontpanel is working.

On the new Q77 Mainboard I did try to fallback to Windows XP but the Front Panel Situation was not changing at all. So I tried the D865 to rule out that I damaged the hardware during the upgrade and the old D865 is working as expected.

I am sure that the Frontpanel was working (at least for one PowerCycle) on the Q77/Win7 32Bit Setup, because I remember that I was feeling lucky that the upgrade process was working so smoothly. Since then I could not repeat this behavouir no matter what kind of driver combo I was installing, reinstalling OS, falling back to WinXP. I did try to disable MultiCore and all the Peripherals in the BIOS, tryed with and without ingowiens filter driver and so on ..

My guess is that it could be some kind of ressource allocation problem - but I am not expert enough in this field to quickly find the issue ...

I will stick with the old Mobo and a fresh install of WinXP on a SSD for now ...

thanks for sticking with me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:25:13 am by georgo »

The following users thanked this post: charlyd

Offline georgo

• Contributor
« Reply #702 on: October 18, 2020, 12:33:51 pm »
I am completely puzzled right now -> I did restore the original state of the SDA3010 (D865 Mobo) but instead of the original Harddrive, I did a clean WinXP install on a SSD.

The result: I do have now the exactly same behaviour as with the new Motherboard (Frontpanel not working). I did notice that the used IRQ on the old Harddrive was IRQ 20, whereas now it is IRQ 22.

I did install all the mobo drivers (ethernet, gfx, audio, chipset) before I did install the LeCroy drivers, maybe thats why I get assigned a different IRQ.

Has somebody experienced a similar problem?

Something more: After this step I did a complete step back and booted the from the old Harddrive - somehow it is still assigned to IRQ22 (so it changed) and now I have the same behavioure of non-working frontpanel even with the original harddrive. (I still have backup images) but could it be that the IRQ Assignment is stored in BIOS?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:53:46 pm by georgo »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #703 on: October 18, 2020, 05:41:38 pm »
There has never been such a problem even in the case of a non-original motherboard. Maybe something with your interface board?

Offline georgo

• Contributor
« Reply #704 on: October 18, 2020, 06:19:37 pm »
thanks - I am currently rereading the whole thread and I think you are right - maybe a damaged FPC cable... I did measure the cable however in a strechted state lying on the table, because I wanted to rule out this possibility ...

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #705 on: October 19, 2020, 01:21:44 am »
I am completely puzzled right now -> I did restore the original state of the SDA3010 (D865 Mobo) but instead of the original Harddrive, I did a clean WinXP install on a SSD.
in case you need the last driver, bios patch and update files etc for D865GSA motherboard, you can PM me, i've keep all of the files needed before Intel shut down the website for these old motherboards. i think i also have for D845GRG. after you install WinXP, make sure all drivers installed correctly esp motherboard (so PCI express and AGP ports work correctly), and then install the ingowein driver and then the dso xstream software. i did try to install Win7 on the D865 board but i had problem with driver compatibility so i guess Win7 cant work. ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline georgo

• Contributor
« Reply #706 on: October 28, 2020, 02:57:29 pm »
I am still working on the frontpanel issue.

My repair attempts include:

* changing the FFC cable
* changing the tantalum capacitor (C1)
* measured all diodes

Currently I suspect the SuperIO Chip to have failed - I already ordered a replacement - but before I want to understand the circuit a bit better - that's why I started to reverse the MFP415 Frontpanel.

I did put together a simplified version, which is still work in progress: https://github.com/ottingerg/lecroy_mfp415

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #707 on: October 30, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »
This is driving me nuts.

Could one of you fine gentlemen tell me what the default windows login is of these machines (a Wavepro 7100 in particular..)

Offline dgo_42

« Reply #708 on: October 30, 2020, 03:04:07 pm »
LeCroyUser normally without password

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #709 on: October 30, 2020, 03:09:04 pm »
Nope. Win2000 machine.

Offline dgo_42

« Reply #710 on: October 30, 2020, 03:11:01 pm »
My Wavepro 7200 has XP and LeCroyUser ¯\__(ツ)__/¯

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #711 on: October 30, 2020, 03:21:34 pm »
I appreciate the attempt. I'm trying to avoid having to use the recovery function. Seems stupid for a damn win password..

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #712 on: October 30, 2020, 04:47:53 pm »
Perhaps the previous user set their own personal password?
There are special utilities on the Internet for resetting passwords. You do not have to reinstall the system again, although this is not difficult. I would immediately update the system to Windows XP, and not waste time looking for a password for Win 2K.

Offtop: Does anyone have a Dvi Display Interface Assembly p/n: 900947 for LeCroy WP 7K (or WaveMaster) for sale?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:50:28 pm by Converter »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #713 on: October 30, 2020, 05:44:33 pm »
Perhaps the previous user set their own personal password?
There are special utilities on the Internet for resetting passwords. You do not have to reinstall the system again, although this is not difficult. I would immediately update the system to Windows XP, and not waste time looking for a password for Win 2K.

Offtop: Does anyone have a Dvi Display Interface Assembly p/n: 900947 for LeCroy WP 7K (or WaveMaster) for sale?

At least he created an account "ben". Eh, well, no shortcuts or so it would seem :D

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #714 on: November 19, 2020, 07:26:13 am »
Update: spend a *lot* of time getting a UBCD working on the machine to reset the psswd. By the time I managed it, the drive no longer appeared on the machine  :palm:

So, I plugged in a new drive and installed XP. Works fine (thanks to the driver package I found in this thread) except for the autoset button (huh?) and the touchscreen driver. The driver itself seems to be right (recognized by the Lecroy soft) but it doesn't work. I assume I chose the wrong settings.

Can someone tell me what the settings are?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #715 on: November 19, 2020, 09:28:36 am »
iirc there are 1 or 2 touch drivers mentioned in this thread, or maybe i downloaded 1 driver from the net that is not working correctly, and this thread provided the one that is i believe similar to the one used by Lecroy and is working, you may want to check that. for device driver, ingowein's is more stable on multi core cpu. and make sure you try to recover the calibration data in original HDD D:\ with your tooth and nail and put it back in the new installation.

btw guess what arrived today?... https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Lecroy-TF-USB-USB-Compliance-Test-Fixture/174049371468 the seller accepted the offer $100, took me many months to hunt and wait for the price to be accepted from sellers. who the heck design USB2 nowadays anyway? its just so i can collect SDA/DDA era legacy goodies for nostalgic moment, maybe i can use it for learning/design purpose, or maybe not :P

Offline michal.zet

« Reply #716 on: December 01, 2020, 09:17:13 pm »
Hi All
I noticed that my WP7300 had some failed self test "Power On" in Service menu. I repeated it and it seems to fail every time. Where can I found any details? I'm worried a little. Everything always worked 100% fine, and works great now too. I did memory and CPU change about a year ago.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:30:46 pm by michal.zet »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #717 on: December 06, 2020, 01:58:21 am »
I have tested many WP7K devices and always have this test with an error. I do not know what caused this.

The following users thanked this post: michal.zet

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #718 on: December 06, 2020, 02:08:32 am »
maybe we can ask lecroy what is this about?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #719 on: December 06, 2020, 09:06:32 am »
FYI: the touchscreen works after a reboot. The "autoset" button remains MIA.

Just an FYI: it were actually a few buttons, all related to a bad diode on the button board. Replaced it, it was good after that. So, if you ever have a few misbehaving buttons: beep out the diodes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 11:59:42 am by Ice-Tea »

Offline georgo

• Contributor
« Reply #720 on: December 08, 2020, 03:37:45 pm »
I am still struggeling with my front panel ... following the drunken man anti-method I did swap the SuperIO LPC47N227 to check if this helps...
Unfourtunatly I only got chips with 0,4mm pitch instead of the used 0,5mm pitch on the PCB -> so I had to design a adapter around this issue. Attached you find a pic of the 100lqfp 0,4 -> 0,5mm pitch adapter. (Note: I did sand the bottom of the adater so that only the galvanized vias remained and I also sanded all edges so that the half-via provided the needed edge contacts.

But the situation is exactly the same as before -> so my guess the SuperIO could be faulty was wrong.

I did however achieve limited success with the LEDs on the frontpanel - The LEDs are driven by two 74HC594 shift-registers and by forcing the STR/ (storage register reset) to passive (pulling up Pin13 via 10k to 3v3 and excluding the Line 8 from the FFC ) the frontpanel Leds start working. And changes like channel trace on/off are properly reflected by the LEDs.

So now I got working Leds but the buttons/rotary encoders are still not working ..

As always if someone has a hint for me how to proceed, I am happy to take your advice.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:44:01 pm by georgo »

Offline georgo

• Contributor
« Reply #721 on: January 01, 2021, 10:23:35 am »
Happy New Year to everyone !!

I just want to keep you in the loop that my frontpanel is working again. Big thanks to ingowien! The failure was a bit unexpected, because it was not caused by the drivers, nor the frontpanel itself or the pci aquisition card. The failure is located somewhere on the Fan-Controller Card. The ribbon cable that connects the Fan-Controller to the Frontpanel (on J4) also carries an active-low Signal (Pin 4) that seems to act as "Disable Frontpanel". For some reason this signal was never released on my Scope.

During debugging I noticed that the J4 connector was not properly seated - I just reseated it and did not think much about this. This issue might either have damaged my FAN-Controller or it was the reason while the scope was working at the beginning (cause Pin4 did not made any contact)

Anyhow my fix was to cut the disable line on the Frontpanel PCB - there is anyhow a 10k pull-up in place that assures a proper state. (see picture attached).

During the debugging session I partially reveresed the frontpanel (this can be found here: https://github.com/ottingerg/lecroy_mfp415

I did not investigate what failed on the FAN-Controller, cause I am happy with the solution i found - It does have however one little drawback: After exiting the scope Application the LEDs stay lit. (but for me that is perfectly acceptable)

Thanks to everybody who helped me out with ideas how to fix my frontpanel. best wishes

The following users thanked this post: Converter

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #722 on: January 10, 2021, 07:18:42 pm »
Happy New Year to everyone !!

I just want to keep you in the loop that my frontpanel is working again. Big thanks to ingowien! The failure was a bit unexpected, because it was not caused by the drivers, nor the frontpanel itself or the pci aquisition card. The failure is located somewhere on the Fan-Controller Card. The ribbon cable that connects the Fan-Controller to the Frontpanel (on J4) also carries an active-low Signal (Pin 4) that seems to act as "Disable Frontpanel". For some reason this signal was never released on my Scope.

During debugging I noticed that the J4 connector was not properly seated - I just reseated it and did not think much about this. This issue might either have damaged my FAN-Controller or it was the reason while the scope was working at the beginning (cause Pin4 did not made any contact)

Anyhow my fix was to cut the disable line on the Frontpanel PCB - there is anyhow a 10k pull-up in place that assures a proper state. (see picture attached).

Hi georgo,

I faced the same problem when I upgraded the stock motherboard to AIMB-582. I have traced the circuit that connects the 3.3V enable level to the ground in the Frontpanel module. This is done by one of the "reset" pins of the motherboard, on which the ground is permanently present, which is connected via connector J8 to pin 4 of J10 on the Fan-Controller Card and then goes to pin 4 of the Frontpanel connector. You just need to swap the 2 pins in the connector that is connected to the "reset" group on the motherboard.

Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: georgo

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #723 on: January 12, 2021, 09:00:14 pm »
Hello everyone. Has anyone had success with directly connecting the NEC NL10276BC20-04 LCD to the onboard lvds port of the Advantech AIMB-582 motherboard? I made a correct BIOS setting for a 1024x768 18bit matrix, but the image is always strongly stretched horizontally. I suppose that the compatibility problem is in that part of the BIOS firmware of the motherboard, which is responsible for the output of lvds signals. With other ports, like D-Sub, this works fine (with a separate discrete scaler board). Can someone have another BIOS version compatible with NL10276BC20-04?

The DP to LVDS CH7511B-BF converter firmware is contained in the 24C64 EEPROM (I²C) located on the back of the motherboard. I need a workable version of the dump, which can be read using the programmer, or Chrontel CH7511B Utility.
In this thread, user Ollopa mentioned that he is using an AIMB-581 and NEC NL10276BC20-04 LCD motherboard. Did you manage to get the correct display in this project?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:49:33 pm by Converter »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #724 on: January 19, 2021, 06:31:34 pm »
Advantech's office asked for $500 for optimizing the firmware for the LCD matrix NL10276BC20-04. To do this, they ask to send them to Taiwan my matrix, motherboard and all connecting cables.

However, I was able to successfully modify the firmware myself.
For this I used the Chrontel CH7511B Utility, and some instructions on how to use them, which were not easy to obtain.

The task is quite simple, it was enough for me to correct only 2 DTD parameters: HB (Hor. Blanking) and VB (Ver. Blanking), which are calculated using the factory specifications of the LCD matrix presented in

Datasheet according to the formula : HB = Hsync Period - Hsync Active; VB = Vsync Period - Vsync Active. And also the clock frequency (DCLK) has been slightly adjusted and the size of the visible area.

Thus, the LCD matrix now works perfectly. As you can see in the attached photos, now the image scaling occurs correctly, both in DOS mode and after loading Windows.

Perhaps it will be useful to someone else in the future, so I am attaching to the letter my firmware optimized for the NL10276BC20-04 matrix (Lec1.bin): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pVnBnOJF5OahTJMiuA6iCdQS9HPOywiH/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:09:18 pm by Converter »

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, tv84, ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf