Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 166852 times)

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #725 on: January 19, 2021, 09:16:05 pm »
Sorry, I just saw your post.

Good job! I did the same thing last year for my DDA-3000, mated AIMB-584 with NL10276BC20-04 display. A lot of trial and error experiments with Chrontel utilities.

Pro tip (don't ask how I know  ;D ) - backup the I2C EEPROM for the Chrontel chip first before playing with the Chrontel tools :)

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #726 on: January 19, 2021, 10:51:42 pm »
Hi, Did you get the same settings as mine?
Did you connect the power control of the LCD lighting inverter in the same way?
There it is advisable to turn off the LCD glow at some moments of time during the loading of the operating system.
Since the standard LeCroy controller no longer does this for obvious reasons, I started a separate wire from the ENBKL from the connector on the motherboard.
In principle, it is worth taking from this connector all other voltages for the LCD inverter. In particular, I am interested in the LCD brightness control signal (VR signal), but I cannot see how this is controlled by the motherboard.
In the Chrontel utility chip programming menu there is an option "Enable OSD display" - I activated this item, but did not see this OSD display panel anywhere in a running system. How is LCD brightness and contrast provided here? How do I call this menu? Do you have information about this?

Pro tip (don't ask how I know  ;D ) - backup the I2C EEPROM for the Chrontel chip first before playing with the Chrontel tools :)
Yes, I know what you mean. At some point, I was forced to unsolder the EEPROM chip and fix the firmware using the programmer (fortunately, I had 2 AIMB-582 boards), because the only DOS utility that I had at that moment was powerless to resurrect this brick, even with trying to return the original firmware  ;D. But later, when I got access to Chrontel CH7511B Utility and studied the theory, the modification was successful on the first attempt.

Update. Now I redid the power supply to the LCD inverter entirely from the motherboard (not just using a single contact ENBKL)

I found brightness control in the Intel video driver control menu. As I determined, this does not affect the modes of operation of the inverter. I am sure that this is enough for adjustments during use of the oscilloscope, but fluorescent lamps will always be at maximum power, which is not good for their service life.

Update. I tried to change the power of the inverter by flashing the duty cycle parameter in the range from 6.25 to 100%, but this does not change the VR control signal - there is always about 3.5V DC voltage (not PWM). Does it work differently for you?

Update. I have determined that this motherboard does not support inverter duty cycle control: the CH7511B chip pins PWM_OUT0 and PWM_OUT1 are not connected anywhere on the board. The board already has printed wire for using these pins, and even a jumper to select analog/digital brightness control, but some radio components are not installed. Thus, the VR output works in a simplified way, it is always in the same 3.45V state. I think I can fix this by modifying the motherboard.

Update. I have restored the power control function of the LCD inverter. To do this, I simply connected pin #48 of the chip CH7511 to the "VR" pin of the inverter control connector (pin #4) through a 1k resistor. I tried adding a smoothing capacitor to get analog control, but as it turned out, this is not necessary, since the original NEC 104PWBR1 inverter is digitally controlled, so that 0V corresponds to 60% power and 3.3V to 100%. Thus, I set 50% duty cycle by firmware (with a frequency of about 200 Hz), which corresponds to 80% power for this inverter, and this is optimal in my case. I use pin #1 of the CN3 connector of the inverter (see the red wire that comes from pin #3 "ENBKL" of the motherboard) to control the screen dimming at certain points in the system boot, otherwise it flashes white.
Perhaps it will be useful to someone, the datasheet for the inverter is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJD30KvEBOUBRz3n3wEN9s3FfgjuztT2/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:11:02 pm by Converter »

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #727 on: January 20, 2021, 08:44:23 am »
Hi, Did you get the same settings as mine?
Did you connect the power control of the LCD lighting inverter in the same way?
There it is advisable to turn off the LCD glow at some moments of time during the loading of the operating system.
Since the standard LeCroy controller no longer does this for obvious reasons, I started a separate wire from the ENBKL from the connector on the motherboard.
In principle, it is worth taking from this connector all other voltages for the LCD inverter. In particular, I am interested in the LCD brightness control signal (VR signal), but I cannot see how this is controlled by the motherboard.
In the Chrontel utility chip programming menu there is an option "Enable OSD display" - I activated this item, but did not see this OSD display panel anywhere in a running system. How is LCD brightness and contrast provided here? How do I call this menu? Do you have information about this?

Update. Now I redid the power supply to the LCD inverter entirely from the motherboard

I found brightness control in the Intel video driver control menu. As I determined, this does not affect the modes of operation of the inverter, but I am sure that this is enough for adjustments during use of the oscilloscope.

Update. I tried to change the power of the inverter by flashing the duty cycle parameter in the range from 6.25 to 100%, but this does not change the VR control signal - there is always about 3.5V DC voltage (not PWM). Does it work differently for you?

I don't remember now. It was a year ago and now my entire lab is in boxes and will stay there for a while (moving & other reasons) so I cannot check. I think I didn't bother and just powered on the inverter from the motherboard, without any brightness control or blanking, no big deal :)

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #728 on: May 08, 2021, 03:12:01 am »
This seems to be the main WP7k thread, so I'll ask here:

I've got a WP 7300 which worked fine for a while.  One day I booted it up and it had the classic wrong LEDs on the front panel (or at least, they would randomly turn off), and a relay click every acquisition.  I make sure the most current board drivers were installed then went to the service menu to calibrate it, and the calibration failed without any message.  I eventually narrowed it down to the hop cal failing whereas everything else is fine, though without the hop cal it seems like the whole cal doesn't save or something and it always has the relay-click-per-acquisition issue.

Other symptoms include about a division of noise on the finest timebase - if actually a real representation of a signal, it would be several GHz, beyond the normal response of the frontend.  Interestingly, this noise is present not only on all channels, but with the channels ground coupled, and it's just overlaid over any injected signal.

I had a hunch that it could have been the main clock board going bad so I swapped it with a WP7200 with a same part number board, and the same symptoms persist.  I've also got a bit of whine on the power supply recently, and while there is some measurable noise on the DC rails going to the ADCs, they all seem to be symmetric voltages and the noise is high enough frequency that probing on the tantalums on the bottom of the acqusition board probably wouldn't show this sort of noise.

So the challenging question is what's actually wrong with it, but I wanted to ask a different one which could help: what even is the hop cal?  I understand it's LeCroy proprietary, but maybe understanding what it actually does would help me track down what part is having a bad time.

My next best guess is the timing chip in the middle of the board, but while that WP7200 maybe could be a donor (it's FPGA never fully initializes so the board doesn't respond on the control gigabit ethernet link), I'm not sure I'm equipped to remove and replace that sort of a chip.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #729 on: May 08, 2021, 07:24:16 am »
I'd try reseating all the boards & connectors in the PC part of the scope first. Did you also reseat the input modules? I had a problem with my WP7200A and that was magically solved by reseating the input module. If you have a WP7200 as well then try to use the PSU from that one just to rule out it is the PSU and then swap whatever you can from the WP7200 to rule out it is that particular part.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #730 on: May 08, 2021, 02:56:28 pm »
Yeah the PSU is an option, just a lot of digging around in the scope to physically pull it, and I would have expected some error messages or unpowered caps on the bottom side if that were the case - nothing that I could find.

Will give reseating a chance, the acquisition board is already out so it should be straightforward enough.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #731 on: June 27, 2021, 03:25:28 am »
Finally got the time to work through it, first tried reattaching all the cables to the acquisition board - no luck, then tried swapping the PSU... which is a chore, a couple dozen screws, a bunch of parts pulled, a tight space in the metalwork to deal with connectors, and even the PCI cards need to be unscrewed because their bottom retainer is holes in the top of the PSU.  After all of that, the PSU wasn't the problem either.

So I pulled the ADC boards and then cleaned the signal distribution board - it had some dust that left a grey residue and took a few passes to clean off - and it acquires normally and passes the hop cal now!  I've still got a little of the front panel light blinking for whatever reason - they're mostly good but adjusting a knob too far (timebase, channel offset, or some of the bottom row controls), it will make a bunch of the lights reset and act wonky for a bit, but it will reset and operate normally a lot of the time.  Tried reinstalling the driver package again and it.... maybe helped?  But it's not all the way fixed yet, so I'm not totally sure how to fix it beyond that.  Maybe a full scope software install is in order.

Anyways, here's the signal distribution board for a WavePro 7300A:

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #732 on: June 28, 2021, 11:26:02 pm »
It seems I stopped getting notifications for my watched threads :(

Yes, I did get the AIMB-581 and NEC NL10276BC20-04 LCD working with a direct connection, but I had to request the generic BIOS from Advantech and acknowledge that I was responsible for it if it broke.  My MB was pulled from some industrial machine with a custom BIOS and altered LVDS settings.  With the unbranded BIOS I was able to select the correct configuration for the LCD.

The Chrontel utility sounds quite useful.  Where can I get that?  Will somebody post or PM a link please?

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #733 on: June 29, 2021, 12:14:26 am »
I put Chrontel utility in Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wzmiiqt5ojzX7m3ZZvUnri1-ILOMH1bV/view?usp=sharing

As well as a standard BIOS for the AIMB-582QG2 motherboard (extracted from 24L6435E EEPROM):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1huCDEH3lqOrcf_Ya-46U06flwSSFxZac/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:53:30 am by Converter »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #734 on: June 30, 2021, 03:34:19 am »
Got my front panel working properly again, and it was another tip in this thread that started me down the right path, though the solution took a bit of chasing.

Basically, if you are running XP and a Hyperthreading enabled CPU in the original board (or perhaps others), the front panel can have intermittent errors, updating with garbage LED data occasionally with some actions.  This doesn't effect the input, but the output can be distracting or misleading.  I had the most recent windows XP 32 bit compatible XStream software and installed the aladdin board driver pack for it, but was still getting problems.  I read there were some SMT related errors with the drivers so I disabled hyperthreading in the BIOS, but while the front panel was fixed, whenever I moved the trigger level I got a huge lag - multiple seconds in some cases - which basically made the knob unusable even though it did function.

The solution to the trigger knob lag was an 'upgrade install' of windows with the original media, though a repair install or a complete reinstall would have done the trick.  Basically, because of XP's method of keeping track of single vs. multithreaded platforms, they can't always be switched back and fourth with equivalent functionality.  So since I had used a Hyperthreading for the initial install of XP on this machine, it was configured to be a multithreaded machine, and then when I disabled HT, it still ran alright, but it wasn't properly configured to handle things, and that manifested in the trigger delay issue.

In any case, the front panel shows the right lights, the software works, and the unit is acquiring again.  Been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years after it had issues the first time, happy to have it running again!

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #735 on: June 30, 2021, 03:28:37 pm »
The solution to the trigger knob lag was an 'upgrade install' of windows with the original media, though a repair install or a complete reinstall would have done the trick.  Basically, because of XP's method of keeping track of single vs. multithreaded platforms, they can't always be switched back and fourth with equivalent functionality.  So since I had used a Hyperthreading for the initial install of XP on this machine, it was configured to be a multithreaded machine, and then when I disabled HT, it still ran alright, but it wasn't properly configured to handle things, and that manifested in the trigger delay issue.

In any case, the front panel shows the right lights, the software works, and the unit is acquiring again.  Been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years after it had issues the first time, happy to have it running again!

To my knowledge, XP uses another version of its kernel when being installed on a multi-CPU machine, so if you re-installed having disabled hyperthreading, it probably reverted to the single CPU kernel. I faced similar issues with a WaveRunner 6K, after a motherboard upgrade (i7)... 

Offline mophong

« Reply #736 on: August 15, 2021, 10:38:36 am »
I found one ECS 865GV-M3 mobo at a local store, it has 865GV chipset.  The AGP slot on this board is AGP Express slot, does it work with Lecroy SDVO card?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:50:42 am by mophong »

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #737 on: August 18, 2021, 06:35:50 am »
If you are wondering how a Wavemaster 8500 / DDA-5005 performs with win7 and a 2600k, I recorded a quick demo:

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #738 on: August 21, 2021, 12:01:59 pm »
If you are wondering how a Wavemaster 8500 / DDA-5005 performs with win7 and a 2600k, I recorded a quick demo:
:-+ i tried and managed to install and run W7 on old motherboard long time ago, but W7 didnt recognize the lecroy driver, so that was a no go. can you explain in detail how you did the mod? what motherboard, what driver and how the LCD mod?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: ZhuraYuk

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #739 on: October 06, 2021, 04:09:43 am »
Yes, I did get the AIMB-581 and NEC NL10276BC20-04 LCD working with a direct connection, but I had to request the generic BIOS from Advantech and acknowledge that I was responsible for it if it broke.  My MB was pulled from some industrial machine with a custom BIOS and altered LVDS settings.  With the unbranded BIOS I was able to select the correct configuration for the LCD.

I was recently asked about this so I will share more detail here.  The BIOS setting I used for this is 1024x768 24-bit.  The panel is only 18-bit however the motherboard uses the JEIDA mapping which puts the RGB24 LSBs all one one additional LVDS pair which can be ignored for an 18-bit panel.

I connected the ED0, ED1, ED2, and ECK pairs of the AIM-581 LVDS connector to the D0, D1,  D2, and CK pairs of the NEC panel.

The AIMB-581 LVDS connector has two 24-bit LVDS transmitters: Even and Odd.  The Odd transmitter is only used for 36 and 48 bit panels.

So, in summary, configure the BIOS for 24-bit but only connect the first three Even transmitter pairs to an 18-bit panel.

Stock V118 BIOS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pYCRyYS9eHQ3U_nVMwL5GTUDmNnpQSeK/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 04:12:30 am by ollopa »

Offline mophong

« Reply #740 on: November 01, 2021, 08:23:35 am »

Conversion was really easy. I did a clean install. Then installed all the chipset / mobo drivers. Then to install the xstream drivers I downloaded moded xstream drivers from earlier in the thread and installed them via the legacy driver install option in the task manager. I had to repeat it a couple times. A "PCIe Serial" driver did not install but it does not seem to be a problem. After that get the xstream 8.x from the lecroy site and it worked.

Hi sixtimesseven, can you describe how you did install driver with legacy driver option? I have tried by failed.
Thanks.

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #741 on: November 06, 2021, 02:11:31 am »
I put Chrontel utility in Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wzmiiqt5ojzX7m3ZZvUnri1-ILOMH1bV/view?usp=sharing

As well as a standard BIOS for the AIMB-582QG2 motherboard (extracted from 24L6435E EEPROM):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1huCDEH3lqOrcf_Ya-46U06flwSSFxZac/view?usp=sharing

Sergey, how did you read the board BIOS from the flash chip? Did you use any external SPI programmer?
-albertr

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #742 on: November 06, 2021, 04:12:38 am »
You might try booting up Linux and see if flashrom can dump the BIOS.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #743 on: November 06, 2021, 04:29:33 am »
-albertr, I used RT809F Programmer and 8-pin clothespin without removing the chip. But when using the Chrontel CH7511B Utility, you won't need it. If you are going to use the AIMB-581, you need to check, it may be that another controller is used there, and not the CH7511B, and then you need other utilities.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #744 on: November 06, 2021, 04:50:47 am »
-albertr, I used RT809F Programmer and 8-pin clothespin without removing the chip. But when using the Chrontel CH7511B Utility, you won't need it.

I think he was asking about the BIOS flash, not the Chrontel.

If you are going to use the AIMB-581, you need to check, it may be that another controller is used there, and not the CH7511B, and then you need other utilities.

Yes, the AIMB-581 uses the CH7308B.  If anyone has utilities for the CH7308B please post a link or send a PM!

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #745 on: November 06, 2021, 06:02:33 pm »
-albertr, I used RT809F Programmer and 8-pin clothespin without removing the chip. But when using the Chrontel CH7511B Utility, you won't need it.

I think he was asking about the BIOS flash, not the Chrontel.

ollopa, that's correct. I've messed up and butchered my  AIMB-581 board when tried to install a new BIOS release provided by Advantech.
Ordered a cheap CH341A SPI programmer for $14 from Amazon and hope to re-flash and revive it.
-albertr

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #746 on: November 06, 2021, 08:46:19 pm »
I assume you're going to try flashing the V118 BIOS I posted if you have a 581.

I removed the SPI flash chip this morning and dumped with my TL866.  The contents are almost identical to the stock Advantech BIN except for areas where I assume the settings are stored, so you can probably flash the V118 BIN directly.  But in case you're curious or you need it, here is this morning's dump from my working board:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cNWz4Fzn0OXThgiwFhciUzJAqhcxEeC4/view?usp=sharing

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #747 on: November 06, 2021, 09:18:29 pm »
ollopa, thanks! I do have the old BIOS dump from my board, I just need to re-learn all the modifications I did back in early 2017 to this BIOS. That was version 1.1.5 which was correctly working with my LCD. However, I started to mess with it and "upgraded" intel ME hoping to unlock CPU multiplier in Q67 chipset (my CPU has unlocked multiplier, but chipset doesn't allow it). The newer version of ME messed up my USB host controller, and when I got a new BIOS ver. 1.1.8 from Advantech I was hopeful that I can reflash all regions including ME and will get my USB working again. However, as you already probably guessed, instead it resulted in total disaster and my board is dead now. My plan is to use external SPI programmer to flash my old 1.1.5 dump back. Also I will try to recover board-specific info like UUID, etc so I won't have to re-install Windows 7.
-albertr
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 09:21:02 pm by albertr »

Offline bnz

• Contributor
« Reply #748 on: December 08, 2022, 05:29:39 pm »
Is it possible to use the Lecroy ZS-Probes with the WavePro 7300a? At least in the version upgraded to windows 7 and the latest possible Lecroy software?

Offline mita

« Reply #749 on: July 27, 2023, 05:11:03 am »
Hi Converter,

Thank you for your post about Chrontel utility, saved my life. My problem is described in the below link and I need this secret, (almost) nowhere to find tool to be able to mess up with LVDS bit mapping of my SBC. Happy to find this forum, it is amazing for me how many people with in depth knowledge and experience posting here.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2489295

Regards!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf