Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 166856 times)

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »
Sir,
Mozhno i na ty...  ;D
I could not find this option in the Google translator to set mode "na ty"  ;D

If you change the original matrix of 800x600 NEC NL8060BC26-17, to 1024x768 NL10276DC20-04, I suggest just leave the backlight inverter as is in original LeCroy. Both LCD-matrix used the same backlight-lamp. Then you keep the original brightness control function in XStream menu. In other cases, you can also use the same wire brightness control of LeCroy, connecting it to the new inverter (eg for LED backlight).

But you are absolutely right, it should be possible to convert video signal from DVI to LVDS LCD, assuming you have time to find a converter board which will work with your LCD screen (6 vs 8 bit per color, screen resolution, etc).
In fact, this is very easy: click

Or:
1 NEC AccuSync LCD52VM
2 NEC AccuSync LCD52VM
3 NEC AccuSync LCD52VM

Why I was using a motherboard with integrated LDVS port? Because I was able to find a used one dirty cheap on EBay with free shipping. I'm not using any of its 6 serial ports, nor programmable watchdog timer or 6 programmable GPIO pins... As a matter of fact, the only useful feature of this "industry-grade" board I'm using is a Win32 library to adjust backlight intensity of LCD screen.
It's quite interesting. Is possible to learn markings of your motherboard?

Previously, I tried to buy the LCD-matrix "LTM10C386". This is - a very rare Matrix and I could not find it. But this is the only LCD-matrix 10.4" which has resolution 1600x1200.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:15:55 pm by Converter »

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2017, 06:05:25 pm »
I'm using Advantech AIMB-581 board which has two DVI ports (one external, one - internal) and one internal LVDS port paired with Chi Mei Innolux G104X1-L03 1024x768 10.4" LCD screen. Multi-monitor support works with Intel HD graphic. Here're some pictures in case you are interested: http://iral.com/~albertr/WP7K1_LCD_upgrade/

Personally, I wouldn't go higher than 1024x768 (XGA) resolution on a 10.4" size, since IMHO it will become difficult to read the screen and operate the touch screen.

-albertr
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:01:22 pm by albertr »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
In Abusemark recently appeared new model 2048x1536 LCD to HDMI Adapter. So now you can connect 2048x1536 LCD matrix Retina even to the HDMI or DVI port.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:55:15 pm by Converter »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2017, 07:52:24 pm »
Here're some pictures in case you are interested: http://iral.com/~albertr/WP7K1_LCD_upgrade/
Thank you for the photo gallery. Neatly work done. I was once I too had chores with mounting design, when installed a different matrix to TLA704 logic analyzer.

So now I bought a matrix identical to the original. Then it has managed only $ 80 for 2 pcs. new matrix, with a protective film on the glass.

usb - hole also I did with the help rasp. In addition, in the body TLA704 was cut space   for DVD-drive and 3.5 "hard drive.

p.s. I looked at your Advantech board. I think this is also a good choice.

Who can give me advice where to get the front plastic frame for front panel WavePro7k? I need one.
 Representative office LeCroy in New York refused to sell me this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:05:04 pm by Converter »

Offline dxlTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:08 pm »

Who can give me advice where to get the front plastic frame for front panel WavePro7k? I need one.
 Representative office LeCroy in New York refused to sell me this.

I asked LeCroy the exactly same thing as the front bezel is also broken on mine - but didn't get any reply so far. I fear it's the same reason.

It seems to be pretty common with LeCroy to have plastic that breaks after a few years - i've seen several other Wavepro with broken front bezel, and all of my HFP active probes are broken at the bnc connectors because there's just not enough relief on the housing and
the plastic seems cheap. I never had that with HP/Agilent/Keysight/Tektronix. So regardless of the scope quality itself, i think LeCroy has or had a serious problem with Mechanical engineering. I hope it's different with the newer scopes.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:55 pm »
If to me someone sent drawings, I would do it printed for all, using the 3D-printer.
Sven, you sometimes check your private messages?

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:13 pm »
Are you guys looking for P/N 70F1XXX14 (F1500/1000 Bezel)? I'm not that far from LeCroy US headquarters and can try check on its availability and pricing...

BTW, brittle cracked plastic was a huge issue on LeCroy's 93xx scopes, so they have a history...  :'(

-albertr
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:23:06 pm by albertr »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2017, 11:53:43 pm »
Are you guys looking for P/N 70F1XXX14 (F1500/1000 Bezel)? I'm not that far from LeCroy US headquarters and can try check on its availability and pricing...

BTW, brittle cracked plastic was a huge issue on LeCroy's 93xx scopes, so they have a history...  :'(

-albertr
Yes, P/N 70F1XXX14 (F1500 / 1000 Bezel), the front bezel. I had a correspondence last year with Kate Raplan and she called me first a very good price and sent the photo.

But later he refused to sell, saying that the boss has forbidden to sell this item, even at a higher price, which I have tried to offer..

It would be great if you can help. In fact, I need 2 pcs. framework. I'm even willing to buy used and broken frames for further restoration.
My WavePro7300A does not have bezel, absolutely. In this state, it was bought in eBay. A second instance bezel I want to use when I upgrade LeCroy DDA-120 (LC584AXL) to DDA-125 (with 10.4" LCD display). There seems to be set to the same bezel, and WavePro900 (DDA-260) series bezel is similar.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:02:25 pm by Converter »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2017, 12:19:35 am »
In the past, some of the old bezels I successfully repaired. At first it is glued by means of dichloroethane, then reinforced with fiberglass and epoxy adhesive, puttied and selected by the color gray paint.

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2017, 02:43:31 pm »
I have inquired LeCroy about P/N 70F1XXX14, but they said it's obsolete and no longer available. Sorry, guys. I guess they ran out of stock on this part and don't want to make another batch.
-albertr
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:01:40 pm by albertr »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »
It's a pity. We'll have to produce this part yourself. If you see this part, used or broken, please let me know..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:51:24 pm by Converter »

Offline w2hx

• Contributor
Re: Upgrading LeCroy WaveRunner 6100?
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2017, 01:36:53 am »
Hello friends,

I recently acquired a LeCroy WaveRunner 6100. It is my first GUI scope and I am really loving it. Mine has great options and -VL memory size. The one thing is the UI is a kinda "sluggish." I've been reading everything I can on these forums (especially this thread in particular) about upgrading.

Here are the options I have

Code: [Select]
Very Large memory option (12 Mpts/channel, 24 Mpts using 2 channels)
Disk Drive Measurement Package WR6-DDM2
Digital Filter Package WR6-DFP2
Ethernet Test Package (WaveRunner 6100 and 6200 only1) WR6-ENET
Master Analysis Package (XMATH + XDEV + JTA2) WR6-XMAP
Advanced Math Package WR6-XMATH
Developer’s Customization Kit WR6-XDEV
Jitter and Timing Analysis WR6-JTA2
USB 2.0 Compliance Software WR6-USB2
PowerMeasure Analysis WR6-PMA2

I don't plan to do a major motherboard replacement as several people have done successfully here, I just want to max out whatever I can max out. I am totally inexperienced when it comes to upgrading PC stuff. I couldn't tell a PCIe from a LVDS. So I was hoping I could get some validation of my approach here.

My 6100 has the following:
1.7 GHz Celeron CPU
The Windows 2000 reports 512MB RAM. But the STATUS screen shows 256MB (why is that?)
It has a standard IDE 36 GB drive PM-Maxtor 6E040L0 (Ultra DMA Mode ATA/100)
My plan is to upgrade the CPU, the RAM and replace the IDE hard drive with a PATA SSD drive.

Here is some system summary info.

Code: [Select]
Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LCRY0602P10523
System Manufacturer LeCroy Corporation             
System Model X-Stream DSO                   
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1699 Mhz
BIOS Version BIOS Date: 07/14/03 11:28:48 Ver: 08.00.08
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name LCRY0602P10523\LeCroyUser
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 522,032 KB
Available Physical Memory 375,504 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,798,056 KB
Available Virtual Memory 1,525,288 KB
Page File Space 1,276,024 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Here is the designation for my motherboard:

Picture of the RAM in my scope (and yes, I've cleaned it up since this picture):

I then found the documentation to my motherboard:

Intel® Desktop Board D845GERG2
https://downloadmirror.intel.com/15324/eng/D845GERG2_D845GEBV2_ProductGuide_English.pdf

On page 11 and 12 it talks about what this motherboard can support. It looks like I can upgrade to two 1GB memory sticks as long as they are DDR style. It also indicates that I can upgrade to a Pentium 4 with 2.8 GHz, 533 FSB and 512 KB L2 cache.  It also mentions to use DDR333 with a Pentium 4 and a 533 FSB. So considering I plan to upgrade the CPU I might as well also get the DDR333 over the DDR266.

I would be grateful if I could get some validation on my choices of upgrades. These are the items I am thinking of acquiring.
CPU
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001OTL3W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AL1R147NEYJ60
RAM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CH8NXY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00
As for the hard drive, I read some posts from "Joesmith" that refer to the Transcend SSD.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQT2LL6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANNSJU9W28Y9J

I also plan to move over to winXP SP3 and as I have read here, to install x-stream for the WR6K(A) and then x-stream for WavePro7K(A). This is supposed to get the best set of software features. I just pray that I don't lose my software options if I do this! I have a lot of nice options.

Based on the motherboard documentation, my question is have I selected the right components? Is there something I should watch out for or should I expect the CPU and RAM upgrade straightforward? I know the SSD is a little more involved with cloning and maintaining the calibration data. I'll have to be careful with that.

Any or all advice/warnings welcome.
Thanks
Eugene W2HX

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:46 am »
Hi w2hx,

1. I would recommend this processor: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-3-06GHz-Socket-533MHz/dp/B000MNJIDK/ref=sr_1_1
This is the limit for bus 533 MHz and the old kernel Northwood. Maybe it will have to update the BIOS.

2. I do not think it will be worse if you install two strips of 400 MHz DDR, even if they work only at 333 MHz.

But I still would have changed the motherboard because you will not get too much benefit from the SSD, using a slow IDE bus.

In any case, be sure to save an image of your original drive, especially folder with the settings.

Offline w2hx

• Contributor
Re: Upgrading LeCroy WaveRunner 6100
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2017, 11:23:44 pm »
Hello, Converter! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I actually never knew about that 3.06 GHz chip! thanks for pointing that out to me. As you suggested, I found that I need version P09 of the BIOS for this motherboard to support that faster chip so its good to know it is supported.  And yes, that is a great suggestion about the faster DDR. This stuff is so cheap it makes sense, especially with the faster CPU.

One question, I did some reading about that faster CPU and it appears to support hyperthreading (or something like that).  I have read in these forums about concerns regarding HT technology and the xstream software. Is this anything I need to worry about? Can it be turned off somehow?

Thanks again (and yes, I will be careful to make an image copy of the existing HD.)
Eugene

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2017, 12:25:09 am »
Hi Eugene,
Yes, the 3.06 GHz processor is the only model from this old series that has implemented 2 thread processing (Hyper Threading). But Sven's driver keyboard for Windows XP works fine with multithreaded processors. You can also try to disable Hyper Threading in Bios.

Offline w2hx

• Contributor
Re: Upgrading LeCroy WaveRunner 6100
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2017, 08:40:21 pm »
Well, I did it. I managed to crash the original hard drive before I had a chance to clone it. I was trying to figure out how to remove the hard drive from its mounting frame and removed some screws thinking it would allow the drive to detach from the frame. Instead a panel opened up and I saw the platter. Within  a nanosecond I snapped the panel back in place praying that nothing bad would occur. But my prayers were not answered. I tried to boot it up and it says no boot media. I hear the hard drive trying and trying and trying to boot but just the error message.

I am praying not all is lost. Let me explain. When I first got the scope, I found a menu option to save important files. This menu option was within the scope software itself. Specifically, it was within the Service Menu, "Critical File Backup"
It created a zip file with the calibration folder that has a bunch of .btd files and a /compensation folder. 

I am praying that once I get this thing up and running again, and reload the xstream software, that I can re-import this zip file and regain all of my options that would otherwise be a fortune to purchase.

Does anyone know if, with this file backed up, if I can restore the scope to all its optioned glory? Or am I screwed? I should mention that I dont know if the old drive is totally dead or just unbootable. It is possible that if I boot off another drive that I could still mount the D: partition if that becomes necessary.

Any advice (other than to get driving directions to the nearest landfill as the scope's last resting place)?
Eugene

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2017, 09:12:06 pm »
Eugene, that "critical files" backup you did is all you need, everything else can be re-installed.

I guess now nothing should hold you from migrating over to Windows 7?  ^-^

-albertr

Offline w2hx

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:53 pm »
Hi Albertr. You come to the rescue yet again!  Whew. I am glad you think I'll be alright. Otherwise I would have had a very expensive doorstop.

So now I am wondering about windows 7 and other possibilities. First, is there any benefit of using 64 over 32 bit? Perhaps 32 bit requires less resources so perhaps that is the right direction?

Second, what really is the benefit of win7 over xp pro in the specific case of the WR6100? Probably some stability, but I worry that with limited resources on this motherboard that I should be looking for the "lightest" OS I can find to maximize resources available to the scope software itself? Is win7 "too much" for this little 2GB motherboard to handle?

And then of course, my mind wanders to linux. I know nothing about it other than I used to use some variants of unix in the 90's.  Aren't there linuxes that can run windows programs? If so, any benefit of attempting something like that? I've always been under the impression that linux is generally lighter weight than windows. Maybe it simply cannot work, or maybe no one has ever tried it!

What do you think?

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2017, 12:51:51 am »
The benefit of using Windows 7 is built in support for TRIM, so you don;'t have to worry about running TRIM command manually via third party software. Also Windows 7 is better supported on the newer boards/hardware, but that won't apply to you since you want to keep the original D845GERG2. Forget about x64, LeCroy drivers are 32 bit only.

-albertr
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:53:29 am by albertr »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2017, 02:13:26 am »
I will support the previous Albertr comment. I just want to remind, and here it was discussed: you have to reproduce the disk structure, as it was on the original disc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:15:17 am by Converter »

Offline w2hx

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2017, 03:12:44 am »
Converter, I would like to get some more clarity on your comment if possible. Do you mean I simply need to create a C: and D: partition? Or is there something more specific I need to do? My original disk has crashed due to my own stupidity so I don't know what (if anything) can be recovered from it.  Do the partitions need to be a very specific size or something else? I will try to review all the pages in this thread again to see what I can find.

thanks

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2017, 04:32:24 am »
I think the size does not matter  ;). But the path to the folders should be preserved.
Just create a physical disk (D:). And extract archive calibration. Then check that came out of it. If it does not work, you'll have to create the directories manually.
Here for example the structure on my old LeCroyWP7200.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:02:38 am by Converter »

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2017, 03:59:14 pm »
I just went thru the same ordeal recently since my scope came without the hard drive. I've created multiple partitions, made my D: volume partition to be the second partition in the partition table (not sure if it's strictly necessary, thou) , assigned the following volume labels:

SYSTEM for C: volume (Windows boot volume)
USERDATA for D: volume (calibration data volume).

If I was to repeat the process to reinstall Windows XP I would do the following:

1. Partition the hard drive as above.
2. Install Windows XP on C: volume.
3. Install X-Stream 6.x
4. Install X-Stream 8.x
5. Make sure all LeCroy drivers are installed correctly.
6. Start X-Stream and restore "Critical files backup".

In case of Windows 7 there's no need to install the old X-Strem 6.x software, just follow Sven's instructions posted on the previous page.
I can hardly see why anyone would use Windows XP on these scopes when Windows 7 works now thanks to Sven's excellent work.

-albertr
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:37:31 pm by albertr »

Offline dxlTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2017, 05:34:23 pm »
I just went thru the same ordeal recently since my scope came without the hard drive. I've created multiple partitions, made my D: volume partition to be the second partition in the partition table (not sure if it's strictly necessary, thou) , assigned the following volume labels:

SYSTEM for C: volume (Windows boot volume)
USERDATA for D: volume (calibration data volume).

If I was to repeat the process I would do the following:

1. Partition the hard drive as above.
2. Install Windoze on C: volume.
3. Install X-Stream 6.x
4. Install X-Stream 8.x
5. Make sure all LeCroy (or Sven's in case of Win 7) drivers are installed correctly.
6. Start X-Stream and restore "Critical files backup".

-albertr

If you use my driver package for win7, you shouldn't need to install 6.x of the X-Stream software - just install 8.x and install the drivers.

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2017, 06:10:09 pm »
If you use my driver package for win7, you shouldn't need to install 6.x of the X-Stream software - just install 8.x and install the drivers.

Right, sorry about it - in case of Win 7 your instructions (posted a couple of pages back) worked for me.

Also, regardless of Windows version, I had to install 4 wire resistive touch screen driver separately. I'm attaching the driver with enclosed instructions I've got from the other board member.

-albertr
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:31:30 pm by albertr »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf