Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 166906 times)

Offline lowtension

• Contributor
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2017, 01:05:33 pm »
Thanks for the information, what is the model number of  the LCD panel with LED backlight you used ?  did you rebuild the old inverter interface for the floressant backlight to drive the LED:s instead?  or you used a seperate  diaplay card with LVDS and LED backligt driver connected to the VGA/hdmi port of the graphic card of the motherboard ?
Thanks again

I believe it's already been covered on this thread. Here it goes again:

I'm using Advantech AIMB-581 board which has two DVI ports (one external, one - internal) and one internal LVDS port paired with Chi Mei Innolux G104X1-L03 1024x768 10.4" LCD screen. Multi-monitor support works with Intel HD graphic. Here're some pictures in case you are interested: http://iral.com/~albertr/WP7K1_LCD_upgrade/

Personally, I wouldn't go higher than 1024x768 (XGA) resolution on a 10.4" size, since IMHO it will become difficult to read the screen and operate the touch screen.

-albertr

Thanks , sorry did not read the previous posts.  Just tried to find one  G104X1-L03 with   10.4" TS 4 wire but did not succeed, can I use the old 10.7" TS from the Lecroy instead on the G104X1-L03?
Kind regards

Offline albertr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:27 am »
It would be much easier to use the size of the panel as the original one (i.e. 10.4" for WP7K), otherwise you will have to deal with front trim fitment issues.  I do have a few G104X1-L03 1024x768 10.4" LCD panel with 4 wire resistive touchscreen still in the original packing from manufacturer which I can sell for $60 a piece + actual shipping costs. If you want one, please drop me a message offline.

-albertr

Offline lowtension

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2017, 09:14:42 pm »
Hello,

I did a fresh install of XP and X-Stream 8.X in my DDA-3000 (WP7300)  , all ok  but have problems with the correct drivers for the GPIB option.  I installed the drives for the PCI-GPIB from NS homepage , they are ok in windows but when starting X-Srteam it gives an error on startup saying : GPIB drives not found.
Is these a special driver to work with X-Stream ?

Thanks

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2017, 10:41:58 am »
Hello,

I did a fresh install of XP and X-Stream 8.X in my DDA-3000 (WP7300)  , all ok  but have problems with the correct drivers for the GPIB option.  I installed the drives for the PCI-GPIB from NS homepage , they are ok in windows but when starting X-Srteam it gives an error on startup saying : GPIB drives not found.

NI drivers don't help because they turn the scope into a controller when it needs to be a device (terminal).

The correct GPIB drivers are part of the X-Stream package (you might have to select them manually). You'll have to fully remove the NI drivers first for the LeCroy drivers to work, though.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2017, 05:33:48 pm »
I'm guessing the EEVBLOG admin must have changed something for you to post again.   No matter.  Good to see you back.   

Offline lowtension

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2017, 07:38:26 am »
Hello,

NI drivers don't help because they turn the scope into a controller when it needs to be a device (terminal).

The correct GPIB drivers are part of the X-Stream package (you might have to select them manually). You'll have to fully remove the NI drivers first for the LeCroy drivers to work, though.

You are completely right,   I have to manually choose the  GPIB adapter drivers during the installation of X-Stream. Thanks for your help  :)  Also, is the DDA-3000 based on WP7300 or WP7300A ?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:40:01 am by lowtension »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2017, 06:46:47 pm »
I'm guessing the EEVBLOG admin must have changed something for you to post again.   No matter.  Good to see you back.

Thanks for the nice words. No admin change, back then I just decided to no longer post, but some nice people asked me to reconsider.

Also, is the DDA-3000 based on WP7300 or WP7300A ?

The DDA3000 was initially based on the WavePro 7300 (and like the WavePro was originally sold running W2k) but later versions were based on the WP7300A. Note that the difference between WP7k and WP7kA are negligible (i.e. different front end where the 'A' variant requires recalibration less often, faster CPU and more RAM, XP instead of W2k, 2x USB instead of floppy) and that a WP7k/early DDA3k can be upgraded to Windows XP.

Offline lowtension

• Contributor
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2017, 08:08:31 am »

Thanks for the nice words. No admin change, back then I just decided to no longer post, but some nice people asked me to reconsider.

Also, is the DDA-3000 based on WP7300 or WP7300A ?

Thanks again for your valuable information and keeping this thread alive again :)

The DDA3000 was initially based on the WavePro 7300 (and like the WavePro was originally sold running W2k) but later versions were based on the WP7300A. Note that the difference between WP7k and WP7kA are negligible (i.e. different front end where the 'A' variant requires recalibration less often, faster CPU and more RAM, XP instead of W2k, 2x USB instead of floppy) and that a WP7k/early DDA3k can be upgraded to Windows XP.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2017, 04:19:33 pm »

'saw this thread a bit late (...)

Just for info: if one plans using an industrial motherboard and in particular the LVDS video connector (assuming you can get your hands on the corresponding LVDS cable...), pay attention to have a board where the BIOS eventually supports inverting the signal that controls the backlight's intensity... with a Kontron board, I had to 'invert' the signal with a little home-made circuit... (not a drama, but if you can avoid it with a BIOS settings...).
Another point is the compatibility of the front panel controller (using a Cypress MCU) with the USB ports on the motherboard, my personal experience shows that anything more recent that Intel's series 6 chipset will NOT work...

And yet another feedback: with a WR6K, I had mixed success with W7 and a quad-core CPU (I7 3770T), I got periodical freezes, requiring hard reset... a Core 2 Duo brought much less problems, but I couldn't isolate the problem to be CPU-bound...

Have fun modding your Lecroy beasts !!

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2017, 05:14:25 pm »

'saw this thread a bit late (...)

Just for info: if one plans using an industrial motherboard and in particular the LVDS video connector (assuming you can get your hands on the corresponding LVDS cable...), pay attention to have a board where the BIOS eventually supports inverting the signal that controls the backlight's intensity... with a Kontron board, I had to 'invert' the signal with a little home-made circuit... (not a drama, but if you can avoid it with a BIOS settings...).
Another point is the compatibility of the front panel controller (using a Cypress MCU) with the USB ports on the motherboard, my personal experience shows that anything more recent that Intel's series 6 chipset will NOT work...

And yet another feedback: with a WR6K, I had mixed success with W7 and a quad-core CPU (I7 3770T), I got periodical freezes, requiring hard reset... a Core 2 Duo brought much less problems, but I couldn't isolate the problem to be CPU-bound...

Have fun modding your Lecroy beasts !!

I've spent some time modding my WR6100A, testing various approaches and platforms and my conclusions are as such:

* bought Asrock IMB-181-L ITX industrial motherboard (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382070632688 - the price is good) and Core i7-4770. The LVDS worked OK, but I didn't check the backlight control pin, just wired 12V and jumpered the control on the CCFL inverted provided by LeCroy (8mA23002 by ERG).
* I've also upgraded the LCD to 8.4" XGA (1024x768), Mitsubishi model AA084XA03, with some rewiring and swapping the connectors the CCFL inverter can power this panel without a trouble. I also bought some random 8.4" resistive 4-wire touch digitizer. This is a big improvement, but unfortunately despite the same display sizes, the mechanical details are different, therefore a lot of butchery of the plastic and metal, both on the panel and LeCroy side was required - not for the faint-hearted (had to disassemble the panel into layers for example or dremel LeCroy's plastics) and doesn't look very pretty inside.
* crappy Iwatsu front panel controller will work with Intel up to Q45 chipset, later the introduction of rate matching hubs messes something up and even plugging old USB hubs inline won't help. There is a way out of this by installing a separate USB controller. In my case it was mini-PCIe card (only left PCIe slot on an ITX board) with µPD720202 USB 3.0 controller and the front panel connected to the USB 2.0 lines. Now the front panel works.
* on the subject of front panel devices, I hate the touch screen chip there (UR7HCTS2-USB), some long obsolete IC for which there is no driver available. It is not provided with X-Stream, LeCroy only provides tbupdd.dll file (no inf files or calib. app) with XStream, which I guess is used by the X-Stream app to launch the calibration app. The drivers are made by a company called Touch-Base (https://touch-base.com/) that develops drivers for various touch screen chips and one can request a trial-driver for a particular chip from them. It works, but every 100 clicks it shows an annoying message. That's why I'm thinking about replacing this chip with Microchip AR1100, it also uses Touch-Base drivers (therefore compatible with X-Stream) but Microchip provides them free of charge.

Now the scope PC is super fast, has high resolution display over LVDS, both front panel and touch screen work, but there is a big elephant (or two) in the room - the PCI interface.

I bought 3 different PCIe to PCI adapters, based on various chipsets, of different mechanical and connectivity approaches. In theory all of them work, but in practice none of them. Some are super crappy mechanically, don't fit reliably. The PCI card works in all of them, gets detected, driver is loaded and beeps and the scope works more or less. Usually with hiccups and error messages, sometimes more, sometimes just SWTriggerThreshold search failed (some errors are only visible in the developer logs). Usually, after the initial errors and after few internal calibration cycles things sort themselves out and the scope works.

My guess it has something to do with shared IRQs and the different way the PCIe interrupts work. Disabling on-board devices that wanted to share the IRQ improved things a bit, but not entirely because well the PCIe-to-PCI adapter chipset shares the same IRQ and there was some other thing (mobo chipset) that I couldn't disable in the BIOS. If the LecS65AcqDrv.sys driver could be rewritten (unlikely) to accommodate for modern PCIe/IRQ approaches (maybe some extra critical sections etc), then I guess the X-Stream app would work without these hiccups.

The second elephant in the room is, well, x32. Not much use of i7-4770 and 8GB of RAM on Windows 7 x32. There seems to be no way around this, even if one, by some miracle, rewrote and recompiled the LecS65AcqDrv.sys driver for x64 then I doubt the 64-bit version of the X-Stream app has the necessary DCOM modules (dlls) for old scopes.

Therefore, I'm leaning towards going back to my intermediate platform (the original LeCroy mobo was leaky and the CPU was a joke) - Intel DQ45CB motherboard with Q9400 and 4GB RAM. Recently, I scored an SDVO-LVDS card so I'll be trying to get the LVDS out of Intel graphics this way. If not I'll have to build some DVI to LVDS contraption and use a short DVI cable loop at the back to feed the front panel LCD from one of the rear DVI ports. Don't want to use monitor scaler boards as this is even messier and I don't know if it would support my particular panel.

If I find some time I want to do a benchmark - measure the trigger rate with some intensive functions turned on, e.g. 24Mpt FFT + math + measurements and compare how much faster i7-4770 (despite running in x32 mode) is over Q9400. If it is much faster then it may be worth to stay on i7-4770 and suffer the hiccups at the X-Stream app startup.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2017, 08:46:38 pm »

as for the (LVDS) cables, I'd some positive experience with

http://en.esskabel.de

They can provide cables in small quantities, and they have qui a nice assortiment... maybe not the best, but here in Europe definitely an address to remember...
I got mine crimped but without connectors attached, that's the most flexible option... a bit boring, but nothing that couldn't be done with a magnifying lamp...

A board with an LVDS connector is definitely the preferred option for such a mod... some now have an internal DP port, but these mostly use chipsets that are not supported by the front panel...  (I also tried a PCIe USB controller for the front panel, without success...) 

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »

as for the (LVDS) cables, I'd some positive experience with

http://en.esskabel.de

They can provide cables in small quantities, and they have qui a nice assortiment... maybe not the best, but here in Europe definitely an address to remember...
I got mine crimped but without connectors attached, that's the most flexible option... a bit boring, but nothing that couldn't be done with a magnifying lamp...
I just got connectors from RS Components/Farnell and crimped the cable myself. Hate making cables and it takes ages, but well I need Qty 1 and cheap. Now I need to make another one because Commell SDVO-LVDS card has the same connector as the Asrock motherboard (DF13-40DP-1.25V) but different pinout  |O

A board with an LVDS connector is definitely the preferred option for such a mod... some now have an internal DP port, but these mostly use chipsets that are not supported by the front panel... 
That's why I was very happy when I found the Asrock IMB-181-L board so cheaply. Other second hand boards with LVDS are either older generation than what was originally in LeCroy (welcome to the "industrial" world) or very expensive or both. That's why I don't have an LVDS equipped board for Core2Quad Q9400, just generic Intel reference design one (something suitable would be for example Commell LV-676 with LGA775 and LVDS and surprise surprise it is only 482 EUR - more than half what I paid for the scope). Therefore, I need to find a different way to get LVDS on Core2Quad, either this SDVO-LVDS card, my own DVI to LVDS converter out of 2 TI chips or a monitor scaler board.

(I also tried a PCIe USB controller for the front panel, without success...)
This combo works for me:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322544410608
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322544499602

Beware of USB 2.0 mini-PCIe cards - these are not controllers, just hubs using the USB 2.0 lines in the mini-PCIe connector.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »

If someone's interested, I might have some KTQ45 board(s) (flex format) from Kontron that fit perfectly into WR6Ks...
Definitely not the cheapest provider of industrial mob's, but almost none has that level of support...
I got also some board from BCM with an LVDS connector, but I think that one had the USB problem... I'll try with the controllers mentioned...

My WR6K lies disassembled in a drawer... but I feel this thread has given me the will to give it another try...  ;-)
And I liked that one (yet it's "only" the WR6050...), as it had ALL options enabled...

Offline steven4601

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2017, 08:34:35 am »
First Time poster on this Forum,

I like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. My upgrade went almost flawless.
My setup:
Wavepro 7200A
Asus P85M-e
Intel G3258
2x 2GB ram
Ipad 9.7 retina screen with abusemark eDP adapter.

Somehow, the Touch Screen does not work. I know the Touch panel works, as i can open the com Port in putty and touching the glas produces strings of characters (unreadable).

Windows & lecroy dso software does not recognized it.

I tried changing the com Port number from 3 to 1 but No result.

Is IT possible that the latest dso package from lecroy Missing some drivers?

//Steven

Offline steven4601

• Contributor
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2017, 05:38:53 am »
Finally  found the right touch driver for the wp7200A

It's a 3m technology SC4 compatible digitizer. The markings on the chip are meaningless somehow. (RES4CHPSMT)
Tried Touch base updd driver  version 3.8.xx with success.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2017, 05:16:07 pm »
Finally  found the right touch driver for the wp7200A

It's a 3m technology SC4 compatible digitizer. The markings on the chip are meaningless somehow. (RES4CHPSMT)
Tried Touch base updd driver  version 3.8.xx with success.

Where did you find the full version? Or just the trial provided by Touch Base (http://touch-base.com/download.asp)? I'm still looking for the full version driver for UR7HCTS2-USB.

Offline steven4601

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2017, 07:27:30 pm »
When I figured out what 'protocol' the touch screen digitizer spoke, "SC4" in my case, I found out touch base supported it.
Additionally I tried to rip the old driver from the original windows xp installation but (doube driver, the application i tried to extract the driver) that didn't yield a functional set of files.

Digging even further brought up a website with legacy drivers :
http://solutions.3mitalia.it/wps/portal/3M/it_IT/TouchSystems/TouchScreen/Information/LegacyDocuments/

hope this helps.  :-+

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Johnswenson

« Reply #193 on: October 05, 2017, 03:13:19 am »
I just bought a Wavepro 7300 off of ebay, and found it does not show traces. I talked to Lecroy and they said it was the connection from the ADC module working loose in the PCI slot, just take the cover off and re-seat it. Unfortunately I have no idea how to take the top cover off.

I took the big handle off, the feet on the back and all the screws I can find and the top cover still will not come off.

I see lots of you have done this, so could someone please tell me how to take the top cover off.

BTW I want to use this for  awhile as is before attempting upgrades, but I probably will be doing that in the future.

Thanks,

John S.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 05, 2017, 03:36:20 am »
You actually don't need to take the big handle off.

Pop off the rubber covers on the feet and remove the screws from the center.  Now flip the instrument upside down and back-out or remove the screws holding the bottom of the front panel frame down.   Gently pull the front panel frame off from the bottom and you will find a few more screws holding the case cover down that were hidden under the front panel frame.  Now you can remove the cover.

Offline Johnswenson

« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2017, 05:08:50 am »
Thanks, that did it. I was sure the flimsy thing was going to crack, but a lot of careful wiggling got it off.

Thanks again,

John S.

Offline Johnswenson

« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2017, 07:17:02 am »
I got the cover off, took the board out and put it back in. No difference. Took it out and cleaned the contacts on the board, put it back in.

This time Win2k did a new hardware check and installed a bunch of drivers.

Still no trace, but now I don't get calibrating all the time. So it looked like something changed, like now windows sees the card, but maybe didn't get the correct driver installed.

In device manager there is a driver for XStream DSO Devices, but when I click on details it says it is from Microsoft.

Is this the correct driver? Should I have it load a specific driver?

Thanks,

John S.

Offline Johnswenson

« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:56 am »
I'm not sure what happened, but after another reboot it is now working!

Thanks,

John S.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:10 am »
Wow, I'm surprised that was all it took to get it going.  Congratulations!

For your reference, the driver for the card is what's known as a multifunction device driver -- not to be confused with a multifunction PCI card as the interface card is only a single function.

What it means, though, is that multiple drivers can attach to the same piece of hardware.  The base driver is the one supplied by Microsoft, mf.sys for multi-function.  What you're seeing is totally normal.

In the device manager, select View->Show Hidden Devices and you should see all the LeCroy devices associated with the acquisition card.

Offline smartboy123

« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2018, 11:04:02 am »

Where did you find the full version? Or just the trial provided by Touch Base (http://touch-base.com/download.asp)? I'm still looking for the full version driver for UR7HCTS2-USB.

Did you find the UR7HCTS2-USB driver? I can only download a trial version for my 6100A scope from touch-base website.
If you have, could you share with me?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf