Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 168516 times)

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2018, 01:28:53 am »
Everything is not so difficult. You do not need to pay attention to this Chi Mei Innolux G104X1-L03 lcd matrix (what was shown in the link), since NEC manufactures a whole range of 1024x768 LCD displays that have a standard mount that is no different from the standard LeCroy WP7K NL8060BC26 800x600 display. I used the LCD-matrix NL10276BC20. Thus - no need to drill. Simply connect this matrix to the motherboard (aimb-581 or aimb-582) with one cable.
The 1024x768 format is optimal for LeCroy. The font is not too small, look at my photos in the attachment.

how about buying a 3d printer and print it. i can help you with cad if you dont know how, but i only have my sda as reference, you'll need to print it in pieces one by one since it is big and glue, polish and paint later on.
If you do, it would be great. And it would be useful to many people. At the same time, I understand that this requires a lot of time and experience.
Other options for manufacturing the front panel, I could not find. For the imprint in the form, I turned to one company that is engaged in the production of musical instruments, but they replied that it was too difficult for them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:00:25 pm by Converter »

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2018, 02:04:03 am »
Everything is not so difficult.
yes with proper source of guidance and motivation.

..The 1024x768 format is optimal for LeCroy. The font is not too small, look at my photos in the attachment.
thanks for the suggestion :-+ i will keep that in mind for the next upgrade. but for now i will continue with the set course, as the most expensive part in the planned mod already on its way. i'll see about this.. and used D865GSA still available many for sale in ebay so digging the fossil is not so that hard. but at ridiculosly expensive price surprisingly mostly from China, more expensive than new modern MoBo, i dont know what they are thinking. there is another one guy from Latvia selling it at cheap for now, other than the one i'm getting.

If you do, it would be great. And it would be useful to many people. At the same time, I understand that this requires a lot of time and experience.
Other options for manufacturing the front panel, I could not find. For the imprint in the form, I turned to one company that is engaged in the production of musical instruments, but they replied that it was too difficult for them.
i think it can be done by cutting and gluing from plastic (or perspex) flat panels, grinding polishing filling polishing again and painting etc. but it will need some skills and motivation, most importantly motivation as you said "Everything is not so difficult". i just dont have more motivation to be more intrusive to my unit, that one "was" an unaffordably expensive unit, even now i dont think i can get the price i paid for it again, that need some begging effort and luck, i'm experiencing some over budget financial damage already. and the mod is not so urgent, so there's no need to push really hard. i can get by even without doing it, the existing GUI performance is acceptable so far, far better than my laggy DS1054Z. (except the windows startup time and auto-calibration-process which is new to me and confirmed by more experienced people earlier)

anyway just tell me if you have access to 3d printing service, i'll do 3d modelling of it (if you cant, if you can then its better ;D) gain on your part will be my motivation ;) it should not be too difficult about an hour or two if i'm not occupied with other stuffs. and then the most important part is it'll need to be customized for your printing machine that i have no knowledge about, esp how many split do we have to do, that will be based on printing area limit, if printer is large enough or you hire professional printing service, then i think no need to do the split. and if the software cant generate overhang support, i can do that as well, if it does, then i dont have to. if you ask at the right time you may get it quick, if not you may get it next year, time is never be enough :P
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:33:33 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2018, 03:10:04 pm »
Hello,
I think that there is no problem in ordering a printout from any company with a large printer. But the job of creating a digital 3D image costs a lot of money. Therefore, if you do this, your help will be invaluable! If the printer cannot print the entire part at once, then I think it will not be a problem for any 3D printing company to divide the 3D image into several parts.
Can you really do this?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: December 20, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »
I think that there is no problem in ordering a printout from any company with a large printer...
Can you really do this?
here we go... i believe there are some differences in dimensions and shapes, esp the curves, so i dont think i infringe anybody's patent ;) i punched in the model in shapeways and it said $100+ ... i was also thinking about the front cover as well but... its sleep time and there's better option, ebay for anyone who need it... fwiw...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lecory-Front-cover-for-LeCroy-LC-Series-LC574A-Digital-Oscilloscope/261286171112?hash=item3cd5de91e8:g:ae4AAOSwBt5ZE5uR:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LECROY-FACE-PLATE-PROTECTIVE-COVER-LID-TOP-15-75-X-9-125/173675862726?hash=item286fe35ac6:g:aAIAAOSw-nZTn2O1:rk:1:pf:0
mine doesnt have that LeCroy emblem, $472 shipping to Malaysia |O

edit: attachment pictures and 3d files removed. use latest version at Reply #258 instead...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:48:01 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: Converter, DaJMasta

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2018, 01:44:52 am »
Thank you so much. It’s just incredible how quickly you did it. 3D image of the power button is also very useful.
But still need one detail - a plastic insert with the logo LeCroy.

Also, quite often the problem is the hind legs, which are very weak for such an instrument weight.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:00:41 am by Converter »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2018, 02:06:33 am »
But still need one detail - a plastic insert with the logo LeCroy.
thats a sticker you can put on the front panel. notice the hole on top? thats where you put it. if you dont have that, it can easily made from anything, or simply just print LeCroy name on sticky paper. modelling it for 3d printing is not much point, that thing is too small for that. you also will need another sticker for your dso name on the bottom of the monitor. i've put recess there, just like the original panel has, so you can know the size.

Also, quite often the problem is the hind legs, which are very weak for such an instrument weight.
why. you dont have that too? mine is slightly broken on two legs, the other 2 are still 100% ok. guess what i did to all of them before anything worst happen? see attached picture..

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2018, 02:32:03 am »
Yes, this is the right decision. I also thought to do it. But sometimes it happens that there are no legs at all, even at the time of purchase. And sometimes it happens that after the breakage some fragments of the legs disappear, so it is impossible to strengthen, as shown in your photo.

As for Logo LeCroy. Perhaps this detail is too small for satisfactory printing on a conventional 3D printer. But two-dimensional printing for this part does not fit the same, because this part is tridimensional.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2018, 06:45:31 pm »
here's the updated version of approximated WP/WM 3D parts. earlier version removed...
disclaimer: i believe there are some differences in dimensions and shapes, esp the curves, so i dont think i infringe anybody's patent ;)
fwiw...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:40:38 pm by Mechatrommer »

The following users thanked this post: lukier, Converter, Xtreemtec

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2018, 07:04:24 pm »
You create a miracle! Thank you very much. And I think that all those whom you have helped will join this. :-+
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:06:39 pm by Converter »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2018, 07:48:20 pm »
Patent wise I think you'd only run into an issue with the LeCroy logo, if anything, since it's assuredly a trademark.  Hopefully they won't bother with small fish not profiting from it.

Really nice looking work though, and I'm almost certainly going to get some printed up at some point - the front panels and feet seem to be extremely commonly broken, and even if it was just a plain gray plastic with no lettering, having the front panel and not exposed pieces everywhere is a huge upgrade from the bare front panel in looks and protection.  It seems there are a number of scopes with these parts that are entering the used market and becoming affordable for hobbyists, and having a source of some replacement plastics should help keep them running and looking good for a long time to come.  :-+

Offline Xtreemtec

« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2018, 02:06:24 pm »
Heey Guys, New here, So much GREAT info gathered here,     Got our Lecroy Wavepro 7300 yesterday from Ebay.    Machine had a damaged Windows 2000 boot fault.   

Pulled a full bit to bit copy from the harddrive to Save the data on the drive and also have all the data that belongs on the D drive (Calibration Data).

Tryed to recover the WIN2000 boot but can not recover it.  So we went ahead with a fresh new install of Win 2000 Pro on our Clone drive.   
But i remember something reading in this topic about Username LeCroy    but how about Full Name, Company name, Machine Name? 

I was about to come bearing with gifts.  (Our feet broke in transit,  So i made a 3D STL file yesterday evening.)  Just to find out opening this topic since last week that MechaTrommer has beat me to it..  Hahaha..  :-+ :-+

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 02:09:15 pm by Xtreemtec »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2018, 03:16:17 pm »
:-+ dont forget to search around eevblog for Lecroy SW/OS upgrade, installing from fresh disk, Win7, and err... getting licenses from "LeCroys" ® to add SW options. for HW upgrade, this thread is the nuttest. welcome to the forum we are the minority of used Lecroy owners ;), even though minority, but the informations is there, from very good people that contribute.

Offline Xtreemtec

« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2018, 09:23:22 pm »
:-+ dont forget to search around eevblog for Lecroy SW/OS upgrade, installing from fresh disk, Win7, and err...
Sure thing, I'm moderator at 2 other forums so i know were the search button is lurking  :-+

///  ================================================================================================================   ///

As with a new motherboard you also have to install the software i try my luck in this topic.  Maybe someone reading in on this topic knows the solution.

So after an evening tinkering we got the unit online with the original hardware.  Intel board had 3 Blown cap's. Repaired that. 
Had struggles with Win2000, got SP 4 installed,
Installed all original Intel drivers that are on the Intel website for this motherboard.   Including the Intel Extreme Graphic Driver for 845 chipset V6.14.10.3762

This is were the troubles starts.  As soon as the driver is installed and the machine does it's reboot. The front LCD Ghosts away at the point of windows starting it's welcome screen.
And stays dark.   When booting with an external monitor to the VGA port and without the AGP card inserted we are able to get an image and even start the Xstream Software and run the scope.   
So we guess or the Intel driver we have is faulty, or the settings are not ok for the front LCD. 
When we de-install the Intel driver we are able to run the front LCD in windows in 640x480 at 16 colors.  But of coarse this is not able to run the software of 16 colors.

So all in all we revived a LeCroy from the death.  All because the great info in this topic, so we were quite positive that we were able to revive it.
But missing that 1 piece of driver / setting to get it up and running with the build in screen again. :-BROKE

We will upgrade the hardware in the future.  But we bought the scope as we need to do measurements on 3Ghz in the next couple of weeks to get a Hardware design up and running.   If that product is out the door.  We will possible go for a Win7  i3 / i5 setup with Ipad front screen.    8) ;D

To our surprise the machine was loaded with options.   DFP2  ENET  ET  I2C  JTA2  PMA2  SDM  SPI  USB2  XDEV  XMAP  XMATH      :wtf:      Hardware option -M so small memory package..

///  ================================================================================================================   ///

For the feet. The printing was very successful  ^-^    It got really good strength due too the design being "Solid" with that Honeycomb, which makes it much more strength then the open structure of the original feet.
Printing 4 of them took about 5 hours with our Flashforge Finder printer and takes about 20 meters of PLA material.
You need to add some support material underneath with the slicing program of the 3D printer.   But anyone that is used to run a 3D printer knows how.   Also the best results are gone with a Raft underneath the object.
Here some photos and i hope that i can include the zip file as new user.   ;)

The following users thanked this post: Converter

Offline Kirkhaan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #263 on: December 29, 2018, 10:00:31 pm »

As with a new motherboard you also have to install the software i try my luck in this topic.  Maybe someone reading in on this topic knows the solution.

So after an evening tinkering we got the unit online with the original hardware.  Intel board had 3 Blown cap's. Repaired that. 
Had struggles with Win2000, got SP 4 installed,
Installed all original Intel drivers that are on the Intel website for this motherboard.   Including the Intel Extreme Graphic Driver for 845 chipset V6.14.10.3762

This is were the troubles starts.  As soon as the driver is installed and the machine does it's reboot. The front LCD Ghosts away at the point of windows starting it's welcome screen.
And stays dark.   When booting with an external monitor to the VGA port and without the AGP card inserted we are able to get an image and even start the Xstream Software and run the scope.   
So we guess or the Intel driver we have is faulty, or the settings are not ok for the front LCD. 
When we de-install the Intel driver we are able to run the front LCD in windows in 640x480 at 16 colors.  But of coarse this is not able to run the software of 16 colors.

So all in all we revived a LeCroy from the death.  All because the great info in this topic, so we were quite positive that we were able to revive it.
But missing that 1 piece of driver / setting to get it up and running with the build in screen again. :-BROKE

I had similar issue with the Intel D865GLC motherboard in my WaverRunner 6030A after installing the OS (in my case Windows XP) on a new HDD.
In the end I replaced the Intel MB with a spare Asrock P4i65G that I had laying around. This solved the issue for me.

Just to double check: you have set AGP to main display in the BIOS I assume?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2018, 06:21:20 am »
I was once I too had chores with mounting design, when installed a different matrix to TLA704 logic analyzer.
few days ago i realized Tektronix TLA714 Logic Analyzer uses NL8060AC26-11 monitor. from looking at the datasheet, its pin compatible with Lecroy DSO monitor NL8060BC26-17, fwiw...

https://4donline.ihs.com/images/VipMasterIC/IC/RNCC/RNCCS09440/RNCCS09440-1.pdf?hkey=EF798316E3902B6ED9A73243A3159BB0
http://www.spectrah.com/product/lcd_panel/nec_lcd_panel/nec_NL8060BC26-17_tft_color_lcd_module_specification_preliminary.pdf

currently waiting a NL8060BC26-17 monitor to come because i want to get rid of the green vertical line on the lecroy original monitor.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »
few days ago i realized Tektronix TLA714 Logic Analyzer uses NL8060AC26-11 monitor. from looking at the datasheet, its pin compatible with Lecroy DSO monitor NL8060BC26-17, fwiw...
Yes, but "BC" is better. I did find some difference. However, you really can not feel this.
Sometimes Tektronix TLA is cheaper than a new lcd-matrix :).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:25:07 pm by Converter »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2018, 03:46:57 pm »
In my LeCroy WaveRunner Xi, the NL8060BC26-27 matrix is installed. This lcd has even better specifications. But its installation in WP7K have problems with displacement connector (DF9-41P).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:40:24 pm by Converter »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2018, 06:05:17 pm »
The video system WaveRunner Xi built into the motherboard (Intel Montara-GM+ i855GME) supports many resolution formats (the photo also shows the optional lvds-to-ttl interface converter card). Therefore, there is no difficulty in installing a 1024x768 matrix there. I wonder why nobody has done this before this time. I have already ordered some items and will soon make this upgrade.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:15:08 pm by Converter »

Offline Xtreemtec

« Reply #268 on: December 30, 2018, 08:23:52 pm »
Well we could not get the flatpanel up and running again in Win2K except for 640x480 were Xstream would not run.     
But after 2 days of good running the Scope with an external monitor, it decided today to hiccup again in Win2K. making some boot error.  :-BROKE

So i opted to install win XP and try this.  And it went perfect.  No issues, screen is filing now at the correct width and height.   :-+

Only thing we do not get to work still. (But did not run in win2k either) is the Touchscreen.  While loading Xstream we get a message "disabled touchscreen" ,, "Touchscreen driver can not beloaded"  followed by "could not start USB2 application"
We have installed Xstream V 6.8.1.4  as this version is on the D drive as an installer.   I have read that newer versions of the software do not install all necessary drivers anymore for these older units. 
But V6.8 is right in the ballpark others say V6.x does install the drivers.    So i have seen a lot of Touchscreen drivers floating around in this topic.  But which will work for the original touchscreen setup from factory??

So for our hardware upgrade i plowed trough this topic and gathered all useful information into 1 word document.  Highlighted all motherboards used by users here.
Made a list of motherboards that are in my eyes good options and still able to find out there.. 

Asrock H97M Pro4          $80 second hand     >>   Converter uses this one
Asus B85M-e                  $60 second hand     >>   Steven4601      I guess it is a B85.  He says in his post a P85.  But this model does not exist with Asus.
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V  $69 second hand     >>  Russian E39
Advantech AIMB-581      $275 New from factory.    >> Albertr and Ollopa.   

As the Advantech is the only motherboard that you are able to pick up new. We lean to this option.    Because on the Intel board we already had 3 Blown caps.  Don't want to repair another motherboard in 2 years or so.       Also the Advantech does have that internal DVI connector. Which is quite appealing when you want to convert the screen to and do not want to run a cable trough the back end for the monitor.
So i guess we will start harvesting parts for an upgrade too.  :D

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:43:38 pm by Xtreemtec »

Offline Xtreemtec

« Reply #269 on: December 30, 2018, 08:40:33 pm »
I've looked some more into my relay-click-and-processing-delay-on-every-acquisition issue and I think it's pointing more and more towards software, but I'm not certain how to go about fixing it yet.

I suspected the PCI interface card because the processing delay and front panel lights flashing could have been linked to issues there, but swapping for a known-good one in a WP7200 yielded the same results.  I dove into the user manual to try to find things that could do it, so i suspected it getting stuck in sequence mode, and it wasn't, though the delay in loading is somewhat similar in some cases - just without the relay click.  I also found that when set to roll mode the relay doesn't click and the scope behaves exactly as the working WP7200.  Then I went through some variables in the X-Stream browser, and I found that in the root of the acquisition top level folder is a CalNeeded variable, which on the unit with the issue is set to 15 whereas the working WP7200 has it set to 0.  I tried setting the value to zero, but it doesn't seem to allow editing it, though some others can be changed.

Since the self calibration also involves relay clocking and a second or two, I suspect this setting is forcing a recalibration with every new acquisition, and maybe this instrument was part of an automated system that required that in its former life... but I haven't yet found how to change this value.  I don't see any error messages or reports in the packaged diagnostic logs that indicate missing calibration data.  The automation manual mentions it and shows VB script that can change it (or at least read it?), but I'm hoping there's another edit I can make or LXI command I can give to set it to see if it fixes the issue.
We have the same effect, Every channel you enable it needs to calibrate first for a few seconds,  When you turn the voltage it goes calibrating again. 

I've looked some more into my relay-click-and-processing-delay-on-every-acquisition issue and I think it's pointing more and more towards software, but I'm not certain how to go about fixing it yet.
my SDA (based on WM8K i think) do this calibration-processing when i change vertical V/div scale (each time change iirc even when i get back to previous scale) and on few timescale changes a click, but when i stick to the same vertical and horizontal scale setting, calibration wont click again. i guess this is how it works? i read comments of free_electron on how annoying it is to him, he even complained this to lecroy to no effect. there's menu in utilities iirc to disable this calibration process, if i disable it, i got fewer clicks but it still clicks sometime. according to manual/text, it will click when there is temperature changes, so maybe this is an issue if we get frequent clicks? not sure. mine is a used one so i dont know how it was when new.
Well i found the option in Utilities > Prefference Setup  Automatic calibration if temperature change occurs.   But if we turn it off we do not see a difference either.     So this problem may be rooted deeper into the software.  Or is the way this device works as Mechatrommer says.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #270 on: December 30, 2018, 10:04:56 pm »
Well i found the option in Utilities > Prefference Setup  Automatic calibration if temperature change occurs.   But if we turn it off we do not see a difference either.     So this problem may be rooted deeper into the software.  Or is the way this device works as Mechatrommer says.
I think that this is not a problem, but the intention of the developer LeCroy. But, really, it would be nice to turn it off.

Offline PnpNpn

• Contributor
« Reply #271 on: December 30, 2018, 11:58:20 pm »
here's the updated version of approximated WP/WM 3D parts. earlier version removed...
disclaimer: i believe there are some differences in dimensions and shapes, esp the curves, so i dont think i infringe anybody's patent ;)
i've also added them into my thingiverse collection... https://www.thingiverse.com/soasystem/designs
fwiw...

In which program did you make a model ?
Did you use a 3D scanner? Or a measuring arm, the table?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #272 on: December 31, 2018, 04:29:10 am »
I think that this is not a problem, but the intention of the developer LeCroy. But, really, it would be nice to turn it off.

I.... doubt that.  I have a WavePro 7200  running the same software that works exactly like any other normal scope, and while I'm sure there's a difference, the frontend of each look the same and there is no special thermal drift compensation on either model in hardware that I can see.  The WP 7200 that works properly will calibrate initially and then can every few minutes, maybe, with drift - as a spectrum analyzer or similar often does.

In any case, I haven't had time to look deeper, but I think the key pointer towards an error is a CalNeeded value of 15.  At least in the xstream documentation, they only describe CalNeeded values up to 8, and the one that works properly reports 0 (as it should when not needing drift compensation).  My guess is that either there's something wrong with the cal routine that is not being reported as an error (maybe it's drifted outside of the actual calibration parameters plus a maximum tolerance), or that the scope somehow got 15 into that value and simply can't get it out, forcing a full recalibration every acquisition.  My plan is to have a more detailed look through the diagnostic logs to see any mention of calibration stuff, I've already tried writing a startup script that reports the CalNeeded value, runs the calibration routine, and then immediately reports it again - and running the calibration routine did not change the value.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2018, 05:43:31 am »
I had a lot of these devices series WP7K. But they all behaved the same way. If a method were known to perform a full automatic calibration while preserving the calibration coefficients in the instrument's memory (as with products from other manufacturers), this would clarify the situation.

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #274 on: December 31, 2018, 09:00:57 am »
[...]I think the key pointer towards an error is a CalNeeded value of 15.  At least in the xstream documentation, they only describe CalNeeded values up to 8, and the one that works properly reports 0 (as it should when not needing drift compensation).

The documentation isn't very clear but I'm sure that it is actually a bit field based on the fact that all the listed numbers are powers of 2 and they mention the cal needed is based on the "bit value":
Based on hexadecimal bit value, it provides following information:
0x00000001: Front end calibration is required
0x00000002: Digitizers delay matching is required
0x00000004: Digitizers gain matching is required
0x00000008: Trigger level calibration is required
0xFFFFFFFF(-1): All of above calibrations are required

15 would be 8+4+2+1 so I would interpret it as meaning all the listed calibrations are needed.  As a programmer I would also just OR the bits together and arrive at 15 to mean all bits are set.  It would take an additional check to change that to -1 which would require a hard-coded comparison value that would not be very reliable across different instrument families, so I doubt they mean (in the above documentation) that ONLY a value of -1 can mean all calibrations are required.  They probably just initialize the status variable to -1 and are saying that in a corner-case where -1 is read back that can be interpreted as all calibrations need to be run.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf