Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 166889 times)

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #325 on: March 13, 2019, 09:14:35 pm »
Obviously, as I said, here you cannot replace the fans with others that have less performance (if you replace them, then only with ones that are not inferior to these). LeСroy knowingly uses high-performance fans..

But I suppose that not everything is hopeless if you make use of larger diameter fans.
In this case, I recommend to look in the direction of the fan Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000.
This product is not inferior in performance ROTRON GL12B3, but you get 12.3 dB less acoustic noise.

If the data from their datasheets are reliable, then let's compare them:

Noctua has Max Airflow: 158.5 CFM (269.3 m³/h) at 3000 RPM, versus Rotron - 150.00 CFM at 3300 RPM;
Noctua Max Pressure: 0.414 in H₂O (10,52 mm H₂O), Rotron - 0.56 in H₂O (slightly more);
Noctua Acoustical noise 41.3 dB(A), Rotron - 53.6 dB(A);
Noctua Max. input current 0.55 A, Rotron - 1.30 A;
Noctua MTTF> 150,000 h, Rotron - 75,000 h;
Noctua Size 140x140x25 mm, Rotron - 127x127x38 mm

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:36:33 pm by Converter »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2019, 12:56:40 am »
A thoughtful analysis of the specifications of different models of fans led me to the conclusion that there is only one way to reduce acoustic noise and at the same time not to lose performance - this is an increase in the useful area of ​​the fan blades.
yes this is the de facto standard, science 101. but using larger fan will have space penalty. if larger fan still can fit inside the casing then thats good, but we still need adapter as you said, some conical type or something. i'm thinking of using 3-5 quieter fans from outside and have ducted system (3D printed again? ::)) to bring all the accumulated air into the hole blowing the acq module. 2 holes means 10 fans but this will be a hard cored modification level you'll have a dso with extra depth at behind and have rear casing hole-punched violently for the ducts.

At the same time, in order to maintain the same level of performance, the fan rotational speed can be reduced, which will reduce acoustic noise. But you need to be careful, because the reduction in speed leads to a decrease in static pressure, which also depends on the design of the fan blades (you were probably observant and noticed earlier that small fans emit more noise to achieve the same performance as large fans?).
I have already made initial preparations for this experiment, as well as my way of implementing this principle, you can see in the photo below.
if you are thinking stacking 2 fans together one on top of the other, i've tried that earlier, i got twice the current consumption, but no noticeable (or very slight increase) in air flow. measured with my cheapy anemometer. but maybe thats me, you may have some success... due to that, i also ordering this from the same seller earlier...
https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/DELTA-GFB0912EHG-Cooling-Fan-DC-12V-2-1A-92mm-x-92mm-x-50mm/273687846565?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
he got many fans option, so i ordered a few, i wish i can buy more but money is limitation. its counter rotating double fan from the look it has 8 pins i guess 4 pins for each fan. but at 2A, that will be a nasty fan i dont think its suitable for the dso, i only bought it for experimentation and possibility for other project.

if you noticed the 120mm 0.22A fan i linked earlier is 9 blades instead of 7, thats why i bought it to see how more blades fan performs. google doesnt give me definitive answer. ymmv..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2019, 02:14:01 am »
On my WP7KA the MAX6651 system fan settings are:

SPEED:    0x00
CONFIG:   0x3a   Open loop operation, 12V tach signal, scale = divide by 4
GPIO_DEF: 0x25   GPIO0=/ALERT output, GPIO1=/FULL_ON input, GPIO2-4 = output logic low
DAC:      0x33   Open-loop fan speed
AL_EN:    0x03   MIN and MAX output alarms enabled *See note
ALARM:    0x00
TACHO_0:  0x4c
TACHO_1:  0x01
TACHO_2:  0x01
TACHO_3:  0x01
GPIO_S:   0x03  GPIO0, GPIO1 status high
COUNT:    0x02
RPM: 2280

And please note:
Alarm-Enable and Status Registers
The alarms are enabled only when the appropriate bits of
the Alarm-Enable Register are set (Table 7). The maximum
and minimum output level alarms function only
when the device is configured to operate in the closed loop
mode
(see the Configuration-Byte Register section).

So the alarms, despite being enabled, will not function in open-loop mode.

I don't think your MAX6651 reset is normal, nor do I believe it's being intentionally reset by mysterious means.
The /ALERT output being wired to the /FULL_ON output is normal.  In fact the MAX6651 is designed so that all the MAX6651's in the system tie their /ALERT and /FULL_ON signals together so that an alarm on any one fan causes all the fans in the system to go to full-speed.  The outputs are open-drain so there won't be any conflicts.  You said this is weirdness on LeCroy's part but it's actually described in the Maxim datasheet.

I'd be very surprised if pulling the /FULL_ON node low caused the chip to reset or changed the CONFIG register, but I'll admit I havnen't tried it yet to to find out.  Still you could just probe the node and prove to yourself that the alarm has nothing to do with this.

Did you probe the chip Vcc with a scope for an extended time to catch any brief brownouts that might reset it?  My MAX6651 appears to be configured just like yours but it runs all day without ever resetting.  I still suspect that something is periodically changing the load on your power rails and resetting the fan controllers or there is some other similar hardware issue going on.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #328 on: March 14, 2019, 02:49:25 am »
if you are thinking stacking 2 fans together one on top of the other, i've tried that earlier, i got twice the current consumption, but no noticeable (or very slight increase) in air flow.

Hi Mechatrommer,
In no case. I do not plan any sequential stacking of fans. After all, I clearly explained my concept: I use an increase in the working area of ​​the opening inside the fan while reducing the rotor speed.

The cascade twin-shaft pump which you showed (2 fans with different directions of rotation in one long pipe) even in case of lower performance will create much more noise than the original LeCroy fans due to severe air breaks, turbulence, so the goal of this upgrade will be lost. Such sequential fan stages are not designed to produce low noise, but only to increase the static pressure. I have never offered anything like this. In my post above, I explained in detail (including specifications) what I mean. In my photos you could see that the conical adapter for the 140mm fan is not a problem for placement inside this spacious LeCroy's box.

if you noticed the 120mm 0.22A fan i linked earlier is 9 blades instead of 7, thats why i bought it to see how more blades fan performs. google doesnt give me definitive answer.
No, changing the number of blades inside a single fan does not directly affect its amount of radiated noise, or its performance, just make sure of it, looking at the specifications and the results of comparative tests, which are published a lot on the Internet..
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:15:14 am by Converter »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #329 on: March 14, 2019, 04:06:34 am »
Worth mentioning that using a reducer has its issues as well, if it's too short (not these, but the like <1cm high ones), it can create extra turbulence and reduce flow while increasing noise, but in any case, because of the smaller aperture on the side that's connecting to the chassis, performance is much more dependent on static air pressure than the same fan on a properly sized mounting hole.  Then it sort of depends on the air resistance of the system you're pushing air into - the density of the heatsinks, the objects in the path, the size of the vents - if they're too resistant, you will need higher static pressure rating to get the full air flow, and the reducer effectively adds to that total resistance when using a larger fan.  If the static pressure is high enough, it's all good, but it would need to be higher than the static pressure rating of the original fan to perform to its full specification in terms of flow rate if the original fan only produced "enough" static pressure to operate at its specified flow rate.

I don't have the experience measuring it to really quantify by how much, but I'd venture to say that 140mm Noctua mentioned a few posts above would actually perform slightly worse than the original 120mm fan, since its rated CFM is only marginally higher and the static pressure is considerably lower, though the noise level would be less.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: March 14, 2019, 04:32:07 am »
In no case. I do not plan any sequential stacking of fans. After all, I clearly explained my concept: I use an increase in the working area of ​​the opening inside the fan while reducing the rotor speed.
sorry for misunderstanding, but i just looking at your pictures below.

The cascade twin-shaft pump which you showed (2 fans with different directions of rotation in one long pipe) even in case of lower performance will create much more noise than the original LeCroy fans due to severe air breaks, turbulence, so the goal of this upgrade will be lost. Such sequential fan stages are not designed to produce low noise, but only to increase the static pressure. I have never offered anything like this.
i clearly stated its a nasty fan, not suitable for this dso project and only be used for other purpose.

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #331 on: March 14, 2019, 04:58:14 am »

I don't have the experience measuring it to really quantify by how much, but I'd venture to say that 140mm Noctua mentioned a few posts above would actually perform slightly worse than the original 120mm fan, since its rated CFM is only marginally higher and the static pressure is considerably lower, though the noise level would be less.
And who can take responsibility to say for sure - to what extent this device creates resistance to flow and which of these two parameters (Airflow or Pressure) will have a greater effect? In addition, we do not know the Airflow proportionality chart from Pressure for these two fan models and cannot analyze them in a real situation (it is possible that Noctua will overtake Rotron under some conditions).
This will only show the experiment.
The fans in the example mentioned above may well demonstrate the same efficiency (after all, they both create outstanding pressure value which may be excessive in both models for this case), but Noctua will create less noise.

The cross-section of the conical adapter in the 120-mm linking plane is no less than the section in the opening area of the 140mm fan, because in the sectional plane of the fan the motor displaces part of the volume. A well-designed conical adapter (with a smooth transition) will not add noise.

sorry for misunderstanding, but i just looking at your pictures below.
Not problem, I just showed the photo to compare the size ;)
Thermalright TY-143 (2500 rpm) on rolling bearings is one of the interesting low-cost alternatives to a high-performance fan. They are said to have been copied from Noctua.
It has mounting holes, located as in a 120mm fan - this can simplify their installation in Lecroy.

I have seen many pre-made templates for fan adapters.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=fan+adapter&dwh=485c89ec8f26c34
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21112
In our case, it seems more suitable adapter with a slight shift to the right and toward the center of the case.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/?action=dlattach;attach=674916;image
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:08:08 am by Converter »

Offline bnz

• Contributor
« Reply #332 on: March 14, 2019, 08:44:46 am »
How do I remove the upper cover of the DDA3000?
Unscrew the rear feet and then ... :-//

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: March 14, 2019, 11:35:36 am »
unscrew the front panel bezel, thats 3 screw underneath. with the bezel off, you should see 7 screws on the casing, 3 on top, 4 on both sides.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #334 on: March 15, 2019, 10:15:37 pm »
Now i looked little bit more onto the IO board of our SDA6020.
U5 is a watchdog controller MAX6369KA-T (Mark: AADC). R10 to R12 are its setup resistors and on my board they are all connected to +3V3, which means startup delay time of 60 .. 180 seconds and watchdog timeout of 10 .. 30 seconds.
Its input is driven by the I2C SCL line.
Its open drain output drives the signal that is common to all four fan drivers' ALERT* and FULL_ON* pins and on which the ALARM LED is connected. The output pulse width is 100 .. 300 msec. An Alert* condition on this line by other sources restarts the watchdog.
This means that without regular I2C activity, the fan controllers are reset into full speed mode after the timeout period.
Now with W2K i have I2C activity every 13 seconds and the watchdog never fires. For yet unknown reason this activity does not happen with the XP/SSD installation. Fan controllers are reset by the watchdog and fans will run at full speed.

By the way: The Rigol I2C decoder didn't produce anything meaningful and they don't answer EMails, not even an automatic answer.

Regards, Dieter

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #335 on: March 19, 2019, 07:38:21 pm »
I got a LeCroy WaveMaster 8600A with a defect. Seems to be the same defect as wldshy had it earlier in this thread, "communication problems".
I checked the 10GHz output of the oscillator, and after a minute or so, it starts jumping around several 100MHz, sometimes it is totally gone.
The 100MHz oscillator seems to be stable.

When I keep the oscillator box cool with cooling spray, it works fine.

When I have fixed this, I plan to do the motherboard/CPU/Windows 7 upgrade as converter did it, with a 1024*768 display. Asrock Board and i3 CPU are in the mail (from ebay).

Any suggestions on the oscillator? I think the problem may be an aging GaAs device. Any advice welcome.

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #336 on: March 19, 2019, 07:40:23 pm »
Btw., this is an early unit with a Pentium III board.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #337 on: March 19, 2019, 09:41:16 pm »
Unfortunately, I found only this scheme. But there is no diagram of the internal 10GHz module.
As far as I understand, there must be a PLL multiplier inside. If you have already checked the input signals and the power supply for it, you probably now need to open it and see what it consists of. Maybe he needs a PLL loop adjustment.

The following users thanked this post: pquadrat

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #338 on: March 19, 2019, 11:15:25 pm »
Once more about the SDA6020 fans running full speed under XP (solution):

On W2K the fan controllers' I2C polling starts with windows and is independent of user logon or XStream startup or exit. That means once W2K is up and running I2C gets polled regularly. In addition during XStream startup it communicates, setting the DAC values first to 0x00 and later to 0x33. So during XStream startup the fans run full speed for some time and are controlled back to reduced speed some time later.

I can't understand it any better, but it appears to me the Lecroy XStream 6.8.1.4 download is meant as an upgrade only. It installs under a fresh XP and the DSO appears to work, but the fan controller inf file has certain lines commented and it does not yield a correct setup. It will not send the I2C poll messages necessary to keep the fan drivers' watchdog satisfied. XStream 8.1.2.0 apparently does not contain any of those drivers.

The issue disappeared when i used the AladdinDrivers2.inf of dxl with the VaryingResourceMap descriptors. Then the issue in the fan controller device resources disappeared - it showed up with one byte port as resource, just as shown above by ingowien. I could use the original drivers, just with dxl's modified inf files. For the front panel i used the filter driver solution of ingowien.

Regards, Dieter
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:17:51 pm by dietert1 »

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2019, 12:11:58 am »
Thank you Dieter for sharing the information. I am sure that your experience will be useful for someone.
But, surprisingly, in my SDA6020, after a clean installation of standard distributions X-Stream, the fans are controlled correctly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:15:21 am by Converter »

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #340 on: March 20, 2019, 06:56:31 am »
Yes, for me fan noise makes a big difference.

Maybe you got some other XStream distribution, while i was referring to the ones currently offered on the Teledyne LeCroy website under "Firmware upgrade". Maybe it also depends on the status of XP. I used installation media marked as "SP3". Also i don't know whether special users/groups should be used during XStream installation.

When i look at the above photo of the 10 GHz source innards: I'd first check the solder joints where the two boards are connected. This looks  a bit unconventional but should work well if the solder joints contain short wire bridges. Solder alone can be rather brittle.

Regards, Dieter
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:09:03 am by dietert1 »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: March 20, 2019, 11:03:18 am »
In the XP device manager the fan controller appears to be working but  "Driver is not using any ressouces because it has a problem".
thanks for highlighting this i thought ZtiLecroyFPanelFix (ingowien) is all that needed for everything to work. so i updated my system to include dxl driver, but has to reinstall ZtiLecroyFPanelFix again after that because dxl driver overwrite it. so now all driver resources allocated nicely. but comparing with when no resource is allocated, there's not much difference during start up. dso will start at fan half speed, when xstream sw loads then fan go full speed, after sometime it goes half speed again, one thing i noticed with dxl driver, when checking acq temperature in service mode, when i click refresh button, sometime fan will change speed lo to hi and hi to lo, quite quickly its like responding to my refresh button press, it happened when my acq board is quite hot, MAM at around 85°C+, this speed change doesnt happen without dxl driver (resource not allocated) but i only did quick test i maybe wrong someone should confirm this. if xstream sw is really clever when dxl is installed, it doesnt really care if MAM goes hot and maybe only regulate when MAM 85°C+. attached is showing how hot my acq board is and at this condition sw still happily to turn the fan speed down while i press refresh button. is it normal or not i dont know. i have a feeling when dxl driver is not installed, with occasional fan at full speed, this will keep acq board cooler. ymmv.

And I completeley missed there is xstream 8.1.2.0 but they won't let me download it without a account verification and a stupid opt-in, so I'll leave it on their server where it's safe...
i noticed few GUI updates in ver 8.1.2.0 compared to 7.1.1.2, one of it is Spectrum Analyzer interface, 8.1.2.0 will draw channels and SA side by side which is nicer compared to all vertical view of 7.1.1.2, channels, SA, and 2D/3D SA views all in vertical arrangement, they are compressed so hard on already smaller monitor height and difficult to see each one of them. 8.1.2.0 arrangement is more logical, thats why i stick with 8.1.2.0 i will downgrade to 7.1.1.2 if only i want to do servicing that i cant do in 8.1.2.0, i've made OS images for all combination of them so i can change version quickly in case something i cant do in ver 8.1.2.0. what sucks on both version is i still cant make different or custom view arrangement in SA View ON mode. another feature in 8.1.2.0 is we can change horizontal offset and each channel vertical offset by touch screen, i havent noticed that capability in 7.1.1.2 but i stand to be corrected.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:09:30 am by Mechatrommer »

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #342 on: March 20, 2019, 12:43:15 pm »
Unfortunately, I found only this scheme. But there is no diagram of the internal 10GHz module.
As far as I understand, there must be a PLL multiplier inside. If you have already checked the input signals and the power supply for it, you probably now need to open it and see what it consists of. Maybe he needs a PLL loop adjustment.

Thanks!

After re-adjusting the 10GHz oscillator, it works fine (until now). I had to turn the golden screw (under the MTI protective sticker) 90 degrees clockwise. 0 degrees was one end of the stable range, 180 degrees the other end, so I took the center.

Here is some information about these MTI GHz oscillators: http://reactancelabs.com/?p=385

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2019, 05:58:32 pm »
A small question, maybe OT: Can anybody recommend a pinheader part to connect to the LeCroy probe port of these GHz scopes?
I know the coaxial connector sells under "BMA" and got some from Mouser.
Could not find the 2 mm raster 2x3 pin header because it is somewhat special in that it needs to have 0,7 mm round pins instead of the usual 0,5 mm rectangular pins. And the pins can be about 1 mm longer than usual 4,4 mm length. Once again a very special part.

Regards, Dieter

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2019, 03:23:03 pm »
anyway i'm ordering 2X 0.22A 65CFM fan just for experimentation if possible to reduce current consumption and noise... using stock 2X 0.65A 110CFM Panaflo FBA12G12U, the acq board temp is this...

Just out of curiosity. What temperature did you get when using the "NMB 4710KL-04W-B19 12V 0.22A" fans?
How much has this changed in comparison with standard Panaflo FBA12G12U fans under the same experimental conditions?

A small question, maybe OT: Can anybody recommend a pinheader part to connect to the LeCroy probe port of these GHz scopes?
I have no idea, but to buy some faulty Wavelink Probe Body, when it will be inexpensive.
As I understand it, you want to make a makeshift active probe?

2 years ago I made an order for the production of BMA/BNC adapters in China 1688.com site in accordance with my technical specification.
It cost only $2.5 for each adapter. For a secure attachment to the oscilloscope, it is still recommended to supplement it with a box.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:13:50 pm by Converter »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2019, 06:11:58 pm »
anyway i'm ordering 2X 0.22A 65CFM fan just for experimentation if possible to reduce current consumption and noise... using stock 2X 0.65A 110CFM Panaflo FBA12G12U, the acq board temp is this...
Just out of curiosity. What temperature did you get when using the "NMB 4710KL-04W-B19 12V 0.22A" fans?
How much has this changed in comparison with standard Panaflo FBA12G12U fans under the same experimental conditions?
i received those fans but they cannot go, as they consume 0.5A each when tested, wind blow is good, maybe nearly as powerful as panaflo fan, but i didnt measure as there is no current saving advantage, i leave original panaflo fans as is, dont want to waste more time on this, i've spent too much time already, i'm tired and next projects are waiting, new projects coming in and keep pushing. the only advantage is some space saving as the NMB fans are thinner compared to panaflo, but i dont need it yet. i'll keep them as spare or for other project, i left the seller +ve feedback for sending me more powerful fans than advertised :palm: (the funny thing the label is as advertised in picture, so its the factory that didnt know how to measure current and put wrong labelling) shipping was quick.

2 years ago I made an order for the production of BMA/BNC adapters in China 1688.com site in accordance with my technical specification.
It cost only $2.5 for each adapter. For a secure attachment to the oscilloscope, it is still recommended to supplement it with a box.
how do you do that? that site is unreadable and looks like normal consumers store selling bras. $2.5 for both BMA and BNC is cheap, digikey sell the BMA connector alone at $24 the cheapest i found in ebay US was old stock Tensolite BMA to BMA connector at $15 each, i grabbed them all :palm: so its effectively $7.50 per BMA.

I have no idea, but to buy some faulty Wavelink Probe Body, when it will be inexpensive.
i did look for broken probe body, but seller still selling them at insane price :palm: for example is this... $250
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lecroy-WL600-Wavelink-Active-Probe-Body-6Ghz-for-parts/290671476455?hash=item43ad5ebee7:g:S4sAAOxygo9Q8LbJ
there's X written on it so i guess its broken, but who knows its maybe working or easily fixable. i got a D13000PS at $100+ sold as is, but turned out to be still working. if someone want to hunt for bargain he has to keep waiting patiently but if expecting $24, i think thats eternal wait, better get from digikey or something, or better you teach us how to get the supply from that 1688.com or sell to us at minimal profit :P

btw, this is lecroy dso motherboard upgrade/mod thread, about the probe connector i guess its more relevant in that probe reverse engineering thread...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lecroy-probus-reverse-engineering/?topicscreen
but then its for probus i2c interface reverse engineering, also went off topic for this special 2mm pitch 0.76mm dia pin interface search... ymmv...

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2019, 08:01:58 pm »
Yes, I also can not agree on the insane prices of parts for Wavelink. It looks even more expensive than analogues Agilent and Tektronix.
how do you do that? that site is unreadable and looks like normal consumers store selling bras. $2.5 for both BMA and BNC is cheap, digikey sell the BMA connector alone at $24 the cheapest i found in ebay US was old stock Tensolite BMA to BMA connector at $15 each, i grabbed them all :palm: so its effectively $7.50 per BMA.
I sometimes have to go to shop 1688 and Taobao, because often there is no alternative. The reason is not only in very favorable prices, but also in the widest range for many types of goods. For example, I needed parts for a Chinese induction soldering station (control board with protected firmware ROM, spare thermocouples and soldering iron handles), but in eBay and Aliexpress there are no such parts, and such soldering stations are only sold in full. BMA I also could not find anywhere at an affordable price. They were not in eBay and in Aliexpress. In Taobao, I saw a few lots BMA, but the sellers did not want to supply a small quantity for me (obviously, this product is rarely in demand, and the sellers are intermediaries from the manufacturer and they did not have this in stock). In Alibaba it is also available, but there almost always work in bulk. So I had to go in the direction of 1688.com, where the producers of goods are mainly represented.
Unexpectedly for me, right during the online chat (what you saw in the screenshot), the chinaman made 4 adapters for me and uploaded these photos to the chat :). It took him probably 5 minutes. At first, I thought that this pause in the conversation was simply due to the fact that he went to the toilet :).

I think you can also shop in Taobao and at 1688.com, but I have to warn you that this is extremely tedious.

- Firstly, there is a very difficult account registration and verification in the payment system (you will have to send even a screenshot of your passport).

- Secondly, this whole process will have to be done with a site in Chinese (since this is a marketplace designed only for the domestic market of China).

- Thirdly, the purchase on these sites will happen only after you have agreed with the seller on the availability of the goods, the relevance of the price and confirm your shipping address (surprisingly, when it is put up for sale on the website does not mean that it is available :))

- Fourth, you will have to write in a chat in Chinese, almost always those sellers do not know English and do not know how to use online translators.

- Fifth, since these resources are for the intra-Chinese market, sellers almost always do not ship goods outside of China. You will have to use the services of freight forwarding companies and provide your virtual address within China.

- In the sixth (fortunately, this restriction applies only to 1688) your credit cards are not suitable for payment, only credit cards from Chinese banks that can only be received by residents of China are suitable. For payment, you will have to use the services of an intermediary who has an account in a Chinese bank.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:19:11 pm by Converter »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2019, 01:57:22 am »
that sounds super tedious esp the learning how to speak and read chinese. maybe you can be a supplier for worldwide? otherwise, the supply from digikey/mouser/element14 will make any derivative product using that connector quite expensive. i pulled the plug and get a original LPA-BNC at $250 just to know whats inside :palm:, now i dont have a use for it :palm: #283421231727 (was #173793255440)

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2019, 11:57:53 am »
Yes, i am in the process of making active probes. First version is single ended and THS4302  based (1.9 GHz). Some info here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/gt-1-ghz-diy-differential-probes/

It's almost ready to use except that 2x3 pin header. Thanks for the link to the Probus thread. Seems nobody found a commercial source for the connector yet.

Regards, Dieter

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline dxlTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2019, 06:42:17 pm »

I don't think that's 100% true.  DXL did create a new driver for the front panel to fix the multi-core issue, but I believe he removed some of his posts on the topic.  He posted three zip files to this thread and one of them did not have his version of the driver.  His fixes for the other drivers were just inf file changes but the front panel driver was original (the .sys file is different).

Perhaps some of the people having trouble are using the archive without his driver.

Multi-core / Multi-processor systems were in existence and supported by XP so it's not a problem of the technology not being in existence, but I agree that LeCroy only intended the driver for use on the single-core system it shipped with.

That's correct. The original driver didn't work with Multicore CPUs, so i wrote a new one. Sorry if that one was missing in the last zip file. I don't have the LeCroy anymore (I sold it and switched back to my old TDS754D because i was sick of re-calibrations all the time), but i should still have that driver. I just can't test it anymore. So let me know if someone needs it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf