Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 166893 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #475 on: October 20, 2019, 07:49:24 pm »
You won't need to take the touchscreen off. The touch screen is glued to the metal outer bracket which you can remove from the TFT screen.  But you won't need to disassemble a TFT screen that far to get to the electronics anyway. Just lay it flat with the screen side down and remove the back cover.

looking from the side, it seemed to me this should be the case and you confirmed my thought

can I also replace the backlight without tampering with the touchscreen? (if it turns out that the LCD is ok I would like to replace the backlight)
Yes. The backlight tubes can be pulled out. There is a plastic latch keeping it in place. The CCFL tube holder is designed to be replaced. The touchscreen issue is easely resolved by exchanging the housing of the LCD screen with a replacement LCD screen if it turns out the problem isn't poor contact.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #476 on: October 20, 2019, 09:51:36 pm »
yeah I need to take the LCD apart. I am a bit worried about messing up the touchscreen. It seems a separate glass on top of the actual TFT panel, am I right?
oo right the touchscreen. they are separate unit technically, you are right, but unfortunately they are glued together, and try to separate them is like destroying the touchscreen glass or the monitor. so no, they are not separate, practically speaking, you need to buy separate 10.4" 4 wire touch panel, and glue your own together to the spare monitor. once installed on the dso, need to calibrate the touch using the SW (updd3_8_34.zip) you can search in this thread.
could you point me to the touch panel that you used?
https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/10-4inch-4-wire-resistive-touch-screen-panel-size-228x175mm/261459880267?hash=item3ce039294b:g:Fj0AAOSw1NFaL37U (err.. iirc, but its not quite the same as the original)... otoh you can change the backlight but the problem you described (dark+light+..) i highly believe is not a backlight problem, its the lcd infront of it. backlight is just a big white light, you change that, you still have the stripes, except brighter. changing backlight is another trick. ymmv.

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #477 on: October 21, 2019, 02:47:44 am »
I usually buy HERE.
But you can neatly rearrange the original. Double sided tape is required. I use silicone 3M 1mm.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:56:53 am by Converter »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #478 on: October 21, 2019, 03:08:18 am »
I usually buy HERE.
But you can neatly rearrange the original. Double sided tape is required. I use silicone 3M 1mm.

Isn't the original touchscreen Capacitive? These ones (on aliexpress) all say Resistive touchscreen.

Can these chinese aftermarkets be connected directly with the board on Lecroy in place of the old one and be calibrated by the software in the scope?

Offline ollopa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #479 on: October 21, 2019, 03:10:49 am »
The originals are resistive.  They have that sparkly translucent appearance which sucks -- the screen underneath is quite bright and clear.

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #480 on: October 21, 2019, 05:43:02 pm »
I usually buy HERE.

Isn't the original touchscreen Capacitive? These ones (on aliexpress) all say Resistive touchscreen.

Can these chinese aftermarkets be connected directly with the board on Lecroy in place of the old one and be calibrated by the software in the scope?
4-wire resistive sensors - this is a very simple thing. Sometimes I just have to swap 2 wires on the LeCroy board for the correct functioning of these sensors here. Other more advanced sensor controllers process signals in any wiring diagram. Capacitive sensors are very different in appearance, you should not have confused this with a capacitive sensor.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #481 on: October 21, 2019, 10:04:55 pm »
A quick write-up of my Wavepro 7200A restoration and uphack. I bought this one from Ebay after low-balling the seller:

The description said the display wasn't working. Besides that it is clearly visible the bezel is completely ruined. When it arrived it was time to take it apart.

First let's see if there is some life in it. An external monitor showed the scope booted but no image on the internal display. For good measure I replaced the CCFL backlight of the display with LED backlight. For that I had to remove the video driver board to solder some wires to it because I needed to get 12V from somewhere.

That also leads to the discovery of several design flaws in the hardware. Look at how the metal washers are over the traces:

And the top cover also serves to keep the acquisition board in place so whatever forces comes down onto the top cover is directly transferred onto the PC motherboard:

Really??  :palm: :palm:

The bezel was broken in several pieces. Some PVC glue and tape on the inside helped to put it back together:

Unfortunately to bottom part is strained a lot and it was broken in several places. I had to glue in a brace to keep it together. After that it turned out there was also a crack in the corner which needed glueing as well. For these jobs I use masking tape to keep the parts together while the glue cures.

Back to some testing... the hard drive seemed to have a problem so I went for a reinstall of Windows XP and the LEcroy software on an SSD. The software is downloadable from LEcroy so no problems there. That worked OK but channel two had issues which caused the scope to halt and lots of relays clicking. Time to take the acquisition board out... Well... hello!

For good measure I swapped the input module from channel 2 with the auxilary channel. One of the nice things of these scopes is that they have 5 identical input modules so you always have a spare  >:D Getting the module wasn't easy because the standoff underneath the module unscrewed itself pushing the module up. As a last ditch attempt I tightened the screw further and after that the standoff stayed put. After swapping the input module I had 4 working channels. It is possible to use the auxilary channel as an input for channel 3 and that seemed to work fine. The issue with channel2 was likely contact related.

Now onto the display... The display system relies on an Intel proprietary AGP slot extension which outputs display data for use with a TFT screen. The video board in turn converts this to the right signals to drive the TFT screen. After some measuring it turned out the driver board wasn't getting any input signals from the AGP slot. After cleaning the AGP slot using a piece of card board to scrub the contacts the display works again.

Next stop: PC upgrades. I ordered two 1GB Kingston PC3200 memory modules from Ebay as NOS. I contemplated to buy a 3.2GHz processor as well instead of the existing 2.8GHz 533MHz FSB processor but decided to go through my old PCs first. I found a 2.8GHz P4 with an 800MHz FSB in an old Dell PC and decided to put that in and transplant the Dell cooling solution too because it is very quiet. I had to take the motherboard out for this job though. The CDROM drive no longer fits together with the cooler. Since the motherboard can also boot from a USB stick that isn't a really big problem.

Something else I noticed is that the fans are LOUD. Let's do something about that! This website put me on the trail of 'Gentle Typhoon' fans: http://s-audio.systems/blog/lecroy-upgrade/

These are obsolete but I managed to procure the ones mentioned (D1225C12B6 and D0925C12B4). I also wanted to keep the plugs as original as possible. It turns out the original fans use Molex Spox connectors so I ordered some contacts and housings. I have the Molex crimper for it anyway. With the D1225C12B6 the temperatures where a tad high so I went one step up in power and used the D1225C12B7 version which keeps the temperatures similar when using the original fans.

One problem was that the CPU fan wasn't showing the RPM with the yellow wire connected. I didn't measure any pulses on it. Can I hack the fan? Yes I can!

It turns out the fan uses a standard chip from Rohm. This chip has two outputs on pins 15 and 16: rotor lock and RPM. R11 and R10 select between which one is connected to the yellow wire. Moving the resistor from R11 to R10 got me the RPM output.

Last but not least I decided to rotate the fan on the CPU cooler 90 degrees so it blows the air outwards so the hot air doesn't go into the acquisition board.

With the original fans I measure 75dB at 25cm from the front using a mobile phone app. With the fan replacements the sound level is at 68dB. Also the 'Gentle Typhoon' fans seem to be designed to produce a pleasant sound. Needless to say the improvement is massive!

Time to fit the SSD onto a bracket. I looked up the mounting dimensions for 3.5" and 2.5" drives and drilled some holes into an aluminium bracket which I created from a piece from my 'bits of metal' stock. It also needed milling a slot into it to make it fit.

Fortunately there are SATA connectors on the motherboard so fitting a SATA drive is easy. It also gets rid of a lot of cables.

Then the last bit... uphacking! A fellow forum member was so friendly to share his tricks to turn a 7200A (2GHz) into a 7300A (3GHz). What it takes is removing some capacitors (marked red) and replacing resistors with 0 Ohm links (marked blue):

A software key does the rest to make the scope think it is a Wavepro 7300A.

All in all a nice addition to my lab. Finally! My first real Lecroy scope. I think I'll need quite a bit of time to go through all the possibilities this oscilloscope offers. Lecroy typically is strong where it comes to signal analysis and math.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: lukier, DaJMasta, analogRF, salvagedcircuitry, dgo_42

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: October 21, 2019, 11:46:32 pm »
Next stop: PC upgrades. I ordered two 1GB Kingston PC3200 memory modules from Ebay as NOS. I contemplated to buy a 3.2GHz processor as well instead of the existing 2.8GHz 533MHz FSB processor but decided to go through my old PCs first. I found a 2.8GHz P4 with an 800MHz FSB in an old Dell PC and decided to put that in and transplant the Dell cooling solution too because it is very quiet. I had to take the motherboard out for this job though. The CDROM drive no longer fits together with the cooler. Since the motherboard can also boot from a USB stick that isn't a really big problem.
my upgrade to Pentium D 945 (95W) requires big heatsinking. i wanted to keep the CD-ROM (dont want to waste it and would like to keep it in stock config) so i have to use low profile heatsink on the cpu but yet capable to withdraw the 95W generated by it, water cooling is the solution for me. radiator fan is another thing not fit nicely in the enclosure so i diy a bracket out of PC back panel cover to let the radiator sit on top of existing dso fan and utilize the flowing air to keep it cool, so the radiator's fan is not used, i can keep for another project (fan with nice blue LED deco :P). since normal heatsink is not used, no air blowing to nearby regulators and they got hotter when using water cool config, so i have to add small blower for them and made 3d printed bracket to hold it between the back plane and the watercooler (pictures). congratulation on your mod, and some usefull infos there.

thanks. just out of curiosity, does having dual core (physically) or hyperthreading give any noticable performance boost in the xstream software and scope functions/math/zoom/fft/ect...? I think I saw somewhere that it doesn't help much anyways. Have you noticed any difference with and without having hyperthreading?
in the last attached photo i screenshot the cpu usage when activating fft or 3d view, it clearly shown the xstream sw will use both cpu... if more cpu cores, maybe we can play doom :P or some analysis sw in the background while using the dso, fwiw.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:20:37 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #483 on: October 22, 2019, 12:26:03 pm »
excellent job and write up, nctnico, as always  :D
I have a few questions and suggestions if you don't mind
did you also replace the fan on the power supply?

you replaced 120x38mm fans with CFM=114 with 120x25mm fans with CFM=83 (higher RPM though but 8-9dB lower noise)
aren't you concerned about the temperatures specially let's say when all channels are sampling at maximum speed and full memory length?
I would love to reduce the noise in this beast even by 5dB but if I want to keep the same airflow I end up with the same noise no matter what fan I choose
have you actually checked the bandwidth of this scope with signal generator (not pulse)? I cannot do it at the moment because my R&S sig gen is sick but I have a feeling that the BW is not nearly 3GHz (mine is 7300A)
If I understood correctly, you just installed a fresh WinXP and then the lecroy software on top of it. What about the cal data and other stuff which are not installed but are specific to the scope? Did you just copy them from the D: drive to your new SSD? My HDD was ok so I just made a raw image on an SSD and everything is ok but I am curious how it should be done if I wanted to start with a fresh winxp install

I have installed a P4 Prescott 3.2GHz 1MB L2 800MHz FSB with original stock cooler and so far i have not seen any unusual temperatures. I loaded the scope with several math functions and temps hardly reach 47-50. Even if I run a cpu stress test (from CPUZ software) temp reaches 60-62 max but with scope usage I never reach that amount of CPU load. I think the SSE3 instructions and 1MB L2 cache can be a big boost in computations, please correct me if I am wrong.

i wouldn't turn the cpu fan towards the side wall because it is very close to the wall and disrupts the air flow and creates a back pressure. that can help increase your cpu temp I think...i am not an expert on this though...

My LCD is degraded and no matter how much I played with all the connectors, there are some white lines that dont go away so I ordered a new lcd from ebay. since you have opened up yours already, is it easy to just replace the inside of the LCD (just the panel and electronics that are inside the lcd cage) without tampering with the touch screen glass?

thanks

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #484 on: October 22, 2019, 12:35:28 pm »
Mechatrommer, thanks for your answer about the dual core. I also noticed that the software uses two threads on my P4 when hyperthreading

I think you have an SDA6000 (only 50 ohm inputs, right? no 1M). What version of the lecroy xstream are you using?
what options do you have on your scope? I have a 7300A but it does not have the "spectrum analyzer" package. of course I have FFT as part of math functions but in your last picture you have a dedicated spectrum analyzer tool. I am curious how I can have that on my scope. what option can enable that tool?

EDIT: mmm...or maybe I do have that but I have not found it yet! I need to play more when I get back home  >:D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:40:16 pm by analogRF »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #485 on: October 22, 2019, 01:12:37 pm »
...I was looking at SDA6000A datasheet and manual there is no mention of Spectrum Analyzer application. They seem to only have FFT as part of math like my 7300A. Curious how you enabled that spectrum analyzer app?

Offline ZhuraYuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #486 on: October 22, 2019, 01:44:30 pm »
These are obsolete but I managed to procure the ones mentioned (D1225C12B6 and D0925C12B4).

I hope you still not roasted your ADCs because those fans you re installed are twice as weak by airflow and 10 times weaker by air pressure. There are no  other options available to reduce the noise with 120 fans, default fans are industry top by nose/airflow/pressure.
Next step would be to try 140mm fans or water cooling system.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:10:41 pm by ZhuraYuk »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: October 22, 2019, 02:21:30 pm »
I think you have an SDA6000 (only 50 ohm inputs, right? no 1M). What version of the lecroy xstream are you using?
what options do you have on your scope? I have a 7300A but it does not have the "spectrum analyzer" package. of course I have FFT as part of math functions but in your last picture you have a dedicated spectrum analyzer tool. I am curious how I can have that on my scope. what option can enable that tool?
yes 50 ohm input. latest ver8... you can download from lecroy website (google XStreamDSOInstaller), but in order to add licenses, you need to do it in older ver7.x (i guess the ori xstream installer comes with your DSO saved somewhere in the HDD) after add licenses, upgrade to latest version 8, you can stick with older ver i dont find any problem, except i like the spectrum (FFT) (and 3D iirc) windows arrangement on the latest version. read this thread VERY carefully... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lecroy-options-recovery/ its not straight forward at first and learn the way how mr jack sparrow talk and think. really, you need to search here in eevblog for "Lecroy mod" "Lecroy dso" etc, there are many infos here.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: October 22, 2019, 02:24:17 pm »
These are obsolete but I managed to procure the ones mentioned (D1225C12B6 and D0925C12B4).

I hope you still not roasted your ADCs because those fans you re installed are twice as weak by airflow and 10 times weaker by air pressure. There are no  other options available to reduce the noise with 120 fans, default fans are industry top by nose/airflow/pressure.

for 140mm fan you must drill holes into the frame (if it fits at all) and still the circular aperture that is available is for 120mm fan, so it will be worse

it should be a 120mmx 38mm fan that is quieter...

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #489 on: October 22, 2019, 02:27:41 pm »
yes 50 ohm input. latest ver8... you can download from lecroy website (google XStreamDSOInstaller), but in order to add licenses, you need to do it in older ver7.x (i guess the ori xstream installer comes with your DSO saved somewhere in the HDD) after add licenses, upgrade to latest version 8, you can stick with older ver i dont find any problem, except i like the spectrum (FFT) (and 3D iirc) windows arrangement on the latest version. read this thread VERY carefully... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lecroy-options-recovery/ its not straight forward at first and learn the way how mr jack sparrow talk and think. really, you need to search here in eevblog for "Lecroy mod" "Lecroy dso" etc, there are many infos here.

I am using the latest x-stream (8.1.2 I think) but what option did you enable for spectrum analyzer function? I have looked everywhere but SDA or WP7K do not have that option. Newer models have it...

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: October 22, 2019, 02:36:00 pm »
but what option did you enable for spectrum analyzer function? I have looked everywhere but SDA or WP7K do not have that option. Newer models have it...
option "SPECTRUM"... are you sure you looked around? have you read CAREEEEFULLY the https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lecroy-options-recovery/ thread? its worth many pages i dont want to repeat it here... tell me what your options.cfg tells you?

how are you going to cool the down under the whole acq board with water cool system? iirc Converter made a mod to use larger diameter fan replacing the original fans. its in the earlier page.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #491 on: October 22, 2019, 02:50:32 pm »
excellent job and write up, nctnico, as always  :D
I have a few questions and suggestions if you don't mind
did you also replace the fan on the power supply?

you replaced 120x38mm fans with CFM=114 with 120x25mm fans with CFM=83 (higher RPM though but 8-9dB lower noise)
aren't you concerned about the temperatures specially let's say when all channels are sampling at maximum speed and full memory length?
I would love to reduce the noise in this beast even by 5dB but if I want to keep the same airflow I end up with the same noise no matter
These Gentle Typhoon fans have a very high static pressure. When comparing fans you need to compare the pressure/airflow graphs; not just the amount of air a fan moves. And yes, I have also replaced the fan for the power supply.
If I understood correctly, you just installed a fresh WinXP and then the lecroy software on top of it. What about the cal data and other stuff which are not installed but are specific to the scope? Did you just copy them from the D: drive to your new SSD? My HDD was ok so I just made a raw image on an SSD and everything is ok but I am curious how it should be done if I wanted to start with a fresh winxp install
It turns out the factory calibration is also in the EEPROMs on the acquisition board so you don't need to save the files. A self calibration from the service menu does the rest to restore all the calibration data.

I have installed a P4 Prescott 3.2GHz 1MB L2 800MHz FSB with original stock cooler and so far i have not seen any unusual temperatures. I loaded the scope with several math functions and temps hardly reach 47-50. Even if I run a cpu stress test (from CPUZ software) temp reaches 60-62 max but with scope usage I never reach that amount of CPU load. I think the SSE3 instructions and 1MB L2 cache can be a big boost in computations, please correct me if I am wrong.

i wouldn't turn the cpu fan towards the side wall because it is very close to the wall and disrupts the air flow and creates a back pressure. that can help increase your cpu temp I think...i am not an expert on this though...

I'm not seeing a difference in CPU temperature. The fan is close to the casing and I can feel it blowing out some of the warm air.
My LCD is degraded and no matter how much I played with all the connectors, there are some white lines that dont go away so I ordered a new lcd from ebay. since you have opened up yours already, is it easy to just replace the inside of the LCD (just the panel and electronics that are inside the lcd cage) without tampering with the touch screen glass?
The touchscreen is glued to the TFT screen so it basically is one unit. However if you can careful you can take the new LCD panel apart and transplant the outer rim. With some patience and enough space to work this is very doable.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #492 on: October 22, 2019, 02:53:03 pm »

Sorry, I should have written the D1225C12B7 instead of the D1225C12B6 but even with the D1225C12B6 temperatures stay within limits. The fans I used are just potent as the fans they replace; make sure you converted the pressure rating because the fan manufacturers seem to use up to 4 different units for the pressure. The temperature monitoring from the service menu shows about the same temperatures compared to the old fans.

Offline ZhuraYuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #493 on: October 22, 2019, 03:53:36 pm »

for 140mm fan you must drill holes into the frame (if it fits at all) and still the circular aperture that is available is for 120mm fan, so it will be worse
Why drill? You can use 120<>140 mm adapters

it should be a 120mmx 38mm fan that is quieter...
I was unable find any, it looks like the ones used in WP7k are the best in industry.

how are you going to cool the down under the whole acq board with water cool system? iirc Converter made a mod to use larger diameter fan replacing the original fans. its in the earlier page.
I thought of putting separate heat sink for CPU on top of each ADC and rest of the elements can be cooled with with much weaker and silent fan.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:20:33 pm by ZhuraYuk »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #494 on: October 22, 2019, 03:56:23 pm »
It turns out the factory calibration is also in the EEPROMs on the acquisition board so you don't need to save the files. A self calibration from the service menu does the rest to restore all the calibration data.
if original owner did a calibration process later during the life of the scope in service, will it saved in eeprom too?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #495 on: October 22, 2019, 04:44:16 pm »
if original owner did a calibration process later during the life of the scope in service, will it saved in eeprom too?
You'd have to ask Lecroy. I'd assume if you send it to Lecroy then they might update the EEPROM values if necessary.
It seems the self calibration data is saved in different files. The data which is in the EEPROMs is read once if the file is missing on the disk.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #496 on: October 22, 2019, 05:51:44 pm »
I thought of putting separate heat sink for CPU on top of each ADC and rest of the elements can be cooled with with much weaker and silent fan.
I'm not sure whether you have enough room for that. What I have been thinking about is adding ducts along the acquisition board and from the fans so the airflow could be much more laminar. What I've noticed is that there is a large difference between the temperatures of the various parts. So it seems the airflow isn't even across the acquisition board.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #497 on: October 22, 2019, 06:24:56 pm »
I'm not sure whether you have enough room for that. What I have been thinking about is adding ducts along the acquisition board and from the fans so the airflow could be much more laminar. What I've noticed is that there is a large difference between the temperatures of the various parts. So it seems the airflow isn't even across the acquisition board.
this would be the best idea. right now those two fans are blowing at quite a distance from the holes on top of the acq board and i think a lot of air flow is being lost (EDIT: wasted) in that area underneath the fans
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:52:41 pm by analogRF »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #498 on: October 22, 2019, 06:40:19 pm »
Still it requires taking the scope apart a few times. Before getting to any conclusion you'd have to make several temperature measurements. Airflow is not very predictable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:02:53 pm by nctnico »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: October 23, 2019, 12:44:19 am »
i think the designer knew what they were doing, there are walls or partitions to constrain airflow into the acq board and i think airflow should spread as there are few components need cooling at various places under there. i have a concern about failure points or leakage when installing water cool for the cpu, i have to arrange carefully in case leakage, liquid will not fall directly into acq section, so i have to place what i think as weak points of the water cool system on top of the top platform and by just looking at it, top platform should be quite capable to direct any liquid flow to the back side of the dso/acq board, hopefully. if anybody thinking of watercool piping directly going to the acq board at various places then good luck, i hope you can come up with a sound reliability system.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf