Author Topic: Upgrading the Hantek DSO4072C and DS4104C oscilloscopes bandwidth up to 250MHz  (Read 32672 times)

Offline naumanchughtai

Hi. New here. Don't know if this is where I should post this question. Was considering buying a 80Mhz Hantek DPO6082P scope and was wondering if this series is also hackable to the DPO6202P with 200mhz bandwidth? Or perhaps just stick with the older 200Mhz DSO 5202P model?

Offline Airfranz

Hi all
I had a look to several contributions in this post and really appreciate the high quality of discussion. I am wondering if someone can help me - bought a bricked voltcraft dso-1084e with an obviously corrupted NAND and would need the full NAND content as .bin file to be able to flash over JTAG...Recovery with F2 and F3 not successful and UART serial connection shows messages that some NAND sectors are bad....
Please help 😁 thx

Offline MicrocheapTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Have you tried to contact Hantek's support already? They will send you a recover file to restore the device.

Offline Airfranz

Hi Microcheap,
Thank you for your reply! I contacted Hantek and indeed they sent me a (full?) firmware file (kernel.bin, uboot.bin, root.ubi, recover.ubi, params.bin, kernel_bk) with an uboot.exe tool to be copied on a SD card and make it bootable. This process requires windows xp (tool doesn't work on newer OS even not windows 7, I tried). That's why it took me some time to get the SD card set up properly. Then you need to put it in the SD card holder of the pcb. Bridging (shortening) two vias on the PCB causes the board to boot from the SD card and the NAND gets flashed from the SD content. The programming can be monitored on putty via the UART output. The tool gave me update success, then I removed the shortening bridge & SD card and did a reboot of the scope.
And then.....guess what 😷🤐😲💩
Nothing works anymore. Screen is blanked out, lights on the frontpanel are on, and no message / no control anymore via the serial interface. USB dead. And this although the script was running through without error.
I sent the log back to Hantek, let's see if they can help me further on this.
What I observed is that the tool obviously did not erase the NAND before programming, maybe it works only in production on a "fresh" NAND? Would not be an issue for me to replace it with a new one...
And what I learned from this - probably it would habe been better to flash root.ubi via usb and keep the uboot sector untouched, I think my scope would still show some signs of life then....
Keep you updated...
Franz

Offline Airfranz

The recover process per SD boot card was successful now. Scope is operational again. Used a different slower SDHC card and bang.....After the removal of the shortening cable the scope booted from NAND as if nothing had happened. Good that I had saved a backup of the /config/cali.dat file before, because this is the original calibration data of the machine. So after the recovery I copied this file over to the machine. Self calibration went smoothly, tested and all ok now.
If you need a full recovery of the firmware this is a very easy methode. Only tradeoff is that you need a computer with Windows XP to prepare the SD card. All the required binary / ubi files, a "uboot.exe" program and a short manual how to do the update was part of a package I got from Hantek support. Contact them if you need the software, they are really helpful and respond witin a day or so!

Offline kutukvpavel

Well, I finally bought one of these. And guess what, it came with a malfunctioning front panel, some of the buttons that are integrated into the encoders somehow ended up wired to keys F1-F5 (I ran the front panel test). Surprisingly, I didn't even notice it until today, even though I've used the scope a couple times after initial inspection. Has anyone had this issue before?
I don't want to disassemble my unit yet, because it's covered under warranty of a local distributor. Still, the diagnostic/repair process can get quite lengthy and if this issue comes from, say, an improperly secured flat cable or something, I might give it a shot myself.

Offline HHG

Hi,

to Airfranz: please post here recovery files from Hantek.

Offline Siverian

Hello community,
is it possible to change the colours of the channel to have the same sequence as LeCroy has. Voltcraft has a next one 1(Yellow) 2(Blue) 3(Cyan) 4(Green) and LeCroy has 1(Yellow) 2(Сyan) 3(Blue) 4(Green).

Offline Steve007iii

I have a DSO4254B
device does not boot
and does not turn on the screen
only the LEDs on the right

Help

now if i don't know what to do
I disassembled the device and saw that all the information of the EEPROM and the operating system is stored in a Nand memory IC TSOP-48, 3V "IS34ML01G084", someone has a programmer to give me a copy of the Nand, they would be very grateful.

recovery is damaged too
https://youtu.be/W6qqxJy5auc

Offline boogiepopgq

Hello, I have a NAND memory programmer and others may help you. I have a DSO4254C. I don't know if the information from there works.

Offline Steve007iii

Hello, I have a NAND memory programmer and others may help you. I have a DSO4254C. I don't know if the information from there works.

oh yes this works for me i plan to restore the recovery partition if you are kind enough to upload it to download it
it is the same motherboard what changes is the software...

thanks , thanks!, thanks!, thanks!,thanks!,thanks! thank you very much.

with that information I can repair my oscilloscope!

Offline boogiepopgq

Hi there!
Sorry, you know how to add languages ​​that were there before and no longer after a Recovery, is that now only German and French appear when before it had 8 languages ​​next to English, I already contacted the Hantek service but I have been doing that for days and no idea if will respond.

Thanks!

Offline Steve007iii

Hi there!
Sorry, you know how to add languages ​​that were there before and no longer after a Recovery, is that now only German and French appear when before it had 8 languages ​​next to English, I already contacted the Hantek service but I have been doing that for days and no idea if will respond.

Thanks!

They take around 3 weeks to attend and the support service is not good.  :-BROKE

Since recovery works for you, I would recommend a force update for the uart port.

This should solve the problem  :-+

Offline boogiepopgq

Hi there!

Thanks!

They take around 3 weeks to attend and the support service is not good.  :-BROKE

Since recovery works for you, I would recommend a force update for the uart port.

This should solve the problem  :-+

Done! Hantek already answered me and they sent me a modified firmware where I recover the eight available languages and I am as before.
Thanks!

Offline sadeghelect

hi
how can i active hdmi and lan port ?
thanks

Offline spippolone

I have a DSO4072C I will try to update .. but I have 2 question:
the first, when you turn on the generator, default output amplitude is 2 V .. I would like to star from 0 Volt, because if I test a Final Audio amplifier without volume control I sign in with too much signal.. I must be remember to set the output before turn on the amplifier...
Some one can see if in the firmware is possible change a value to start in 0 Volt when the generator it is turn on ??

the second, has anyone tried to increase the maximum frequency of the internal generator ??

I hope to see a solution Thank you for all
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 09:52:04 am by spippolone »

Offline kutukvpavel

I'm interested in the LAN port too, since keeping scope ground tied to PC ground doesn't seem like a good idea. "System settings" menu has a tab called "network", but it's grayed out.

I briefly looked with IDA into decrypted firmware upgrade packages for 4XX2C [password dso4000bc] and 4XX4C [password dso4000c]. They differ immensly: the 2-ch version is just a custom linux build, the 4-ch models utilize a custom Android build. While 2-ch version does check the system.inf for network capabilities, I wasn't able to find any code that would actually handle ethernet interface (though I didn't look too thoroughly, because I own a 4-ch one, so I focused on them primarily). Probably devices that included optional LAN interface were shipped with a modified firmware that is not publicly available. Things definitely look better for 4-ch models, I successfully identified many pieces of network code in their firmware.

The problem is, I haven't yet found how this feature is activated. The 4-ch firmware doesn't look for [net] section in system.inf, see screenshot (all fields that it gets from system.inf that I was able to identify, the ones I couldn't identify are never read, only written). The firmware simply counts the number of available devices under /proc/net/dev, and that's it, no additional checks at all. I am starting to think that no software "key" is needed, because the board physically lacks a standalone ethernet controller. This theory is supported by a boot log I found at https://sigrok.org/wiki/Hantek_DSO4004C_series/Info, it suggests that we lack DM9000 chip (or a compatible one) on our board. I'll have to check where the traces go from the transformer footprint, because I don't remember any LQFP100 footprint on the board. And an IC footprint near the transformer doesn't look familiar to me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 04:48:23 am by kutukvpavel »

Offline McJanDK77

Is there a guide for the terminal what i have to type in for do it to change my DSO4104C to a 250MHz ?

Offline McJanDK77

Please some one Help !!!! Is this a dead forum or are people just ignoring ?

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
Tera Term should do it.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline vladsol

• Contributor
Which pins\testpoints must be shorted on the DSO4102C PCB to force sd card boot?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 04:55:10 pm by vladsol »

Offline mdanh2002

• Contributor
    • ToughDev - We Love Technical Sharing!
A few weeks ago I hacked by Rigol DS1054Z to 100MGz, GW-INSTEK GDS1054B to 300MHz and Hantek DSO4084C to 250MHz and used a function generator to measure the 3dB point of these oscilloscopes after the hack. Long story short, after taking into account measurement inaccuracies, I considered the upgrade to 100MHz for the Rigol DS1054Z (official bandwidth: 50MHz) and to 250MHz for the Hantek DSO4084C (official bandwidth: 80MHz) has been successful. The upgrade to 300MHz for the GW-INSTEK GDS1054B is in no doubt a failure, in so far as the 3dB point is at only 100MHz, and not at 300MHz, had the upgrade been successful.

But it's quality not quantity that counts. During my tests, the Rigol DS1054Z can still display 600MHz input signals (albeit at a very low amplitude), which can't be discerned from noises on the Hantek. Measurements on the Hantek are also much less accurate compared with the other two oscilloscopes.

You can see the full write-up here http://www.toughdev.com/content/2023/03/rigol-ds1054z-gw-instek-gds1054b-and-hantek-dso4084c-digital-oscilloscopes/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 03:30:43 am by mdanh2002 »

Offline mario sanz

Hello,
I own a kkmoon DSO4102s which obviously is a Hantek DSO4102C. The installed SW-Version is 3.50.0(181203.0) and the HW-Version is 1020xffffa000.
Unfortunately Kkmoon does not have any firmware update for this model and the support do not response at all.
Does anybody know if I can update as well using the Hantek firmware?

As the next step, I would like to make the BW upgrade but I do not find a tool for the DSO4102C to make a firmware backup.
I have seen how "Microcheap" did the upgrade with the 4072C and I have read the guideline from "W1ZZT3XX" for upgrading the DSO4xx4BC. (by the way, thank you so much for sharing)

Does anybody know if I can use the tool nandbackup_V2 for my scope?
or would the method from "W1ZZT3XX" do the job? (UNIX Shell =>"Type cp /config/root/system.inf /config/root/system.infBackup in order to create a local backup file.")

Thank you very much in advance for yor help.

Mario

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf