Author Topic: US$150 Class Multimeter  (Read 39031 times)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: US$150 Class Multimeter
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2020, 08:19:10 am »
Here is another multimeter with 3 AAA batteries from a German company that you probably never heard of: Testo

https://www.testo.com/en-ZA/testo-760-3/p/0590-7603

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:31:51 am by Wytnucls »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2020, 11:15:11 am »
Here is another multimeter with 3 AAA batteries from a German company that you probably never heard of: Testo

I thought they had sent Dave a large box of their products.  He spent a few minutes looking at one and that was pretty much it.  I wondered if these suffer with the same problems at the Gossen Ultra. 

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2020, 11:26:38 am »
I thought they had sent Dave a large box of their products.  He spent a few minutes looking at one and that was pretty much it.

12 minutes actually, including teardown

https://youtu.be/n-pZHhqP4XU?t=720

The following users thanked this post: Wytnucls, Marco1971

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2020, 11:43:05 am »
I assume those are latching and without the shield could change states like the Gossen Ultra.   Maybe they have feedback to detect the state of the relay, unlike the Gossen.   I would have liked to have seen you do more with them but I certainly understand that it takes time.   

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2020, 02:21:18 pm »
I hadn't seen that particular video.

2 small corrections:
The probe tip CAT IV shrouds do come off.
AC or DC Volt/Amp can be chosen as default on power up by pressing Min Max in auto mode.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:26:49 pm by Wytnucls »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2020, 12:06:27 am »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:09:25 am by coromonadalix »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:54 am »
More info on the bluetooth and firmware.

"Firmware update will need Custom-made Programmer. I have informed related colleagues to get the quote and lead time.

"There are still some Bluetooth technical issues for us to overcome Current xxxxx models may not be able to add BT module directly to be xxxxxBT models (xxxxx models with BT interface capability). Current xxxxx circuits may be in need of being modified to accommodate BT module."

So not as flexible as I was hoping  :(

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #207 on: August 14, 2020, 01:38:54 am »
So, I am curious now: it seems there are two models then? Or is it just one where you are trying to shoehorn a BT module in it? Sorry if you replied to this earlier, but this has been a crazy year and anything older than one month quickly fades.

If two models, is the $150 with or without BT?
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2020, 05:31:40 am »
So, I am curious now: it seems there are two models then? Or is it just one where you are trying to shoehorn a BT module in it? Sorry if you replied to this earlier, but this has been a crazy year and anything older than one month quickly fades.
If two models, is the $150 with or without BT?

There are two different meters. The $150 one will definitely happen as I have placed an order. It does not come with Bluetooth. I was hoping it would have the capability to user retrofit a module, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There will eventually be a Bluetooth version of this meter, and maybe I'll eventually carry that instead, but that seems to be some time off. The non-BT version will be released first.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:09:18 am by EEVblog »

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2020, 04:51:02 am »
Update on the bluetooth option, they have "some technical issues to overcome" and have no ETA on that.

This is the first that I've actually even considered the value of Bluetooth on a multimeter.   The more that I think about it, the more I might end up  putting it on my must have list.

As for the other meter floating about your site, the "non contact voltage detection" could also end up n the must have list.   As much as I like Fluke, the reality is they seem to be feature stingy.   As long as the features are useful, they can drive people to alternative vendors.   

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2020, 05:08:03 am »
As for the other meter floating about your site, the "non contact voltage detection" could also end up n the must have list.   As much as I like Fluke, the reality is they seem to be feature stingy.   As long as the features are useful, they can drive people to alternative vendors.

I use the NCV on the BM235, it's quite handy.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2020, 06:54:48 am »
Update on the bluetooth option, they have "some technical issues to overcome" and have no ETA on that.

This is the first that I've actually even considered the value of Bluetooth on a multimeter.   The more that I think about it, the more I might end up  putting it on my must have list.

Fluke does have a model with something along the lines of NCV; aimed at electricians. I've not tested it, but it has received a fair deal of angry words from people who think it is unsafe.

To be fair, not everyone agrees.

Edit: bleeping Youtube plugin finding links and doing embeds.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:58:56 am by mansaxel »

Offline Mp3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2020, 08:03:42 am »
Hoping this is able to be released relatively soon... The need for a BT capable multimeter is real! :clap:

My main use case for BT is logging, I assume that is what others would be doing too but better to know than to guess.
High school graduate

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2020, 08:13:10 am »
Fluke has the NCV feature on the 117, with 2 sensitivity modes.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2020, 09:22:43 am »
My UT139C has an NCV, my Fluke 87V does not. Guess what I use for NCV testing?

That's right, my Fluke VoltAlert voltstick.

When you've a bundle of 50+ cables in some trunking, getting a full size hand-held meter inside, and onto one specific cable is not a realistic proposition. A voltstick is small enough to do this.

It's about using the right tool for the job, and I'd bet 99% of people who aren't electricians but are using NCV, get a false sense of safety from using one. They have their limitations, and in all honesty even most of the sparkies I know don't use them correctly. I frequently have to remind people to prove them prior to each use.

I like AvE's videos, but he's not an electrician or EE. Nevertheless I have an instinctive distrust of those T6's, as it seems to me they've introduced the potential for a dangerous user error mode. This vid gets straight to the point:

I'll stick to my T5, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:24:28 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2020, 09:46:35 am »
When you've a bundle of 50+ cables in some trunking, getting a full size hand-held meter inside, and onto one specific cable is not a realistic proposition. A voltstick is small enough to do this.
It's about using the right tool for the job, and I'd bet 99% of people who aren't electricians but are using NCV, get a false sense of safety from using one. They have their limitations, and in all honesty even most of the sparkies I know don't use them correctly. I frequently have to remind people to prove them prior to each use.

Of course, horses for courses. Most electricians for example don't even need a multimeter for most things, special purpose tools do the job better and easier. It's called a MULTImeter for a reason, it's not really a master at any one thing.
I have a Fluke Voltstick but mostly use the BM235 because it's always to hand, whereas the Voltstick is so rarely used I can never find it straight away.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:49:33 am by EEVblog »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2020, 07:19:24 pm »

I use the Fluke Voltlight LVD2 most of the time for this job just because it also has a powerful flashlight. The meters I have used that feature both NCV and a flashlight are unsafe to use on these scenarios.  :palm:

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2020, 01:33:22 am »
I just noticed that the new meter has much faster updating in DC voltage and current mode in Record mode, and they have confirmed 10 times per second, so twice the usual update rate.
Very interesting.

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2020, 12:21:32 pm »
I use the Fluke Voltlight LVD2 most of the time for this job just because it also has a powerful flashlight. The meters I have used that feature both NCV and a flashlight are unsafe to use on these scenarios.  :palm:

I am on the same side. That is really wired when you need to put two cables into socket and keeping screw driver in mouth. That is not safe situation,  wrong body  move and one probe will fall out of  power socket -  ready to give you some shock massage ...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:48:33 pm by MiroS »

The following users thanked this post: mig_skyfighter

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2020, 03:46:38 pm »
I have a Fluke Voltstick but mostly use the BM235 because it's always to hand, whereas the Voltstick is so rarely used I can never find it straight away.

As you say, it's different strokes for different folks. For me it's part of my uniform, the one tool I always have, above even a terminal driver or pliers!

Most of the time a two probe tester and installation tester are all a sparks needs, but VFDs need multimeters, as do fire alarms and emergency lights which usually have voltages and currents too low for electrician specific testers.

/off topic

Disappointing about the BT problems, that's a feature that really piques my interest.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2020, 06:52:39 am »
I just noticed that the new meter has much faster updating in DC voltage and current mode in Record mode, and they have confirmed 10 times per second, so twice the usual update rate.
Very interesting.

I asked if it's possible to get the 10 times/sec updating in normal V/A modes, and they said if you want the fast 10/sec updating just use the Record function.
Only problem is the damn thing beeps all the time.
I presume it's possible to have 10/sec updating and they software slow it down to 5/sec. They have confirmed there is no loss in resolution in the 10/sec mode.
Would people prefer 10/sec or 5/sec in normal mode? (or a power-on option as I suggested to them).

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2020, 12:22:36 pm »
I presume it's possible to have 10/sec updating and they software slow it down to 5/sec. They have confirmed there is no loss in resolution in the 10/sec mode.
Would people prefer 10/sec or 5/sec in normal mode? (or a power-on option as I suggested to them).
You already answered the ideal solution (power on option) - to be perfect, it could "stick" as the default, but that may be a tall request.

If left as a single option, I personally would prefer a feeling of a more stable reading - i.e., 5Hz.

The Keysights are faster that the typical meter and sometimes drive me a bit insane with their update rates.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »
I agree with rsjsouza, 5 Hz update rate is as fast as you can read comfortably. I never use my benchtop meters on faster than 10 PLC because it makes last few digits just a blur that is just unreadable. You do get information that signal is  noisy though.
So ideally it should be configurable, with 5 Hz being default.

10 Hz sampling is very good for logging though.

One suggestion: make an option that with key combination you can disable all system sounds except continuity beeper. And make it remember your choice... That is one thing I don't like about Brymens, you can disable it in power up, but you have to do it every.single.time....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 12:37:27 pm by 2N3055 »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2020, 02:21:04 pm »
An option to beep on "all measurements" or  "diode and shorts tests"  say  under 20 ohms ???    or something  like a specific command string sent to the meter ???

But you need bluetooth or wifi or at least an optical serial port ??

5 hz is fast enough  for me

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2020, 06:06:50 pm »
One suggestion: make an option that with key combination you can disable all system sounds except continuity beeper. And make it remember your choice... That is one thing I don't like about Brymens, you can disable it in power up, but you have to do it every.single.time....
Interesting... Does your Brymen beep like the cheap-o-meters that annoy me at every change of scale on the switch? Or is it only during recording/logging?

My BM857 is my quietest meter - pretty useful when I am doing something at the TV room with the missus watching some of their favourite shows. :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf