Author Topic: US$150 Class Multimeter  (Read 39026 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: US$150 Class Multimeter
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2020, 07:42:35 pm »
One suggestion: make an option that with key combination you can disable all system sounds except continuity beeper. And make it remember your choice... That is one thing I don't like about Brymens, you can disable it in power up, but you have to do it every.single.time....
Interesting... Does your Brymen beep like the cheap-o-meters that annoy me at every change of scale on the switch? Or is it only during recording/logging?

My BM857 is my quietest meter - pretty useful when I am doing something at the TV room with the missus watching some of their favourite shows. :-+

It doesn't beep  when you are rotating main switch, but it beeps on any keypress, and when in crest or min/max mode when it acquires  new extrema..... And it will remember operating modes but not this... grrrr..
You have to start it with Range button pressed and than it is quiet..

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2020, 06:07:29 am »
One suggestion: make an option that with key combination you can disable all system sounds except continuity beeper. And make it remember your choice... That is one thing I don't like about Brymens, you can disable it in power up, but you have to do it every.single.time....

I checked, and it doesn't save it. Will request that!

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #227 on: September 04, 2020, 06:14:30 am »

I also just found that when beep is disabled it actually disables the continuity buzzer! I guess their idea there was that the flashing backlight visual alert was enough?
Have asked them if they can fix that.
I can't imagine that such  "continuity always beeps" isn't more useful than not.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, voltsandjolts, 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: September 04, 2020, 06:55:13 am »

I also just found that when beep is disabled it actually disables the continuity buzzer! I guess their idea there was that the flashing backlight visual alert was enough?
Have asked them if they can fix that.
I can't imagine that such  "continuity always beeps" isn't more useful than not.

Thanks for listening. 

I specifically asked that because i did try some meters that were "all or nothing" i.e. you either can have beep all the time or if you make i silent than it disables even continuity...
Brymen does it properly, but doesn't remember ...

Regards,

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #229 on: September 04, 2020, 07:19:48 am »
I specifically asked that because i did try some meters that were "all or nothing" i.e. you either can have beep all the time or if you make i silent than it disables even continuity...

This one is a Brymen and it disables the continuity.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, AVGresponding, Corner

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2020, 10:24:57 am »

LOL.
869S doesn't. I will try 525S when I get back to office...

EDIT: I tried and yes, 525S and 869S behave the same in regards to beeps.   If you start them with RANGE button pressed they beep only on continuity. Otherwise they are Mr. Beepalot.....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:39:43 am by 2N3055 »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #231 on: September 04, 2020, 12:02:19 pm »
It doesn't beep  when you are rotating main switch, but it beeps on any keypress, and when in crest or min/max mode when it acquires  new extrema..... And it will remember operating modes but not this... grrrr..
You have to start it with Range button pressed and than it is quiet..
I see now. The BM857 is the same but you need to press the ~Hz button at power up.

LOL.
869S doesn't. I will try 525S when I get back to office...
Neither the BM857 - the continuity beep stays on.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2020, 12:29:51 pm »

I can't think of a single reason why you would want to turn off the continuity buzzer.

"Screen lights up" doesn't cut it because you have to take your eyes off the job and it might be in a very fiddly situation where you need to keep both eyes on the probes.

(or a very dangerous one...)

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #233 on: September 04, 2020, 12:34:19 pm »
U1272A disables continuity buzzer :palm:
Still my fav handheld DMM though.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2020, 12:37:38 pm »

It's a Brymen, everybody!

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2020, 02:26:05 pm »
At last  loll

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2020, 02:47:20 pm »

I can't think of a single reason why you would want to turn off the continuity buzzer.

"Screen lights up" doesn't cut it because you have to take your eyes off the job and it might be in a very fiddly situation where you need to keep both eyes on the probes.

If it's within range of your peripheral vision, that's actually more sensitive to motion (changing light levels) than your central vision.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2020, 11:25:00 pm »
A good feature would be to have a variable audible tone following the measurents values,  that way you hear what you measure, no need to have your eyes on the meter,  that was very practical to follow some glitches, had this  on a Fieldpiece hd7x  meter and an Beckman Industrial / Wavetek hd160,  i miss that feature

EDIT march 2023
It was an Fieldpiece HB77   loll
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 02:48:47 am by coromonadalix »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2020, 05:03:45 am »
A good feature would be to have a variable audible tone following the measurents values,  that way you hear what you measure, no need to have your eyes on the meter,  that was very practical to follow some glitches, had this  on a Fieldpiece hd7x  meter and an Beckman Industrial / Wavetek hd160,  i miss that feature

clever feature

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2020, 08:33:04 am »
They are seeing if they have the code space left to add the features. They must be close to the edge I guess.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2020, 12:18:26 am »

clever feature
Keysight's U1273A also has this. I personally don't use it (I like quieteness)

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2020, 10:52:25 am »

clever feature

Same here. I would like if somebody would think of loudness control for meters. Most meters have sound volume set for work on industrial machines....
That is too loud for office/lab work....At least for me... Also tone is usually quite annoying (probably on purpose). A softer, more gentle tone for quiet environments would be nice...

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2020, 11:11:06 am »
Yes and perhaps something not as startling as a loud beep, when you least expect it, stabbing yourself in recoil, with your sharp probes. A little tune would solve the problem, like the kumbaya song for example.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, 2N3055

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2020, 03:56:56 pm »
A little tune would solve the problem, like the kumbaya song for example.

I think the keysight/agilents do that, too.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2020, 05:47:45 pm »
Yes and perhaps something not as startling as a loud beep, when you least expect it, stabbing yourself in recoil, with your sharp probes. A little tune would solve the problem, like the kumbaya song for example.
:-DD :-DD :-DD
To me the absolutely worst offender is the U1282A. It screams for absolutely everything, let it be the over sensitive NCV or the A/mA/uA jack alerts, to the point of me actually avoiding it at work (I work on a cubicle and neighbours are usually quiet). That despite having a very sensible beeping setting that disables the power on beep and its frequency can be set.

I have absolutely no idea why Keysight left such unconfigurable loud beep in an otherwise very capable handheld meter.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2020, 01:25:28 am »
Thats why  all our toughts, brain storming and feedbacks could help dave make a good meter ...  and  this one could evolve in the future with an added wifi or bluetooth connection,  even an optical one would be nice ...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #246 on: September 07, 2020, 01:29:00 am »

clever feature

Same here. I would like if somebody would think of loudness control for meters. Most meters have sound volume set for work on industrial machines....
That is too loud for office/lab work....At least for me... Also tone is usually quite annoying (probably on purpose). A softer, more gentle tone for quiet environments would be nice...

Depends on how the hardware is implemented. If it's a buzzer, then no chance of changing it. It needs to be a software controlled piezo element.
This new meter looks like it uses a buzzer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:30:50 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Marco1971

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #247 on: September 07, 2020, 02:44:25 am »

Flashing the screen AND beeping would be very valuable.    Also adjustability in volume would make a huge difference.   I find most continuity beepers to be almost useless out in the field in a manufacturing plant.   I'm talking cases where the meter isn't any further away than standard test leads would allow.   So more engaging signaling to the user is something that should be looked into.    Sometimes I think an LED bar graph dedicated to this need would be grand (fast and bright), but that might look like a kludge.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2020, 03:00:44 am »
I just noticed that the new meter has much faster updating in DC voltage and current mode in Record mode, and they have confirmed 10 times per second, so twice the usual update rate.
Very interesting.

I asked if it's possible to get the 10 times/sec updating in normal V/A modes, and they said if you want the fast 10/sec updating just use the Record function.
Only problem is the damn thing beeps all the time.
I presume it's possible to have 10/sec updating and they software slow it down to 5/sec. They have confirmed there is no loss in resolution in the 10/sec mode.
Would people prefer 10/sec or 5/sec in normal mode? (or a power-on option as I suggested to them).

Beeping can be irritating at times but I'd rather that it is never shut off entirely.   the meter should beep for example in an error state or when something like the battery is about to fail.   So in some cases beeping should never be overridden however in normal mode the more control you have over sound generation the better.   I realize this is a handheld and there is a limit to what can easily be built into such a device.

As for update rates there are time faster is better and is one reason why an analog meter can still be useful.   Some times you just need a quickly seen indication of the inputs direction / behavior.   Finding ground faults in a machine is one example where quick is good.

Dave

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2020, 03:12:33 am »
As for update rates there are time faster is better and is one reason why an analog meter can still be useful.   Some times you just need a quickly seen indication of the inputs direction / behavior.   Finding ground faults in a machine is one example where quick is good.

That's what the 50/sec bargraph update rate is good for.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, 2N3055, Marco1971

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf