Author Topic: US$150 Class Multimeter  (Read 39017 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: US$150 Class Multimeter
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2020, 12:41:12 pm »
Are you going to run it through the dial-grinding machine?

Not when there is only one in existence.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2020, 05:53:53 am »
The use and abuse of hot melt glue is something that bothers me

The first time I saw cable installation by hotsnoot I had a fit. Alarm company at my parents house, late 90s. Apparently, it was and probably is a thing in that business, unless they're completely over on the spreading-dung-in-the-ISM-band wireless now.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2020, 10:16:36 am »

The first time I saw cable installation by hotsnoot I had a fit. Alarm company at my parents house, late 90s. Apparently, it was and probably is a thing in that business, unless they're completely over on the spreading-dung-in-the-ISM-band wireless now.
Wow, for cable installation is really cheap job. It gives massive headaches if you (the user) need to do any sort of maintenance on the wiring in the future.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2020, 05:07:28 pm »

Wow, for cable installation is really cheap job. It gives massive headaches if you (the user) need to do any sort of maintenance on the wiring in the future.

Not to mention the fact that if the wire heats up due to a fault, the glue will melt and allow it flap freely in the breeze.

Metal P-clips or GTFO
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2020, 05:26:56 pm »
I am really wondering how the new multimeter will be able to fix all these hot melt glue issues  :-DD

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2020, 06:06:37 pm »
I am really wondering how the new multimeter will be able to fix all these hot melt glue issues  :-DD

I guess we'll find out at some point.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2020, 11:04:39 am »
Just got the final FOB price for the new meter.
Yep, more than capable of selling it for under $150.
I've got to decide whether or not to include the magnetic hanger as standard though. It's 5.4% extra on the FOB price, which is not a no-brainer like the silicone leads.
Do people use these magnetic hangers?
Although this unit is technically more "electrical" oriented than the BM235 and 121GW, it's likely to be sold primarily for electronics work I suspect.
I'm more inclined to make the hanger optional.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:49:13 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, Corner

Offline umbro

• Contributor
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2020, 01:25:00 pm »
¨I'm more inclined to make the hanger optional¨ +1 :-+

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2020, 01:44:25 pm »
¨I'm more inclined to make the hanger optional¨ +1 :-+
Another +1 for this.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2020, 02:04:52 pm »
More electrically oriented than a meter with no-contact voltage and a phase rotation variant? The BM235 is pretty electrically oriented..

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2020, 02:32:59 pm »
I personally like hangers and feel they would have saved me quite a few times, but don't use them as often simply because I couldn't be bothered to spend the extra money to buy the accessory.

The included hanger becomes about $7~8 FOB, thus it may give a bad impression if the overall price goes over $150 if bundled. On the other hand, hangers are more tightly coupled with the equipment (in contrast to leads or holsters, for example) and it may make business sense if it brings a sense of completeness to the product offer - nice probes, hanger, a nice holster... Bonus points for alligator clips, probe lights...  :-DD

Also, sometimes OEMs give extra perks (as price breaks) the more accessories you include, but you didn't allude to that. 

The hanger sold separately will surely be more expensive than $7~8, which will reduce the number of sold hangers and therefore it may not be advantageous to even carry them in your store (too much hassle, expensive international shipping, etc.).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2020, 03:23:43 pm »

Hanger = optional.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2020, 05:52:41 pm »
I have hanger for Brymen and used it once, to see how it works..
Many cabinets I work on are stainless steel  and non magnetic  :palm:
I would go with optional.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2020, 06:02:26 pm »
People who need hangers are going to buy Flukes.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2020, 06:09:01 pm »
People who need hangers are going to buy Flukes.

Or Megger, or Kewtech, or Fieldpiece, or some other industry-specific brand.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2020, 02:36:55 am »
More electrically oriented than a meter with no-contact voltage and a phase rotation variant? The BM235 is pretty electrically oriented..

True, but this one is high CAT rating and has AutoHold. And it's clearly designed to look like and compete against the Fluke 70 series (but with electronics capability)

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2020, 02:40:34 am »
The included hanger becomes about $7~8 FOB, thus it may give a bad impression if the overall price goes over $150 if bundled. On the other hand, hangers are more tightly coupled with the equipment (in contrast to leads or holsters, for example) and it may make business sense if it brings a sense of completeness to the product offer - nice probes, hanger, a nice holster... Bonus points for alligator clips, probe lights...  :-DD

I don't have a case for this yet, my existing BM235/121GW doesn't fit. So yeah, kinda agree it has to be all or nothing.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2020, 09:25:05 am »
It's getting closer.
The over-mold case compared to the BM235 holster.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, fanOfeeDIY, maginnovision, umbro

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2020, 08:47:02 am »
Just got the final FOB price for the new meter.
Yep, more than capable of selling it for under $150.
This is sounding interesting I may have to go back and read the entire thread.
I've got to decide whether or not to include the magnetic hanger as standard though. It's 5.4% extra on the FOB price, which is not a no-brainer like the silicone leads.
Do people use these magnetic hangers?
I possibly would.   I run around a large plant with a Fluke clamp on ammeter / multi meter and often use that clamp to hang the meter in a panel box.   Yes the find current probe clamp gets reduced to a meter hanger.   However the bigger problem with magnetic hangers is simply find a place to stick them in a panel box, the equipment I work on is dense to say the least.   So I might suggest that a magnetic holder isn't universally useful it would get used where there is a place to stick it but that is not always the case.

A better solution to the magnetic holder might be a totally non metallic strap with a non metallic clip/buckle or carabiner.  Something like these straps: https://www.rei.com/product/848428/redpoint-1-webbing-straps-with-side-release-buckles-package-of-2   The nice thing about such straps is that you can wrap them around round things like pipe, wire bundles in a panel box, ladder rungs, door knobs or whatever.   Further if the interface to the meter is correct you can make up a strap system of any length you might need.   You can achieve the same thing with Velcro (hook and Loop) backed straps like these: https://www.rei.com/product/848430/redpoint-sport-wrap-package-of-2   In both cases we have a completely non metallic solution that will work in may instances.

Now such straps will not solve every meter hanging need and in some instances a magnet would be the right solution.   In such cases I'd consider offering up a magnet solution that is a purchasable add on item.   ideally it would work with the hanging straps already included.

In case you are wondering in the industrial world finding a place to park your meter is actually a real problem.   It is even a bigger issue if you have to climb a ladder or up on top of a big tool to get where the electronics are.
Although this unit is technically more "electrical" oriented than the BM235 and 121GW, it's likely to be sold primarily for electronics work I suspect.
I'm more inclined to make the hanger optional.
These days "electrical" is often "electronics".   Ideally the meter will have a way to cleanly attach a strap to it.   That would solve a lot of problems for many people.   A lot of meters or their rubber boots don't allow for hanging.   Often there is not even a place to run string through.   If the meter or its rubber boot simply provides for a way to attach a strap or rope we can take it for there.  Oh this is important, the hanging position needs to be such that the meter doesn't point downward.   It doesn't do anyone any good if the face of the meter is pointing downwards like a shy girl embarrassed by your observation of her beauty.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2020, 09:21:48 am »
For those of use on a no Alkaline bender I'm really hoping that this meter has no problems with the various rechargeable or lithium battery solutions.   In fact if you have any influence at this stage of development it would be nice to have official confirmation that the various forms of lithium AAA batteries will not be a problem.

This is sounding more and more like a very nice meter that I might want to have.  If you could provide a bit more info on the temperature measuring capabilities that would be most welcomed.   One point here is will it linearize J and K type thermocouples or are we stuck with a solid state sensor.

With this virus going about I'm not even sure if my current job will exists by the time the meter ships but I'm very interested.   Unlike many here I see a great little middle of the road solution.   Just hoping that as more info comes out it remains looking appealing.

By the way I just read about the blue tooth module foot print (reading the thread backwards) and must say that is sad news.   It is probably expecting too much to try to get the manufacture to make the foot print active.

Battery current measured at 4mA, and cutoff voltage is 3.55V for 3xAAA's. Has to be 3.55V because there is a 3.5V reg inside. Those playing along at home can do battery life estimations.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2020, 11:06:40 am »
For those of use on a no Alkaline bender I'm really hoping that this meter has no problems with the various rechargeable or lithium battery solutions.   In fact if you have any influence at this stage of development it would be nice to have official confirmation that the various forms of lithium AAA batteries will not be a problem.

I'll ask. Could test it myself of course, but nice to have official confirmation.

This is sounding more and more like a very nice meter that I might want to have.  If you could provide a bit more info on the temperature measuring capabilities that would be most welcomed.   One point here is will it linearize J and K type thermocouples or are we stuck with a solid state sensor.

Standard K-Type.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2020, 11:40:50 am »
These days "electrical" is often "electronics".   Ideally the meter will have a way to cleanly attach a strap to it.   That would solve a lot of problems for many people.   A lot of meters or their rubber boots don't allow for hanging.   Often there is not even a place to run string through.   If the meter or its rubber boot simply provides for a way to attach a strap or rope we can take it for there.

Yep. A slot that can take some nylon webbing would be great. No proprietary slots or special clips.

Oh this is important, the hanging position needs to be such that the meter doesn't point downward.   It doesn't do anyone any good if the face of the meter is pointing downwards like a shy girl embarrassed by your observation of her beauty.

That's an interesting metaphor...

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2020, 01:18:26 pm »
Is this your multimeter, Wizard?

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2020, 12:26:55 am »
These days "electrical" is often "electronics".   Ideally the meter will have a way to cleanly attach a strap to it.   That would solve a lot of problems for many people.   A lot of meters or their rubber boots don't allow for hanging.   Often there is not even a place to run string through.   If the meter or its rubber boot simply provides for a way to attach a strap or rope we can take it for there.

Yep. A slot that can take some nylon webbing would be great. No proprietary slots or special clips.

Oh this is important, the hanging position needs to be such that the meter doesn't point downward.   It doesn't do anyone any good if the face of the meter is pointing downwards like a shy girl embarrassed by your observation of her beauty.

That's an interesting metaphor...

If you have ever climbed up a ladder or over a large tool and struggle to find a place to hang your meter you will understand.   I seems like the world is working against you to ever let you easily see that meter screen.    As for the face of the meter looking at the ground, I can't even count the number of times I've reached for the meters chin to turn the face of the meter up so that I can actually see the meters pretty  display.   This is a lot like trying to get a blushing teenage girl to look you in the eye, the only difference is you can't talk the meter into looking at you.

By the way this is one reason why I'd love to see a DMM that has a rotating display.   Imagine a Nikon Speedlight with the rotating head optimized for the meters display.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2020, 02:16:08 am »
By the way this is one reason why I'd love to see a DMM that has a rotating display.   Imagine a Nikon Speedlight with the rotating head optimized for the meters display.
Ooof!  :o

You'll be paying for that little feature!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf