Author Topic: US$150 Class Multimeter  (Read 39027 times)

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
Re: US$150 Class Multimeter
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2020, 04:06:39 am »
By the way this is one reason why I'd love to see a DMM that has a rotating display.   Imagine a Nikon Speedlight with the rotating head optimized for the meters display.
Ooof!  :o

You'll be paying for that little feature!

Yes I know but honestly it would be more useful than a lot of features I've see on instruments.   The combination of finding a place to put your meter or hang it, and then have that meter be visible to you is a constant problem for people in industry.   You end all over a machine looking for shorts or opens or whatever and then the meter is suddenly not visible, well its screen isn't.

Which brings up another important feature big fat digits and a strong back light!   Seriously this was a huge advancement when meters started improving in this area.   In fact I'd take big bright digits over lots of digits almost anytime for general diagnostic work.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2020, 05:36:19 am »
Which brings up another important feature big fat digits and a strong back light!   Seriously this was a huge advancement when meters started improving in this area.   In fact I'd take big bright digits over lots of digits almost anytime for general diagnostic work.
This is something that makes the 87V a more pleasing meter when compared to its more advanced cousin 189.

Regarding backlight, I think that Keysight and its orange glow are the best among the meters I have tested. I have a U1282A with that glow. I also have a U1273A - this one with its OLED display wins hands down in visibility indoors.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2020, 11:57:53 am »

This one has big digits, but don't recall if same size as the BM235, I think it is, will have to check when back in the lab.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2020, 12:35:33 pm »
Keysight orange glow ??? erk  never loved that color,  it does'nt offer a good contrast in certain situations, can't see the digit from distance,  a light yellow / green or light blue is more efficient

The brymen 857s  was fun to read,  the Fluke 189 arent bad, but the light is not well diffused, you see two big led spots on the right  loll

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2020, 12:41:05 pm »
Yes I know but honestly it would be more useful than a lot of features I've see on instruments.   The combination of finding a place to put your meter or hang it, and then have that meter be visible to you is a constant problem for people in industry.

Get a Fluke 233 and strap the display to your wrist:

https://www.fluke.com/en/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-233

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2020, 03:19:42 pm »
Yes I know but honestly it would be more useful than a lot of features I've see on instruments.   The combination of finding a place to put your meter or hang it, and then have that meter be visible to you is a constant problem for people in industry.
I was thinking with some of the meters, you could send the data to your Apple watch. 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2020, 04:19:34 pm »
I was thinking with some of the meters, you could send the data to your Apple watch.

I was thinking that, too, but it probably won't happen so long as Fluke can make money by selling you yellow watches.

The 233 seems a bit of a swing/miss for Fluke. They went to all that trouble then forgot to make it wearable.

I'm sure I've seen lots of meters which hang around your neck and you can look down at the display.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:23:41 pm by Fungus »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2020, 04:37:49 pm »
I don't think it would be too much of a problem to make a small remote reader.  Finding a meter with wireless that an industrial electrician would use on the other hand.  Are you going to take the certified  121G?   The UT181A?  The OWON?    What about that Gossen Ultra (or what ever they are now calling it)?     

The other problem is how do you keep it simple enough for them to make use of it.   You want something that you turn it on and it just works.  You wouldn't want to be trying to sort out why your watch doesn't connect to your meter when you are trying to get the job done. 

That Fluke may be the best choice out there today.

Offline No.15

• Contributor
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2020, 06:03:24 pm »
A meter that's not to big physically but with a great screen I can see with giant numbers for 150 would be an instant sale for me.  I love my Bryman 869s but it's to big physically and my old style fluke 77 is starting to have major issues.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2020, 12:49:23 am »
I don't think it would be too much of a problem to make a small remote reader.  Finding a meter with wireless that an industrial electrician would use on the other hand.  Are you going to take the certified  121G?   The UT181A?  The OWON?    What about that Gossen Ultra (or what ever they are now calling it)?     

The other problem is how do you keep it simple enough for them to make use of it.   You want something that you turn it on and it just works.  You wouldn't want to be trying to sort out why your watch doesn't connect to your meter when you are trying to get the job done. 

That Fluke may be the best choice out there today.
IIRC, the 233 uses Zigbee or a proprietary algorithm with a much simpler authentication/validation protocol.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2020, 01:14:49 am »
That CEM DT9939 is also really simple but being so simple,  I'm not sure how it would handle several meters all talking at once.   I don't remember the meters having a unique identifier like Bluetooth and Ethernet. 

Maybe we could buy some cheap Google heads up glasses coupled with that funny pen meter that was all the rage.... 

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2020, 02:06:26 am »
Always have the U1115A that works for most of their meters.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2020, 09:14:51 am »
Re magnetic hangar.  Make sure you think about shipping issues with magnets.  I wound up with a box-of-meters without magnets once because of shipping problems.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2020, 08:36:39 am »
I think there is always a good thing if new product is on the market, but if this rebranded one  than I would always prefere solid shop with good reputation. There must be a respected producer/service  behind otherwise I would not pay 150 for something I can grab localy and at lower price and protected by EU law.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2020, 05:26:14 pm »
Fluke has an interesting concept here and I actually thought about going that route once.   However the price tag is well over 2X the costs of what is being described here.   For out fitting my personal lab the Fluke is hard to justify.   

https://www.fluke.com/en/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-233

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2020, 05:27:57 pm »
Fluke has an interesting concept here and I actually thought about going that route once.   However the price tag is well over 2X the costs of what is being described here.   For out fitting my personal lab the Fluke is hard to justify.   

It's not a "lab" multimeter. It's a meter for people who go to job sites.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2020, 05:28:40 pm »

Is that a real thing???    I have not seen watch integration advertised anywhere.   

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2020, 05:33:54 pm »

It's not a "lab" multimeter. It's a meter for people who go to job sites.

There are few labs that don't have a handheld meter.   Further unless my body goes completely to hell I expect to be using it portable for some time.   

So far what I'm looking at or why I'm looking at this meter is that it has the chops to be suitable on the bench and on site.    It is a good way to balance capability against cost for and for the personal lab cost is everything.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2020, 10:45:02 am »
For those of use on a no Alkaline bender I'm really hoping that this meter has no problems with the various rechargeable or lithium battery solutions.   In fact if you have any influence at this stage of development it would be nice to have official confirmation that the various forms of lithium AAA batteries will not be a problem.
I'll ask. Could test it myself of course, but nice to have official confirmation.

Confirmed, Lithium AAA's no problem.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2020, 10:52:23 am »

This one has big digits, but don't recall if same size as the BM235, I think it is, will have to check when back in the lab.

Not as big as the BM235, 19mm vs 21mm digits.

The following users thanked this post: CDN_Torsten

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2020, 11:21:01 am »
@Dave

Do you have some specs spreadsheet to resume the meter capabilities ??

thks   

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2020, 04:15:23 pm »
Hmm, screen looks like SANWA. If I am not wrong they use Brymen technology.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2020, 04:44:30 am »
This meter is looking pretty good.   Now my bank account is talking to me because I've been looking for a communications receiver maybe even a Ham rig.   There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground when it comes to communications receivers these days.

In any event Dave, looking forward to the day when you can spill all the specs and other info.  At the moment it is sounding rather good.   By the way I'm surprised that they are using triple "A" batteries in the unit, must be a very modern low power design.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2020, 05:37:10 am »
@Dave
Do you have some specs spreadsheet to resume the meter capabilities ??

Yes, he does...  :-DMM

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2020, 06:26:51 am »
Update on the bluetooth option, they have "some technical issues to overcome" and have no ETA on that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf