Author Topic: USB cable tester  (Read 1039 times)

Offline artagTopic starter

• Super Contributor
USB cable tester
« on: October 26, 2021, 10:44:14 am »
Does anyone know of a USB cable tester that can test more than the minimum power and data pins ?

I can find multiple network testers with a USB option, but it's usually just type A and B connectors - no USB3, C, mini, micro etc.

I can also find a single chinese tester that does have most of the options but only appears to measure the main 4 pins.

I'd like to be able to quickly distinguish power/data and power-only USB 2 cables, OTG host cables, USB 3 fast data path, and type C wiring such as reverse-pinning and PD.

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
Re: USB cable tester
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 02:56:22 pm »
I have this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/aroerina2/usb-cable-checker/#specs

It is no more available, but the design files are there.

I added a test for the connection of the shield, as for many cheep cables there is no shield. Eg. a USB 3.0 Cable for SSD Disks made a fritzbox send to much WLAN Signal over the USB Cable. It is described in the reviews.
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:11:54 pm by Kean »

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
Re: USB cable tester
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 03:34:03 am »
if you need to test the latest USB 3 and USB-C cables you need something like this: https://www.totalphase.com/media/datasheet/TP_Advanced_Cable_Tester_v2-Datasheet.pdf Serious overkill to check basic functions but important if your cable needs to deliver 100W+.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf