Author Topic: USB to GPIB  (Read 5219 times)

Offline eurofoxTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Music
USB to GPIB
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:53:35 pm »
Hi guy's,

I'm looking for a USB to GPIB interface to be able to communicate with my instruments.
Those toys are outrageous expensive and I’m looking for some alternative.
I found this one, anybody experience with it?

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/181253216568?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
This one is cheap  :-DD

eurofox
eurofox

Offline RFasic

• Contributor
Re: USB to GPIB
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »
Hi,

I got mine last week (F82357B) and it's a really nice piece of hardware.
It is fully compliant with the genuine Agilent model (fully usable under  Agilent IO library 16.0) and if you choose the mode "enable agilent GPIB cards for 488 programms" inside the Agilent software you can also use the nice software tools from John Miles ( KE5FX) and emulate a HP7470 plotter to import your instrument screen dislay.

I successfully used the F82357B with all my Agilent/HP devices (8712B, 8594E, 8591A, 437B .................)

I previously used a Prologix from my job and I found this one really more powerfull and compatible (Agilent, NI, KE5FX ...)

If this can help you ...

PS: the F model (versus the S ) is only a plus for people who whish to transfer a large amounts of datas.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:55:55 pm »
Hi,

It is fully compliant with the genuine Agilent model (fully usable under  Agilent IO library 16.0) and if you choose the mode "enable agilent GPIB cards for 488 programms" inside the Agilent software you can also use the nice software tools from John Miles ( KE5FX) and emulate a HP7470 plotter to import your instrument screen dislay.

I successfully used the F82357B with all my Agilent/HP devices (8712B, 8594E, 8591A, 437B .................)

I previously used a Prologix from my job and I found this one really more powerfull and compatible (Agilent, NI, KE5FX ...)

If this can help you ...

PS: the F model (versus the S ) is only a plus for people who whish to transfer a large amounts of datas.

Hi,

Thanks for the input, I will order one.

eurofox
eurofox

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:30 pm »
A search on this forum using the term 'GPIB' will give you what you want to know.....its been covered before.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »
A search on this forum using the term 'GPIB' will give you what you want to know.....its been covered before.

I did but nothing interesting in results |O

eurofox
eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:24:52 pm »
come on:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/gpib-to-usb-controlleradapter/msg213673/#msg213673
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-82357b-usb-ieee488gpib-adapter/msg275474/#msg275474

About Agilent GPIB yes but not about this particular low cost USB to GPIB.
There is a lot of information on the net about the NI and Agilent interface but those interfaces are not really in a price range for hobby use.

eurofox
eurofox

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:49:59 pm »
 :palm: :palm:

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 07:22:22 pm »
:palm: :palm:

Maybe you followed completely those treats from the beginning with all the links, I'm only 3 months on this forum.

Since I bought it now I know the name of this company and could recognise it in the treat.

Next time I will be scared to ask something here with this kind of remarks.

eurofox
eurofox

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:51 pm »
You asked a question about a device listed on ebay yet you did not search on the product name or GPIB. Sorry but that is laziness on your part. You have been treated very gently here compared to some forums. Please search before raising a new Topic thread. That is standard good manners on a forum so as not to have the same question asked many times by many people.

Your response that the links provided to you did not contain the details of the product is incorrect if you read all the pages. You deserved the double face palm for that. It was not for your original question.

This is a friendly forum but some common sense is still needed.  :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:51:07 pm by Aurora »

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 05:23:24 pm »
Hi,

If this can help you ...

The F(ast) uses DMA for the USB xfer , the S(low) doesn't.
This does not mean the S is not good (fast) enough for most usage , it is.

The F would typically be for users that streams serious binary measurements from their instruments.

I have been testing the Linix driver with Beiming , and it is working as well as my real HP-USB adapter with linux-gpib.
It will be in the "compatible list" , of the next linux-gpib release notes.

/Bingo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf