Author Topic: Hipot tester with 500VA  (Read 938 times)

Offline SpeederTopic starter

Hipot tester with 500VA
« on: October 13, 2019, 06:06:39 am »
Hi
I'm looking for a tester to do verification accordig to EN61439.
This demands :
AC high voltage test with minimum 2000V and 500VA
10A earth bound test
500v insulation test.

Any suggestion for a robust easy to use device?
Preferably not 5000$ price range.

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hipot tester with 500VA
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:31:52 am »
This is either going to be a three or two instrument setup for simplicity or a more complex single instrument setup.

There are AC HiPot / Flash Testers available that you would combine with a standard 500V insulation tester and then a micro-ohmmeter to carry out the bond test.

For a little more money you can get a combined AC / DC Flash Tester and then the micro-ohmmeter for the bond test.

You could look at the Kikusui range of Flash Testers, the TOS5200 and TOS5300 are AC only output and retail circa 1500USD to 2000USD. So if you already have an insulation tester, this could be an option. They also have a TOS5301 combined AC / DC tester circa 2300USD.

They also offer more sophisticated instruments along with bond testers, their website is linked below.

https://www.kikusui.co.jp/en/product/selection.php?Category=Electrical%20Safety%20Testers

An alternative to those is Clare Instruments from Seaward.

They do both the Sentinel and HAL ranges. Sentinel being cheaper and more manual control against the more expensive and automated HAL series.

The Sentinel 501 is circa 4800USD but will carry out all three tests. The Sentinel 500 is around 3200USD but only carries out the AC / DC testing and you would then need a micro-ohmmeter for the bond test. They do offer the B433R as a separate bond tester, but at circa 1100USD you are getting close to the price of a combined tester.

Seaward instrument details available at.

http://www.seaward.co.uk/products/industrial-electrical-safety-testing-measurement-equipment/safety-testing

The HAL series is likely to take you over the 5000USD mark.

These are all bench setups, if you wanted a more portable unit then you could take a look at something like the Metrel MI3394 but you are back up to the 4000USD mark or the Metrel MI3321, that is specifically aimed at this kind of testing that is a little cheaper. Both are capable of all the tests you want to do.

https://www.metrel.co.uk/uk/shop/

Unfortunately the words high voltage and compliance are always going to hurt your bank balance and the more functionality you add into an individual tester then the more complex they are to operate. Some do offer automated testing, so once setup, selecting the correct test program, hooking up the connections and verifying it is safe to test, is all you do.

I have used Seaward and Metrel instruments in the past and found them easy to use and reliable. I have never personally used Kikusui apparatus.

The alternative I have seen in production lines is the power side built up in-house and then calibrated instruments to take the measurements. This is probably cheaper, but more of an issue to setup with regards to safety and compliance. It does offer a more flexible test facility though, if your manufacturing is more bespoke items.

Kind regards.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf