Author Topic: Using (and living with) Siglent SDS1000X-E Series Oscilloscopes  (Read 10543 times)

Offline skempf

Re: Using (and living with) Siglent SDS1000X-E Series Oscilloscopes
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2021, 03:49:40 pm »
I don't have a 50Ω terminator, so I'm just using a probe. The FG (1032x) is set to 1MHz square wave, 50% duty, 1Vpp. Is this what one would expect to read on the scope?

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2021, 03:54:55 pm »
I don't have a 50Ω terminator, so I'm just using a probe. The FG (1032x) is set to 1MHz square wave, 50% duty, 1Vpp. Is this what one would expect to read on the scope?

Did you compensate the probe?  Are you using the BNC-probe adapter directly onto the SDG1032X?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline skempf

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2021, 04:12:00 pm »
I'm using a probe that came with the 1104x-e, on 10x setting, and checked the compensation prior to the above reading. I'm just holding the probe to the exposed BNC male connector on the 1032x.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2021, 04:21:49 pm »
I'm using a probe that came with the 1104x-e, on 10x setting, and checked the compensation prior to the above reading. I'm just holding the probe to the exposed BNC male connector on the 1032x.

The ringing is probably due to ground lead inductance.  The PP510 probes apparently don't come with a BNC adapter, but they should come with a ground spring--a little coiled up thing.  Remove your ground lead and slide the ground spring over the probe, then make sure the spring touches the BNC shell of the SDG1032X when you are probing it.  The spring should connect the shell to the exposed foil on the probe.  That should reduce the ringing somewhat.  A BNC-probe adapter is a collar that goes between the BNC and probe and provides a matched, fully enclosed ground and is what you need to properly use a probe this way.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline skempf

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2021, 06:19:57 pm »
See attached using the ground spring on the probe. Is it safe to assume that all of the "ringing" in the waveform is ground lead inductance?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2021, 08:32:01 pm »
Precisely what you expect without 50 Ohm termination.

Risetime meets and betters the 7ns spec and the overshoot is the result mismatched termination on the SDG which BTW always has a 50 Ohm source impedance.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2021, 01:44:10 am »

Risetime meets and betters the 7ns spec and the overshoot is the result mismatched termination on the SDG which BTW always has a 50 Ohm source impedance.

Where is the mismatch???

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2021, 01:56:36 am »

Where is the mismatch???
50 Ohm source to 10x probe.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2021, 02:36:49 am »

Where is the mismatch???
50 Ohm source to 10x probe.

The source is it's own termination, there's no need to add another when there's no transmission line.  I don't know the exact distance between the 50R pad in the SDG and the end of the BNC connector, but λ/4 would be in the GHz range for the likely distances of a few cm.  You can add a 50R pass-thru to make it a 25R output if you like, but there's still a distance between that 50R and the terminators BNC connector....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2021, 02:43:35 am »
Knock yourself out looking at properly terminated sources for square waves here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-square-wave/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2021, 03:46:46 am »
Knock yourself out looking at properly terminated sources for square waves here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-square-wave/

I have my own--SDG2042X with PP215 probe and BNC adapter, Leo Bodnar fast edge with the same plus a BNC-to-BNC extension.  Each has issues, but not ringing.

You need to terminate the characteristic impedance of a transmission line, not a source.

Offline Orion33

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2022, 12:22:46 pm »
So, I got my Siglent 1104X-E under the AKIP brand. Success :)
However, I can not calibrate the scope qualitatively. After each iteration, I get different DC offset values. Moreover, these values change over time.
What deviation is acceptable? Now after 2 hours of warm-up I get 400uV on the first channel
Is it possible to calibrate each channel individually using service commands?
If I activate options, for example, AWG, how do I then turn it back off for a warranty claim?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 02:02:30 pm by Orion33 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2022, 07:27:59 pm »
So, I got my Siglent 1104X-E under the AKIP brand. Success :)
However, I can not calibrate the scope qualitatively. After each iteration, I get different DC offset values. Moreover, these values change over time.
What deviation is acceptable? Now after 2 hours of warm-up I get 400uV on the first channel
Is it possible to calibrate each channel individually using service commands?
If I activate options, for example, AWG, how do I then turn it back off for a warranty claim?
Which version firmware is installed ?

We can not see what you do, please post some screenshots with relevant menus visible, preferably in English.
Also, describe your signal connections if any and be sure to run the Self Cal only after ~30 minutes of warm up time.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Orion33

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2022, 08:45:01 pm »

We can not see what you do, please post some screenshots with relevant menus visible, preferably in English.
Also, describe your signal connections if any and be sure to run the Self Cal only after ~30 minutes of warm up time.
V6.1.37R8
All day long I just run self-calibration. The device worked for almost 9 hours. The result of the last calibration in the photo. For some reason, the device does not recognize the flash drive (exFAT). During the day, the best result was +/-80uV. After that, it was not possible to repeat it, the calibration of one of the channels is always unsatisfactory, as in the photo. The device works in a separate room where other devices are turned off.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 08:50:10 pm by Orion33 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2022, 08:50:01 pm »
[For some reason, the device does not recognize the flash drive.
It needs be 8GB max FAT32 and 4k clusters.
Some brands of 16GB sticks work.

Your stick might be faulty or formatted incorrectly.
Get this fixed first.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Orion33

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2022, 08:52:03 pm »
Yes, I just made sure my flash drive has exFAT. Unfortunately, I can't format it, and can't find another one. Everything is clearly visible in the photo.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2022, 09:01:17 pm »

V6.1.37R8
Please install V6.1.37R9
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=12
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2022, 09:55:51 pm »
All day long I just run self-calibration. The device worked for almost 9 hours. The result of the last calibration in the photo. For some reason, the device does not recognize the flash drive (exFAT). During the day, the best result was +/-80uV. After that, it was not possible to repeat it, the calibration of one of the channels is always unsatisfactory, as in the photo. The device works in a separate room where other devices are turned off.

That doesn't look broken or unsatisfactory to me. 

Offline Orion33

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2022, 09:18:49 am »
Please install V6.1.37R9
I asked the distributor if this would void the warranty.
≤±4.0%: ≤2 mV/div
For 500uV/div 4% is 500*0.04 = 20uV.

Offline Orion33

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2022, 09:34:14 am »
With open terminals I have this picture. The noise from the AC mains is large enough to make a correct calibration. How do I get rid of it?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:36:42 am by Orion33 »

Offline Orion33

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2022, 10:33:29 am »
How to save the calibration results to a file so that I can apply them later?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2022, 11:12:23 am »
Please install V6.1.37R9
I asked the distributor if this would void the warranty.

It is DCGain accuracy! Where you have measured or even looked from screen DC Gain using any acceptable method?

DC Offset accuracy is totally different thing. Note there is in data sheet formula also this ".....+500µV"

And if you can not even format USB stick to native FAT32 format please do not even try FW update.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2022, 12:32:55 pm »

That's doubly incorrect.  The DC Gain spec you've quoted would mean relative to the input.  If you have 0V input, the stated tolerance for DC Gain error would be 0V * 4%, which is of course zero.

What you are seeing is not a DC Gain error, it is offset.  The offset spec for zero offset and zero input boils down to 1.5% of 8 divisions (not 1) + 500uV, which is 1.5% of 4mV + 500uV or ~560uV.  Your errors are all less than 500uV, so I'd say it is considered acceptable by the specifications.  Also, your traces look very quiet--was this done with all open BNC connectors?  The calibration procedure should be done with nothing connected, although in practice I'm not sure how much difference this makes. 

Here is a screenshot of my scope after running self-cal after 30 minutes of warmup.  It seems better than yours, perhaps, but still with ~100uV offsets. 

Offline Orion33

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2022, 11:01:19 am »
Also, your traces look very quiet--was this done with all open BNC connectors?
Yes, with open but with averaging by 1024 to good see DC offset.
Here is a screenshot of my scope after running self-cal after 30 minutes of warmup.  It seems better than yours, perhaps, but still with ~100uV offsets. 
Yesterday I also achieved 160uV deflection. I asked how I can save this calibration to a file and apply it on subsequent failures, but so far no one has answered.
Yes, the distributor said that I can install the latest firmware myself. I'm going to do it now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf