Author Topic: Dynascope TS-2 110V Rotating Disc AC Motor, LED Light, Articulated Arm Stand Mod  (Read 2905 times)

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
hi i received this unit this day and opened it up for quick cleaning, study and modification whatever as intended since the day of purchase. (not in complete state, no lamp on one side, and no stand) only came with one side of light assembly and 110V transformer to power the lights. after opening the surface inside, one of assembly in optical path is the rotating disc/mirror on top of it. the motor rotating it is 110Vac motor, here is 220V country.

i wish i can modify this to operate with 220Vac. i'm not sure how this type of ac motor is constructed but there are 2 coils inside, RED-BLUE and YELLOW-BLACK. they are connected in parallel (RED-YELLOW and BLUE-BLACK) to work with 110Vac mains. i connected to 60Vac output transformer, it rotates slowly. i separated all wires and apply 60Vac to RED BLUE, it rotates. to YELLOW BLACK it rotates as well. so my wonder is if its possible to connect to 220V by connecting the coils in series (see 3rd picture in attachment) ie BLUE YELLOW tied together and connect RED BLACK to 220V. but before i introduce firework play risk, i ask you people if this is wise? or is there any better way to do? for example by adding capacitor in series to the original connection? dont suggest to buy 200V to 110V transformer, i know that one but it will cost another money and i prefer it to be the last solution.

second question. why the need of rotating disc? i still can see some image under it (need strong light :palm: not like other china loupe microscope that requires none to see) even when its not rotating so i wonder why it has to be rotating. i dont think modern microscope like Mantis Elite has this rotating mirror disc. cheers and have a nice day...

1st pic: original wiring.
2nd pic: the unit with hoods taken off.
3rd pic: proposed wiring for 220Vac connection.

ebay link: https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Vision-Engineering-TS-2-Stereo-Dynascope-w-1-5x-lens-12v-75w-transformer/123711106140
manual: http://www.visioneng.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/TS-2-Brochure-English.pdf
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:01:32 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline genghisnico13

• Regular Contributor
I don't see any problem in connecting the coils in series, in fact there are 2 different windings exactly for this purpose, to use the same motor for the 220V version. the motor looks like a shaded pole one, not that it matters.
and no, the mantis doesn't have any rotating mirrors or anything like that, and requires light also to be able to see.

Offline georgd

• Regular Contributor
Why the need of rotating disc?

Mirror--array of small mirrors--on rotating disc allows you to see stereoscopic image, which one is very handy if you fix something or just to wondering of beauty of nature, like flowers, bugs, etc.

Georg

• Super Contributor
I studied the function after success on series setup motor coil in op last night. It extends interpupilary viewing range or whatever the term is.. other stereo uscope dont have this thus have narrow viewing angle. As for mantis, i believe it uses newer design that doesnt require rotating mirrors. Dynascope has zoom though 0.4-6x which is nice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:19:11 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
Home Made Home Brew DIY Microscope Articulated Arm Stand Idea

off the shelf articulated arm/boom stand that specifically made for microscope even from China are unjustifiably expensive, around $250 the cheapest in aliexpress or ebay. so i need to improvise...
TV Wall Mount LCD Monitor Holder Aluminum Arm Bracket

i got from local $25 each including postage, i need 2 = $50 for my 7.65kg dynascope stereo microscope. other parts (metal plate and bars) are left over from previous project, already have welding and cutting machine so basically the rest is $0. so i've made it at a cost of 1/5X of the cost of one hung low brand, fly like a dragon 8)... fwiw...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:25:25 am by Mechatrommer »

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
Just make sure you get the phasing right. 220V to red and black. Join yellow and blue to each other and nothing else.

• Super Contributor
Just make sure you get the phasing right. 220V to red and black. Join yellow and blue to each other and nothing else.
yup i did try the combinations using low power 60Vac out transformer, and then fused mains connection. wrong coil direction = boom luckily didnt happen on me. now its working charmingly. one thing left to arrive = 144 led light from china.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Nice looking setup.   I like the idea of not having the center of gravity over the base.  How stable is it?     Are you  planning to put a table on top of the base, or are you able to work in that area?   

• Super Contributor
COG lies between the mounting holes/screws at the microscope's base. originally i want the pivot connection to the tv arm lies below COG to reduce if not eliminate entirely torsional force on the pivot. but that setup will probably disturb area near lens tip where i will mount led lighting there, so i moved the pivot connection to the back of the base, this way i have more room around lens tip and also more bench space behind the scope in case i want to put something or if have bigger pcb that needs bigger depth. in case the arm unable to hold the torsional force, i was thinking to put shims or spacers between the base's bracket and the arm connection to hold/lock the position of vertical angle (YZ plane) but luckily it turned out the pivot is able to hold the torsional force due to the COG/microscope's weight without the need for the shims, thumbs up to this china designed arm. so the vertical angle also nicely and freely changeable.

i can either use a table on the arm's base if i need extra height or big flat surface, but i can also use without it, just work on the bench where the microscope will stand on. stability? this is very stable as a car, i believe no small kid let alone a cat can tip it over due to the weight and stand's base dimension on both X and Y axis. we need very steep angle to make it tumble. even hard for me to turn and lift, this thing maybe near 10kg already, the boat anchor type of microscope that requires 2 arms to hold. originally the main requirement is only adjustability on Z axis height to obtain focus to object, diying that will be quite hard for me as machineries required i dont have. so i picked the off the shelf tv arm in place, saved me alot of trouble. this articulated arm can also move a little bit to sideways and vertical angle adjustability, so more degree of freedom and a bonus to me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:09:33 pm by Mechatrommer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf