Author Topic: Using Scope Probes on Multimeters  (Read 840 times)

Offline mendip_discoveryTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Using Scope Probes on Multimeters
« on: September 06, 2021, 02:17:16 pm »
I have several Clamp Meter type probes and a High Voltage probe for an Oscilloscope and wondered if there was a way to measure the output on a Digital Multi Meter such as an Agilent 34401A. Now I know this won't work right off the bat due to a mismatch in load from the Scope to DMM.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Using Scope Probes on Multimeters
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 02:44:49 pm »
The clamp type probe has a good change to work, maybe marginally of due to the different load resistor, but one may not notice the difference.
The high voltage probel would likely need an extra 1 M (or 1.1 M if the meter has 10 M input impedance) in parallel to make it lokk more like the scope. AC would be limited (low frequency only) as the DMM usually has higher input capacitance than the scope. For the high voltage type, keep in mind that the DMM is usually not grounded like a scope. It may need an extra ground link.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 02:54:39 pm »
AC or DC?  You would have to be very specific which probes you are using and how, but yes sometimes you can make that work.  On occasion for DC I will use a 10X scope probe with a Hi-Z DMM to avoid any resistive or capacitive loading on the circuit.  It takes a very, very long time to settle (minutes) due to the DMM input capacitance but it does work.  Also DC capable clamp probes generally work fine with DMMs.  AC circuits will be much trickier to get any sort of accurate result.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 05:24:12 pm »
You can maybe use Pintek PL-10/PL-10N to match impedance, and MT-246/MT-246N BNC to banana plug adapter.
I've used this with my Pintek 15kV HV probe.
http://www.pintek.com.tw/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf