Author Topic: UTD2102CEL 100Mhz 1GS/s Digital Scope - Mini-teardown  (Read 7934 times)

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
UTD2102CEL 100Mhz 1GS/s Digital Scope - Mini-teardown
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:02:34 pm »
Hi all,

Curiosity got the better of me so I thought I'd take the lid off my UTD2102CEL 100Mhz scope and have a look.

But before I start, here's something I noticed......the Tenma 72-8705 scope is identical, so I guess Farnell are re-badge'ing UTD's......

Anyway, here's my mini-teardown:-

In operation on my workbench:

With the rear plastic cover removed:

Metal cage removed:

A bunch of internal shots:

Looking for the memory, there I guess on the underside of the main board:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:06:02 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: UTD2102CEL 100Mhz 1GS/s Digital Scope - Mini-teardown
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »
awsome IanJ, look complettly different than what i know (attached 2052CEL rev2.05) from UNI-T

what revision of PCB yours ? I wish you could shot and post bigger pictures.

Definitely better than the old revision, different FPGA, sample memory within FPGA instead of
external (or maybe on bottom side?), original AD9481 instead of these cheap ans noisy HWD9481.

What really crap is the PSU mounted right above ADCs/FPGA/DSP, not only because EMI or distortion
(look 4.jpg and the mains cap right above DSP, who the fuck desiged this?), but also because of pure security.

A piece of shielding between PSU and main PCB, like e.g. HanTekway is using, would not costs that much
and it would improve this scope.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:11:10 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »
I have much bigger pics obviously, but have to be careful with the sizes I post as my domain is hosted on a 2nd DSL line.

Hmmm, you got me to thinking, I have some really thin aluminium plate so might build a small shield around the PSU, at least between the main board and the psu anyways.

Here's another couple of pics with pcb rev detail etc:-

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:20:29 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:20:53 pm »
ok, v1.04 but the timestamp is everything we should know 2010.07.07.
So it seems to be a re-design (which they promised after some negative feedback from users)
and not just old model with new display (like the one which i posted).

I doubt there is enough space for aluminium plate, i would probably make a new PSU PCB, a bit longer (and with alu plate),
a piece of PCB didn't cost that much.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:33 pm »
Great job, plus we get a good commentary from our forum DSO gurus, its priceless.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 11:16:21 pm »
Great job, plus we get a good commentary from our forum DSO gurus, its priceless.
Tinhead is the only guru!
there is another. but he seldomly popped out.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf