Author Topic: Valhalla 2720GS  (Read 46363 times)

Offline jfphpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Valhalla 2720GS
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:08:53 am »
Hello,

I was very happy with  a Valhalla DC standard 2720GS but unfortunately it died in two steps : I lost the differential voltmeter ("DVM repair" as on the one offered now on Ebay) and now "Reference repair". After a lot of tests including the various stacked power supplies, I suspect the Pal deconding chip on the CPU, an EP900. Did anybody read it ? I can read it on a chip programmer but, of course, I down know if it is a good or wrong JEDEC file.
Another question : does anybody know the default password to reset the 2720GS to the factory calibration default state ?
Thanks.

Offline CaptnYellowShirt

• Frequent Contributor
  • Scooty Puff Jr.
Re: Valhalla 2720GS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:02:33 am »
I don't have any information on the 2720GS.

But I'd love to see some pictures of it! (And so would other people that might be able to help more than I can)

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:41:46 am »
Same here, one of few units using statistic voltage references.

That pal is like simple version of CPLD, so it's just couple logic gates in there probably.
In theory should be possible to replace it with some bodged logic circuit, if you can find out what are input signals, what are outputs and what
function that PAL was supposed to do. These may have security bit, so even if somebody have working 2720GS, they may not be able to read it.

Tear-down hi-res photos would be gold.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:45:51 am by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:35:08 am »
I would also require pictures.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:14:51 pm »
http://www.adret-electronique.fr/valhalla_2720/adret_valhalla_2720.html

Some pictures and documentation  before the crash...

Offline CaptnYellowShirt

• Frequent Contributor
  • Scooty Puff Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:30:10 am »
" This system's internal 30 bits A to D converter continually monitors each reference zener. Each reference module contains its own non-volatile memory wich stores calibration and drift rate data."

This is something I've wondered about quite a bit. What does the A/D compare the A to in this configuration?

I mean, at its core an A/D only determines ratios.... "so much more" or "so much less" than V_ref. 

But if you're measuring something that's *the most accurate* already... what's more accurate than that?

My guess is the A/D compares the zeners to one another -- in a bit of a kilogram divergence problem:

So can this make the reference more accurate? Is there some statistical magic or model for zener drift that helps divine the true value of the volt? (e.g. if they all drifted the same amount, how would you detect this?)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:47:24 am »
It is exactly the same problem with the Fluke 732A : you need 4 to be sure of the respective drift of one to another (therefore 4 references in the Datron 4910) : you compare each day or week ... 1 v 2, 1 v 3, 1 v4 , 2 v 3... In comparing the various drifts you can isolate the (eventually) faulty one (drift exceeding the mean value) and you can take as reference the mean of the 4 or 3 if one faulty and minimize noise (reduction of noise of root square 6 or 8). Superiority of the Valhalla is the computerized mesurement of the respective drifts in comparison with the drifts stored in EEPROMs of 6 zeners  or 8 as an option.
In the high stability option the 6 or 8 LM399AH (selected !) are replaced by 3 or 4 LTZ1000A (1 zener per card instead of 2).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28:04 am »
Thank you very much to all people who neither helped nor answered : you have forced Bruno and me to work. We have now reconstruct all the logical equations of the PAL, burned new ones and find the factory reset password (one week work for this very carefully hidden password). Various failures (nullmeter, output board...) were easy to fix. Two 2720GS are now living again...

Offline Edwin G. Pettis

• Frequent Contributor
  • The plural of anecdote is not data.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 04:31:53 pm »
To jfphp,

I am curious, are any of the precision wire wound resistors in your 2720Gs yellow?

Sorry no one could help but Valhalla keeps any details they view as proprietary out of the manuals and only a few people at the factory, the engineers who designed this unit, have knowledge of such things.  They also like to charge a lot for their manuals if they are available, which would not have been much help either.  It is a bit strange that Valhalla claims to not have the microcode though, that should have been in the engineering documentation and that should have been kept on file.

Online Mickle T.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »
In the high stability option the 6 or 8 LM399AH (selected !) are replaced by 3 or 4 LTZ1000A (1 zener per card instead of 2).
Very strange. AFAIK the first of the Valhalla 2720GS calibrators don't have any of it, but only selected 1N827 zeners in the ovens. In the mid-1980s, LTZ1000 did not exist.

P.S. And how about factory reset password?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:11:46 pm by Mickle T. »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 05:02:08 pm »
Very strange. AFAIK the first of the Valhalla 2720GS calibrators don't have any of it, but only selected 1N827 zeners in the ovens. In the mid-1980s, LTZ1000 did not exist.

I recently acquired a unit built in 1988. It's equipped with the HSR option  (High Stability) and has 8 x LM399 voltage ref.

@jfphp: I would be really interested if you had any information to share on the reset password and how to reflash the PAL.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:42:07 pm by Kosmic »

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 04:14:03 pm »

I recently acquired a unit built in 1988. It's equipped with the HSR option  (High Stability) and has 8 x LM399 voltage ref.

@jfphp: I would be really interested if you had any information to share on the reset password and how to reflash the PAL.

Thanks!

I don't have any info to share but am glad it stayed in Canada. I was local to it and I was really considering it.
If it does need repair please consider starting a thread in the repair section to share the problems and fixes.
VE7FM

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 05:36:52 pm »
I don't have any info to share but am glad it stayed in Canada. I was local to it and I was really considering it.
If it does need repair please consider starting a thread in the repair section to share the problems and fixes.

Yup it made the trip from BC in one piece (I'm on the east coast)   :)

I will definitely start a thread since there is a couple of issues. For one, the fan is not working and I'm pretty sure it's not normal  :) After a hour it get really hot. Nevertheless after running the internal check all the voltage ref were back online. So that's a good start  :)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:47:49 pm by Kosmic »

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 06:34:01 pm »
Quite some old thread, but I thought to revive it.

Isn't it more like the 2720GS contains three reference boards with a total of 6x LMx99, while the HSR option has four board with a total of 8x LMx99?

Was someone else successful in replacing the Xircor X2212 chips? A replacement was mentioned here, but without further details. :(
Same goes for all the rest mentioned like factory reset password or firmware file for the PAL. Already contacted jfphp via his website, but yet without any feedback.

We (me and a friend) have developped a drop in circuit for replacement of the Xircor X2212 on each zener board and a specialy U shaped board for the 4 x X2212 on the output board : the X2212 are a nightmare and die without warning driving the very bad made software to absurd diagnostics or to stall in starting : the still obtainable NOS X2212 are very concerned but there is no general law.
We can supply new burned PAL for the CPU, the front panel board, factory reset password and various spare parts including manuals. We have rebuilt option boards too.
Eventually we can sell some 2720GS : one as is (HV issue, zener issues...), one not meeting the output settling time (> 10s for 1ppm on 13V range and below) and several fully refurbished (all caps, relays new, all X2212 replaced by custom boards, 4 zener boards --8 zeners-- , factory reset password, cal with 2ppm accuracy of the standards used...).

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 05:48:58 pm »
Hello everyone,

I received such a unit today, so I will put everything I find out about it here so everyone can benefit from it.  :-//

When the unit was about to be sold to me the seller tested the unit, which tripped his circuit breaker. He also noticed some smell of burning components inside the unit. Okay, so it was eventually sold as defect, which is fine, right? Let's see what needs to be fixed...
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, Mickle T., TheSteve, alm, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 05:54:38 pm »
First thing I've noticed was the front panel being pretty yellow. A good looking meter is good motivation to get things fixed. So the first step I've done after The Arrival was using pure ethanol to remove whatever this yellow film was. Could have been either a transparrent but yellowed protection coating or human residue from the last decades? Who knows, but in any case it was removable and is almost gone.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, Dr. Frank

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 06:01:54 pm »
Next I pulled some cards that obviously contained physical large axial capacitors and what do you know? It's almost always a bad electrolytic capacitor, also here. Since the guts of the caps was released only a few days ago vinegar helped for the most part. So next step is a fully recapping of the unit. I also noticed that some of the fuses are blown, maybe a good sign and the rest was well protected? Fingers crossed.
However, after removing the caps I've noticed at least two burn marks creating short circuits between traces, which needs fixing as well. I scraped away the carbon and filled the remaining grooves with some UHU endfest. First fix done.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:12:18 pm by branadic »

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 07:01:37 pm »
On the front panel board is some AA 3.6V lithium primary cell, measuring it showed not a single bit of live. So it needs replacement too.

-branadic-

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 07:21:16 pm »
Make sure you are really gentle with the high voltage transformer. Mine shorted after being removed / reinstalled. It's not like I dropped it or something. I guess the cables were bent a bit too much  :-//

anyway I still need to source a new one.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 04:43:11 pm »
Thanks for the hint, I will keep that in mind.
The caps on the power supply board all measure good, nevertheless they will be replaced in any case. The caps on the high voltage power supply seem to be the main issue and were already removed.

-branadic-

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2023, 08:12:20 am »
Ordered most of the caps, fuses and battery. I guess they will arrive next week. I already replace the 100 µF/25V with 100 µF/50V electrolytics on low voltage and high voltage power supply boards and noticed, that some of them started leaking. So it's good advice to replace all caps in the unit.
Slow but at least some progress, that will hopefully bring back the unit to life. I will take more photos of all boards and link them here.

Someone by accident has the CAL key? It's missing on my unit, but before I order a replacement key switch, maybe someone can help?

-branadic-

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2023, 01:15:44 pm »

Someone by accident has the CAL key? It's missing on my unit, but before I order a replacement key switch, maybe someone can help?

-branadic-

I have one. I'll check if I can make a copy.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2023, 06:27:46 pm »

-branadic-

I have one. I'll check if I can make a copy.

Done! I had to go see a locksmith but that was no problems.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2023, 06:03:05 pm »
Make sure you are really gentle with the high voltage transformer. Mine shorted after being removed / reinstalled. It's not like I dropped it or something. I guess the cables were bent a bit too much  :-//

anyway I still need to source a new one.

Houston we have a problem. Seems like the dying caps took the HV transformer with them. Anyone has any detailed info about that xformer?
I better check low voltage transformer too.

-branadic-

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2023, 06:16:07 pm »
sv manual for thoses i havent seen it ...

https://xdevs.com/doc/Valhalla/2720GS/
https://xdevs.com/doc/Valhalla/2720GS/Valhalla_Scientific_2720GS_Vol.%202_sm.pdf

Man  thats not funny,   and you need at least some specs for sure, and or find an defective unit hoping the xformer is still good ??

page 6  show the connector pinout of the xformers  ... searching for the voltages

p34 p35 shows  some of them  not sure if we all of them

2x16v ac ? with an ct
2x 115v ac ?
2x 1100v ac ??

that give us 7 wires ??  possibly 8   because we faintly see 115vac CT  going to the 16vac CT  ??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 06:29:19 pm by coromonadalix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf