Author Topic: VC8145 thread ... It's here, finally  (Read 102535 times)

Offline k2teknik

• Regular Contributor
Re: VC8145 thread ... It's here, finally
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2015, 09:28:25 am »
Vichy VC8145 or Victor 8145? Which one to choose?
It is most likely not the same instrument, the Vichy is a 80000 count the Victor is a 33000 count, Victor seems not to have RS232
Victor 8145A: http://www.chenxiulian.com/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=839
Victor 8145B: http://www.china-victor.com/english/en/product_data.aspx?ClassID=173&ID=160
Vichy 8145: http://www.vicimeter.com/en/productshow.asp?sendid=8

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »
So although the build quality is not that good on Vichy, it has much better specs than Victor (higher count and RS232 interface). Good to know!

Did somebody already do a tear down of the Vichy VC8145 bench multimeter and inspect the build quality and input protection on the PCB board?

Are there HRC fuses (High Rupture Capacity) or glass fluses?
What about MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors)?
What about input protection PTC thermistor and large input protection resistor?
What about 10A current shunt?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:01:29 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline electronicnoobblog

« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2015, 05:48:41 pm »
Hello,

I have question for owners of VC8145:

Does back-light can be enabled all the time or You have press button every time You want to see something?

(i came across some bad design, clone from handheld where You have to press it every time...
it was crazy...
maybe You save planet but meantime you end up in mental hospital for long treatment witch electric shock so basically it does not pay-off...)

If someone saw any video review it will be nice -> Sharing is caring!
Sometimes it's hard to base only of chines description.
I mean i saw some pictures in this topic from inside... looks nice at that price range, but sill that does not give overall expression abut measurements.

150 usd is a wired price range, to expensive to buy "just like that and thrown away if not nice like a 1 dollar crap" and to cheap to expect working like fluke or hp.

If someone could tell me, like a friend how does it goes in everyday working scenario.

Im asking something like this:
it have lot of buttons, does it for example need to make some multiple stupid clicking to just change from resistance to volt meter ?

Im please ask for that kind of comment abut this multi-meter ;)

Regards

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2015, 10:38:19 pm »
The backlight if off by default but somebody posted a modification (a wire) which makes the backlight go on by default.
You can select between various modes with one button press. Only for the temperature measurement you need to press the select button to show the temperature of the probe. Otherwise it will show it's internal temperature.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Dave92F1

« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2015, 12:56:00 am »
somebody posted a modification (a wire) which makes the backlight go on by default

That was me. But I ended up removing the mod, and I don't recommend it.

Turns out that it only works about 90% of the time. The other 10% you turn it on and it stays dark; if you did the mod then the button doesn't work, so you have to turn the meter off again, wait a few seconds and try again. I found that worse (1 in 10 times) than having to press the button each time.

I looked into installing a PIC to wait 500 mS then push the button, but the levels inside didn't seem to make that easy (I forget the details).

So I just removed the mod and now I press the button for the backlight.

I really like the meter, tho. It's accurate and has a very good UI (easy to use), other than the backlight thing. 

It does beep a lot. If that bothers you, don't get it. It doesn't bother me very much.

Offline electronicnoobblog

« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2015, 06:47:17 am »
The backlight if off by default but somebody posted a modification (a wire) which makes the backlight go on by default.
You can select between various modes with one button press. Only for the temperature measurement you need to press the select button to show the temperature of the probe. Otherwise it will show it's internal temperature.

somebody posted a modification (a wire) which makes the backlight go on by default

That was me. But I ended up removing the mod, and I don't recommend it.

Turns out that it only works about 90% of the time. The other 10% you turn it on and it stays dark; if you did the mod then the button doesn't work, so you have to turn the meter off again, wait a few seconds and try again. I found that worse (1 in 10 times) than having to press the button each time.

I looked into installing a PIC to wait 500 mS then push the button, but the levels inside didn't seem to make that easy (I forget the details).

I really like the meter, tho. It's accurate and has a very good UI (easy to use), other than the backlight thing. 

It does beep a lot. If that bothers you, don't get it. It doesn't bother me very much.

Thank You, that's informing, i think i got everything what im asking for.
Pressing button once is not a problem.

Regards

Offline dev26

« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2015, 08:25:06 pm »

Remove R70; then connect IC8, pin 12 with base of Q11 using resistor about 10k. Now the backlight is default ON, but the button can be still used.

Use the duct tape, Luke! ;)

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:52 pm »
You could probably get in touch with the factory and ask them for a firmware update.
Is there a JTAG connector to the main processor?

Offline k2teknik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2015, 09:43:27 pm »
Remove R70; then connect IC8, pin 12 with base of Q11 using resistor about 10k. Now the backlight is default ON, but the button can be still used.
Well seen, Q11 is a 4013 (Dual D-Type Flip-Flop) with a Q and an inverted Q output, so just switch to the inverted Q and the display light function will be reversed.
I was lazy and just lifted pin 13 and then shorted the pad under pin 13 with pin 12

I desolder the buzzer.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:46:56 pm by k2teknik »

Dave92F1

« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2015, 11:32:45 pm »
Thanks! I'll give it a try.
I can't. I need the continuity beeps.

Offline dev26

« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:24 am »
I can't. I need the continuity beeps.

That is the idea - the beep is still here, but is much softer and quieter.

Dave92F1

« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2015, 06:47:39 pm »

I confirm it works great.

Even easier, just turn R70 by 90 degrees, then connect the loose end with a wire, as shown.

(BTW, be sure to clean the keyboard contacts on the other side with alcohol before reassembling, if there's any chance you touched them with your fingers.)

May I ask how you figured this out? If you have a schematic for the VC8145, could you please post it?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:52:29 pm by Dave92F1 »

Offline dev26

« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2015, 07:46:23 pm »
No, I have no schematic. I just followed wire from the button and saw it ends on clock pin of a 4013. Then looked to other pins - Q is connected with base of some transistor which controls the backlight's LEDs.

It's known way to use a flip-flop - "!Q" to "Data" (via R67), "Clock" to a button (R39+C8 for anti-bounce, R40 - push-down) , a delay circuit (R69+C36) to "Set". Result may be taken from Q or !Q.

Dave92F1

« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2015, 08:15:02 pm »
OK, thanks.

Unfortunately I backed out the mod - it vastly reduces the LCD contrast when viewed from straight-on or below. (It was bad to start with; with the mod it's worse).

Dave92F1

« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2015, 09:43:38 pm »
Hm. Replacing R41 (68k ohms) with about 30 ohms vastly improves the LCD contrast.

I don't fully understand why it needs to be such a low resistance. It seems to have more to do with the current flowing thru R41 (into the display controller) than the voltage.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2015, 11:24:03 pm »
That is probably the contrast adjust voltage for the LCD display.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2015, 07:42:44 pm »
Does the manual document a procedure to calibrate the multimeter yourself using an accurate source?

Most expensive multimeters can be calibrated yourself using a detailed and documented procedure.

Or do you need to send it in to the factory?

Offline k2teknik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2015, 10:06:47 am »
Does the manual document a procedure to calibrate the multimeter yourself using an accurate source?
No, my version do not.

Or do you need to send it in to the factory?
That will most likely cost too much compare to the cost of the instrument it self.
Contact a calibration service near your place and ask them if they can calibrate it for you.

But maybe you do not know the difference between calibration and repair?
Calibration is a check if the instrument is within it's spec. the result is a yes/no, and maybe a more detail report.
Repair is what you do to make it return to spec. if it fails in the calibration process.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2015, 01:22:35 pm »
Are there many trim potentiometers on the PCB board?
Do they have a text marking?

Who has an email address to the manufacturer? Maybe we could contact them and ask for the detailed calibration procedure.

Offline k2teknik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2015, 10:27:06 pm »
Who has an email address to the manufacturer?
Here you go: http://www.vicimeter.com/en/contact.asp

Maybe we could contact them and ask for the detailed calibration procedure.
Do not expect too much, I had tried a few times to contact them no response so far.

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2015, 12:35:06 am »
Hm. Replacing R41 (68k ohms) with about 30 ohms vastly improves the LCD contrast.

Earlier in this thread you indicated that the light mod affected the contrast and therefore you reversed it. So in the end, did you re-do the light mod after swapping out R41? How did that work out?

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2016, 03:37:28 pm »
Way, way, back in this thread, someone asked about the >80Mohm measurement range. Today I tried measuring the 1090 Mohm 2% resistor in a recently acquired Heathkit 336 VTVM HV probe. Obviously neither the accuracy of the Vici nor the accuracy of the ~50 year old resister can be assured, so the following should not be accepted as canon!

The reading tends to wander up and down the scale a bit. Even breathing on the resistor changes the measured value. However, the wandering did generally stay within the supposed 2%, centered around 1092 - 1094 Mohms or so most of the time, dipping to 1078 if held a certain way and climbing to 2011 if held another way. The most stable and closely centered method seemed to be laying the body on a piece of wood with either end hanging in free air, connecting the probes with alligator clips.

Offline gatoazul

• Contributor
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2016, 03:02:49 pm »
Hi,

im interested in this meter.
How is it going over this years in terms of accuracy?
Could someone who owns this bench multimeter do some accuracy tests?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:05 am »
Earlier this year I checked both my VC8145s against a Keysight 34461A and both where within spec. The VC8145 has a decent voltage reference inside so I don't expect it to wander off much.

The following users thanked this post: gatoazul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf