Author Topic: Vichy DM4070 LCR meter, any thoughts?  (Read 4658 times)

Offline VincentTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
Vichy DM4070 LCR meter, any thoughts?
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:16:36 am »
I've been considering getting an LCR meter for a while now. But having a limited budget for the time being, so are my options.

So far one of the few sub-$100 models I found that doesn't look horribly cheap is the Vichy DM4070. Obviously I can't expect 0.001% accuracy out of such an instrument. But otherwise would it still be a good deal at $40?

It's supposedly 2.5% accuracy for the capacitance and inductance measurements. Not sure if this would be accurate enough for RF or analog video circuits.

Offline Tim F

• Regular Contributor
Re: Vichy DM4070 LCR meter, any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:17:18 am »
$40 sounds a bit steep for that functionality considering you can get a Der EE DE-5000 for $100. I had a similar one to the Vichy years ago and only paid $25. It served it's purpose I guess - I only wanted to wind my own inductors for loudspeaker crossovers. I have the DE-5000 now and couldn't imagine living without the parasitic measurements (ESR, etc) or the ability to set the measurement frequency.

If you don't need a device that is so rugged you can find those cheap AVR based component tester 'kits' for around 10-15$us. Try searching "M238 ESR" on your favourite auction site.

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 12:44:20 pm »
Not sure if this would be accurate enough for RF or analog video circuits.

Definitely it's not, not even for audio frequency if you matter things like ESR,Q, D and to test components nearby their actual working frequency.

Ideally you would need an RF LCR meter but if you are going to play with some DIY (as i think, otherwise you would not have posted like that) forget them and save the 40USD and go straight for DE-5000 as you have already been told.

It's the minimum to start with.

Offline 3141592

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 02:29:27 pm »
If you have a signal generator (a sound card might do as well) and a DMM with an ACV mode, you can get a ballpark figure for capacitance or inductance, and at least you can change the measurement frequency too. I wouldn't waste money on this Vichy, unless you need it for like sorting a lot of unmarked components or something. It's also important to test (or at least consult their datasheet) caps or inductors at the frequency and conditions at which they should operate, as things like frequency, DC bias, temperature can impact their performance substantially.

Offline VincentTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:14:36 am »
Turns out I came across a good deal on a GoldStar FG-8002 function generator, 60$ shipped to my door. Probably a much better investment I made.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf