Author Topic: Rigol DS2202A-S vs Pico USB 200MHZ Scopes  (Read 3261 times)

Offline LynntankTopic starter

Rigol DS2202A-S vs Pico USB 200MHZ Scopes
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:23:11 am »
I have veiwed the teardown on a Rigol but I like the DS2202A or the DS22002a-S. Dont know what the S option is. I have seen pictures of screens that have signals taken with USB scopes and there seems to be more options with them. I just dont know of the build quality or durability of the USB scopes. What is more forgiving if connected to circuit incorrectly? Suggestions?

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Re: Rigol DS2202A-S vs Pico USB 200MHZ Scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:28:13 am »
"S" is the function generator option. I would DEFINITELY go for the Rigol. Standalone is easier to use, and the good USB scopes are expensive as hell, and the Chinese ones don't come close to a Rigol.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:41:41 am »
The Rigol specification for overload looks better but I doubt the specifications of either oscilloscope can be trusted.  There is more to go wrong with the USB oscilloscope because the USB port is not galvanically isolated.  Neither would be repairable after overload in the sense of an old oscilloscope which has service documentation.

I would go with the Rigol simply because it is a standalone instrument which will take less space.

Offline alex.forencich

• Frequent Contributor
    • Alex Forencich
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:41:47 am »
A standalone scope that boots up quickly is incredibly convenient.  Standalone scopes also tend to have knobs and buttons, which is far more user-friendly than clicking buttons with a mouse.  Also, they tend to be significantly more responsive as the USB connection to the computer can act as a bottleneck and add latency.  The PC side software for USB scopes also tends to be a bit of an afterthought, which is unfortunate. 
Python-based instrument control: Python IVI, Python VXI-11, Python USBTMC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf