Author Topic: Victor VC921 pocket multimeter - worth a bash?  (Read 6704 times)

Offline smjcukTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Victor VC921 pocket multimeter - worth a bash?
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »
So I'm going on holiday to some rancid concentration camp this year for a whole week. In the interests of not going insane, I'm taking something to do with me so I've written up a list of bits to play with that allow me to knock up some circuits whilst out.

Now I can't really drag my scope, my frequency counter or anything with me so I've thought about knocking up a small kit to in a plastic tub and my test gear to a simple, small multimeter that suffices as an LCR and frequency counter up to 5-6MHz.

So after window shopping on Aliexpress for a bit I came across one of these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VICTOR-VC921-DMM-Integrated-Personal-Handheld-Pocket-Mini-Digital-Multimeter-Auto-Range-VC-921/887562515.html

Now I know it's going to be crap but for the sake of a week, what do you reckon? Will it perform the basic functions for a week without being a lemon? Alternatively is there something a bit more robust out there (less than £20 preferably)?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: Victor VC921 pocket multimeter - worth a bash?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:20:35 pm »
Cheaply made. Works OK, voltages all within a few counts, acceptable continuity. Nice legible screen. Probe leads a little stiff. 2 pots for voltage adjustments. Sturdy cover. Should last a few months.
UNI-T UT120C slightly better made and has mA range.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:50:45 pm »
Thanks appreciated - will grab a UT-120C then. mA/uA are required here!

100KHz is a bit low on the frequency side of things but I can knock up a /100 prescaler for it to get some rough guesses up to 10MHz.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:47:47 am »
That Victor thing is garbage. I could do a whole video on what a piece of crap it is.

Maybe it measures OK but you really wouldn't want to own/use one, trust me.

PS: I've just ordered a UT-120C based on comments in this forum (hasn't arrived yet). I swore I'd never buy anything made by UNI-T after Dave's teardown video but it seems like the UT-120C is the only reasonable pocket meter under $30-$40 (if you ignore its claimed CAT rating).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:51:54 am by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 01:30:31 pm »
I've got a couple of Uni-T UT-33As. They're OK to be honest. No complaints other than a bit slow on high ohm measurements and complain at you if you leave them on. Pretty accurate i found. I've got a fluke 77 as well but that's rarely used for anything other than near mains potential. They're fine for average users.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:00:04 pm »
I've had a UT-120C for a while, and it's quite a nice little thing for the price, and one of the few pocket meters that does current measurements as well.  I certainly won't be doing any 240VAC measurements with it though.

Offline firepower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 02:17:15 am »
I bought VC921 for work its great. But i only use for DC voltages and continuity / resistance, Its great because small size have in my tool bag, and because it fully clossed no damage to it. I also have full size meter for more serious use.
For the price go for it. just think of it like a mobile phone camera, best camera is the one you have on you always. This meter is so compact no excuse not to take it with you.

It uses 2 x AAA batteries so easy to replace and last long time, lot of other pocket meters use watch batteries.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:30:13 am by firepower »

Offline savril

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:17 pm »
I got a Sanwa PM3 for ~50€ from japan via ebay (take care of counterfeits Sanwa from China).
http://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/items/detail.php?id=30#

It has no current measurement but I don't trust pocket multimeter for that.

It has a better precision in voltage than the Uni-T. After this one, I buyed an Agilent 1272A and tested the Sanwa against it. It proved the Sanwa to be 1 digit accurate in voltage. So I trust the Sanwa to be more accurate than the Uni-T.

I also like the look more than the Uni-T and it came with a wallet type case, nicer than the plastic case of the Uni-T. I also like the probes which seem harder and are gold platted (ot brass ???).

But if you need the current measurement, the Uni-T is a good choice.

Offline RoboTechEd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:57 pm »
If it means anything, mine is incredibly accurate and the build quality is really good (especially for the price). I use it for voltage verification on <30v systems, so I don't think I should have any reason to not trust the measurements. When it comes to bang for the buck, I absolutely recommend the Victor. With that said, it has to current measurement, and you will always get better quality with a higher price point.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:57:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I bought a UT-120C in the end as I need (low) current measurement. Waiting for arrival :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf