Author Topic: Opinion getting AGILENT / HP 4284A  (Read 4321 times)

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Opinion getting AGILENT / HP 4284A
« on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »
Hey

We have one old in the storage and the boss might give it to me as my next salary

* what is you'r opinion about that oppertunity ?

* how much does one like that worth ?

I mean : the total money you think I may offer for such ...

I now have ~1.2K$ and my salary is unknown yet ..
assuming the boss tells me to pay extra money for that ( lets say my salary is 500$ ) , How much shall I offer extra ?

I have checked on ebay and the only one sold was the winning bid rated at 1.7K$ , while the one now are 4K$ and more ..

I am pretty sure he will tell me that worth the 5K , and I will argue it is only the asking price on ebay , and I am gonna show him that 1.7K action ,  so as far as I know , he may ask for 1.5K$

before the Criticism , yes I am aware of me collecting T&M gear and not preforming any other practical project ,  I am learning all day long from reading here , and watching dave's video blogs ,and A bit from repairing stuff at work . I am collecting Gear only because I have the chance now , not that it is partly your business , I am just saying ....  ;D

for the ones who follow , I ended up getting 2X HP34401A's  . plus the  GENRAD decade resistance box , witch drifts by 0.013% or so on fair amount of the resistors  :-// ( I am going to open a thread just on that .. )

please kindly tell me what is your Humble opinion .. :)

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Re: Opinion getting AGILENT / HP 4284A
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »
Hm. Not that familiar with LCR meters, but I'm going to say a new, handheld like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGILENT-TECHNOLOGIES-U1733C-Handheld-LCR-Meter-/330957166723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0e959883 may be more reliable than an old clunker. Just my 2 cents.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline eevblogfanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:44 am »
Hey

thank you :)

If I were to buy one , It would have cost me 630.84$ , plus unknown Vats and penalty it can be as high as 200~350$ in here ...

Although it is agilent handheld meter . I have the confidence that this "old clunker" will live for the next decade at least . unless someone who's familiar with him can seriously correct me here ( I hope one will if that's the case )

I still don't know if the unit is fine . I hope it is but afraid it might not be . assuming it isn't . I may buy it for few hundred of $'s and try and repair it myself .  I am aware it might not be repairable

in terms of band per buck , 800~900$ for the handheld agilent at 100Khz ?  or 1.5K$ for the 1Mhz old HP ?

I know the HP is many many times more accurate , plus he has got 4 wire connection witch involved with the guard up next to the end of the leads . Just some kind point ..

the opinion I was referring here is more like , if you know any notorious problems with the device , and perhaps if they are costy to repair .

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:44:40 am by eevblogfan »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:10:19 am »
Hm. Not that familiar with LCR meters, but I'm going to say a new, handheld like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGILENT-TECHNOLOGIES-U1733C-Handheld-LCR-Meter-/330957166723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0e959883 may be more reliable than an old clunker. Just my 2 cents.

This HP4284A is really superior if compare to some handheld as this.
If I can easy get this high class "old" HP with this low price and it is in sure trusted working condition (and in this case he can see it with his own eyes - it is not "ebay" raffle ticket. In this case example  I do not need one second to make decision between this and what ever handheld soap box even if its name is Agilent or what ever.  Exept if I need "hand held" and this feature is highest place in priority list.

This old HP beats these new and old handhelds just 10-0 in all things exept if need keep in pocket or on the hand. Also ( this is only I believe) longevity is perhaps (yes, all can fail) much more than this hand held.  What is mean equipment is new...  are they more reliable than these littlebit older.

accuracy/resolution  is ... nothing to compare...they are totally in different class. In longevity, reliability, accuracy, functions/features (and weight).

Agilent 4284A precision LCR meter
Test frequency 20 Hz to 1 MHz over 8610 selectable frequencies
Measurement range1
|Z|, R, X :0.01 m? to 99.9999 M?
|Y|, G,B :0.01 nS to 99.9999 S
C :0.01 fF to 9.99999 F
L :0.01 nH to 99.9999 kH
D :0.000001 to 9.99999
Q :0.01 to 99999.9
Basic accuracy |Z| , C and L:0.05% D:0.0005

If it have also option -001 it is nice. (tests with bias)

There is no competition at all if portabilitys is not question.
This old HP is serious laboratory equipnment... this hand held is for "TV repairman" pocket.
Both works in they class.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:18:30 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:31:40 pm »
Hey

We have one old in the storage and the boss might give it to me as my next salary

* what is you'r opinion about that oppertunity ?

* how much does one like that worth ?

I mean : the total money you think I may offer for such ...

I now have ~1.2K$ and my salary is unknown yet ..
assuming the boss tells me to pay extra money for that ( lets say my salary is 500$ ) , How much shall I offer extra ?

I have checked on ebay and the only one sold was the winning bid rated at 1.7K$ , while the one now are 4K$ and more ..

I am pretty sure he will tell me that worth the 5K , and I will argue it is only the asking price on ebay , and I am gonna show him that 1.7K action ,  so as far as I know , he may ask for 1.5K$

before the Criticism , yes I am aware of me collecting T&M gear and not preforming any other practical project ,  I am learning all day long from reading here , and watching dave's video blogs ,and A bit from repairing stuff at work . I am collecting Gear only because I have the chance now , not that it is partly your business , I am just saying ....  ;D

for the ones who follow , I ended up getting 2X HP34401A's  . plus the  GENRAD decade resistance box , witch drifts by 0.013% or so on fair amount of the resistors  :-// ( I am going to open a thread just on that .. )

please kindly tell me what is your Humble opinion .. :)

I think it's out of your price range.  That $1700 one on ebay was as-is with known problems and not in a "tested good" condition.  Known good models on ebay all list at $4k and up.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:31:43 pm »
The customs fees will probably kill you, and upon closer research, the old clunkers do seem to be quite good. However, the prices on eBay US are all around the 4-5k mark. Try offering a very low price and see what your boss does.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf