Author Topic: Video Review: Rigol DM3068 6.5 Digit Digital Multimeter  (Read 48104 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
Video Review: Rigol DM3068 6.5 Digit Digital Multimeter
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »
In this episode, Shahriar reviews the Rigol DM3068 6.5 Digit Digital Multimeter. The Model DM3068 DMM gives reliable, cost effective, full DMM capabilities measuring DCV, ACV, DCI, ACI, Resistance (2 & 4 Wire), Capacitance, Diode Test, Frequency, and Temperature. These DMMs are designed for simple and efficient bench top use, but include software options for datalogging and remote programming from almost any interface.

Shahriar demonstrates various functionality including a computer guided destructive LED IV tracer to investigate LED failure patterns. The DM3068 can be purchased for $799 US dollars from Rigol Inc. The DM3058 offers similar functionality at 5.5 Digits for $695 US dollars.

Video Length: 52 Minutes

Link:
http://thesignalpath.com/blogs/2012/07/02/rigol-dm3068-6-5-digit-digital-multimeter-review/

The Signal Path
http://www.TheSignalPath.com

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Video Review: Rigol DM3068 6.5 Digit Digital Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »
I have the DM3058 (wish I waited for the DM3068 to become available again) and I am quite pleased with it. There are noticable differences between the two models besides just the accuracy and resolution, but for the most part they are very similar. I've heard a few people on this forum saying that they don't like the Rigol DMMs or that they are plain garbage, but I can't see how they could have come to that conclusion unless they never used one and just don't like the idea of it being made in China.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:36 pm »
I too am very pleased with the DM3068.

It is easy to say that something is "garbage" if you have never used it. To be taken seriously one needs evidence. As for where it is made, everything is made in China. Some things are terrible, some things work well. There is only one way to find out.

Hopefully this video review sheds some light on this particular model.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »
Take it apart!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:06:01 pm »
Watch this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/rigol-dm3061-6-12-digit-multimeter/msg62859/#msg62859 Then you know why it is easy to call a Rigol multimeter a pile of shit without using it.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:22:49 pm »
Watch this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/rigol-dm3061-6-12-digit-multimeter/msg62859/#msg62859 Then you know why it is easy to call a Rigol multimeter a pile of shit without using it.

The DM3061 is an old unit and Rigol has done a lot of work to improve the quality of their products in the past few years. This is aside from the fact that we know almost nothing about the pictured unit in the forum. Furthermore, my review is for the DM3068 and DM3058. These are the only two units currently sold by RigolNA.com and they perform very well. RigolNA also offers a no-question-asked return policy. But of course no one is stopping you to pay for more for an Agilent, Keithley or Fluke. In fact, I own all three.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:36:29 pm »
Can you do a teardown please! You haven't owned it until you've taken it apart.

If you are worried about warranty seals, Mike just did a video on that *cough*.

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »
But of course no one is stopping you to pay for more for an Agilent
Pheeww  ;)

I just did that , and never regretted it.

I have Rigols as scopes , and am satisfied.
But i'd get an Agilent or Fluke (6.5dig) , anytime ... (and a 3458 if i win the lotto)

/Bingo

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »
Hi!

And where's the review? What I just watched was a marketing special ;-)

BTW:
My 10 year old Voltcraft DMM is capable of measering a 68pF capacitor without any problem. Nothing special there!
Thermocouples measure the temperature difference, not the temperature itself. So the ambient temperature of the DUT needs to be taken into account. A DMM could use an internal temperature sensor to offset or just assume 20 degrees Celsius room temperature. A more accurate way is to use an additional external temperature sensor to measure the DUTs ambient temperature to get the right offset.

Best regards,
 madires
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:02:10 pm by madires »

Offline transmissiongate

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 06:14:36 pm »
Hi Hugoneus! I just watched the video and in my point of view it's really well done. Lengthwise, the review competes with Daves videos, but no review is complete without a proper teardown and pointing out what's shit and what's not.

So, don't turn it on, take it apaaaaaaart!

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:02 pm »
Rigol has done a lot of work to improve the quality of their products in the past few years.

And you know that because? Let me guess, because Rigol told you when you agreed doing the review for them?

and they perform very well.

And you know that because? Quick, remind me what your qualifications are? Ah yes, you do a video blog, stupid me.

RigolNA also offers a no-question-asked return policy.

I give a flying fart through a rolling doughnut about Rigol NA, because Rigol NA (NA = North America) doesn't serve me. Until recently Rigol in China was covering Europe with a "no answers provided, no communication happening, but twice to four times expensive" policy. Now it is Rigol EU, with not enough people to even man the shipment department during holidays.

But of course no one is stopping you to pay for more for an Agilent, Keithley or Fluke. In fact, I own all three.

You know, it is not the size or amount that matters, you have to be able to handle your equipment, too.

Oh, and finally I find it funny when someone talks about himself in the third person:

In this episode, Shahriar reviews the Rigol DM3068 6.5 Digit Digital Multimeter.
Shahriar demonstrates various functionality
Furthermore, my review is for the DM3068 and DM3058.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »

I think it is probably hit or miss which revisions of which models have crappy rework and which ones are professionally done. My Rigol DG2041A (waveform generator) looks like shit on the inside, but my DM3058 is quite nicely done (I've put the link below so that you can see). I have seen a post on here as well though regarding the DM3068 which showed the unit looking like my DG2041A... like shit!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/teardown-rigol-dm3058-%28multimeter%29/msg62790/#msg62790

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:32:59 pm »
UPDATE: Here is one of the photos from the previously mentioned thread for people who want something higher resolution to look at.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »
Again, not to gang up here, but I thought I should share. First thanks for the video. It was insightful, however,

Like others have said, there does not seem to be much criticism here for the meter. There's a whole lot of good, but I heard very little about "I would have liked to seen ___" "This (part) isn't all that great".

It might look like a good device externally, but how about the inside. What if this thing was made to last a week?

One of the reason I like Dave's videos so much is because he speaks his mind! Even if I don't agree with what he says, he's not afraid to say "I really don't like that at all". "Look at that bodge resistor!" and of course there are also compliments.

Now I don't know if this was a paid review, but if it wasn't please feel free to speak your mind. Tell us how it is.

Thanks.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:41:32 pm »
Rigol has done a lot of work to improve the quality of their products in the past few years.

And you know that because? Let me guess, because Rigol told you when you agreed doing the review for them?

And you know that because? Quick, remind me what your qualifications are? Ah yes, you do a video blog, stupid me.

RigolNA also offers a no-question-asked return policy.

I give a flying fart through a rolling doughnut about Rigol NA, because Rigol NA (NA = North America) doesn't serve me. Until recently Rigol in China was covering Europe with a "no answers provided, no communication happening, but twice to four times expensive" policy. Now it is Rigol EU, with not enough people to even man the shipment department during holidays.

But of course no one is stopping you to pay for more for an Agilent, Keithley or Fluke. In fact, I own all three.

You know, it is not the size or amount that matters, you have to be able to handle your equipment, too.

Oh, and finally I find it funny when someone talks about himself in the third person:

In this episode, Shahriar reviews the Rigol DM3068 6.5 Digit Digital Multimeter.
Shahriar demonstrates various functionality
Furthermore, my review is for the DM3068 and DM3058.

I had no idea this would cause so much stress for you. Shahriar does not like it when people get stressed.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »
Thank you for all the feedback. I will do a teardown video later on. There are some other topics that I would like to cover first. Some of the things I did not like which I mentioned in the video:

Takes a long time to boot.
Contrast ratio is not as good as VFD.
The continuity test does not have a latching function. (Can be changed with firmware upgrade)
The diode test does not show higher than 2V functions. (Can be changed with firmware upgrade)

When I take it apart, we will see how it delivers on the inside.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:52:32 pm by Hugoneus »

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »
Quick, remind me what your qualifications are? Ah yes, you do a video blog, stupid me.

For god sakes, the man has a PhD in electrical engineering and he owns one of the units. He also owns several competing units which he compared against for you to see. The man keeps liquid nitrogen in his appartment; what further qualifications do you need!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 07:13:15 pm »
1) EPIC! EPIC! EPIC!
2) I don't see why some people like to dumben down rigol, after all, i bet everyone 5$ the "some people" hates rigol with a passion
Well really, i did have a agilent 3456 on loan and after trying it out at a local shop i like the rigol a heck lot more
AND well, it isn't engineered to last 1 day, it IS engineered to be alongside agilent keithley and fluke
3) Shahriar did a good job of reviewing it NOT Tearing it down
4) Dave's a long time vblog man, he knows what to do in a single video
5) the way he talked about the features makes sense to me, it's going through the features and how it works but what i find too draggy is the relentless VFD vs LCD, come on, we're in 2012 not 1989

But i wouldn't mind the long startup time, because if we're for quick measurement that's what a HH DMM is for anyway.

The liquid nitro test was ... unexpected

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »
Thank you for all the feedback. I will do a teardown video later on. There are some other topics that I would like to cover first. Some of the things I did not like which I mentioned in the video:

Takes a long time to boot.
Contrast ratio is not as good as VFD.
The continuity test does not have a latching function. (Can be changed with firmware upgrade)
The diode test does not show higher than 2V functions. (Can be changed with firmware upgrade)

When I take it apart, we will see how it delivers on the inside.

Awesome. Good stuff. Please be objective with the teardown.

Have a nice day.

HLA-27b

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:26 pm »
Very good review, Looking forward to the tear down.

Maybe they improved the innards since that photo review, should be interesting to see.
And even if they didn't, what if that seemingly shoddy board turns out to give results just as good as Agilent's? Fun to think eh?

And keep it cool please. It is just a multimeter.

Offline Wartex

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 05:01:09 am »

Here's his qualifications http://individual.utoronto.ca/xthgencomp/

He has a PhD **profanity removed by admin**. Now show us your qualifications. I highly recommend you **profanity removed by admin**. Not only you make no videos, you talk shit in every thread and attack people, internet tough guy. I hope a ban hammer is coming your way.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:39:00 pm by EEVblog »

Offline RRobot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:01 am »
In regards to those DM3061 pictures, I have a Rigol DM3061 (Also have a Agilent 6 1/2 digit DMM, so no dog in this fight) and when I saw those pictures a few months back I took it apart and had a look. Mine looks nothing like that train wreck, no bodges at all.

Not sure what happened with that mess.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 05:39:41 am »
UPDATE: Here is one of the photos from the previously mentioned thread for people who want something higher resolution to look at.

Seems a reasonable design to me. input protection looks ok. i see a ptc. the input resistor is a ladder of smd resistors to get adequate standoff voltage without flashover.
The relays are dual coil with mechanical latch , as should be ( agilent uses single coil but mechanically latched relays )

Does anyone know why this is important ? Yes ? No ? let me enlighen those of you that don't know.

An energized relay coil creates a magnetic field around the contacts. Any signal traveling through the relay and thus the magnetic field  sees this as a back EMF . In essence this magnetic field acts as an impedance and depending on the strength of the field, and the frequency of ths signal traveling  you get strange rsults. For dc you don't care but when measuring ac voltage or currents you don't want that ! You get errors. as frequency increases it gets worse.. So you either us a magnetically shield relay ( Like the little red Coto-wabash , or teledyne relays ) but those can t handle current , or cannot switch current ( they 'stick' as long as current is running ). or you use relays with mechanical latching. so the coil does not need to be kept energized. in signal generators you will see that the output attenuator relays are always mechanical latch.

right, back on track...

i see two grinded off partnumbers .. thats stupid. it doesn't protect your design. why bother...
there is no real reference. they use a so-8 type reference , most likely an AD part .... for a 6 1/2 digit i would have expected a thermally controlled buried zener like the lm399 (yes you can still get those .. )
No real hybrid , laser trimmed dividers which worries me a bit for stemperature stability and long term drift...

I see a nice wide gap between inguard and outguard logic. The brains are obscured by the top board but no doubt we will find the blackfin DSP since a lot of other rigol stuff has that.
A couple of CPLD's contain the glue logic . the GPIb controler is not an classic 9914 as that part is obsoloete but a copy in a CPLD. At leas tthey use real GPIb buffer chips (75161) and don't muck around with simply using the io pins of a ttl chip...

the inguard logic is controlled by a cpld and it looks like they ar not using optocouplers but an analog devcies digital signal coupler that works magnetically ( obscured by the white and black leads to the fuse
I wonder what is under the metal shield. could be the true-rms convertor as that one is sensitive ...

a common mode line filter sits between the power plug and transformer . there dosn't seem to be a true on/off button but rather a standby switch. so the transformer is always draining power ...

Someone complained about long boot times... be happy it's not a Fluke /Tek benc meter ... those things run loonix. Whoever came up with the idea that an operating system was needed to make a digital multimeter should be stapled to the wall... I hope this rigol doesn't fall in the same category... if i find out it runs loonix it is immediately disqualified.

I have one on the way to test as well ( but i'm after other things... things like how fast can it take accurate readings, what's its throughput over gpib , longterm stability , temperature stability. etc ) flashy user interface mean nothing. i need a meter i can trust to give a correct result.

One of the tests i like to do is turn off the autocal , short the inputs , launch autozero , apply a known voltage and then take 10000 readings without autozero and see how bad the machine drifts... stick it in a tempchamber and fluctuate ambient frmo 18 degree c to 40 degree c and see what it does.... after 10000 readings , short the input and take the residual. to see how far we are off zero. the agilent 34401 does very good on that test ...
I can't have a machine that starts drifting if someone opens a door .... or if the airco kicks on and out.. ( i've seen that ! measuremensts with a cyclic up and down shift to their baseline. perfectly in sync with the airco kicking in and out .... in the new lab we have a different airco system that is always on it is a dual stage system with a heater, a chiller and a humidity control. Temperature is always fixed and changes maybe 0.5 degrees c . But in the old lab stuff like that would influence precision measurements...)

as for the 'growlers' on the forum... let them 'growl'

-edit- apparently that picture is a 5-1/2 digit. for tat it may be ok with a lesse reference. the 61/2 digit needs something something  better.
i wonder what converter they are using ...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:50:29 am by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 06:12:36 am »
I love your posts free_electron, always refreshing and high education value.

On to Rigol. Well I am not going to spend anymore time watching his video review because it made my ear puke the last time I watched his Rigol powersupply review. It isn't a video he should name it Rigol Advertisement. I can't help to notice that he kept praising Rigol. I had enough, so no more for me.

There is no doubt Rigol makes better than useless equipment, many are happily overclocking their units. My 4yr old Rigol DSO has some nice Nichicon caps in it(no way to tell if it's fake). Unfortunately, when I contact Rigol for a bug fixes they act as if they never produced the DSO. Search their www, they only have their latest product. Unless they change their attitude towards legacy models and customer service, I say avoid buying their stuff.

For $6xx you can get a used 34401A, well proven design of at least 20 years. It might not have all the bells and whistle but it's a HP with service manuals if things go wrong.

Offline Jad.z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 06:49:13 am »

Dave do that ALL TIME, but I never hear you bitching. Why now  ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf