Author Topic: Vintage Tek Restoration pictures by Martin  (Read 122050 times)

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
Re: Vintage Tek Restoration pictures by Martin
« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2021, 12:01:17 am »
I first posted to this thread back in 2015 after just recently joining the blog. I had been inactive in the hobby for many years and the only Tek scope I had then was a 2465 DMS which was given to me. Well things have changed slightly since then due in no small part to what Martin has accomplished. He was my inspiration to find and restore old Tek iron. I think I've done pretty well. And after I retired in January 2019 I really picked up the pace. All the restorations shown here can be found in my main hangout in the TEA thread. I hope Martin doesn't mind me adding my collection to his thread. After all, us Tek nuts have to stick together.  :-+ :-+

Currently under restoration. Type 547. Waiting on parts to fix a vertical issue.

Thanks so much for sharing those photos. I've only read a few posts in the TEA thread, but there's just too much there to wade through to try to get information that I'm interested in. IMHO, it would be nice if there was a dedicated thread to vintage Tek equipment, and some links in it to already existing threads such as this. I don't have any photos myself in which to start such a thread though, being I don't yet even own any vintage Tek gear.

The following users thanked this post: hua

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2021, 02:52:11 am »
I first posted to this thread back in 2015 after just recently joining the blog. I had been inactive in the hobby for many years and the only Tek scope I had then was a 2465 DMS which was given to me. Well things have changed slightly since then due in no small part to what Martin has accomplished. He was my inspiration to find and restore old Tek iron. I think I've done pretty well. And after I retired in January 2019 I really picked up the pace. All the restorations shown here can be found in my main hangout in the TEA thread. I hope Martin doesn't mind me adding my collection to his thread. After all, us Tek nuts have to stick together.  :-+ :-+

Currently under restoration. Type 547. Waiting on parts to fix a vertical issue.

Thanks so much for sharing those photos. I've only read a few posts in the TEA thread, but there's just too much there to wade through to try to get information that I'm interested in. IMHO, it would be nice if there was a dedicated thread to vintage Tek equipment, and some links in it to already existing threads such as this. I don't have any photos myself in which to start such a thread though, being I don't yet even own any vintage Tek gear.

Let me know what you are specifically interested in and I'll try to help you find it. 

Edit....if you want an example of what's involved in restoring one of these old beasts check out this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repairrestoration-of-a-tek-type-561b/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:41:24 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2021, 04:35:50 am »
Let me know what you are specifically interested in and I'll try to help you find it. 

Edit....if you want an example of what's involved in restoring one of these old beasts check out this thread:

Thanks for the link to that thread. It was an interesting read. I think I'd prefer to just get a scope that's already been restored. I doubt I have the expertise to do it myself unless I spend way too much time researching everything first. I guess just continuing to check Ebay or other sites is the best way, and wait until something comes up that catches my eye.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2021, 10:14:35 pm »

Thanks for the link to that thread. It was an interesting read. I think I'd prefer to just get a scope that's already been restored. I doubt I have the expertise to do it myself unless I spend way too much time researching everything first. I guess just continuing to check Ebay or other sites is the best way, and wait until something comes up that catches my eye.

Don't discount the learning potential from troubleshooting and carrying out repairs. All of these old beasts have full documentation in the instruction manual, and the circuits were designed by very smart people. You'll definitely learn something every time.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2021, 03:45:43 am »
Don't discount the learning potential from troubleshooting and carrying out repairs. All of these old beasts have full documentation in the instruction manual, and the circuits were designed by very smart people. You'll definitely learn something every time.

If someone without any experience were to embark on a restoration project, which scope(s) would you recommend?

About the full documentation, you ain't kidding! I just had a glance at the documentation of one of the old Tek scopes, and I couldn't believe how thorough it is.

One thing about trying to restore and figure everything out on those old scopes is it's all discrete components. From what I've seen, the CRT tube is probably the most complicated individual component. I assume any PCBs will just be two-layer, one on the front and one on the back. I actually love those old large size components, as opposed to today's surface mount components. My eyes have one heck of a time seeing tiny components and trying to solder them.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2021, 04:01:39 am »

If someone without any experience were to embark on a restoration project, which scope(s) would you recommend?

About the full documentation, you ain't kidding! I just had a glance at the documentation of one of the old Tek scopes, and I couldn't believe how thorough it is.

One thing about trying to restore and figure everything out on those old scopes is it's all discrete components. From what I've seen, the CRT tube is probably the most complicated individual component. I assume any PCBs will just be two-layer, one on the front and one on the back. I actually love those old large size components, as opposed to today's surface mount components. My eyes have one heck of a time seeing tiny components and trying to solder them.

Anything from the 500 series will be a lot easier to work on than any portables, tubes and discretes only with PCBs not showing up till the newer ones. There's a few tradeoffs. Weight being a big one. Another one is the the power supplies are considerably more dangerous...350V and higher rails are often fairly low impedance and can source considerable current. Must be treated with respect using good HV work practices. I would personally suggest you work on stuff with less high voltage DC in it, till you have more experience.

I suggest a 454 portable: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/454

It's the fastest scope Tek made that uses no ICs or hybrids. It's relatively easy to work on, and doesn't have nearly as many dangerous bits.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:06:54 am by 0culus »

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2021, 05:56:49 am »
Anything from the 500 series will be a lot easier to work on than any portables, tubes and discretes only with PCBs not showing up till the newer ones. There's a few tradeoffs. Weight being a big one. Another one is the the power supplies are considerably more dangerous...350V and higher rails are often fairly low impedance and can source considerable current. Must be treated with respect using good HV work practices. I would personally suggest you work on stuff with less high voltage DC in it, till you have more experience.

I suggest a 454 portable: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/454

It's the fastest scope Tek made that uses no ICs or hybrids. It's relatively easy to work on, and doesn't have nearly as many dangerous bits.

Thanks for the recommendation. The 454's are aesthetically a beautiful scope.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2021, 02:01:36 am »
I came across this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114915472895?hash=item1ac17ef5ff:g:UMgAAOSwPhNfgiBW
"Oscilloscopes: Selecting & Restoring a Classic by Stan Griffiths"

Has anyone seen that book? Would you recommend it for a newbie trying to restore an old Tek scope?

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2021, 05:14:12 am »
I came across this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114915472895?hash=item1ac17ef5ff:g:UMgAAOSwPhNfgiBW
"Oscilloscopes: Selecting & Restoring a Classic by Stan Griffiths"

Has anyone seen that book? Would you recommend it for a newbie trying to restore an old Tek scope?

Most of Stan's book is a listing of Tek scopes and accessories from the early days up to 1970 or so. The information on restoring scopes is limited to a chapter or two in the beginning of the book. The introduction to Tekronix, Tek serial numbers, evaluating before purchase, and cleaning and restoring the scopes takes up 42 pages of the 372 pages in the book. The best use of this book is as a reference to be used when considering 500 series tube scopes.

Once you have a scope, the manuals available at TekWiki are your best resource. Stan wrote this book in 1992 before the web amounted to anything.

The following users thanked this post: hua, AaronLee

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2021, 12:29:59 am »
The tekwiki scans are good in a pinch, but I highly recommend getting an original printed manual instead. There are a lot of them out there, and having the real fold out schematics in hand is *much* better than trying to piece together from a scan.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, hua

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #285 on: August 03, 2021, 08:41:48 am »
The tekwiki scans are good in a pinch, but I highly recommend getting an original printed manual instead. There are a lot of them out there, and having the real fold out schematics in hand is *much* better than trying to piece together from a scan.

The halfway house is, of course, the Artek manuals http://artekmanuals.com/

Benefits: high quality (600dpi for schematics), arrive within a day, cheap, money back guarantee. I've never considered asking for my money back.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf