Author Topic: Voltcraft VC890 multimeter vs ......  (Read 10544 times)

Offline PortoTopic starter

• Contributor
Voltcraft VC890 multimeter vs ......
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:38:32 am »
Hi! :)

Can someone compare this multimeter with a more expensive Fluke and/or Agilent? (Maybe Dave will review this in his blog?!?)  :o
E.g. how is the precision, the options on it, overall quality?

I can't find much about this meter (reviews, user experiences etc), only where to buy (and that I already know) ;)

Thanks!   Porto

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Voltcraft VC890 multimeter vs ......
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:49:51 am »
Hi! :)

Can someone compare this multimeter with a more expensive Fluke and/or Agilent? (Maybe Dave will review this in his blog?!?)  :o
E.g. how is the precision, the options on it, overall quality?

I can't find much about this meter (reviews, user experiences etc), only where to buy (and that I already know) ;)

Thanks!   Porto

Hey Porto,

Voltcraft is made by Uni-T to Voltcrafts custom specs. This isn't inherently bad because they do seem to spec the stuff well. Uni-T knows how to make decent stuff when they want (or are told to). I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Uni-T made the fluke's for the Chinese market. That being said it's not a fluke or agilent.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:55:14 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:21:40 am »
I have bought this DMM today and could shortly compare some readings with a calibrated Fluke 87-V and Agilent labsupply.

Fluke / Voltcraft
@.1v  =  0.0994 / 0.0996
@1v   =  0.9996 / 0.9993
@5v   =  4.9997 / 4.9996
@10v =  9.9996 / 9.9993
@30v = 29.996 / 30.002

These are some tight resolutions, and I guess nothing to worry about in real life; will do for me!  :-+
It's a simple test but it gives me a global indication on how this $300 Voltcraft is performing to a 2-3x more expensive Fluke.

Overall quality is very good, very lovely (oled) display and a quite rigid housing.
What I like is that there is no lag in the short-circuit testing... beeps as soon as the poles make contact.
Haven't played with it that much yet.

The included Softvolt software is nice but has the tendency to disconnect the DMM at will; if there only was a (dis)connect
button but unfortunately the only way to let the software init the DMM again was to remove the DMM out of the database
and add it again... a bit clumsy. It's a nice feature but surely a bit buggy. :(

All in all, I'm happy.  :-+

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:06:47 am »
Any chance of getting photos of the insides?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:44:43 pm »
Any chance of getting photos of the insides?

I don't have pictures myself, but there is a thread here on the blog about the VC870, but with VC890 inside pictures in it.
Looks pretty reliable to me but time will tell, haven't used the DMM much because of work; this week I will use it more.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/voltcraft-vc870-any-experiences/15/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:47:29 pm by Porto »

Offline jomaroliv

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 03:51:01 pm »
Hello - I thought that the VC890 was much more recent - now I see posts from 2014 !!
I'll get it tomorrow and still have doubts from all the info I could find - for AC mV values between 100 and 600mV will the 6V range work ? (resolution 0f 0.0001V according to specs)
and in that case will show as 0.00600V (for ex for 600mV) ?

@Porto - the comparison you did was for DC or AC Volts ?
Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf