Author Topic: Was looking for at Soldering iron for the Local Hackerspace  (Read 1885 times)

Offline GreenHW_GUYTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Hardware Electronic RF Power-electronic
    • included if you specify a URL below.
Was looking for at Soldering iron for the Local Hackerspace
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »
the soldering iron station broke down,  and I have looking for a spare part to it. After some time i drop the spare part because it was the same price of a new one. Then I looked at e-bay to see if there vas some decent soldering station, and found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Soldering-Rework-Stations-SMD-Hot-Air-Iron-Gun-Desoldering-Welder-852D-/272484227426?hash=item3f71535962:g:1QMAAOSw5cNYT7F5#shpCntId the price is so cheap that I think it is Hoax ... what do you think ?
I Program with Solder

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Was looking for at Soldering iron for the Local Hackerspace
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 01:04:30 pm »
I would stay away from combination units.  At the very least, you can use one to repair the other.  I am also sure you realize, that for the price, it's going to be a bit dodgy.  Maybe you can get all the members of the space to chip in a bit of the coin of the realm to get something a bit better.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: GreenHW_GUY

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:16:14 pm »
the soldering iron station broke down,  and I have looking for a spare part to it. After some time i drop the spare part because it was the same price of a new one. Then I looked at e-bay to see if there vas some decent soldering station, and found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Soldering-Rework-Stations-SMD-Hot-Air-Iron-Gun-Desoldering-Welder-852D-/272484227426?hash=item3f71535962:g:1QMAAOSw5cNYT7F5#shpCntId the price is so cheap that I think it is Hoax ... what do you think ?
It's very similar to mine but a bit later model with the readout displays.
Mine's been great.
They have a linear PSU and are reasonably heavy brutes but for that price I'd grab it but it sure looks sus.
Message the seller and sus him out.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:38:18 pm »
I also post it for to  :-DD the spare part to the solder iron is http://www.tme.eu/en/details/pensol-sl10-ihn/soldering-stations-accessories/sorny-roong-industrial/ it is the only electric component in the solder iron. the station and the soldering iron was broken when I got it for free. I fix the station but not the soldering iron it self. I was planing to buy the spare part online or some old electronic shop, that I have known for many years. But cant find that model in EU more, only the spare part I have linked to. So I said to my self, maybe it a good idea to find some not obsolete soldering station, when I have a chance.
But I will ask the hackerspace if they want to spend some to a new soldering station. In my Private workspace I Upgrade over time. but you know in a hackerspace many members have not the same training to use or leave soldering iron properly. 
I Program with Solder

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:02 pm »
For a shared one that you want to last, I'd think that going with a Hakko or a similar good brand would be ideal - they will be abused, they will be used improperly, but a good one should be sturdy enough and have good quality protections.

If you are really, really, strapped for cash - Dave had a video just a few days ago about setting up a $300 electronics lab with a decent Hakko knock-off soldering station.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 12:25:28 am »
yes EEVblog show many video about, what equipment beginner shot have. I always skip that kind of video, some startup firm thinks this equipment is the best. I have been in a new startup firm that come directly from the University, and get some scrap tools for free. and this was shit to work with  :palm: also the bought the cheapest solder ions, even they know they have to solder an QFP 250 pin, and the worst part was at some point i got electric shocked, sometime, and discovered that the solder iron it self can make some LED light up when you solder it. so stay away from all kind of direct regulating soldering, especially this kind
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:25:29 am by GreenHW_GUY »
I Program with Solder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf