Yes
39 (37.9%)
No, it was a high-end meter that I could hold up proudly on EEVBLOG
14 (13.6%)
No, it was one of those "hardware store" meters
5 (4.9%)
No, it was a UT61E
1 (1%)
It was from Radio Shack (or local equivalent)
29 (28.2%)
Other
15 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: Was your first meter a "trashy" meter?  (Read 7156 times)

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
Re: Was your first meter a "trashy" meter?
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2023, 05:29:46 am »
The first meter I had was an AVOmeter 8 Mk V. Although it didn't really belong to me, I was borrowing it from my dad, who got it some time in the '70s or '80s I think. I've long since returned it, but he still has it and it still works. :-+

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2023, 01:18:08 pm »
Mine was an original Fluke 77, I think when I was like eight or nine. It was a pretty ancient meter then, but was given to me by a family member who had bought it new.

Honestly I still use some of my Fluke 77s, and still have quite an army of 77s and 73s at work. For 95% of what a handheld meter gets used for, they're just fine.

They're old-fashioned and a little limited, but I wouldn't exactly call them trashy.

The Fluke 70 series firmly established Fluke as the go to manufacturer for hand held multimeter. It also the start of the shift to DMM from the analog VOM. In the era of the 8020, 8060 DMM was so popular, most people still used the the Simpson 260.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2023, 04:27:36 pm »
I come from a time before DMM's existed, in any form!  So my first was what could comically be called a plug and play meter!  That is, it didn't even have a rotary range selector switch, you had to move the test lead to an appropriate range terminal on the front panel!  This resulted in the inevitable, as it didn't even have fuse protection!  So it was transformed to what looked like an extra from a Quatermass movie!
Sheckles were saved and I moved up to the big time with one of those big, really impressive looking (for the time!) Japanese TMK 100K ohm/volt things!  Man, I was measuring things for the fun of it!  That actually survived for some years and I cannot recall for the life of me what happened to it.  Then I had a long break from electronics due to a polar change of career, so all my related stuff got boxed up and unused for 20 odd years.
Came a day when I was called upon to repair my dad's Hi-Fi amp, but no meter! Fortunately I did have some money by then so thought I would treat myself to a new fangled DMM!! Having no idea of what was good or bad, but strangely thinking that Fluke sounded like cheap tat, I resorted to what I knew would be good, Avo!! Namely, an M2007. This was a good move and it proved to be an excellent meter, I still have it, still works perfectly but is obviously a little left behind with what is available now.
Still didn't fully resume my interest in electrickery for another 15 or so years, but am now fortunate enough to be able to buy equipment on a whim, almost, so the collection of DMM's is in the hording category, and I did eventually realise that Fluke is quite good gear!
If I were asked what is my favourite, I can't name 1, but it's between my Fluke 289, Flir DM93 and Metrix 3293B, with the Metrix probably edging it.  If budget were an issue, then my Brymen 869S would take it, no problem!
Oh, and to satisfy my yearning for the good old days, I have many Avo 8's, THE best analogue meter ever made!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:44:54 pm by unknownparticle »
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2023, 08:24:02 pm »
Mine was quite nice Iskra Unimer 3 made in Slovenia..
It was a good meter at the time. I still have it, it works and is well in cal..

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk, Fuzzy Star, JOSM

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2023, 09:43:19 pm »
Very posh for a first meter!!
DC coupling is the devils work!!

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2023, 01:36:11 am »
So... a lot of people here started in the pre-trash era.

Many even before DMMs were a thing.

8)

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2023, 10:12:15 pm »
Mine was an original Fluke 77 .... They're old-fashioned and a little limited, but I wouldn't exactly call them trashy.

That was the meter that replaced my analog Radio Shack meter when I was in grad school.  It's still my daily-use meter :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 10:16:58 pm by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: JOSM

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2023, 10:18:09 pm »
Yes, it was a trashy multimeter. However, for the price I paid one would get a reasonable Brymen nowadays. Not only electronics but literaly everything for home science has never been more affordable. Yet many youngsters waste their potential on TokTok and other crap.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2023, 10:24:09 pm »
How about this one I inherited?

Actually I had two of them, and IIRC still have one. It was a truly crappy meter that heavily loaded any circuit you connected it to (25Ω/V !!!)  |O
They do charge more for LoZ meters these days, maybe you didn't understand the highly featured meter you have.  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2023, 10:37:36 pm »
I did buy my first multimeter at Radio Shack They were called "multitesters" back then. It was the 22-204, one of their best analog meters. They did sell a few digital meters at that time (all 3.5 digit), but I really wanted one with the big meter. A few years later in 1987 I bought one of their new 22-175 digital "benchtop" meters, which I soon blew up by dropping a probe into a 3000 volt laser power supply. I kept it though because it could still measure capacitance.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2023, 11:51:42 pm »
How about this one I inherited?

Actually I had two of them, and IIRC still have one. It was a truly crappy meter...

...but very pretty.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2023, 05:20:26 pm »
My true first meters were DIY MM-galvanometers. Because of their input impedance of about 4 ohms, they were ammeters, even though I ued them as (Very low Z!) voltmeters primarily. :-DD
I guess these don't really count, this was back in 1970...

The first real meter was an electronic FET meter with a constant input impedance of 11.6 megohms and ranges starting at 100 mV and 1 µA F.S. Considering what was available back in 1975, I consider this rather high end and at age 15, I was mighty proud of this instrument.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/norma_normatronic_1811gb4de1811.html

I still have it today and it is still working, yet I don't use analog meters anymore.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2023, 06:15:07 pm »
Actually when I think about this, at the time those meters were made in the US, UK and Japan, they had better quality than today. One paid a good price and nothing was cheap like today. My first Sanwa analog meter I bought from my first salary as an apprentice cost me a one month's full salary. I still use it today after 50 years! These days one can get a cheap junk for a song if you are not careful and base the choice on price alone.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 12:00:45 am by andy3055 »

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2023, 11:24:08 pm »
Mine was that little Micronta analog meter too. My parents gave it to me for Christmas when I was 10-12 years old. The first one I bought was a Rat Shack digital meter. It was okay but couldn't handle every day use, and the rotary switch started making intermittent contact. 

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2023, 12:02:51 am »
Not to mention the cheap digital meters that are not heavy enough to stay in place when you just move the leads!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2023, 12:14:27 am »
Not to mention the cheap digital meters that are not heavy enough to stay in place when you just move the leads!

Silicone leads are only about $4 on Aliexpress...   :)

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2023, 01:09:38 am »

That can't be good quality. Besides I work on HV circuits. When it comes to safety, I wouldn't trust cheapo stuff.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2023, 01:17:56 am »

That can't be good quality. Besides I work on HV circuits. When it comes to safety, I wouldn't trust cheapo stuff.

I assume you're not using meters that are light enough to slide around the desk when you move the leads, so...   :-//

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2023, 02:54:13 am »
My first meter was an Eico 565, a copy of a Simpson 260.  (not the most common version of a Simpson meter that almost everyone thinks about, but the first version.)  I'm not sure if it qualifies as "trashy" or not.

My second meter was from Radio Shack.  I think Dave had one from Tandy that was the same meter.

The next meter I bought was my first Fluke - a model 77 original. 

When I started my job as a VCR/telephone answering machine/etc repair person, I had a digital Simpson 360 on my bench.  Later, I got a Beckman manual range meter to use.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:45:10 am by Excavatoree »

Offline JOSM

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2023, 01:36:02 pm »
My first meter was a Micronta 22-185. My dad brought it from a visit to Chicago in 1987. I was 15 years old and I was very proud of it, since we lived in East Germany and such a device was hard to get a hold on. It is still in our house, but not used often anymore. At least in my eyes not a trashy one  ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 03:50:20 pm by JOSM »

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn, pdenisowski, Fuzzy Star

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2023, 02:40:15 pm »
My fist meter was a Micronta 22-185.

Separate switch position for continuity - nice!

Offline hanakp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2023, 07:06:01 pm »
Nice thread idea!

My first meter was polish Miernik Uniwersalny UM-4, it's probably a knockoff of some western meter.

http://multimetry.tzok.eu/multimetr.php?typ=UM-4_2

My unit was manufactured in 1966 and I got it for free around 1990, because one resistance input and one voltage range were shot. But for the next 5 years, it had to do. Out of nostalgia, I completely fixed it about 10 years ago, albeit with modern components. Curiously, even after all those years, most ranges were still within spec.

The following users thanked this post: Fuzzy Star, JOSM

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2023, 08:05:15 pm »
I still have and use my very first meter, although these days I only use it for basic electrical work, such as HVAC. It's kinda like me these days; old, tatty, and could use a good scrubbing :)
My mom bought it for me in the 1970's.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2023, 08:15:01 pm »
Nice thread idea!

My first meter was polish Miernik Uniwersalny UM-4, it's probably a knockoff of some western meter.

http://multimetry.tzok.eu/multimetr.php?typ=UM-4_2

My unit was manufactured in 1966 and I got it for free around 1990, because one resistance input and one voltage range were shot. But for the next 5 years, it had to do. Out of nostalgia, I completely fixed it about 10 years ago, albeit with modern components. Curiously, even after all those years, most ranges were still within spec.
Interesting beast... Why weirdly shaped binding posts...and the switch deck is causing my eyes a confusion  :scared:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline hanakp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2023, 10:13:33 pm »
@Bud: Yeah, it wasn't very practical to use. It has no resistance range switch, the user has to plug/unplug the test leads between 3 holes on the upper side. Then again, it's from 1960s, so the design was probably regarded as modern back then. I suppose it does qualify as "trashy", just as OP wanted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf