Author Topic: Waveform update rate on new improved Owon SDS7102V at low memory?  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Power_user_EXTopic starter

Hi all. I tried searching the forums about getting an exact answer for the waveform update rate on newer Owon SDS7102V model. If this question has already been posted here please link it me , I'm really sorry I couldn't find it.

I will be getting my 1st analog(100mhz) and digital(100mhz) scopes but have some doubts before purchase.

My question is : Has the waveform update rate been improved on latest version of SDS7102V at lower memory settings ? (similar to Hantek DSO5102B at 4K) Can any one please post/confirm its fastest waveform update rate?

My uses will be : for studying analog and digital signals , glitch hunting , studying noise & ripple in SMPS.

After going through many threads and videos by marmad I find that Hantek DSO5102B is a good choice for glitch hunting while SDS7102V is good for high fidelity. I am seriously stuck between these 2 DSO's past few days  :-\ Which one would you recommend considering the uses that I mentioned above?

Lastly, are analog scopes better at finding glitches as compared to DSOs(like hantek DSO5102B) given both have same bandwidth (100Mhz in my case)?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:41:17 pm by Power_user_EX »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Re: Waveform update rate on new improved Owon SDS7102V at low memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:52:41 pm »
Glitch hunting? You will need a high wfm/s rate for that. The only analog that I think can do that fine is the Tektronix 2467 which has a MCP, which can display fast signals by keeping it there for a short time.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Kilroy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:04 pm »
A really good storage scope like the HP 1741A or 1727A will do single shot captures and store the image for a very long time. You just set it up to auto store the event signal and when it occurs it is immediately stored to the mesh for future display. Beautiful.

The fool generalizes the particular; the nerd particularizes the general; some do both; and the wise does neither.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:03 pm »
Not sure if it is good at all, I looked at it and eventually went for the DS1000Z, so no experiance with it. But if you believe you need high wfms/s and are looking at Owon, should you not look their new TDS series rather then hope they updated the older SDS series?

With the SDS, they do not even advertise wfms/s, with the TDS they claim 50000 wfms/s
(probably driven by the EEVblog review they realized they needed to address that in their new scope)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:01:18 am by cybermaus »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:49:02 am »
Continuous max waveform update rate for SDS7102 is around 35wfm/s.
It is ordinary DSO, not DPO.
But in some situations it can more fast but not continuously.
THis scope is not good for glitch hunting but it may be small amount better for rare glitches as just waveform continuous updata rate tell. Not much but some.
Here: http://owon.forumup.com/viewtopic.php?t=183&mforum=owon

You can find here, in eevblog, many many tests etc and also some kind of compare to others.

It can also note that Owon TDS is DPO and much faster but I have not my own data for it.
Then there is of course Siglent new SDS2000 series what is avesome fast, not only wfm/s but also mask test is fast becouse it is hardware based.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Power_user_EXTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:22:24 pm »
Thanks for your replies guys! :D It really helped me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf