Author Topic: Wavetek 296 synthesized 50MHz multichannel arbitrary waveform generator teardown  (Read 3622 times)

Offline picburnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Some time ago I purchased this arbitrary waveform generator (my is single channel) that, unlike other instruments that I purchased that required very laborious repairs, it works well so I only cleaned a little and checked the state of the electrolytic capacitors.
I took advantage of the disassembly to take some pics.
Unfortunately, the documentation of the instrument is a little lacking: the only user manual on the net concerns the little brother 295 that does not have the digital output, absolutely no service manual.
Also on a Japanese blog I saw a 296 with v2.0 firmware, mine has the old v1.03 firmware which I posted, as always, on the KO4BB website.

Let's move on to the pics: the first two are the front of the instrument during the presentation and normal operation.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:50:25 pm by picburner »

The following users thanked this post: don.r, edavid

• Frequent Contributor
This is instead the back of the instrument (pic taken from the insertion) and the
cpu board located behind the front panel of the instrument and the back of the front panel.

• Frequent Contributor
Top an bottom view and the two power supplies with the two cooling fans.

• Frequent Contributor
The frequency synthesizer module with its own shield and, always itself without shielding.

• Frequent Contributor
Detail of the vco without the shielding and the digital waveform board (top and bottom)

• Frequent Contributor
Finally this is always the frequency synthesizer board with its digital waveform board mounted above
edit: At least this pic, since it's all alone, is in the right sequence!  |O
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:27:10 pm by picburner »

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Do you have any other DDS generators to compare it to wrt stability, noise, distortion, etc?

• Frequent Contributor
Do you have any other DDS generators to compare it to wrt stability, noise, distortion, etc?

No I don't have any other generator but, for distortion measurements etc (at least for low frequencies), I have a Tektronix AM700.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
I don't know if you have seen it already but at the bottom of this KO4BB page is the Windows software (from 1998) http://ftb.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Wavetek

Unfortunately its too old to run on Windows 7 or 10 but may work in a virtual Windows XP installation.

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks, I had already found this software.
It also run well on Windows 7 x86 but it not run on any 64bit operating system of course.
Luckily I have some old notebooks that I keep right for these things, some have even Windows 95, so I have no problems with old programs.

• Frequent Contributor
 ...and as I said in the first post if someone is in possession of the original instruction manual (I don't dare to ask for the service manual!!!) or the firmware v2.0 as in the attached pix, thanks in advance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf