Author Topic: What china tools at ebay worth the money?  (Read 12773 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
What china tools at ebay worth the money?
« on: September 30, 2019, 02:47:55 pm »
Hi

Actual tread in the end of 2019
Almost all electronics produced by china plants now
So china EEs becames most experienced EEs in the world
What tools they use? What tools use china electronic amateurs?

Finally what china tools  at ebay  worth the money?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: What china tools at ebay worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 02:59:22 pm »
This thread start is not designed to cause a stir at all.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, tooki, Ysjoelfir

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 03:21:10 pm »
I would say that all that have a thread in EEVBLOG starting with "WTF".

Now that the PoC has been finished, we may see it more often.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:25:01 pm »
Depend on the person choosing the tool.  For me, almost all of them worth the money, not only from China, but from other places too.
If your question is which most worth the money?  then the $8 transistor tester, and now the hottest one is the $50 nanovna.

The following users thanked this post: 001, genghisnico13

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 04:55:12 pm »
Depend on the person choosing the tool.  For me, almost all of them worth the money, not only from China, but from other places too.
If your question is which most worth the money?  then the $8 transistor tester, and now the hottest one is the $50 nanovna.

What is nanovna?

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 06:36:23 pm »
I have an SMD rework station which works very well.  Different heads for different configurations are readily available for it, as well.
Still learning; good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!!

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 06:38:20 pm »
I have an SMD rework station which works very well.  Different heads for different configurations are readily available for it, as well.

What type?  :-//

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 06:44:51 pm »
Not eBay but anyway worth the money: LAOA117130 sidecutters

Bought two of them one and a half years ago and they are still as good as new. Of course, I don't use them to cut springs but for all other electronics work they get used every day. I especially like that they cut right at the surface if required. They definitely don't feel cheap compare well to a Knipex for three times the money.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 07:20:24 pm »
Thank You for Your experience  :-+

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »
It's a meaninglessly generalized question that won't have a useful answer.

Yes and no, it all depends on the tool, the application, the user, etc.

There are plenty of Chinese made tools that are actually good and will do the job they're intended for well.  There are plenty more that are cheap and have corners cut but if you're not looking for heavy duty, high longevity, or extended repeatability they will do the job fine.  Then there's crap where too many corners have been cut and they really don't adequately fill the use case for the tool.

Then there's the user's requirements, in my mind the biggest issue with Chinese made tools is that they are arbitrarily specified and don't actually live up to published specifications - this makes them actually dangerous or unsuited for work they claim to be suited for.  This can be avoided almost entirely by buying through reputable sellers and buying reputable brands that don't overstate their specifications and actually to test their equipment.  A lot of the prevalence of Chinese tools on the cheap end is that meeting the specification doesn't actually matter for a large number of users buying the cheapest stuff - so they just advertise something inflated to draw in buyers, then still get decent ratings or whatever when the users don't come close to using it in a way that would test the specification.

So if you're choosing your vendor and brand carefully, you can get exactly what you expect to meet your use case.  If not, well you could get something that's a powerful tool at a great value or you could get a shoddily assembled tool that doesn't meet its posted specification (if it even is specified), doesn't function as advertised, and has no means of getting product support or repair.  And what makes the question especially meaningless: all of this is true with a tool manufactured in any country, it's just that the probability of a given outcome correlates with location somewhat.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, sixtimesseven

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 07:53:34 pm »

Your opinion is no more then  :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: here
We all know about fake ratings and ebay lotery
We all know what we get what we pay

But few man says about they positive experience yet
All experienced buyers are welcome to tread!

The following users thanked this post: all_repair

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 08:08:38 pm »

Fluke China (100 series).
And earlier 1* series.

Thus far a 15B, bench DMM and Smart tweezers have served all my measurement needs.
For a $60 DMM the 15B has been rock solid.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: all_repair

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 08:24:48 pm »
I can vouch for Miniware: Bought an TS100 and it's a pretty neat little station.

I've also grabbed some stuff from UNI-T (no electronics testing gear, though) and was quite impressed with overall quality.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:26:30 pm by LeonR »

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 09:46:26 pm »

What type?  :-//

C.M.T. ESD safe Model 8508D
Still learning; good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!!

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 09:51:05 pm »
Your opinion is no more then  :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: here
We all know about fake ratings and ebay lotery
We all know what we get what we pay

But few man says about they positive experience yet
All experienced buyers are welcome to tread!

What?  I offer a real critique of the problem of asking the question that way and you gloss over it missing my point?  I've bought plenty of stuff from China and plenty of it has been fine.  I've usually not pushed it to its limits and had some parts fail long before they said they would be able to, as well as parts claiming capabilities well beyond their construction could possibly support.  I'm not just trying to be philosophical, it's my experience with Chinese made (and plenty of other) equipment.

My whole point is that talking about it so broadly as you want to in this thread does not have value.  A few good or bad experiences can't possibly constitute an evaluation of the manufacturing and design output of the largest nation on earth.  In the same way, even linking something you thought was particularly good may not last because of the changing supply chain issues that plague cheaper end Chinese products... and even if it didn't, are you really asking for people to post individual experiences to compile some gigantic list of available good products or products to avoid?  Sounds equally pointless to me because if you actually get enough replies to be useful, your list will be so long it will be really hard to value it as an easy to use resource.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, umbro

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 10:28:45 pm »
I've got very good stuff from China, I've had vaery bad stuff from China.

You get what you pay for.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 11:49:58 pm »
All (well close..) the 'buyer beware/choose wisely' MIC tools and electronics I've got, and bought locally, work good enough

But only after I tear them down and sort out the factory oopsies, loosies, safety slackery, chicken dropping soldering, polarity stuffups,

and all the other good stuff I and others here could fill an entire forum section with  :popcorn: :popcorn:

That said, what choice is there?  :-//  it's either buy MIC, buy used non MIC,

or spend big on brand name gear that's MIC  ???  :palm:

I find if one shops around and spends a bit more than bottom dollar and goes up a spending notch or two,
there's some decent enough MIC gear out there that compares to good Taiwan and Korean stuff from years ago

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:52:15 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 12:03:57 am »
Blueskull,
Xiaomi partnering wiha have 3 screwdriver sets now.  The latest is a battery powered one (unlikely I can resist that).  It is on taobao now, soon be on eBay I guess.
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=601953542528&&spm=a21202.12579950.item.0

I hate to throw even the lousy screw driver away, so another a very worthy item is an induction coil heating element that can be bought less than $1$6 (taobao much cheaper) .  Use that to harden your screwdriver bits.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-12V-Low-Voltage-ZVS-Induction-Heating-Power-Supply-Module-Heater-Coil-SZHKU/253524781186?epid=1984261015&hash=item3b07412882:g:8GwAAOSwK6RZFFzg
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:09:45 am by all_repair »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 12:31:53 am »
I have quite a bit of tools and electronics made in China from eBay (and other places) that I've purchased over the years.  It seems more and more to be a race to the bottom, so lately I've found greater satisfaction with buying new old stock, used, new returns on discount, etc., with a general preference for not made in China.  A recent purchase was a ~$300 Amprobe meter for $120 delivered.  Brand new return and with a NIST calibration certificate.  Smiles all around...

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 12:36:27 am »
Does anyone else have a ES121 electric screwdriver? Mine stopped going to sleep after 6 months and I don't want to buy a replacement unless I figure out that's a PEBKAC or that this is an atypical failure mode.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 02:44:33 am »
I have quite a bit of tools and electronics made in China from eBay (and other places) that I've purchased over the years.  It seems more and more to be a race to the bottom, so lately I've found greater satisfaction with buying new old stock, used, new returns on discount, etc., with a general preference for not made in China.  A recent purchase was a ~$300 Amprobe meter for $120 delivered.  Brand new return and with a NIST calibration certificate.  Smiles all around...
China taobao, the highest volume is not those you mentioned - cheap and bad.  There are more and more cheap and good from China, but many more are aiming for mid-price with higher quality.  The selection range is plentiful, is up to the buyer.  Cheapest and bad is not a waste of money for me also, I bought these when I got no idea what is considered good and what I really wanted.  So I took it as a cheap lesson for me to get the actual right one next.  Sometime this means justifying the pain to get a high end Japanese set (desoldering station is an example) The price difference is huge. 

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 04:02:08 am »
The majority of consumer grade construction tools are made in China.

Makita trim router. You can buy the exact same router made in the exact same factory generic or under another brand name. But the Makita version has their own speed control. They didn't design the thing, they just found a factory in China that was already making something they want, then they contract the production and do the marketing in other regions. The accessories are exactly the same, too, just with the Makita name on them and a different color finish.

If you look at enough tools from China, you will find some that sell for 3 or 4x as much under a different badge at your local store.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:06:44 am by KL27x »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 05:13:32 am »
Hi

Actual tread in the end of 2019
Almost all electronics produced by china plants now
So china EEs becames most experienced EEs in the world
What tools they use? What tools use china electronic amateurs?

Finally what china tools  at ebay  worth the money?

What tools do they use?
I know the popular voltage reference modules from China are tested against an Agilent 34401A or Keithley 2000
Maybe at Huawei they use the same high-end equipment used in other countries...

What tools do Chinese electronics amateurs use? 
I assume they use popular local equipment like CEM and Aneng... and if they can afford it, get a Fluke, Keysight, etc...

What China tools on EBay are worth the money?
Aneng? FeelElec FY6800...

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 09:28:08 am »
e CEM and Aneng... and if they can afford it, get a Fluke, Keysight, etc...

What China tools on EBay are worth the money?
Aneng? FeelElec FY6800...

Yea
What about "White list" of recomended china tools?

The following users thanked this post: AG7CK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf