Author Topic: What china tools at ebay worth the money?  (Read 12655 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: What china tools at ebay worth the money?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2019, 09:46:02 am »
The majority of consumer grade construction tools are made in China.

Makita trim router. You can buy the exact same router made in the exact same factory generic or under another brand name. But the Makita version has their own speed control. They didn't design the thing, they just found a factory in China that was already making something they want, then they contract the production and do the marketing in other regions. The accessories are exactly the same, too, just with the Makita name on them and a different color finish.

If you look at enough tools from China, you will find some that sell for 3 or 4x as much under a different badge at your local store.

yes    :-+  I picked up on that a few years ago from a day spent killing time and tool surfing at various stores, checking out the quality and PRICE/value/bang4buck etc
and scored some bargains that work fine to this day

That said, I look after them as I would expensive quality tools and use them within their limitations
and either give them a break/cool down on hard jobs, or alternate with another same model backup tool.

At those low prices and sort of no questions return policy at some box stores, some of the cheapies are worthy of ownership,
and for casual use get it done and then some  :clap: 
I could care less about tradie snob brand loyalty crap  :palm:

FWIW I haven't returned a cheapie yet.. lucky?  :-// 

FWIW #2: I have infinite disdain and disgust  :rant: >:( for those scumbags that deliberately trash well priced good quality 'home use' tools to take advantage of replacement offers,
putting pressure on well meaning manufacturers, distributors and retailers, causing prices to get jacked up or bankrupting decent tool companies  :(

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 001

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2019, 09:50:45 am »
What about "White list" of recomended china tools?

We'll be very happy if you make one for us.

All the information is in these forums somewhere, all you have to do is compile it into a neat little post.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, AG7CK, umbro

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2019, 11:35:49 am »

All the information is in these forums somewhere, all you have to do is compile it into a neat little post.

What if all positive posts are writen by sellers?  :-DD

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2019, 11:44:52 am »

I've also grabbed some stuff from UNI-T (no electronics testing gear, though) and was quite impressed with overall quality.
Uni-T temperature & humidity meter is remarkably good for the tiny price.
Small current clamp UT210-E is also well worth the money IMO

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2019, 12:55:15 pm »

How do we know you're not a seller trying to decide what to stock? ::)
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, umbro

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2019, 01:30:53 pm »

How do we know you're not a seller trying to decide what to stock? ::)

It is good idea to identify bestsellers, isnt it? Few years ago mr Franky provides us with goodies at right prices

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2019, 04:47:32 pm »
e CEM and Aneng... and if they can afford it, get a Fluke, Keysight, etc...

What China tools on EBay are worth the money?
Aneng? FeelElec FY6800...
Yea
I think the really cheap tools which are useful are OK. I got several ratched crimpers which do a decent job (not as good as the official crimpers but good enough). The Atten hot air station and hotplate work fine too. For more expensive equipment I like to look on the used market or buy new from an A-brand. Often the difference isn't that big (for example Chinese 6.5 digit DMM versus Keithley or Keysight).

And then there is stuff like silicon wire, heatshrink tubing, braided sleeving, cables, etc for which Ebay is a real treasure trove. In general I don't buy parts from Ebay. There is not much benefit in that versus the risk getting crap.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:50:31 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor

Offline AG7CK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2019, 02:35:20 am »

We'll be very happy if you make one for us.

Very good thread and list idea. I agree with those who say we don't need naysayer talk - just bring on links to stuff you think are good buys. I will find and post some myself.

Subscribed.

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2019, 09:25:20 am »
Zhang Xiaoquan scissors. https://philosophyofscienceportal.blogspot.com/2013/04/oldest-manufacturing-firm-in.html

A typical Western news. Regardless the topic, it will find a way to introduce some anti communism contents.

It appears to be a BBC supported web page,
not aware they were still in business,
who pays any attention to 1984 styled broadcast drivel in 2019 anyway?  :-//

commies and anti-commies need to party up, think green, and lose the political involvement BS they have no control over anyway  :palm:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:33:19 am by Electro Detective »

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2019, 07:21:55 pm »
I didn't mean to start a political debate. I thought the link put the company and their products in a good light and that was put on my post so that you could research it further if anyone wishes. I grabbed that link as it was the first one I encountered to show what the company did. For myself, I love great stories, and these guys have that in full.

Of interest and on topic, traditional way craftsmen made them.

Like Stubai of Austria (except Stubai are seriously overpriced and made in Austria so not added to this list). They have a great story where Austrian iron workers of Stubai village started making high quality tools that transitioned into climbing tools for British climbers who visited the Tyrolean Alps a couple hundred years back or so, and that has since transitioned into a lot of other tools.
https://www.stubai.com/en/history/

Sorry, a bit off topic.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:34:45 pm by bc888 »

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 07:42:47 pm »
Hey!

All I want is pretty  electronic goodies for DIYers

Stop political debates here!  :palm:

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2019, 07:52:01 am »
The Uyue 946c is a pretty good hotplate and after a couple minor mods it's temperature is practically dead-on accurate.
I just ordered another one from the cheapest seller on Aliexpress, so I'll see if the second one is as good as the first soon.

Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: edavid, 001

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2020, 06:27:13 pm »
Does anyone else have a ES121 electric screwdriver? Mine stopped going to sleep after 6 months and I don't want to buy a replacement unless I figure out that's a PEBKAC or that this is an atypical failure mode.

Are you able to update the firmware? I bought one for my nephew and he's using the heck out of it (he says). "Best tool ever" he notes:...but maybe he's stroking his uncle.

Offline Corner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 10:31:13 am »
Believe it or not, this cheapie wire cutter is actually better than my $17 AUD Klein tools wire cutter by a large margin.

https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-Electrical-Cutting-Plier-Wire-Cable-Cutter-Side-Snips-Flush-Pliers-Tool-p-1046482.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I've had this thing for a few years now, still works great.

Klein tools are generally pretty good quality, I'm happy with my screwdrivers and combi pliers, but that wire cutter destroys Klein's offering.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 03:29:00 pm »
Xiaomi/Wiha screwdriver set.

Wait, is Wiha also action quality now ?

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
  • Collector of mini test equipment
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 05:06:48 pm »
Believe it or not, this cheapie wire cutter is actually better than my $17 AUD Klein tools wire cutter by a large margin.

https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-Electrical-Cutting-Plier-Wire-Cable-Cutter-Side-Snips-Flush-Pliers-Tool-p-1046482.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Daniu is one of my go to companies on Banggood, they aren't the best, but usually I'm very satisfied with the quality I get for the price.  I got some test leads from them that were nice and flexible, I ended up getting more since I liked them so much.

Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

Looking for a tek 1401 / 1401A, if you have one message me

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2020, 01:25:04 pm »
Maybe the shape of your chinese wirecutter is better, maybe not the metal ?
If you buy screwdrivers from the action, they will be destroyed on the softest chinese hobbyking screws, it cant get worse then that unless you make them of butter.

Offline Corner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2020, 01:35:59 am »
Maybe the shape of your chinese wirecutter is better, maybe not the metal ?
If you buy screwdrivers from the action, they will be destroyed on the softest chinese hobbyking screws, it cant get worse then that unless you make them of butter.

The Klein tools one has very dull blades, the Chinese one cuts so much cleaner and easier than the Klein Tools one.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2020, 02:55:38 pm »
Wiha imbus still wears and my flat screwdriver the corners are bended because i take crossscrews out with it.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2020, 11:32:18 pm »
Wiha imbus still wears and my flat screwdriver the corners are bended because i take crossscrews out with it.

well
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2020, 12:05:22 am »
I think the intent of the list is good, but it is doomed to failure for a number of reasons.  Not least of which is the bias of various contributors.  But the real reason I have my doubts comes from my experience with the US importer of Chinese tools - Harbor Freight.

I bought an angle grinder for a fifth the price of the cheapest competitor here in the US.  Loved it.  Used it.  Abused it.  It kept on working for several years.  But then after several days of using it with a diamond blade for concrete cutting and tile cutting (extreme abrasive dust generation in addition to heavy continuous loads) it gave up the ghost.

Went back and bought another copy.  Same model number.  Same price.  But got it home and it wasn't nearly as good.  Noisier gear box.  Power switch action not as good.  But I still liked it and found it to be a great value.

Was using it so much for a variety of jobs that changing blades was inconvenient, so bought another to have one for cutting wheel and one for grinding wheel.  This one again was not quite as good as the second.  Even with two grinders blades needed to be changed from time to time and it wasn't long until the stop used to keep the mechanism from turning while changing blades broke.  The casting that holds the stop in place broke off.

So bought a replacement.  I still haven't spent as much as I would have on a brand name item.  But this one fails with a burnt motor armature the first time I try to do heavy work.

By this time the original model number is no longer available, so I get a similar model - whose price has gone up.  Quality seems OK but features aren't quite as good as the older model.  So far this one is at least performing well.

The point of this is that brand and model number don't guarantee a consistent product.  Any recommendations made are valid for only a short time. 
This has always been true everywhere, but in the seething growth of China it seems more true, with the time scale shorter than it has been for brands and products in the past.

A very similar story can be found on this forum in the thread on the under $10 DMM.  The same DMM has been sold under a small number of model names for several years now.  Originally it was a very basic, but basically acceptable DMM.  But over the years the thread has document steady drops in the quality of the device, until the current version is in many ways not useful.  The nanoVNA shows the same pattern as does the "Under $20 component tester".

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2020, 02:22:16 pm »
Someone told on this forum somewhere i dont know where :

Revisionists are the worse kind of people, worse then bankers.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2021, 08:13:17 pm »
Someone told on this forum somewhere i dont know where :

Revisionists are the worse kind of people, worse then bankers.

:wtf:

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2021, 11:55:02 pm »

Those wire cutters seem to be identical to the Plato 170, which is actually cheaper on Digi-Key ... or they offer the slightly more expensive extra strong Plato 170S.

Plato is a brand of Techspray, a Georgia, USA based limited partnership.

It's not clear what relationship the Plato cutters and the Daniu cutters have. Quite likely Plato has a non-exclusive contract with a Chinese manufacturer. But it shows how interconnected the global supply chain is, and how much of it passes through China.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf