Author Topic: What do you think of the new Fluke 87 V MAX?  (Read 62188 times)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: What do you think of the new Fluke 87 V MAX?
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2019, 02:42:23 pm »
Better Hi Res performance and decent diode test specs shouldn't interfere with established operating procedures.
1 µV resolution would be very useful to me.

For that you have the 287/289 (talking about the 1 µV resolution).

Let's be sincere, I've been bitchin# about the 87V MAX but tooki is totally right in his comment, the 87V is a established equipment in the Industrial and Military fields, with certifications. They want the equipment to work, it doesn't matter if it is able to dance or spit on the floor. And asking for a change of methodology is asking for a lot of bureaucracy and hitting with the head in the wall.  Just because we enthusiasts want more and more and more at the same price point or less, other don't care about that, they just care things work as they should.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:20:39 am by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2019, 03:27:26 pm »
The more I see the more I agree with this (pinned comment on joe smith Fluke 87V Robustness Tests, Part I):

Quote from: robber576
The 87v is an overpriced dinosaur and flukes reluctance to update this “industry standard” to modern times is astonishing.I mean: a 9 volt battery with a wired dangling 9v clip like a 1970’s walkitalki, really?( no AA), fuses not accesable without killing your calibration sticker?, no threaded metal inserts?, no ac+dc mode?, no msec on the dutycycle?, the tilting bale doesnot properly click/fit in the rubber boot and swivels bad?, the high res mode which is not to spec and therefore must be seperatly switched to keep the rest of the meter in spec?
Its a nice reliable and stable meter but imho not worth the 600 euros i paid for it.
I'll be very honest... If it is a market leader, why change it? Surely Fluke tried when released the 87IV (which became 187/189).  I certainly wouldn't and no sane product manager would either. The shifts in the government contracts move at a glacial pace. Also, the 28 eats market away from the 87V.

For us enthusiasts, it is certainly upsetting to see how the lack of true innovation comes from their handheld business, however, from all the statements above on the quoted post, IMHO the only one that I see as a true issue is the need to crack the seal to replace a fuse.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2019, 04:49:14 pm »
I much prefer the 9V battery with a wired snap over AAs in a molded holder. AAs leak, I've had SO many things messed up by leaking AAs, often while they were still working to power the device. The leaks corrode the plating off contacts and the thing is never the same again. 9V batteries rarely leak since they have an extra housing. The wired snap is easily replaceable if it does get damaged. I remember we had a Fluke at a former job that used 4 AA batteries and wondered why they went to that, I would not buy one.

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2019, 05:07:33 pm »
I much prefer the 9V battery with a wired snap over AAs in a molded holder.
9V batteries rarely leak since they have an extra housing. The wired snap is easily replaceable if it does get damaged.

Yep. I don't get the hate. The only thing I've heard against them is they're "harder to find in a pinch" but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason for all the hate. If you're likely to ever be in a pinch then get some spares.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2019, 05:53:45 pm »
I much prefer the 9V battery with a wired snap over AAs in a molded holder.
9V batteries rarely leak since they have an extra housing. The wired snap is easily replaceable if it does get damaged.

Yep. I don't get the hate. The only thing I've heard against them is they're "harder to find in a pinch" but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason for all the hate. If you're likely to ever be in a pinch then get some spares.
+1 here. I have lost too many things to leakage. Just look at an entire aftermarket of spare battery contacts for the 18x/28x, for example.

The one thing is that 9V used to have a very high price in my home country.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:55:40 pm by rsjsouza »

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2019, 12:44:38 am »
Fortive shouldn't have kept the old model number with a different circuit.
It's still confusing, I'd expect the same readings from an 87V in the lab verses an 87V MAX in the field- which is not the case now.
Out in the field your ohms-source and diode-test voltage/current are critical performing tests in the midst of oxidized, corroded, wet connections, big semi's IGBT's etc.

I have 30 year old DMM that is water and dust proof. So I think this 87V MAX is a nothing burger, would not buy.

The following users thanked this post: xavier60

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2019, 12:38:37 am »
For that you have the 287/289 (talking about the 1 µV resolution).
I  started  getting excited about the 289. When I saw the battery specs, my excitement went soft.
I have witnessed AA and AAA cells leak, even while partly discharged. The problem also applies to expensive premium branded cells.
Even if the problem has been fixed now, the trust is gone.
Since I have gotten in the habit of turning off my 87V's, a battery lasts about 5 months.
I use reasonably priced Varta alkaline 9V batteries from Bunnings, https://www.bunnings.com.au/varta-9v-alkaline-batteries-2-pack_p4410245
I recently bought a BM857S-WB for when I need 1 µV resolution. The 87V remains as my go-to-first DMM.

BTW: https://www.fluke-direct.com/product/fluke-87-5-industrial-multimeter
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:14:45 am by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, Marco1971

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2019, 05:55:02 am »
US$43 of discount. It can be a normal sale. But it can also mean that the 87V is no more. Although if the discount were above US$100 I would point more to the second option.

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2019, 06:05:03 am »
US$43 of discount. It can be a normal sale. But it can also mean that the 87V is no more. Although if the discount were above US$100 I would point more to the second option.
Luckily, Fluke products last so long, a new 87V bought now will likely last the rest of my useful life.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2019, 06:51:34 am »
I still keep my Idea that they are going to keep the 87V plus the new 87V MAX and in the future release the 87 MAX Ex and kill the 28II.

They are still reasons to keep the 87V around without the extra ruggedness that the MAX version provides, even if it is only price alone.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:53:36 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2019, 07:03:05 am »
They are still reasons to keep the 87V around without the extra ruggedness that the MAX version provides, even if it is only price alone.

It can test LEDs.

The following users thanked this post: xavier60, Electro Detective, InductorbackEMF

Offline pjones

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2019, 08:56:25 am »
As others have said as well, I suspect the only reason they are introducing the 28II with a new name is so they can put an end point on the warranty of the 28II series as I suspect they phase it out. The specs make it look like it's identical to the 28II circuitry and functions (not the 87V like they claim) but with a newly designed case to provide a little more drop protection.

If its identical to the 28II wouldn't it be logical to make it the 28II Max, or the 28III?

I have reached out to them but they haven't responded to my questions, and at this point, its been a week or more,  I'm skeptical I will get a reply.

The following users thanked this post: xavier60

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2019, 09:01:38 am »
If its identical to the 28II wouldn't it be logical to make it the 28II Max, or the 28III?

Only to an engineer.

The following users thanked this post: WhichEnt2

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2019, 09:40:11 am »
and another load of Fluke 871V/891V/189 model styled buyer confusion..  :palm:

Anyways, good news for me  :clap: I just need to source a "87 V MAX" sticker from somewhere,

slap it on the 28-11

and good to go for another 10 years with the latest Flukey   :-DMM

and still use different meters for diode/led checks and Low-Z..  ::)

-----------------

Giggles:  ;D

Key features

Withstands drops up to 4-meters (13 feet)  with industrial strength casing and holster
40 meters/130 feet if dropped at nominated DJ locations  :-+

Waterproof, dustproof IP67 case for the most extreme work sites
unless it's a real 'extreme' work site with clumsy dumbass nogas tradies that handle it like a football and compressor/generator wheel chock,
thinking the meter is faulty just because it keeps beeping with the leads in the current position, during a voltage check in Continuity mode   
  :horse:

Premium TL175 TwistGuard™ test leads
Yes please!  :clap:

Double the battery life of the 87V (up to 800 hours); backlit keys for dark environments
Triple the battery leakage risk = a slow miserable demise of the PCB    :(

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:13:07 am by Electro Detective »

The following users thanked this post: xavier60, WhichEnt2, Marco1971

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2019, 12:12:55 pm »

Anyways, good news for me  :clap: I just need to source a "87 V MAX" sticker from somewhere,

slap it on the 28-11
Bruh.... that’s not how Roman numerals work. They’re capital i’s, not 1’s. Especially not when mixing Roman and Arabic numerals...  :palm:

Offline notfaded1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2019, 02:04:13 pm »

slap it on the 28-11
Bruh.... that’s not how Roman numerals work. They’re capital i’s, not 1’s. Especially not when mixing Roman and Arabic numerals...  :palm:

Lol I was also wondering about those model numbers...  I've still got my 87III going strong.  I don't see any reason to change.

Bill
.ılılı..ılılı.
notfaded1

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2019, 02:18:35 pm »

slap it on the 28-11
Tooki... You should know by now how Electro Detective works... It's 1

1Image Credits

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2019, 03:09:54 pm »
As others have said as well, I suspect the only reason they are introducing the 28II with a new name is so they can put an end point on the warranty of the 28II series as I suspect they phase it out. The specs make it look like it's identical to the 28II circuitry and functions (not the 87V like they claim) but with a newly designed case to provide a little more drop protection.

I have reached out to them but they haven't responded to my questions, and at this point, its been a week or more,  I'm skeptical I will get a reply.
Essentially rebadging a model and weaseling out of you promises isn't very classy. Some software developers with "life long support" use the same trick but those don't heavily depend on their reputation.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline WhichEnt2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2019, 03:21:58 pm »
Would like to see what should be called "87 MAX +" in another iteration.
Short pieces, high value, small period, huge amount, long delay.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2019, 05:16:13 pm »

Essentially rebadging a model and weaseling out of you promises isn't very classy. Some software developers with "life long support" use the same trick but those don't heavily depend on their reputation.
I agree. From another angle, there is always a possibility the BOM of the 87V became uninteresting (a device went LTB or too high priced, for example) and they plan to consolidate the two lines.

At any rate, it seems there is some chicanery: Fluke's page disables the 87V MAX comparison checkbox. Oversight?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:43:29 pm by rsjsouza »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2019, 10:10:57 pm »
Here's the   Not Made In Rome Fluke 28-II/28 11/28-ii/28!!/28 Round#2/28-2 RELOADED   Fluke 87V MAX Youtube video > youtube.com/watch?v=iInW6CL3RFE

afaict they aren't really 'roughing it', in fact any decent meter in a zipped lunch bag might handle those 'extremes' just as well.
Perhaps the cash strapped film crew with the sweaty muddied tradie actors only had one 28-MAX/87FATBOY meter to work with?  :-//

Better value to fly in and tradie dressup EEVblog host DJ in that shoot,
showing punters how it's actually used in the field, the modes, apps, proving, and precautions,
and how lead tangles and pinches, drops, drags, stomps and selector oopsies happen.

Bonus footage: what to do with worksite tool and multimeter snatchers   >:D :clap:

--------------

Youtube Comments:

"MEATBALL POWER

Is there a difference between the fluke 27/28 series and this 87v max?

Fluke Corporation

Hi there - Yes, the 87V MAX is a step above the original, successful 28 II. The 87V MAX is the most rugged DMM Fluke has ever built, drop-tested to 4 meters (over 13 feet), while offering a waterproof, dustproof IP67 rated case. The 87V MAX also gives the user TL157 TwistGuard™ test leads. These test leads not only offer adjustable CAT ratings through the TwistGuard probe tips, they remain flexible and usable from -20°C to 55°C (-4°F to 131°F) – the first time both a meter and its test leads have carried such an extreme environmental operating range.

TropicalEncounter

​@Fluke Corporation Aside from the additional meter of drop rating, the rest of the technical specs of this DMM appear to be identical to the 28II, not the 87V like the marketing literature implies. The description on Flukes website says "The 87V MAX contains all the trusted features of the most popular DMM used today, the Fluke 87V, plus much more", but that statement is not true, for example the diode test function is not created equal to the 87V DMM it is identical to the 28II. Why was this model not labeled as the 28III since that product line is what it most closely resembles?"

--------------------

No reply yet  :popcorn: 

EDIT: after a curiosity search  ???  for Fluke Corporation's mention of  "TL157 TwistGuard™ test leads"  ( :-//)
there is no such item, perhaps a typo and meant the TL175 TwistGuard™ test leads > www.fluke.com/en-us/product/accessories/test-leads/fluke-tl175
which fwiw are one of the better/best/hard to beat multimeter test lead sets I've used   :-+

Perhaps the scrape and rebadge TL157MAX leads were late for the revamp party?   :D

(ED = :palm:)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:26:46 pm by Electro Detective »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, xavier60

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2019, 04:43:12 pm »
Yes for sure it is a typo because TL175 is what the Fluke 28-II comes with...

Offline Marco1971

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2019, 07:10:00 pm »
Hi, not in all 28 IIs. My own comes with a pair of TL75 same leads in 101, 87V etc.

Marco1971

Offline Doom-the-Squirrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2019, 07:17:05 pm »
When I first saw this, I thought "Looks a lot like the 28 Series 2".
Glad I'm not the only one that spotted this.

I best it's a marketing thing going on here.

I notice on the page for it there's a chart comparing it to the 87V.
It lists the drop test of the 87V as 3 meters.
Last I checked, the 87V drop rating was 1 meter.
I think someone screwed up in making the page for that thing.

Anyway, I'll stick to my 87V and 88V.

Nice as it is, no need for a meter that can withstand being dropped off a dam.
Yet....

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2019, 08:53:02 pm »
Fluke more likely did this for marketing reasons. The lifetime warranty ends 10 years after production stops and company execs barely do anything that's next quarter let alone has a possible perceived benefit 10 years latter especially if it pisses off next quarters customers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf