Author Topic: What do you think of your EEVblog Brymen BM235 Multimeter ?  (Read 55905 times)

Offline Valver

• Contributor
Re: What do you think of your EEVblog Brymen BM235 Multimeter ?
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2018, 10:07:37 pm »
Received my BM235 recently and am very pleased with it, but i need to clear up an issue. The reading update is not smooth, it updates rapidly for about seven counts then freezes for the equivalent of four counts then continues to update for another seven counts, freezes again and so on. Is this normal? I haven't been able to see this this on any of the Youtube review videos.

I bought this meter without realizing that it didn't have a bar graph. I absolutely need one for the work that I do so I also bought a UNI-T UT61E which has a very fast refresh bar graph. Great, so far so good, but both these meters have an extremely low volume continuity beeper which I simply can't hear so I'm forced to use an old Meterman 5XL which is at least three times louder than both the other meters combined. I want to replace the Meterman because it's useless for voltage measurements (it was given to me) but I need a meter with a LOUD continuity beeper that doesn't cost a fortune. Suggestions?

On the plus side I use the temperature probe to test for overheating power tubes... great feature. Really want to thank Dave for everything!

(Oh, and I like the blue color of the BM235, all my other meters are red, lol. )

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2018, 04:30:39 am »
"my daughter pointed out just the other day that my entire package of relatively new Duracell battery's were corroding while still in the package! "

No Way! My daughter pointed out just the other day that my entire package of relatively new Duracell battery's were also corroding while still in the package! AAA for me, also going back to Costco. Then cleaning off my walkie talkie they Fed up, and moving the rest of the way to Enloops.

Duracells use to be top notch, now they are the F***ing worst. Multiple leakages from them. Where did Everreadys go? They need to step up.

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2018, 01:50:59 pm »
Duracells have been crappy for a couple of decades. Go with the Eneloops. Also, stay away from all Ray O  ac batteries.

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2018, 09:01:23 pm »
I like the meter a lot, except for one thing.
I cannot get the Hz function to work.
I rarely use it but I needed it today and luckily I have another meter that does it.
Has anyone else tried it and got it working ?

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2018, 09:10:43 pm »
It's a good value for the money.

The leads are very good, the digits are darker, good brightness ; remembers the settings when powered off, very accurate. Battery life i'm still using for now the ones that came and so far so good.

Don't use cheap or v shape banana connectors on the A/mA range, because it may lead to wank the beepJack if using custom leads.
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2018, 09:27:54 pm »
I rarely use it but I needed it today and luckily I have another meter that does it.

Can you give more information? Like what voltage and frequency were you trying to measure? Saying "it doesn't work" is hopeless. Obviously it does work.

Offline Valver

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2018, 09:30:30 pm »
@Hextejas, Yes Hz function works correctly but the sensitivity varies from about 8% to 90% of the full scale range to get a proper reading. Use to range button to put the meter in manual mode then select the lowest range you can for the signal you are measuring without going off scale. I tested it on 3v and 120v signals and obtained the correct result of 60 Hz. Check the manual and you will see how widely the sensitivity changes.

My meter doesn't update readings smoothly and this bothers me quite a bit. I get about 6 updates then a hesitation then it updates again. Does this happen to you?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2018, 09:43:44 pm »
My meter doesn't update readings smoothly and this bothers me quite a bit. I get about 6 updates then a hesitation then it updates again. Does this happen to you?

I could not test this without a continuously varying frequency. For example, when measuring the mains frequency it is constant and doesn't change, so I cannot see or tell when the display updates.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2018, 09:51:19 pm »

Apparently it does happen on DC volts, for example. It doesn't bother me particularly, though.

Offline Valver

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2018, 09:51:49 pm »
My meter acts this way on all measurements: voltage, resistance, and current

Offline Valver

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2018, 09:54:25 pm »
OK thanks, I was wondering if it was defective, I have never seen this behavior before

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2018, 02:49:25 am »

Can you give more information? Like what voltage and frequency were you trying to measure? Saying "it doesn't work" is hopeless. Obviously it does work.
Sorry Ian, I could have been more specific. I was trying to read 1.2khz @ 10v. I think that I had it set correctly, but will try again tomorrow. I followed the manual, set the freq/v to 6 and the meter showed 00.00.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2018, 03:17:13 am »
Sorry Ian, I could have been more specific. I was trying to read 1.2khz @ 10v. I think that I had it set correctly, but will try again tomorrow. I followed the manual, set the freq/v to 6 and the meter showed 00.00.

I can't test your exact signal myself, but what I would do is let the meter auto-range on the AC V setting until it shows 10 V on the display, then press the Hz button.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2018, 04:04:31 am »
I just did a quick test with my local line frequency of 60 Hz. When measuring frequency and with the sensitivity set to 60 V, the meter was able to report the frequency correctly with an input down to 2.5 V. Below about 2.5 V the display showed 00.00.

Offline YU2

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2018, 12:02:24 pm »
I am in Germany, which small size DMM for about 100€ is the best buy? Is it still bm257s?

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2018, 02:16:35 pm »
gonna try and post 5 pictures.
2 are with a working meter Amprobe
3 with the bm235 not working

Offline Valver

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2018, 03:37:29 pm »

You are measuring 10v on what seems to be the 600v range, the minimum sensitivity for this range is 50v according to the line frequency chart in the Brymen manual on page 28. Try increasing the signal level to 60v. 

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2018, 03:51:07 pm »

You seem to be using the "LoZ" mode. Switch instead to the "VFD V~=" range and press SELECT until the display shows "~". It should auto-range to the 60 V range. Then press the "Hz" button.

Offline Valver

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2018, 03:55:03 pm »

You seem to be using the "LoZ" mode. Switch instead to the "VFD V~=" range and press SELECT until the display shows "~". It should auto-range to the 60 V range. Then press the "Hz" button.

10v is minimum sensitivity for the 60v range also, need higher voltage to trigger the frequency counter

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2018, 04:18:38 pm »
10v is minimum sensitivity for the 60v range also, need higher voltage to trigger the frequency counter

The signal is 10 V. But I tested it down to 2.5 V successfully. Or change to the 6 V frequency setting.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
A quick test:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:50:24 pm by IanB »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2018, 05:12:44 pm »

It's not enough information.  My guess is you are biasing the signal above the meter's common and have not considered that the BM235 requires a zero cross.   If this is not what you are doing, please provide further details.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:36:01 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2018, 07:27:21 pm »
Lets see.
I was showing the BM235 against the same input that shows correctly and as expected on the other meter.
I set the hz meter to 6v sensitivity as suggested. That supposedly is the most sensitive setting or so someone said.
I was using the the LoZ  setting so as to be able to show the voltage under test. ~10.5

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2018, 07:29:08 pm »

You are measuring 10v on what seems to be the 600v range, the minimum sensitivity for this range is 50v according to the line frequency chart in the Brymen manual on page 28. Try increasing the signal level to 60v.
I believe that I tested it on the 6v range as well as the 60v range. I will try ot again.

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2018, 07:31:59 pm »

The signal is 10 V. But I tested it down to 2.5 V successfully. Or change to the 6 V frequency setting.
I did Ian, as one of the pictures shows the 6V.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf