Author Topic: WHat is a Fluke 179-"C" ?  (Read 5387 times)

Offline splitzzzzzTopic starter

• Contributor
WHat is a Fluke 179-"C" ?
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:42:40 am »
Hi all

I can't see this posted anywheres so...I'm looking at buying a Fluke 179 and have come across the below on RS-Online.

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-multimeters/3944492/

It's listed as a "179" but the image shows "179C". Googling "Fluke 179C" shows many images like this but I can't get any information on the origin of the model.

I have emailed RS-online Tech. Desk but they haven't replied. A Perth based Fluke dealer was unable to assist saying they'd never heard of it!

Anyone have any ideas? Is this perhaps one produced for the Chinese market?

Cheers

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Re: WHat is a Fluke 179-"C" ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:23:02 am »
The carrying case/pouch it comes with?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:22 am »
The carrying case/pouch it comes with?
I don't think I've ever seen Fluke change the markings on the device depending on the set it comes with, but I might be mistaken.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:12:46 am »
No the unit model stamped on it doesn't get changed if it comes in a pack with case or other accessories. Same unit with accessories.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:18:02 am »
BTW I spend hours googling with every combination I could think of......Fluke 179 / 179C / 179 model variations / 179 versions etc and came up with nothing. Certainly not on the Fluke Website

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 10:03:15 am »
For 289 and 87V, -C denotes Chinese version. I can't imagine 179 is of any difference.
The next question would be what the difference is between the Chinese and regular version, other than the intended market. Is it just a way for Fluke to distinguish between warranties?

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 11:07:18 am »
OK so seems the "C" is Chinese version. So RS-Online selling Chinese version in Oz but no cheaper than 179 version?

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 02:00:44 am »
Well I finally got a reply from Fluke USA tech help desk;

"Hello Peter,

The Fluke 179C is a China only model. Unless you are in China, you would not be able to purchase this item.

Michael C.
Field Support Engineer
Fluke Corporation
1-800-443-5853"

So are RS-Online selling Chinese versions which might make the Fluke International Lifetime warranty questionable..or has some "nuff-nuff" at RS-Online just grabbed som random picture from Google Images?

No reply from RS-Online as yet.

Might steer clear of them I think!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 02:22:40 am »
I have the Fluke 177 model and think its a great wee meter! The 179 also does temperature where the 177 does not, I think they are the same otherwise. I'd recommend the 17x model no problem at all. I only have good things to report from mine. I would make sure it's a made in America one too though.
I hope you get one and get as much pleasure from it as I do mine. It's my go to for quick measurements!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 04:06:12 am »
I have the Fluke 177 model and think its a great wee meter! The 179 also does temperature where the 177 does not, I think they are the same otherwise. I'd recommend the 17x model no problem at all. I only have good things to report from mine. I would make sure it's a made in America one too though.
I hope you get one and get as much pleasure from it as I do mine. It's my go to for quick measurements!

Thanks Terry01

I have picked up a 179 retail at an OK price, yes I'm sure I'll be happy. Also have a Fluke 28II coming on back order!  :)

In the 170 series they are largely the same specs except, the 175 has a basic DCV accuracy of 0.15% whereas the 177 & 179 are 0.09%. The 177 & 179 have backlit LCD whereas the 175 doesn't and as you say the 179 has temp.

When I opened the 179 box there was no calibration certificate from Fluke...should there have been one? I'm surprised there isn't!

Also when I peeled back the screen protector and turned on the backlight, I can see a tiny spec on the plastic LCD screen cover! It didn't come off with a quick clean. Unsure what it is, perhaps a small spec of something behind the screen. I will try and take a macro photo now in good natural light and blow it up on my PC so I can see what/where it is. It's only very small and prolly not a deal breaker but it's noticeable and annoying paying $550 for a brand new Fluke DMM I expect not to get that! So I might consider returning it Monday. Retailer is now closed until then so I can't play with my new toy! Mebbe I'm being too picky?

Cheers

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 04:19:51 am »
Small dark spec...hard to capture but in good light with naked eye doesn't appear to be a dead pixel!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:52:26 pm »
Hi buddy, did you get your 179 sorted out? I see the wee speck but looks like something behind the screen protector. Hard to see properly. Your 179 should have "Made In U.S.A" imprinted in the actual plastic back. Maybe just a misprint with the "C" or something?

Hope you get it fixed out...Terry

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:49 am »
Hi buddy, did you get your 179 sorted out? I see the wee speck but looks like something behind the screen protector. Hard to see properly. Your 179 should have "Made In U.S.A" imprinted in the actual plastic back. Maybe just a misprint with the "C" or something?

Hope you get it fixed out...Terry

Yes mate took it back the next day and they swapped it for another newie. It wasn't dust inside it seems to be something in the plastic cover which got in there during manufacture as in actually embedded in the plastic. Disappointing given it was a Fluke.

Yep was made in USA I steered away from the RS-online but they eventually got back to me and said the image was an error and they only supply USA Fluke via the Australian Distrubutor.

CHeers

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 08:35:07 am »
Cool, at least you got it sorted and are happy now. I suppose it just goes to show even the best brand names cannot stop a wee bit of dust or whatever. If it gets in during manufacture there's not a lot they can do. If you pay for the top stuff you want it 100% perfect  right?
I've yet to feel let down or disappointed with my 177 after around a year or there about, hope you get the same satisfaction from yours!

Later buddy...

The following users thanked this post: splitzzzzz

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 10:20:15 am »
Cheers Terry all good!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 05:50:17 pm »
Cool, at least you got it sorted and are happy now. I suppose it just goes to show even the best brand names cannot stop a wee bit of dust or whatever. If it gets in during manufacture there's not a lot they can do.
Sure there is: catch it in quality control. It shouldn't have made it to a customer.

Of course, it is possible to totally prevent dust. But it's just probably orders of magnitude cheaper to just toss out the occasional flawed piece of plastic than to move the entire manufacturing into silicon fab-type cleanrooms!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:40 pm »
These things happen....unfortunately.

Medical tools for surgery and things like that will be made in 100% clean rooms but I bet even sometimes things slip through there too. A wee bit of dust...the wee stone that gets in your lawn mower in the middle of your lawn....yada yada yada! There's always one as they say..... :P

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 10:14:05 pm »

Medical tools for surgery and things like that will be made in 100% clean rooms but I bet even sometimes things slip through there too. A wee bit of dust...the wee stone that gets in your lawn mower in the middle of your lawn....yada yada yada! There's always one as they say..... :P
FWIW, surgical gear isn't made in cleanrooms, it doesn't need it. It's made in clean rooms, but not cleanrooms. ;) The items are then cleaned, packaged, and then sterilized.

Realistically, the main products we routinely use that are made in cleanrooms are semiconductors, high-res display panels, hard disks, etc. Vaccines probably, too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:18:46 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:55:49 pm »

FWIW, surgical gear isn't made in cleanrooms, it doesn't need it. It's made in clean rooms, but not cleanrooms. ;) The items are then cleaned, packaged, and then sterilized.

Realistically, the main products we routinely use that are made in cleanrooms are semiconductors, high-res display panels, hard disks, etc. Vaccines probably, too.

Gawd!!! If they had half a brain they'd make a vaccine in a cleanroom/clean room for the "annoying wee bit of dust" that gets in behind some meter screens sometimes. Then they could just make the meters in an old shed somewhere and give the meters a quick vaccine jab on the way out the door and........  :o

I'll be back in 5 mins.....,,,,,,  :-/O

I'm off to patent a new idea I've just had......I can trust you not to steal my idea while i'm gone right?  :o

It's gonna be the next big thing in the electronics industry! You'll see!!   :horse:  :horse:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf