Author Topic: What is this connector? Anritsu 37347C  (Read 905 times)

Offline pratikenTopic starter

• Contributor
What is this connector? Anritsu 37347C
« on: October 22, 2019, 11:32:35 pm »
Hi

I'm using an 37347C and I'm wondering what this connector is? Ultimately, I'd like SMA M.
The datasheet says it's Universal K (male) which I learned is 2.92mm and also the shares the same pin as SMA. However, I don't think it's a good idea to screw an SMA F in there, is it? Is there a bulkhead adapter that would protect the instrument's connector and allow me to connect an SMA M cable to it safely?

Thank you for the advice!!

Online EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What is this connector? Anritsu 37347C
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 12:37:08 am »
From Radiall (a high quality connector mfgr):

SMA 2.9 (K)
Sub miniature screw-on connector, operating in the range DC-40 GHz
50 ohms / part series R127
SMA 2.9 also called "K" or "2.92 mm" connector was developped in the 1980's and is standardized per IEC 61169-35.
Intermateable with SMA and SMA3.5, SMA 2.9 is used for test and measurement and for high frequency microwave modules. The range includes some SMA 2.9 connectors specified up to 46 GHz.

I would not bring an SMA near it if it's in good shape.

Offline pratikenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:37:35 am »
Thanks EE-Digger!

The device I'm testing is SMA F, so I'm going to use cables that are SMA M to SMA M

If I understand this right, I need a 2.92mm to SMA converter such as this one?
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-sv-microwave/SF1115-6005/SF1115-6005-ND/6201679

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 10:47:38 am »
This is a common connector type on VNAs which are ruggedized connectors. They use the female connectors, and if you get the fancy phase-stable VNA cables from the manufacturer, you will often find they first thread on the inside and then have a second connection to the outer thread for increased strength.

You really should not connect an SMA to a VNA 2.92 mm. It can be okay if you have high-quality SMA connectors but even then should be avoided. You could use a connector save for this, such as the one you suggested.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf