Author Topic: Micsig TO1104 alternatives?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline runeaznTopic starter

Micsig TO1104 alternatives?
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:07:21 am »
Hello everyone a beginner here!

I wanted to buy myself an oscilloscope, I first considered the RIGOL DS1054Z, but after reading some good reviews on the MICSIG I thought it was pretty nice. Since I am from the newer generation I think I would easily get accustomed to the tablet design, which I favor.
however, tl;dr due to lack of communication I could not buy the TO1104.
So my requirements are:
-budget of $400-ish (if there is a  good reason I can stretch this to up to double, but it delays my Christmas present as I still need to work for it)

Some lesser requirements:
- Preference 4 channels but not necessary
-size, my workspace is limited
-Bus decoding can be useful for future

Most requirements I am not too sure about since I'm starting up this hobby for electronics. What I mainly want to use it for, is to apply knowledge I gain from University and also to do some electronic projects. Being inspired by Dave I am currently trying to build a nixie clock, luckily an oscilloscope is not really needed for this work, though it would be interesting to analyze transients.

I have the RIGOL DS1054Z in my mind, but I want to have a discussion on the pros and cons in order to know what I am getting. Also I think it's important to take other scopes into account, but with my limited knowledge about them it is difficult to see which I should consider.

Also, since this is a typical newbie question I hope I am not making a newbie mistake; since the to1104 is a recently new model, I do not think I there is/were similar situations.
[snip]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:41:44 pm by runeazn »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Micsig TO1104 alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:30:24 am »
You wrote way too much information so some of the vital parts of it got lost. People only remember parts of what you write. I see student and Russia in your text and I guess that is all the information which the reader (which probably gets hundreds of e-mails each day) absorbed from your message.
Batronix has a special offer as well and since they are in Germany it will be easier for repairs under warranty (if needed).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline runeaznTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:01:27 am »
[snip]
I will look into the offer Baktronix has, thank you.
I have a question though, I was not really able to find whether the 1054z has bus decoding, which I might be interested in.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:29:08 pm by runeazn »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »
What kind of bus decoding do you mean?
BTW the TO1104 can do two different protocols at the same time. This may come in handy every now and then but it seems it doesn't decode the entire memory and it also doesn't have a list view of the messages.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:47:14 pm »
What kind of bus decoding do you mean?
BTW the TO1104 can do two different protocols at the same time. This may come in handy every now and then but it seems it doesn't decode the entire memory and it also doesn't have a list view of the messages.
I looked at text strings inside recent firmware (287) while trying to figure out what's changed. It appears to have that "list of messages" functionality: there are a lot of new functions called SerialTextFrame... But either it's not ready yet or it is for different model :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf