Author Topic: What to expect from a mantis scope?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline FrankTTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What to expect from a mantis scope?
« on: December 28, 2019, 02:22:49 am »
I bought a used original mantis scope a while back with x4 and x8 lenses.  I was wondering what to expect from the view.

I find to get a detailed view, I need to position my head in a very specific spot.  If I move left/right or up/down by just a centimeter, I lose the image.

Is this expected, or could it have been knocked out of alignment during shipping (UK to Australia)?

Thanks,
Frank

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What to expect from a mantis scope?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 03:14:46 am »
Our production people always seemed to like them but I prefer a stereo scope with binocular/dual optical paths.

You might try bringing your head in closer, wear glasses with a slight magnification if necessary.  This may help to bring you "inside" the field of view.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:55:55 am »
The advantages of a mantis scope are mainly ergonomics and health.
- You can sit up straight, not hunched over a normal microscope all day.
- Less eye strain than a normal microscope.

But you trade some other things to get those advantages.
- It's harder to find and stay in the sweet spot.
- Some people say the image, while good, is not as good as a high quality microscope.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 11:49:12 am »
First: yes you definately will have to adjust it after transportation. But this is a quick and easy task. You will find the Operating Instructions And Service Manual (25 pages) of the Mantis on the net, if not I can send you a PDF if you like.

I am using both, a stereo microscope and a Mantis, though 99,9% of the time the Mantis is preferred.
If you only need to work for a few minutes on a chip, a stereo microscope is fine but after 15 minutes you will feel the difference in your neck ...

Yes you need to keep your head at the sweet spot as the Mantis is still a pure optical system like the microscope. It is not a monitor, you still have a real 3D view which makes working / inspection much easier than a 2D view on a monitor.

What I would strongly propose is the 6x SLWD lens (there is one on Ebay right now) as it allows a much higher working distance and thus it brings the head up approx. another 10cm (makes working easier). Also a height-adjustable desk would be perfect (which I do not have by now).

The latter two tips are also helpful for a regular stereo microscope - here a x0.35 lens will allow you a large working distance and less neck problems as the oculars are then located much higher.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf