Author Topic: What to pay attention to when buying multimeter probes?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline touchatoutTopic starter

• Contributor
What to pay attention to when buying multimeter probes?
« on: April 28, 2023, 07:13:27 pm »
Hi everyone,

The probes of my Fluke 70 multimeter (see attached picture) tend to be too thick for testing small components on laptop motherboards, SSD, and other devices. So, I am looking for thiner ones to test surface mounted components, mostly to diagnose/troubleshoot board.

As not having owned any other multimeter probes, I am a novice in this field and would appreciate hearing about knowledge and experience from others.

For a pair of Chinese probes, price seems ranging roughly from 2 € to 10 €.

In comparison the handfree ones from SensePeek (https://sensepeek.com/webshop-1) cost 29 €+VAT (model SP10) to 39 €+VAT (model SQ10).

Of course not the same kind of probes, and I assume having both handheld and handfree ones would be useful, or alternatively handheld ones together with holders like PMK's 3D Positioner arm (http://www.pmk.de/en/products/3d_positionierer) which also would have other possible usages.

From experience with other equipment and supplies (hot air station, soldering iron, electrical wire), for handheld probes I would pay attention to the following::
  • coating material of the power chord (silicon and not PVC). Some sellers even mention a double layer of silicon, which I assume offers more flexibility.
  • enough length: those that came with my Fluke 70 are 1.35 meter, which I find comfortable, but maybe shorter ones would be enough for board repair

What else?
Diameter and material of the core of the chord?

Test probes seems coming with extension needles. I assume that contrarily to the durable probes that I currently have, the needles from thin probes are to replace from time to time. So, should I pay attention to the possibility of replacing the needles?

I also see that the thin needles are often mentioned as gold plated. Should I be concerned about the thickness of the plating?
Is the availability of replacement needles something to check before the purchase?

Sometimes, cheap tools can have a very correct quality. Other times, it is really worth putting the price in premium tools.
Visually speaking, even the cheapest handheld Chinese probes are appealing. Are they decent or pure crap?

So, what about the quality of multimeter probes and the factors to pay attention to?

Thank your for your advices.

Offline andyB2022

• Regular Contributor
Re: What to pay attention to when buying multimeter probes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 07:37:54 pm »
I have some probes from Fluke but they are too thick to get around SMDs. I use a cheap Chinese pair, see image below.

I have added the color matched heatshrink tube over the leads so I don't short something out while measuring. I use them for voltage injection up to 5A too. The cable is not PVC or silicone, but somewhere in between. When dealing with electrical stuff, I use TL175 with the thicker metal bareels screwed to their heads to make good contact in EU style sockets. 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 07:58:14 pm »
These work and are dangerously sharp:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000003777056.html

It's what Big Clive uses (ducks under table), and it looks like Zoyi included them with their new scope meter.

Go to time 13:26
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 08:04:41 pm by Fungus »

Online NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 08:54:08 pm »
For the type of work you described, my preference is the Keysight 34133A, it is good for precision electronics and the spring loaded tip makes keeping it in place much easier.

https://www.keysight.com/us/en/product/34133A/precision-electronic-test-leads.html

I typically use it with the 34461A or 34465A, but the right angle plug also makes it ideal for hand held meters as well. It is a little pricey, but it works well.  Just another option for you to consider.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 11:17:52 am »
Those sharp probes are needed for certain task but normally I don't want them on my meter because it's dangerous.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 11:25:42 am »
This kit from Hirschmann is nice for probing small components:

https://www.hirschmann-multimedia.com/nl/artnr/932959001/pms-0-64-miniatuur-testset
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline touchatoutTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 04:47:52 pm »
Thank you all for your answers, suggestions and pictures.

Among after watching several reviews on Youtube, and reading other threads on this forum, it seems ther is a consensus that Probemaster's test leads with gold plated tips are among the best ones, and reasonably priced. They are made in USA. Unfortunately not that easy to find here in Europe, although one can order from their website.

On the on high-end side of test leads, with spring mounted tips (pogo pins), for testing small electronic components:
On this forum, I read good things about the probes from Pomona.

On the low cost side, I like the spikes of the test leads that andyB2022 uses.

@andyB2022: Could you please add a picture showing the plug and the metal connector inside it?
And possibly a weblink to the listing?

Only tips were pictured in previous messages, but when paying attention to details of low cost Chinese probes, one can see that the length of the cylinder of the plug is often about 5mm shorter than on Fluke probes. Typically, is seems that total height of the connector is ~28 mm for Chinese probes, vs 33 mm on my Fluke probes.

Some differences that one can also observe is the inner of the plug. Solid on Fluke probes, with a middle split, and a carefully studied shape.
On Chinese probes is often a cylinder split in a cross.

On Fluke probes, the metal connector is the connector is 5mm inside plastic cylinder plug (for additional security), whilst on Chinese probes, it is almost at the same level as the cylinder. This likely explains the 5mm difference on the plug length.

It seems that almost all budget Chinese probes (< 5$ delivery included) use the same connector plug.
Those in the mid-range (10-15$ delivery included) use another connector plug. So, very likely the quality of the plug also matters.

Some other factors to consider:
  • many Chinese seller tells about "silicon" probes, but for many items it seems that he silicon is for the handle only, and not the power chord
  • the core of the chord is either pure copper or tinned copper. Tin protects copper from corrosion, but is it really useful in this context? Tin having less conductance than copper, I don't see the benefit here.
  • silicon chords are usually more flexible than pvc ones
  • quality of the pen (more or less stiffness of the handle)

Offline modoran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 06:12:57 pm »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000003777056.html

How about using something like Aneng PT2002 ? It attaches to any reglar multimeter probes to be used only you need them and not cut yourself in it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003783177149.html

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 07:49:07 pm »
How about using something like Aneng PT2002 ? It attaches to any reglar multimeter probes to be used only you need them and not cut yourself in it.

I keep the caps on those probes when not in use, they scary.  :scared:

I have many meters, I keep those probes in my Aneng 870 and grab it when I need something sharp. :)

I think AndyB2022's probes are the same except he put heatshrink over the needles.

It looks like Aneng sells them with crocodile clip attachments: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000810168665.html

You could kill two birds with one stone - sharp and clippy for $4.

Only tips were pictured in previous messages, but when paying attention to details of low cost Chinese probes, one can see that the length of the cylinder of the plug is often about 5mm shorter than on Fluke probes. Typically, is seems that total height of the connector is ~28 mm for Chinese probes, vs 33 mm on my Fluke probes.

Some differences that one can also observe is the inner of the plug. Solid on Fluke probes, with a middle split, and a carefully studied shape. On Chinese probes is often a cylinder split in a cross.

On Fluke probes, the metal connector is the connector is 5mm inside plastic cylinder plug (for additional security), whilst on Chinese probes, it is almost at the same level as the cylinder. This likely explains the 5mm difference on the plug length.

It seems that almost all budget Chinese probes (< 5$ delivery included) use the same connector plug.
Those in the mid-range (10-15$ delivery included) use another connector plug. So, very likely the quality of the plug also matters.

Some other factors to consider:
  • many Chinese seller tells about "silicon" probes, but for many items it seems that he silicon is for the handle only, and not the power chord
  • the core of the chord is either pure copper or tinned copper. Tin protects copper from corrosion, but is it really useful in this context? Tin having less conductance than copper, I don't see the benefit here.
  • silicon chords are usually more flexible than pvc ones
  • quality of the pen (more or less stiffness of the handle)

I think you're over-thinking a $3 set of probes. At that price you can just get some and try them.

(or get the Aneng ones with crocodile clips mentioned above - they specifically say they're gold/silicone and show cable cross sections in the listing).

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 11:30:27 pm »
Probe Master probes are awesome. welectron.com is a distributor for Europe, check their website. Just make sure you're ordering the right ones to fit your meter.

I like their "master kits" that include lots of attachments. I have them for both DMM and DSO stuff.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 08:23:32 am »
(or get the Aneng ones with crocodile clips mentioned above - they specifically say they're gold/silicone and show cable cross sections in the listing).

I threw a set of those on my latest AliExpress order. Let's see if the wires are any better than the others.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 07:41:47 pm »
I threw a set of those on my latest AliExpress order. Let's see if the wires are any better than the others.

They arrived today, and.... yep! They're definitely much better than the generic leads that look the same on Aliexpress.

Silicon/gold for sure.   :-+

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 05:01:43 pm »

They arrived today, and.... yep! They're definitely much better than the generic leads that look the same on Aliexpress.

Silicon/gold ford sure.   :-+
I ordered those and the ones that have just arrived from Aneng official store  are not silicone. They have PVC marked on the cables.

Online DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 07:48:21 pm »
Tend to use these very cheap-silicone'ish leads & probes from the Shenzhen flee market...
sometimes they are labeled Glegee or Hantek or..
Its these below, cost around 4 US delivered incl 25%. EU VAT.. -  its mainly because I like the open-end banana plugs, so I can attach needles, probes, or crocodile clips, -
the resistance was super good enough for my simple use-case.
The multimeters they are intended for are low cost-DMMs, but still, a step-up versus the cheap plastic leads/probes there normally is with budget meters, like below, that all are under 40 US.. my main priority is a banana interface, for the diversity of so many accessories, even very tiny SMD grippers with an adapter, or connect or stack with other test gear, prefer the flexibility.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:04:48 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 07:51:48 pm »

Silicon/gold ford sure.   :-+
I ordered those and the ones that have just arrived from Aneng official store  are not silicone. They have PVC marked on the cables.

This are the markings on the leads I received compared to the "generic seller" leads I bought last year:

The difference in flexibility, etc., is notable and the gold is a lot more golden on the Anengs.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:56:39 pm by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2023, 08:28:05 pm »
PS: The Aneng store advertises them as Silicone leads so if yours are marked "PVC" then you should send them back.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2023, 10:10:51 pm »
I dislike the probes growing in size, they are huge now. Overall 5.5" long and the tips are protruding almost 3/4" it's stupid big.

The last sets of Aliexpress cheap multimeter test leads I bought, wow "25A" is really "25 AWG" lol and then the sheath is too big, it doesn't fit most of my multimeters lol 8.6mm OD- explains the price.

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2023, 08:51:30 pm »
I can't be bothered "winging it" with cheap chinese probes.

I spent decades (and lot's of money) using Fluke, Mueller & Pomona. Now I use Probemaster exclusively. Quality, price and service can't be beat.

I like these for SMD probing:

https://probemaster.com/spring-loaded-micro-tip-test-leads-only/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf