Author Topic: What's The Point Of A 'High Definition' Oscilloscope? i.g. 12-bit ADC  (Read 3078 times)

Offline nbrittonTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Teledyne LeCroy is marketing its HDO4000 with a 12-bit ADC, however, the vertical resolution on their LCD screen is 800 pixels. What's the point of 2^12 (4096) levels when you're limited to 800 pixels on the screen?

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: What's The Point Of A 'High Definition' Oscilloscope? i.g. 12-bit ADC
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 05:17:45 am »
I'm guessing data acquisition.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 05:19:58 am »
What's the point of 2^12 (4096) levels when you're limited to 800 pixels on the screen?

Zoom.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 05:46:19 am »
The FFT function will also have a lower noise floor.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:06:35 am »
More Points!

(couldn't resist)

But yes it would help if they also increased the Display resolution, waiting for a Full HD scope for a nice price... (with HDMI out)
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline wiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:57 am »
DAQ! I would have use of 12 bits today for a specific measurement. We got a DSO-X 2004 for the purpose, I'm now trying to figure out how to get higher resolution saved data in averaging mode for that one now.

Offline acbern

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:07:23 am »
If you want to calibrate say a signal generator's output, more bits (and of course only if this translates into a better accuracy spec, which would be expectable; have not checked your specific scope's spec) are essential. As these scopes all have measurement menues to do e.g. a peak to peak measurement (potentially with avaraging to eliminate noise), resolution of the screen is not the issue here.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:09:47 am »
Teledyne LeCroy is marketing its HDO4000 with a 12-bit ADC, however, the vertical resolution on their LCD screen is 800 pixels. What's the point of 2^12 (4096) levels when you're limited to 800 pixels on the screen?

You make the misstake to assume that the output of the ADC is scaled to fit in the visible vertical range on the screen. This is not the case. Only a (big) part of the output range of the ADC is actually visible on the screen.

Here is one explanation: http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-01b1/0/-/-/-/-/file.pdf

Further, with highspeed 14-bit ADC's usually the two or three lowest significant bits are useless because of noise and non-linearity.
The effective number of bits is somewhere between 9 and 11 bits. Still a big improvement.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 08:49:35 am »
If you want to calibrate say a signal generator's output, more bits (and of course only if this translates into a better accuracy spec, which would be expectable; have not checked your specific scope's spec) are essential. As these scopes all have measurement menues to do e.g. a peak to peak measurement (potentially with avaraging to eliminate noise), resolution of the screen is not the issue here.

But doesn't noise almost always dominate for any given sample? You can overcome this with hi-res mode, but then again you can do high-res mode with an 8 bit DAC and end up with a ENOB of more than 8 bits, which isn't limited by quantisation noise?

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:22:47 am »
You can zoom at it, analyze it later with more resolution in any external device. Also, the automatic scope voltage measurements get more decimal places. All in all more resolution of any kind means more data for you to use.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf