Author Topic: Where can I get a 3-phase AC signal generator?  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Ben321Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Where can I get a 3-phase AC signal generator?
« on: October 07, 2022, 05:37:59 am »
I know there's industrial single-phase to 3-phase converter units, that use a standard single-phase AC motor to drive a 3-phase generator. However, these are very expensive, and involve working with dangerous high voltage (single-phase motor runs on 120VAC, and the generator output is 277VAC phase-to-ground and 480VAC phase-to-phase). I also know there's cheaper and safer (low voltage 3-phase) solid-state signal generators out there, because years ago, I saw on a website that sold electronic equipment for use in schools and colleges, and they had one that just plugged into a regular 120V outlet, and the front panel of the device had 4 banana-plug sockets (one for each phase, and one for neutral) for the outpout. But for the life of me, I don't remember what website it was that was selling it, or who manufactured this solid state 3-phase AC signal generator.

If anybody here knows of a lab or demonstration type solid-state 3-phase AC signal generator, that's currently being manufactured and sold, please let me know where to find it.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Where can I get a 3-phase AC signal generator?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 05:46:19 am »
Any three (or more) channel AWG should be able to output a low voltage, low power three phase signal, if set up correctly.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 06:31:47 am »
Any three (or more) channel AWG should be able to output a low voltage, low power three phase signal, if set up correctly.

That's a good idea, but I was just wondering where I could get something that could output a little more power, like for running low voltage 3-phase AC motors or low voltage light bulbs. I remember there being such a device sold on a more educational oriented science equipment website before. It output like 12v 3-phase AC for educational lab and demonstration purposes. But I can't find anything like that on the internet right now.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 07:10:13 am »
BLDC motors are actually permanent magnet synchronous 3 phase motors/generators.

So just get low RPM high torque brushless motor(like used in RC cars/boats) and spin it with another mother at the desired RPM for the frequency you want.

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 07:11:52 am »
There are frequency converters one-phase to three-phase with adjustable output voltage. Googling gave me only this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ACSOON-AF400W-1-Phase-to-3_60439961502.html

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 07:15:21 am »
You could get a small VFC with 3 phase output and use 3 stepdown transformers...

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 07:28:12 am »
There will be a handful of companies making these things for teaching labs:
http://www.didalab-didactique.fr/site/materiel/EN-produit-951.html
https://infinispark.com.au/products/portaphase/

you will not like the prices

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 07:32:56 am »
Three of these should do it:
ITECH IT-M7700

Or if you need lower voltages, just get three waveform generators and sync them up.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 07:39:26 am »
Or if you need lower voltages, just get three waveform generators and sync them up.
2x two channel AWG's can easy do this if they have 2 features, sync and phase shifting.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: balnazzar

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 07:58:10 am »
Voutput? KVA? type of load?

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Le_Bassiste

• Frequent Contributor
An assertion ending with a question mark is a brain fart.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 11:46:05 pm »
I think with the last post the question was answered.
Although it could be interesting to check if this :

You could get a small VFC with 3 phase output and use 3 stepdown transformers

Wouldn´t be a cheaper solution.
Apart from this, 2 decades ago we were in the need for a AC source with three phases and frequencies between 2...4khz, voltages up to 140Vrms.
No solution on the market...what to do...
We´ve modified a sinewave-generation pcb* in such manner to get the frequencies up to 4khz.
And then feeding the three-phase sinewaves into ordinary audioamplifiers, in this case PA amplifiers.
Got a huge advantage, outputfilters are not needed.

*)3-phase sinewaves generated by a PLD, Eprom, 8-Bit ADCs and U/I conversion/filtering.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 12:37:04 am »
It might have been made by Feedback

They used to produce a lot of equipment for educational use, and a 3-phase low power system would be suitable for running an ac servo

Here's a typical bit of Feedback kit : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185508991896 - they very often used that blue case.

And here's a very education-specific piece https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154557379115
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 12:51:33 am by artag »

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 12:39:36 am »
BLDC motors are actually permanent magnet synchronous 3 phase motors/generators.

So just get low RPM high torque brushless motor(like used in RC cars/boats) and spin it with another mother at the desired RPM for the frequency you want.

You could also use a BLDC sensorless driver. These are available at very low cost and used to run drone motors. Some even have open software.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 01:03:50 am »
Probably the cheapest and easiest way (other than an expensive dedicated device) to bodge together some moderate-power three-phase is the get 2 FY6900 AWGs and 2 FPA2000- series amplifiers from eBay or Aliexpress.  That will give you four channels of arbitrary output and up to 50W/channel, 25Vrms @ 2A.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2022, 06:41:44 am »
There will be a handful of companies making these things for teaching labs:
http://www.didalab-didactique.fr/site/materiel/EN-produit-951.html
https://infinispark.com.au/products/portaphase/

you will not like the prices

This is the best answer!
Specifically the webpage http://www.didalab-didactique.fr/site/materiel/EN-produit-951.html shows a device that appears to be the exact, or almost exact product I was thinking of when I originally started this thread. The problem though is I don't know what the price is. They appear to not list the price. The second problem is that it appears to use a European plug (which also means it runs on 240V, not 120V, and I live in the US with 120V).

I'm pretty sure the one I remember seeing years ago was one meant for US use, and thus would have had a US style power plug, and be designed to run on 120V AC. Is anybody here aware of a US version of this product?

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 12:44:48 am »

Yep,  works well. Just need power amplifiers to get it up to something useful.

1610812-0
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 01:14:40 am »
Manta Test
Doble Engineering
Omicron

You will need a suitcase full of money

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:24 am »

(Attachment Link)

Where would you get such power amplifiers?

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 01:02:18 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Where would you get such power amplifiers?

Kepco
Manta Test
Doble Engineering
Omicron

They have amplifiers that output up to 300V, 180A, 2400VA.  They are stable into some pretty nasty loads

The didalab looks like it only outputs 24V

There is a really old Manta 1710 kit on ebay for $4500 right now (3x 400VA current, 3x150VA voltage), good luck if it fails Manta was purchased by Doble recently so the 1710 is no longer serviced. They sold for about $40-50k way back then, so $4500 is pretty cheap
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 01:16:41 pm by Jester »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 01:53:22 pm »
Ben,

You don't show where you're from but take a look at some of the Elgar AC Power Sources.  These generally sell cheaply because very few people understand them or have a need for one.  They are available with single phase or three phase outputs (and with a single phase input!) and up to 260 volts. Depending on the plugin, they're either fixed frequency or can be variable frequency (up to 10khz IIRC).  The output voltage is also variable.  The 251 models can output up to 250 VA and the 501 models up to 500 VA and there are larger models. Be warned though that these are beasts!  They're a full rack mount size and even the lightest one weighs nearly 100 pounds and the biggest ones are MUCH bigger and heavier.  Brochures, installation and operator manuals, repair info and other docs are available on line. I currently have five of these. I was able to get several of mine from local surplus dealers for a song since they're too heavy to ship with major headaches and no one else wanted them so I got two for scrap metal prices and the others were just given to me.

If you're in the US or other major country, go on E-bay and see what's available.  Then search for the nearest to you.  If you can go pick one up in person you can probably get one for < $100.   

Also be aware that most dealers list the specification of THE particular unit that they're trying to sell. Often a fixed frequency unit or a single phase output only model.  You need to look at the factory specs of the Power Source to see what their actual capabilities are and also look and the specs of the various plug ins that can be used with the Power Source.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 04:07:18 pm »
I have a single-phase mains source by Chroma that allows adjustment of frequency and voltage.
They also do a 3-phase source :

https://www.chromausa.com/product/3-phase-programmable-ac-source-61700/

Warning : I have found Chroma unhelpful regarding information about their older products.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:09:02 pm by artag »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 04:41:19 pm »
  I've never had to contact Elgar so I don't know how helpful they would be but I've played with about 10 or 12 of their units that were surplused and every one of them worked and I've been able to find manuals online for everything that I've looked for. Their stuff seems to be built like a brick outhouse and just never fails. I've seen other brands of AC Power Sources (I have a Pacific Scientific) but they're harder to find and there doesn't seem to be much documentation on them so I just stick to the Elgar brand and recommend them.

If you've got the room to keep one; the variable voltage, variable frequency, and up to three output phases, AC sources can be dammed handy at times!

If anyone is looking for one, there's currently one on that auction site that the seller is asking $160 for. He says that it doesn't work but the plug in that he has in it is meant to be driven by another unit so that's probably why it isn't working. I expect someone could buy it for a lot less than the asking price, especially if they could pick it up in person and save the seller the headache of packing and shipping it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2022, 05:15:46 pm »
I have a similar unit made by California Instruments. Mine is only single phase but they made 3 phase versions too. They are essentially a big linear audio amplifier with a step-up transformer on the output. The thing is very heavy and makes a lot of noise but it's handy to have around at times.

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2022, 05:22:03 pm »
As usual http://feeltech.net/ is down, but IRC they have a triple output AWG FY8300 and FY8400
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 09:47:56 pm by rvalente »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf